"The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

TimothyC wrote:TBN:JSA#2 generated a massive OH FUCK! at the end from me.
Yeah.
Spoiler
So, Zombie Kal-L is back in the game; great. Kinda fun seeing the Black Lanterns fuck with the JSA in a similiar manner to how Terra fucked with Geo-Force over in Outsiders.

Anyway, my thoughts on this weeks' releases:

* GL#50: So, we come full circle with Rebirth as we knew we would.

Let me get the bad out of the way. I've never been fully sold on the Parallax retcon and it wasn't primarily because of my preference towards Kyle over Hal. The Parallax retcon always felt too pat, that it was letting Jordan off the hook too easily and that it tried too hard to explain things. Even with all of the story developments over the last 5 years, I don't think it's aged well.

That having been said, I'm looking forward to seeing the Giant Yellow Fear Bug 'O Doom take on the Black Lantern Spectre. I also liked the little, but great character moments in this issue, from Scarecrow's delight at feeling fear again to Mera's bombshell revelation (and Atroctius' reaction) and especially Larfleeze trying to take back Luthor's ring.

* Atom & Hawkman # 46: Much as I loved Robinson coming back to Opal City, this is easily going down as my favorite of the resurrected titles. The Atom has always been one of my favorite DC characters and I was never happy with the direction his character took with Identity Crisis. The concept is one of DC's best and can work, as Ryan Choi's series demonstrated. Johns gets Palmer and delivers a nice epilogue to everything Ray's been put through since 2004. Johns gets the character and combined with his previous track record with Hawkman, I'd love to see a relaunched Hawkman/Atom book following TBN. My one complaint (aside that Ryan Sook wasn't able to do all the artwork) is that we didn't get a better insight into the Indigos, something that's overdue at this stage and after all of the teases.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

DC's posted the teaser cover for GLC# 46. It's a return that we've known would happen for over 2 years, but still...oh shit... :shock:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I forgot TBN: Wonder Woman # 3 was on sale this week.
Spoiler
Decent examination of Diana as a Star Sapphire, rematch with Max, and further expansion of Mera's revelation along with Diana's own secret.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Is it just me? Am I just overrating it? Or with the quality of all the tie-ins, the side-stories, and the main one, is Blackest Night actually kicking as much ass as we hoped it would?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

It's not just you.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

JME2 wrote:I forgot TBN: Wonder Woman # 3 was on sale this week.
Spoiler
Decent examination of Diana as a Star Sapphire, rematch with Max, and further expansion of Mera's revelation along with Diana's own secret.
I've found that a lot of the people who are fans of Wonder Woman feel that the tie-in just reaked of editorial mandate for its focus.

Part of it applies to the 7 year rule of comics, but the other part of it seems to focus on her being a Star Sapphire in the first place.

It's quite facinating to watch.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Bedlam
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bedlam »

What got me from the JSA storyline is how the black lanterns were working together and planning to acheve an overall goal. Some people have mentioned that something similar happened in Titans.

Where are the black lanterns getting this from? Previously they seemed to mostly target one or two individuals at a time linked to them and tried to drive them into the most extreem emotional reaction they could to feed on them. The rings seemed to down load a copy of their hosts mind and do as much psycological damage they could from that. The planning and team work shown now would suggest that their networked (which seems to be the case from the atom wandering around the network for a while). Now is there a central control for all this? Nekron would seem to be the leader but from the issues I've seen he doesn't seem to be doing much overall planning or control? Black hand seems to be much the same? Is it just the combined programming of all the rings being much more complicated that previously seem or is there something more?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

In the cases of the JSA and Titans, I think it's a combination of necessity (dealing with greater numbers) and also greater emotional potential. The JSA and the Titans especially are less teams than families as opposed to the JLA, the Outsiders, or any of the other DC teams. There's a greater potential for emotional harvesting, at least in my eyes.

