Anyone Have Good Pix of a JMSDF 'Kongou'-Class Destroyer?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Anyone Have Good Pix of a JMSDF 'Kongou'-Class Destroyer?

Post by Kanastrous »

More specifically, the bridge, most specifically the helm/rudder control/Lockheed mfg'd display console cluster in the center?

Doing some set design work for a Kongou-class bridge and the available reference pictures aren't cutting it. If anyone has decent images they'd be willing to share it would be very much appreciated.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Anyone Have Good Pix of a JMSDF 'Kongou'-Class Destroyer?

Post by RedImperator »

Where in the fuck have you been, dude? :D
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What is JMSDF?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Havok wrote:What is JMSDF?
Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force aka the Japanese Navy of today.
Kanastrous wrote:More specifically, the bridge, most specifically the helm/rudder control/Lockheed mfg'd display console cluster in the center?

Doing some set design work for a Kongou-class bridge and the available reference pictures aren't cutting it. If anyone has decent images they'd be willing to share it would be very much appreciated.
You're talking about this right? The modified Flight I Burke?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

RedImperator wrote:Where in the fuck have you been, dude? :D
Around, about, over, under and through. Been doing a bit of location work. 'Avatar' has been very good for keeping the phone ringing. Got into a proper training schedule which takes up a lot of what used to be slack time. Lots of new software to learn, too. Nice of you, to ask!
RogueIce wrote:You're talking about this right? The modified Flight I Burke?
Yes - there's obviously some variation in spelling. Oddly enough the JMSDF ships are built to 'commercial standard' rather than whatever the USN considers milspec - probably to save some yen.

Spent a few days scouting aboard USS Sterett, DDG-104 down in San Diego (had to have my security clearance reinstated). WOW. Amazing chunk of technology, that vessel. Even more impressive was the crew.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Kanastrous wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Where in the fuck have you been, dude? :D
Around, about, over, under and through. Been doing a bit of location work. 'Avatar' has been very good for keeping the phone ringing. Got into a proper training schedule which takes up a lot of what used to be slack time. Lots of new software to learn, too. Nice of you, to ask!
That's cool to hear. Thought you've just vanished into the mists of the Interwebs.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

RogueIce wrote:You're talking about this right? The modified Flight I Burke?
The resemblance is apparently only skin-deep; Stuart's mentioned that the two ships are actually quite different designs internally.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

They are; we were expecting that we could use our Arleigh Burke-class bridge as the Kongou-class with just a minor re-dress...but it's turning out that the Japanese design (while sharing a few bits of equipment) is *really* different.

You can see it first thing when you come aboard - the Kongous have this huge-seeming sort of lobby space amidships off the lateral deck companionways, where the first thing you run into on an Arleigh Burke is a cramped airlock leading into a more-or-less equally cramped companionway...also at least some of the Kongou class vessels have a VLS array built into the fantail where you'd find a helipad and/or hangar on an Arleigh Burke class ship.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

You should ask/PM Stuart, he probably has more than enough sources for this kind of thing.

Now how many of them are publicly available or so is another question. :D
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I'll pm him today...
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Am I reading this right; Hollywood is actually concerned about being caught out by trainspotters??

Good to see you again Karl, hope it's not just a fleeting visit!

EDIT: I can't believe you're involved in a game-to-film adaptation. A freaking board game adaptation.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

This is one of those shows where we're aiming for the best degree of technical accuracy we can achieve, and besides a bunch of crew people on the Sterett made us promise that we'd try and get the naval stuff right (there was much rolling of eyes and chuckling over...well, a whole bunch of recent Navy-type movies). Personally I like the projects where we try for verisimilitude.

Thanks for the welcome; much appreciated.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Kanastrous wrote:More specifically, the bridge, most specifically the helm/rudder control/Lockheed mfg'd display console cluster in the center?

From my personal collection:

Both of the Choukai in the GOO. Obviously, I don't have any internal pictures, but I like to think I am contributing.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Nice pictures.

GOO?
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Gulf of Oman