14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Re: The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:Yeah, you got the Kongo fight to thank for that one. Then he fucking wrecked Rothwell in his next fight and people were still saying pillowhands, nevermind that it took Arlovski 3 rounds of hitting Rothwell with everything he had to knock him out and Arlovski is known for his vicious knockout power.
I think part of the problem is that yeah, Rothwell was obviously getting his shit wrecked fast, but the stoppage at UFC 104 looked pretty bad because Rothwell was standing up when Mazzagatti called it, and at the time even Velasquez conceded that Rothwell might have been able to continue, safely or not.
His sprawl's good but everything else still sucks. He still doesn't know how to cut off an Octagon and he can barely put a combo together.
... *watches a Badr Hari highlight (K-1 rules), remembers that Cro Cop once did this instead of MMA* Fuck! :evil:
You have no idea how much I wish it was Pride rules. Bisping would've been soccer kicked in the head and then you'd see a replay of Wandy's fight against Yuki Kondo. That would've totally made up for Nog's loss.
Dana's said that he thinks grounded head knees will eventually be legalized under the Unified Rules.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK. Having been there live (and having had pretty damn good seats) I can say that this was brilliant.

The crowd was definitely educated (except for the standard smattering of dicks - more on that later), as they were cheering for guard recoveries and passes and seemed to be digging the ground game.

There were some notable exceptions - behind us were a pack of ignorant douchebag Croats who any time a fight went to the ground would either complain that "it's over now, they should stop it, there's no point." or "stand them up, we didn't come to watch this." To which we would usually reply: "Go watch some kickboxing then." Also there were a few dicks who were chanting "BLOOD!" and of course the "Bisping's a wanker!" chant.

A few notes (having watched the "PPV" and prelims w/ commentary and camera angles):

The stoppage in the Te Huna fight was justified. It doesn't matter how much you stick your thumbs up, you weren't protecting your face from getting hit over and over and over. Even if they weren't "heavy" punches they still count for the purpose of demonstrating a failure to intelligently defend.

CB Dollaway should have been docked a point and had a draw - he grabbed the cage in the third to prevent a kimura/takedown combo that would have certainly either resulted in him tapping or getting a bad position. Instead, he grabbed the cage and held on and on and on, allowing himself to land in mount after the submission had been released. The ref didn't even give a warning. That was appaling and the crowd knew it. The result of that final round was in doubt up until that point and to have an illegal (and douche) move so drastically alter the outcome without so much as a warning - let alone a point deduction as it was such a blatant (and important foul) was shocking.

Chris Lytle ripped the shit out of Kevin Burns' knee. My friend next to me (who had kneebarred someone in the BJJ comp the previous day) was in shock at how awful Burns' knee looked. Watching him get carried/hobble out of the arena was deeply painful.

K SOS v Bonnar. Great fight. The ref is a fuckhead for not reviewing the footage of the cut and seeing it was a headbutt. But the UFC now have a great fight to sit near the top of a Fight Night card as a grudge match. We were all invited (through a mutual acquaintance) to K SOS' after party, but due to lack of nice attire a few of us couldn't go. I'm super bummed about that as him, Mayhem Miller, Bisping, Dollaway (who everyone hung shit on apparently) and many other recognisable sorts were there.

Cro-Cop would have been pissed that he didn't get to fight Rothwell as he would have been an overwhelming crowd favourite there. As it was, having Perosh step in a day out - well, he is an Aussie. And Aussie's love underdogs.

I've heard it said a few times now that if commissions were to ban the left hook Jardine would be the greatest fighter in MMA.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. I have ever experienced anything so loud from a crowd as there was throughout the Sotiropoulos v Stevenson fight. I'm not exaggerating to say that the place was shaking from all the stomping and cheering. Also - note in the background during the fight the constant: "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" going around the arena. But most impressive was the "Come on Aussie, come on. COME ON! Come on Aussie, come on. COME ON!" (Aussie cricket/sports chant). The crowd showed that it knew what was going on as passes, sweeps, submission attempts and even mission control (on a side note, we were sure we saw Eddie Bravo at the Joe Rogan show the night before) were sending the crowd wild. And when that buzzer went, and Buffer finally made the call? My ears hurt.