Regarding Steve's querry, I would say overall it's been kicking ass on all fronts. As I noted a few pages back, certain surprises and developments haven't had the same impact as SCW because we knew they were coming this time and were logical outcomes. That having been said, I have immensely enjoyed seeing Johns' Green Lantern endgame play out and after the fuck-ups of the last few years, see an event near the finish line as strongly as it began.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Reminder that Adventure Comics 7, with Black Lantern Superboy came out today.
Spoiler
It made me think about a few things:

1. We now have two people who have fought through the effects of the ring with external help

2. Now we know what Conner's first body is doing during Blackest Night

3. The Black Ring's programing is limited and can't decide who to hit if there are more than one of the same target.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah.
Spoiler
I was curious how the issue of Connor's body in the present was going to be addressed and Bedard's take was satisfying.

But enough teases with the Dog of Steel! I want the long-promised Krypto vs. Dex-Starr fight... :twisted:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

We've got a shitload of updates for TBN's final months and the GL franchise's future:

* Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason are both leaving GLC. Gleason is especially going to be missed given that, no matter what you think of his art style, he's been with the GL franchise since Recharge. Their successors will be Tony Bedard and Ardian Syaf. Bedard's been doing well on R.E.B.E.L.S. and I'm curious if GLC will tie into the Starro storyline currently underway in R.E.B.E.L.S.. I liked Syaf's style for TBN: Batman, so I'm curious to see him take on the Lanterns. In addition, the cast will be changing, involving a new Honor Guard including Spoiler
John Stewart and Ganthet.
* In regards to Tomasi, he's still involved with the mythos. He will helming a third ongoing GL book: Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, penciled by Fernando Pasarin and starring Guy with regular apperances by Killowog.

* In regards to Gleason, however, he is also still involved with the Lanterns after a fashion. He is one of the initial line-up of artists for TBD. The others include Adrian Syaf (pulling double duty on GLC), Scott Clark, and Ivan Reis (which explains the post-TBN project he was talking about). Recent Marvel defector David Finch will be providing the covers; the cover to issue 2 is included in the above link and...
Spoiler
...it's a good take on Aquaman -- not to mention confirmation of the return of the King.
* IGN has posted a preview of GL # 51. As always, Larfleeze is comedic gold and steals the show... :twisted:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

IGN has also posted previews of GLC# 35 and TBN: Flash # 3, both on sale this week.

The former looks to be more red rage and the latter should leave the Rogues in an interesting place prior to the relaunch of the Flash's title.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

My thoughts on this weeks' tie-ins:
Spoiler
GREEN LANTERN# 51
I kinda wish that the Parallax fight had continued into the main event, but at least the Spectre subplot is wrapped up (and again illustrating the uselessness of the character in a combat situation). I liked that even as he was bringing stuff to a head, Johns is already looking ahead and planting seeds for the post-TBN direction of GL in the form of the Emotional Avatars. Where and what is the Rage Entity? Who abducted Parallax? How does Hammond know about 'it'? Will 'it' capture the Predator? Based on villains Johns said he'd be focusing on back at Comic-Con, it may be Henshaw or Evil Star, though even money's on the latter.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS# 45
Somewhat disappointed at how Red Lantern Guy was neutralized, but who knows? Guy's lingering Rage could end up playing a crucial part in the final battle, as Johns' Booster Gold run hinted at. And at last, now the remaining Earth Lanterns and their crew are about to rejoin the main narrative for the first time since July.

TBN: THE FLASH # 3
This has definitely been my favorite of the tie-in mini-series and the strongest issue of this one. Bart breaking free of the Black Ring elicited a "Hell yeah" from me and Owen, while sympathetic, got what he had coming. Never, ever piss off Cold. And again, Johns lays seeds with the scene in Professor Zoom's cell. It's always great to have Johns and Kollins working with the Flash mythos.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the final issue of TBN: JSA and the penultimate issue of TBN are on sale this week.

