"Unbreakable Rules" of Anime (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

"Unbreakable Rules" of Anime (spoilers)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The other day I found myself watching the 7 part epic remake of "Giant Robo" for the first time. I caught the english dub, which wasn't all that bad.

Well upon watching the final 7th episode, Our Hero and Giant Robop face off aginst the Big Bad of the show, this Giant eyeball machine. After getting trounced and smacked down, our Hero races to get back to Giant Robo and reactivate him. He is faced with an army of minions from the bad guys of the show, but joined with allies as well.

After much excitement, he is about to get to Giant Robo when he is stopped by a thug, just as all hope seems lost, one of the main characters, who we all thought dead, suddenly reappears and saves our Hero. Shortly there after others who we thought Dead appear to him. My response?

"Oh oh, the dead heros are re-appearing, the badguy is going to be screwed!"

Sure enough, moments after their appearance, the Badguy is well indeed screwed and soundly defeated. The point behind this is that it seems to be an unbreakable rule of anime:

"If during a confrontation, Dead Heros or Friends of the main character show up, whoever he is facing will be defeated."

There are of course many others that I have noticed, another being:

"Any Power Ranger/ Voltron style group that uses a 'finishing move' attack stright away, will be defeated."
This is another one noted as well.

And I am curious how many other people have noticed various things an anime, not so much stereotypes of genera,s but basic "Rules" that, upon happening, we Know what will follow
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
verlieren
Redshirt

Re: "Unbreakable Rules" of Anime (spoilers)

Post by verlieren »

100 Rules of Anime. Though it's more like a joke, it pretty much hits the nail on the spot. And technically, power rangers isn't a anime...
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

There are of course many others that I have noticed, another being:

"Any Power Ranger/ Voltron style group that uses a 'finishing move' attack stright away, will be defeated."
This is another one noted as well.
This rule also applies to most magical girl shows and any other "sentai as a sub-theme" type shows.
You will see the tears of time.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

This doesn't happen in Gurren Lagann. Kamina's later 'ghost' appearance is a dream, where he represents what the protagonist, Simon, must NOT do.
Nor does it happen in Martian Successor Nadesico. Two prominent characters are killed, and it's lampooned that in real life, people don't come back from the dead.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Oh god, I remember that in Mai HiME, when... Spoiler
...the Obsidian Lord and HiME Star were destroyed by every main character, despite all his safety checks AND a recent carnival killing off all but one of the HiME. They were literally resurrected by a prayer!
And now, for my additions:
1. Constant pulling of out-of-left-field trump cards, a.k.a. the "DBZ method". Too many shounen stories fall into this, unfortunately... Can't win with what you have? Pull a new ability out of your - well, this depends on the story. ;)
2. A LOT of anime (especially the comedies) seem to go for the "open-ended" endings these days. It's as if writers no longer have the guts to make solid conclusions to their own stories, or characters, anymore.

More will follow later on...when I'm on an actual computer.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

It's hard to find a giant robot show post 1995 that doesn't have a big bad attempting Instrumentality.

Darn you, Evangelion!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Majin Gojira wrote:It's hard to find a giant robot show post 1995 that doesn't have a big bad attempting Instrumentality.

Darn you, Evangelion!
Yes yes even now Evangelion is finding new ways to screw with peoples minds :wink:
You will see the tears of time.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

For Martial arts anime (think Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya):

- It doesn't matter how powerful your current enemy is, next season your enemy will be far more powerful.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

In non-action shows, the quality of animation in a show's opening is inversely proportionate to the actual animation quality of the show.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

He who attacks first has already lost.

oh and Ken says you're already dead.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

you will always face the minions one at a time before facing the head honcho, allowing the character time to get strong enough to defeat said head honcho, whom could have crushed him easily at the start.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

You know that annoying side-character who pops up every once in a while to challenge the main character to a fight? Perhaps he/she's an opposing love interest or just a competitor/anti-hero? Don't worry, no matter how much you've trained/gained new powers/whatever between this time and the next time you meet them, they will have mysteriously gained just as much proficiency so as to still be able to annoy and fight you on an even ground.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

"If during a confrontation, ... Friends of the main character show up, whoever he is facing will be defeated."
Oddly enough, this usually doesn't apply to DBZ. Friends of Goku usually get killed / defeated.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Man, so many of these are just par for the course Shounen only tropes...
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

If tanks are featured in a mecha anime, they will automatically be outclassed by even the weakest grunt mecha simply by virtue of being tanks.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Majin Gojira wrote:Man, so many of these are just par for the course Shounen only tropes...
Perhaps you would enjoy a few Shojo tropes? :P

1. Every guy in a shojo anime is a bishonen. Every guy. Now, granted, this is probably what young girls like to see in Japan (and you won't see me complaining here either...), but I haven't seen many shojo where there is a healthy mix between pretty boys and (somewhat) manly-looking men.
2. This one may be somewhat unfair because of Japanese culture, but all-too-often I see shojo heroines becoming more "damsels-in-distress", just waiting or about to be rescued by their dreamy crushes. I know I know, many of us just want to be swept off our feet, and I guess this is the ultimate imagining of such a fantasy.
3. It's more of a general romance cliche than just shojo, but it deserves mentioning: Love can almost always be represented by a four-dimensional object. Think of it - every main character in a shojo anime has probably had a relationship with every other main character at some point in time (this is where yaoi fangirls come in). And, chances are, these relationships will have a chance to blossom once more! WARNING: This is an exaggeration of course, please take it with a grain of salt.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Majin Gojira wrote:It's hard to find a giant robot show post 1995 that doesn't have a big bad attempting Instrumentality.
No it isn't. And calling these rules unbreakable seems silly.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ford Prefect wrote:
No it isn't. And calling these rules unbreakable seems silly.
Very. Rules are made to be broken.

And I should have said "Super Robot" show instead of just "Giant Robot." I mean it takes me all of half a second to think of one without an assimilation plot (Shin Mazinger), and another half second to think of two more (Gaiking the Great, Kotushin Jeeg)! That's too long!
Browncoat

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Threads like these are what TVtropes was invented for.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:You know that annoying side-character who pops up every once in a while to challenge the main character to a fight? Perhaps he/she's an opposing love interest or just a competitor/anti-hero? Don't worry, no matter how much you've trained/gained new powers/whatever between this time and the next time you meet them, they will have mysteriously gained just as much proficiency so as to still be able to annoy and fight you on an even ground.
Although this doesn't apply in One Piece, whenever Coby shows up he's massively better than he was last time, and Luffy still one shots him every time.