Wandy v Bisping. Bisping got a lot of hate simply because he was fighting Wandy. Australians are partisan if nothing else when it comes to sport. He did well and I agree with a lot of the talk that until that last 10 seconds that fight was up in the air. Also - Wandy's intro sent everyone ballistic. Even Bruce Buffer was grooving with the tune at the "prep point" (you can catch some of this on the PPV).

Big Nog v Velasquez. Well, that was fast. It seems that Captain Pillowhands' reputation is fast evaporating. He was faster to the punch and looked amazing. I think that we'll see him get the next title shot after Brock fights Mir/Carwin.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:The crowd was definitely educated (except for the standard smattering of dicks - more on that later), as they were cheering for guard recoveries and passes and seemed to be digging the ground game.
This is full of awesome and WIN; they may have long been deprived of the big UFC experience for years, but the MMA scene has grown and I'm glad to see that apparently the knowledge disseminated enough that the people... get it.
There were some notable exceptions - behind us were a pack of ignorant douchebag Croats who any time a fight went to the ground would either complain that "it's over now, they should stop it, there's no point." or "stand them up, we didn't come to watch this." To which we would usually reply: "Go watch some kickboxing then."
I wouldn't be surprised if they were fans of Cro Cop from his K-1 days who never got over his PRIDE run, much less his UFC run...
The stoppage in the Te Huna fight was justified. It doesn't matter how much you stick your thumbs up, you weren't protecting your face from getting hit over and over and over. Even if they weren't "heavy" punches they still count for the purpose of demonstrating a failure to intelligently defend.
I'm guessing that you would have wanted Kimbo vs. Roy Nelson stopped in R1?On Dollaway's fight and K-Sos vs. Bonnar, I'm guessing that Australia too needs the MMA ref? Sounds like the judges made the right calls on the decisions other than Dollaway's (albeit due to the lack of the referee's point docking)... but at least you're not in Virginia... heard the horror stories about that?
I've heard it said a few times now that if commissions were to ban the left hook Jardine would be the greatest fighter in MMA.
From other Aussies and/or MMA fans? I don't know why they think that, considering that just because the left hook is his Kryptonite, doesn't mean that he's the shit everywhere... but no idea why he can't fucking stop those left hooks...
Even Bruce Buffer was grooving with the tune at the "prep point" (you can catch some of this on the PPV).
A shame that he looks so "weird" now, because he did what he had to do, and there's a GIF of Buffer's grooving.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Edward Yee wrote:
weemadando wrote:The stoppage in the Te Huna fight was justified. It doesn't matter how much you stick your thumbs up, you weren't protecting your face from getting hit over and over and over. Even if they weren't "heavy" punches they still count for the purpose of demonstrating a failure to intelligently defend.
I'm guessing that you would have wanted Kimbo vs. Roy Nelson stopped in R1?On Dollaway's fight and K-Sos vs. Bonnar, I'm guessing that Australia too needs the MMA ref? Sounds like the judges made the right calls on the decisions other than Dollaway's (albeit due to the lack of the referee's point docking)... but at least you're not in Virginia... heard the horror stories about that?
Yeah, actually I think so. There is a point at which you have to realise that someone is outclassed/in an awful position and the only reason they aren't getting murdered is that their opponent is playing nice.

As for Dollaway and K-Sos v Bonnar - we had some good refs and some good judging. But there were egregious examples of how not to declare a finish to a fight/deal with a foul.

From other Aussies and/or MMA fans? I don't know why they think that, considering that just because the left hook is his Kryptonite, doesn't mean that he's the shit everywhere... but no idea why he can't fucking stop those left hooks...
It was spoken/written sarcastically on several MMA sites and podcasts.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, actually I think so. There is a point at which you have to realise that someone is outclassed/in an awful position and the only reason they aren't getting murdered is that their opponent is playing nice.
I think MMA judging/reffing is still undeveloped generally in determining this threshold; even though Herb Dean may be one of the best judges in the sport, he let that go in R1 and even defended his decision to let it continue as being due to the lack of damage/effort Roy Nelson seemed to be putting into trying to finish/go heavy.
As for Dollaway and K-Sos v Bonnar - we had some good refs and some good judging. But there were egregious examples of how not to declare a finish to a fight/deal with a foul.
Hopefully those will be good lessons going forward, as much as it sucks for K-Sos and Bonnar both. As for Dollaway... *facepalm* Twice armbarred by Sadollah, choked out by Lawlor-who'd-brought-Petruzelli-to-UFC 100-on-a-leash, now cheated-to-win...
It was spoken/written sarcastically on several MMA sites and podcasts.
Oh okay, I've seen it... it just seems oddly inexplicable to me for a specific technique to be an MMA fighter's recurring Kryptonite.