Also, Comic Book Resources has posted an interview with upcoming GLC writer Tony Bedard, who gives soem tibdits on what awaits the GLC in the aftermath of their greatest battle:
Spoiler
* In addition to John, Kyle, and Ganthet, the main cast will also consist of Soranik and Hannu of the Lost Lanterns. Kinda sad to lose everyone else, but assuming that Arisia, Isamot, Iolande, and Vath make it out TBN alive, chances are good they'll be joining Guy in the third book.

* There will be no crossover between GLC and REBELS as a result of the Starro storyline that's been brewing for the last year; Bedard acknowledges that in the aftermath of TBN, it's time for a break from crossovers.

* Bedard's first arc is titled "Revolt of the Alpha-Lanterns". Very interesting; I have a few ideas as to what could set this motion, but this all hinges on developments in the closing issues pf TBN.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

BN7 spoilers
Spoiler
Sinestro as the host to the White Lantern Entity? Who saw that coming? I certainly didn't.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

TimothyC wrote:BN7 spoilers
Spoiler
Sinestro as the White Lantern Entity? Who saw that coming?
Well...
Spoiler
...even without Ganthet's warnings in "Rage of the Red Lanterns", I've had a feeling for a while that something was gonna happen involving Sinestro, that he would critical to the climax of TBN. He's been a part of a the GL mythos and Johns' saga since the very beginning and is linked intrinsically to Hal. His character arc from Rebirth onwards has been just as important as Hal's arc. For the record, I had a similiar feeling regarding Connor's character arc after "The Insiders" and was proven correct in Infinite Crisis. But I thought it would be Hal and Sinestro taking on Nekron and Sinestro sacrificing himself to stop the big bad.

And once the rumor got started, I knew there was a good chance we'd see a White Lantern emerge, wielding all 7 emotions. But I thought it'd be Hal, that it would be the payoff to Hal utilizing almost every emotion. Sinestro becoming the White Lantern was a nice twist and the fulfillment of both his and Lyss Drak's predictions back in SCW, that Sinestro would be the greatest Green Lantern again.
I'm off to dinner, but I'll post more thoughts on this penultimate issue later.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

That was quite the issue, especially the end. I saw a motivational poster of it on 4chan and thought it had to be a shop.
Spoiler
I hope Scarecrow gets his ring back, he was actually doing a good job with it. He was certainly far more combat effective than Luthor.

The biggest thing to draw from this is probably the whole "life started on Earth" thing. I wonder just what that life will be revealed to be. The Guardians interacted with it obviously and put it somewhere. I wonder if the Emotional Entities are all considered to be the first Lives that the Guardians stole away from Earth.

The multi-light innards of the Guardian Nekron killed was a nice touch (probably a relation to how much they suppress their emotions that they glow with them on the inside), as was Nekron's questioning of them and their mission.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

avatarxprime wrote:The biggest thing to draw from this is probably the whole "life started on Earth" thing. I wonder just what that life will be revealed to be. The Guardians interacted with it obviously and put it somewhere. I wonder if the Emotional Entities are all considered to be the first Lives that the Guardians stole away from Earth.[/spoiler]
That was my thought, too.
Spoiler
I fully expect this to explored either in the final issue or within TBD.