EDIT: Was corrected by Bellator as to how Dollaway was submitted by Sadollah
Last edited by Edward Yee on 2010-02-23 09:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

As for Dollaway... *facepalm* Choked out (?) by Sadollah
Armbar. Twice.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Editted accordingly.

Also, Infinite MMA is claiming that while Anthony Perosh was planning to fight his way back to the UFC, his loss to Cro Cop actually secured him a four-fight contract.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That's fairly typical. Taking a fight on short notice will always net you at least one other fight.

And going King Kong on your opponent when you have taken the fight on short notice (ref: Tim Boetsch/Tim Hague) gets you even better results.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Edward Yee wrote:
weemadando wrote:Yeah, actually I think so. There is a point at which you have to realise that someone is outclassed/in an awful position and the only reason they aren't getting murdered is that their opponent is playing nice.
I think MMA judging/reffing is still undeveloped generally in determining this threshold; even though Herb Dean may be one of the best judges in the sport, he let that go in R1 and even defended his decision to let it continue as being due to the lack of damage/effort Roy Nelson seemed to be putting into trying to finish/go heavy.
The best explanation I've heard goes as follows:

You don't have to break the guys arm to get a submission win, you simply have to threaten to and the ref has the right to stop it because of that threat, even if the guy doesn't tap. So if you've got the guy in a position on the ground where you have him controlled and are demonstrating that you can punch to the head at will, what's the difference?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bellator has announced it's Featherweight tourney bracket:

April 8th
Joe Warren (2-1) vs. Eric Marriott (17-2)
and
Georgi Karakhanyan (12-1-1) vs. Bao Quach (17-9-1)

April 15th
Wilson Reis (9-1) vs. Shad Lierley (5-2)
and
Patricio Pitbull (12-0) vs. William Romero (5-0)
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Chris Lytle ripped the shit out of Kevin Burns' knee. My friend next to me (who had kneebarred someone in the BJJ comp the previous day) was in shock at how awful Burns' knee looked. Watching him get carried/hobble out of the arena was deeply painful.
That was a holy shit moment, I'm so used to Lytle getting into slugfests and winning fight of the night bonuses, and then pulls out a brutal submission. The slow motion replay on the PPV hurt to watch, Burn's knee looked like it was dislocated and bent the wrong way.
That, and not fighting Brazilians named "Silva". Which is probably half the Brazilians in the UFC. There are days when I think they're all either named "Thiago" or "Silva", or both.
Holy. Fucking. Shit. I have ever experienced anything so loud from a crowd as there was throughout the Sotiropoulos v Stevenson fight. I'm not exaggerating to say that the place was shaking from all the stomping and cheering. Also - note in the background during the fight the constant: "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" going around the arena. But most impressive was the "Come on Aussie, come on. COME ON! Come on Aussie, come on. COME ON!" (Aussie cricket/sports chant). The crowd showed that it knew what was going on as passes, sweeps, submission attempts and even mission control (on a side note, we were sure we saw Eddie Bravo at the Joe Rogan show the night before) were sending the crowd wild. And when that buzzer went, and Buffer finally made the call? My ears hurt.
That was epic, he came out to Iron Man. I was pretty worried about Sotiropoulos for the first while, then I saw that he was actually beating Stevenson to the punches and working him in the ground game. Would've been awesome if he finished the omaplata attempt, hell, I haven't even seen an omaplata being attempted in ages in the UFC.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Notable crowd cat-calls at the event:

During the Dollaway/Reljic fight when they were both gassed and stalled on the ground: "YOU CAN DO EET!"

"Smash him Bader, he's a bum!"

"Send 'im back to the Death Star Keith!"

"Bisping - ya mums a terrible cook!"

"Who's your daddy now Joe?"
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:That, and not fighting Brazilians named "Silva". Which is probably half the Brazilians in the UFC. There are days when I think they're all either named "Thiago" or "Silva", or both.
Doesn't help that Thiago is a last name and a first name. There's only one named both, and he ain't lookin' too good right now.

NICE catcalls btw, weemadando.

*facepalm* "Same exciting action as mixed martial arts but when the fight hits the ground, fighters immediately stand-up! No ground just pound!"

Last year when they had this in Montreal (in a cage, 4-ounce gloves), somehow the governing body for combat sports didn't approve the striking-only ruleset, so they ended up using MMA rules without telling the crowd, instead having a "gentleman's agreement" not to go to the ground... James Thompson went "fuck that".

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Goddamn, that's just fucking stupid. Plus, the guy on the left of that poster looks like he belongs on Ru Pauls Drag Race.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

It was Brian Foster by the way, not Kevin Burns. Foster actually looked good in the beginning of that fight. Hope to see him back in action soon.
Edward Yee wrote:
weemadando wrote:There were some notable exceptions - behind us were a pack of ignorant douchebag Croats who any time a fight went to the ground would either complain that "it's over now, they should stop it, there's no point." or "stand them up, we didn't come to watch this." To which we would usually reply: "Go watch some kickboxing then."
I wouldn't be surprised if they were fans of Cro Cop from his K-1 days who never got over his PRIDE run, much less his UFC run...
Well, there were actually three Croatian fighters on the card: Pokrajac, Reljic, and Filipovic, all of whom are strikers. The Croatian fans may been just a bit biased against the ground game. :lol:
weemadando wrote:OK. Having been there live (and having had pretty damn good seats) I can say that this was brilliant.

The crowd was definitely educated (except for the standard smattering of dicks - more on that later), as they were cheering for guard recoveries and passes and seemed to be digging the ground game.
Yeah, I had a similar experience when I went to an IFL event 3 years ago where Ben Rothwell vs. Roy Nelson headlined. Most of the fans were knowledgeable of what was going on and were respectful. Although the sport has been popular in this area for years because of MFS being located here. Probably in Australia it's really grown fast in the last few years in particular.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Zadius wrote:Well, there were actually three Croatian fighters on the card: Pokrajac, Reljic, and Filipovic, all of whom are strikers. The Croatian fans may been just a bit biased against the ground game. :lol:
Why does this sound like the stereotype of Europe WRT MMA?

If I really only wanted to see stand-up, I'd just watch K-1... even if it's with 16 ounce gloves, at least there the skill level is higher.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Another random memory from the weekend, after Joe Rogan's standup show when he was talking to a small group in the foyer, the following (paraphrasing somewhat) was said:

"My dream is to have MMA become a team sport. You get a great big field, you put all the Dream guys on that side, and all the UFC guys on that side and just fucking GO! You'll have Brock in there 'BROCK SMASH!' and raping people... It'd be the greatest thing in the world. But the problem is that we couldn't do that now. We need another natural disaster like an earthquake, tsunami or meteor strike to happen and further devalue human life before we'd be allowed to have this."

Also some MMA related comments from during the show:

"In my job I'm surrounded by people who, if they wanted to, could rape me. 'Alright, I'm here with the champ Brock Lesnar. please don't rape me.' 'BROCK SMASH!'" [does gestures of Brock raping him - this goes on for some time.] "But what I'm really terrified about is Brock using me as a condom to rape something bigger."

"Frank Trigg has this weird belief that by fucking a woman in the ass, he's made them his. ... 'So, Frank, where's Michelle?' 'Dunno. Doesn't matter. I fucked her butt, where's she gonna go?" [again, this joke went on for a while, but you get the idea]

Crowd member [during call for things to state an opinion on]: "Bruce Buffer!"
Joe: "Bruce isn't here tonight, he's off surfing with fucking monsters that want to eat him at Bondi. Or, y'know, playing internet poker with his dick out. That's how he plays. Anytime you've played online with him, he has his dick out."

Crowd member [same scenario]: "The Octagon Girls!"
Joe: "Why would you want that? Those girls will bleed you dry. They will take everything your mother ever gave to you and leave you."
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

weemadando wrote:Another random memory from the weekend, after Joe Rogan's standup show when he was talking to a small group in the foyer, the following (paraphrasing somewhat) was said:

"My dream is to have MMA become a team sport. You get a great big field, you put all the Dream guys on that side, and all the UFC guys on that side and just fucking GO! You'll have Brock in there 'BROCK SMASH!' and raping people... It'd be the greatest thing in the world. But the problem is that we couldn't do that now. We need another natural disaster like an earthquake, tsunami or meteor strike to happen and further devalue human life before we'd be allowed to have this."

Also some MMA related comments from during the show:

"In my job I'm surrounded by people who, if they wanted to, could rape me. 'Alright, I'm here with the champ Brock Lesnar. please don't rape me.' 'BROCK SMASH!'" [does gestures of Brock raping him - this goes on for some time.] "But what I'm really terrified about is Brock using me as a condom to rape something bigger."

"Frank Trigg has this weird belief that by fucking a woman in the ass, he's made them his. ... 'So, Frank, where's Michelle?' 'Dunno. Doesn't matter. I fucked her butt, where's she gonna go?" [again, this joke went on for a while, but you get the idea]

Crowd member [during call for things to state an opinion on]: "Bruce Buffer!"
Joe: "Bruce isn't here tonight, he's off surfing with fucking monsters that want to eat him at Bondi. Or, y'know, playing internet poker with his dick out. That's how he plays. Anytime you've played online with him, he has his dick out."

Crowd member [same scenario]: "The Octagon Girls!"
Joe: "Why would you want that? Those girls will bleed you dry. They will take everything your mother ever gave to you and leave you."

Wow, was Rogan high during this? because whatever he was smoking I want some.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Koolaidkirby wrote:Wow, was Rogan high during this? because whatever he was smoking I want some.
Odds are good that he was high as a kite. Joe Rogan is a pretty well known marijuana user and activist.

Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Again from his show:

"Do I commentate high? Not anymore. Not since I accidentally used the phrase 'rape choke'. Seriously, I froze up as soon as my brain realised what I'd said. I expected to be pulled out of my chair and replaced at any second."
[guy in crowd]: "GOATS VAGINA!"
"Yet another good reason that I don't commentate high anymore."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I finally found it on Youtube, Joe Rogan commentating on a bag of ice at UFC 109

Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

aerius wrote:I finally found it on Youtube, Joe Rogan commentating on a bag of ice at UFC 109

Oh wow! the slow motion replay completely made my day.

"wow look at these stooges, now lets look at that again in slow motion"

obviously somebody in the booth had a sense of humor.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Can't be as bad as what looks at first glance like Vitor Belfort's wife indulging what appears to be a foot fetish... (His wife is Joana "Feiticeira" Prado, the only three-time Playboy Brazil cover girl.) No, I don't get any of this. :lol: It's not making fun of foot fetishists, Vitor Belfort or Feiticeira, it's the DirecTV logo in the corner, or ESPN Desportes right before...

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

MMA News wrote: How Good Is 5-0 In the UFC?

Wednesday, 03 March 2010 09:17 Written by by Giada Esposito on March 01, 2010 http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b35tD

When George Sotiropoulos defeated Joe Stevenson at UFC 110 to begin his UFC career a perfect 5-0 in the Octagon, he joined a very select group of fighters.
Only 12 active fighters on the UFC's current roster have begun their UFC careers with five straight wins, and the names on that list might surprise you.
Georges St. Pierre, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, and Tito Ortiz are not on the list. Nate Marquardt, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Dan Hardy all got their title shots after starting 4-0, and Marquardt and Gonzaga all saw their records fall to 4-1 afterward, with Hardy facing stark odds at UFC 111 against current welterweight juggernaut, Georges St. Pierre.
Among UFC lightweights, top contenders Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin, Sean Sherk, and Kenny Florian weren't able to achieve 5-0 starts. In fact, Sotiropoulos is the only active lightweight who has.
So, who are the dozen fighters in the "5-0 Club"? I'll count down the list from the top.
Anderson Silva, 10-0. Silva started his UFC career by breaking the unbeaten streaks of two other men, and seized the middleweight belt in just his second match, with a knockout of Rich Franklin at UFC 64: Unstoppable. It proved to be an accurate name for the event, as Silva has never looked back, owning the Octagon for the past four years as he has built a UFC record 10-fight winning streak, and finished nine of ten opponents in the process.
Lyoto Machida, 8-0. "The Dragon" stands at a perfect 16-0 in his career, and half of those wins have come inside the Octagon. The light-heavyweight champ holds notable UFC wins over Tito Ortiz, Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans, and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, though his recent title defense against Rua came by way of a very controversial unanimous decision.
Jon Fitch, 8-0. Fitch got off to a then-record 8-0 start in the UFC, including wins over Thiago Alves and Diego Sanchez, before earning a title shot against welterweight champ, Georges St. Pierre. Unfortunately for Fitch the Canadian phenom would end his perfect UFC record, but not before Fitch had gone the distance in an exciting five-round war.
Randy Couture, 7-0. "The Natural" began his UFC career with a dominant heavyweight performance that spanned seven fights, and victories over opponents which included Vitor Belfort, Kevin Randleman, and Pedro Rizzo. Couture went on to hold both the heavyweight and light-heavyweight belts and eventually earned a place in the UFC Hall of Fame. Couture's record start stood for nearly seven years, until Fitch passed the mark in 2008.
Rich Franklin, 7-0. Franklin showed us all just how tough a math teacher can be when he began his MMA career in 1999. "Ace" took the UFC middleweight title from Evan Tanner at UFC 53, one fight after stopping MMA legend Ken Shamrock with a first-round TKO in a light-heavyweight bout. Franklin's unbeaten UFC run ended at UFC 64 when Anderson Silva became just the second man to defeat him in more than 20 career fights.
Diego Sanchez, 6-0. "The Nightmare" followed up his victory over Kenny Florian on "The Ultimate Fighter" season 1 finale with an impressive string of Octagon wins. Sanchez's run included victories over Nick Diaz and Karo Parisyan before he finally came up up short in a decision loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC 69.
Cain Velasquez, 6-0. Velasquez has gotten off to a red-hot start in his UFC career, impressing fans since his first Octagon appearance. In his last three fights, Velasquez has defeated Cheik Kongo, Ben Rothwell, and, most impressively, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by way of a brutal first-round knockout at UFC 110. Velasquez's latest win put him in position for a possible heavyweight title shot later this year.
Rashad Evans, 5-0. Evans won the heavyweight division on season 2 of "The Ultimate Fighter" before dropping to compete at his more natural light-heavyweight size. Although Evans' five-fight win streak would end when he fought Tito Ortiz to a draw at UFC 73, he would go on to win the light-heavyweight belt just three fights later with a TKO of Forrest Griffin at UFC 92.
Chris Leben, 5-0. "The Crippler" followed up his stint as one of the more colorful fighters on season 1 of "The Ultimate Fighter" with a five-fight unbeaten streak to start his UFC career. Leben's most notable win came by way of split decision over heavy-handed Canadian Patrick Cote, but his reputation for being impossible to stop in the cage came to an end when Anderson Silva smashed him into unconsciousness less than a minute into their bout at Ultimate Fight Night 5.
Mike Swick, 5-0. Another competitor on season 1 of "The Ultimate Fighter", Swick competed on the show as a light-heavyweight before eventually dropping to middleweight and then welterweight in the UFC. Swick's early wins including victories over Joe Riggs and David Loiseau, and began with a 20-second knockout of Alex Schoenauer which earned him the nickname "Quick". Yushin Okami stopped Swick's streak at UFC 69, a loss that convinced Swick to drop to welterweight.
Demian Maia, 5-0. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Maia began his UFC career with five straight submission victories, winning submission of the night honors an amazing four times during that stretch. His first-round triangle choke of Chael Sonnen at UFC 95 was widely regarded as one of the best submissions of 2009, but Maia's run came to an end when he was knocked out early in the first round against Nate Marquardt at UFC 102. Maia came back with a victory over Dan Miller at UFC 109, and will have a chance to snap Anderson Silva's record UFC winning streak when the two square off for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 112.
George Sotiropoulos, 5-0. Sotiropoulos became the newest member of the "5-0 Club" with an impressive win over Joe Stevenson at UFC 110. The Aussie started his UFC career after competing as a welterweight on season 6 of "The Ultimate Fighter", but dropped to lightweight after winning his first two matches after the show, and being sidelined for a time with an injury. Sotiropoulos has already made a big impact as a lightweight, racking up three straight wins in the division and prompting UFC president Dana White to say that he could be in the mix for a title shot sometime within the year.

From the Bleacher Report
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Have a look at a Nevada ad for the US Census 2010, starring Forrest Griffin, Frank Mir, Dana White, and a one-line Arianny cameo.

This unfortunate US Marine qualified at the TUF11 tryouts... only for the commanding general, Training & Education Command (TECom) to refuse permission for him to go, due to high "op tempo" (he's a martial arts instructor-trainer at the Martial Arts Center for Excellence) and... well, the bad image of TUF based on previous seasons' antics. DAMN YOU WAR MACHINE/JUNIE!

Oh, and "some guy" named James Toney has signed with the UFC.