And the revelation that life began on DCU Earth -- it's a nice spiritual successor to a monologue given by Despero about 10 years back in Johns and David Goyer's JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice, that Earth was the target of so many interstellar conquerors because it had managed to maintain its diversity while it had been stamped out elsewhere. It's also the culmination of stuff going back 25 years to COIE; it explains Earth's importance in every Crisis-level event and it's status as the foundation of the new multiverse. I personally have no problem with this retcon, though I know a few die-hard DC fans are going nuts.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hey, I'm here from Crow Delivery Service. I'm trying to find a Mr. Grant Morrison, he has a full order of crow that is to be shoved violently down his throat due to the comparison of his "epic" Crisis event versus Mr. Johns'. :twisted:
Spoiler
And yeah, I didn't quite see the bit with Sinestro being the "White Lantern" coming either....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Hey, I'm here from Crow Delivery Service. I'm trying to find a Mr. Grant Morrison, he has a full order of crow that is to be shoved violently down his throat due to the comparison of his "epic" Crisis event versus Mr. Johns'.
It's almost ironic in a way. The concept of the emotional spectrum and the entities is exactly the kind of big idea that Morrison is known for. And yet, Johns' development of it over the last 5 years has been free of hallucinogenic, fourth-wall breaking, elitist bullshit. It's allowed it to emerge as one of DC's best concepts and a fascinating take on spirituality, emotion, and philosophy. The Blue Lanterns' mantra of "All will be well" has become something of a motto/goal for me in the current climate.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Is that so? Then why do you have Sinestro as your sigtag and his corps oath in your sig? :P 8)

Heh, I need a good sigtag. Naturally I'd go with the GLC.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Is that so? Then why do you have Sinestro as your sigtag and his corps oath in your sig? :P 8)
Because fear is powerful ally -- that and I haven't had time to make another Blue Lantern sig. :wink:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Let me expand on my post from last night, because I realized I jumped from point A to point C and skipped point B.

Geoff Johns has done a lot for me as a DC reader over the years. This isn't blind praise for the man. Much as I love his stuff, even I disagree with certain stories or decisions he's made (example - The Flash: Rebirth). That having been said, I can't deny that he's made me a fan of many characters I'd have overlooked in the past, from Hawkman and Hawkgirl to Captain Cold & the Rogues and especially Superboy. I expect a good focus on characterization and a good plot from his books and enjoy reading his stuff.

But his Green Lantern run is ultimately, I think, going to go down as my favorite of these tenures. We've had the Sinestro Corps War and the Ysmault prophecies, but a large part of it is due to the focus on emotions. The emotional spectrum is such a fascinating concept. It's easily one of Johns' best contributions to DC alongside his streamlining of Hawkman's origin and the revitalization of the Rogues.

Like I said last night, it's a fascinating take on spirituality, emotion, and philosophy. The themes and beliefs have been resonating with me more and more over the last year (And I'm not the only one whose feeling a resonance. Look at the fans wearing the Corps shirts at conventions. Look at the sales charts). I've been struggling with rage and fear on a daily basis because of present conditions. I've been trying not to give in, I've been trying to overcome tremendous fear in my life and fight off the anger it produces. Like I said, the Blue Lanterns' mantra of "All will be well" has become something of a motto/goal for me in the current climate.

I guess what I'm trying to ultimately say is that these stories, these themes, and these characters have become very important to my current life and I hope they remain so for the foreseeable future.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It is not surprising the themes of emotions and how they influence people would be so relevant to a person undergoing hard times, and these are indeed hard times.

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Spoiler
Not surprised about Sinestro becoming the White Lantern, I thought they were going to throw us a curve on that one, and while I did think Sinestro was a canidate, I was really hoping they would go with something weird, like Greed winning out the day. Almost thought I was going to be right on that one too when Luthor started going ring crazy.

I am also glad to see that they are already seemingly setting up continuing plot lines for some of the other corps, with foreshadowing of Atrocius and the Red Entity. That means that they other corps are going to stay after this event, which couldn't make me happier. My biggest fear with the ending of Blackest Night is that the status quo was going to be brought back with just the Green Lanterns flying about space. Oddly enough, for as silly an idea as it is at face value, I really like all of the new corps, and them sticking around will keep me interested in Green Lantern after this event(which was really my first time being brought into the DC universe, I had been a very casual fan of Marvel most of my life).

Also I must second or third giving Scarecrow that damn ring back. So Batman looses one of his classic villians, Yellow Lantern Scarecrow is too fucking awesome to give up.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite