Moderator: Edi

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

No more swearing in California

Post by aerius »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02 ... itics%2529
California State Legislature Establishes 'Cuss Free Week'
AP
California lawmakers have a history of trying to keep the state's air and waters clean. Now they're tackling language.

Californians had better start watching their mouths.

The state Assembly passed a resolution Thursday that would establish the first week of March as "Cuss Free Week" throughout the state. If approved by the Senate next week, the measure would take effect immediately.

The resolution includes no enforcement mechanism and is simply meant to promote greater harmony and connectedness, said Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, a Democrat from La Canada Flintridge and co-author of the measure.

"I've always wondered why we behave differently when grandma is watching than when we're on our own," said Portantino, who owned up to his share of four-letter words.

Portantino said the California Legislature -- known for imposing strict clean air and clean water laws -- is the first state legislative body in the nation to consider a statewide profanity-free week.

The resolution was inspired by a South Pasadena teenager, McKay Hatch, who started a No Cussing Club at his junior high school in 2007. Similar clubs have since cropped up in every state and 20 countries.

Hatch, who traveled to Sacramento with his family to support the resolution, said he sees a link between foul-mouthed incivility and other forms of problem behavior, such as drug use and bullying.

Next up for the 16-year-old? Promoting no-cussing measures in other states and internationally.

"Next year I want to do a world tour," he said. "Cussing is a hard habit to break, but anyone can do it."

That about sums up what I think of it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: No more swearing in California

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

unenforcable we are the state of the big labowski, your not a real denizen of Californication unless you drop cluster f-bombs on a regular basis...

fucking hell Rage Against the Machine is from Californication, and they have a whole song made up of fuck you.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The whole state financing system's tumbling into a black hole but it's far more important to tackle the vital issue of Californians saying "fuck" all the time.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

I'm predicting a rise in swearing from many people.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Fuck you, California. :P

We really don't need more puritanical bullshit in this country. I don't remember who said it, but "you can't say 'fuck the government' if you can't say 'fuck.'"
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Who the fuck is this fucking little sixteen year old shit and why the fuck did this fucking little shit (god damnit it's fucking hard to keep this fucking sentence coherent) get his assless panties all in a fucking tangle over fucking cussing? Is he a Mormon? I have (*looks at the desk*) twenty five cents on him being a Mormon.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Half my family lives in California, I will be advising them to celebrate this week in their own special fashion... if they aren't already intending to fucking do so themselves.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Mayabird wrote:Who the fuck is this fucking little sixteen year old shit and why the fuck did this fucking little shit (god damnit it's fucking hard to keep this fucking sentence coherent) get his assless panties all in a fucking tangle over fucking cussing? Is he a Mormon? I have (*looks at the desk*) twenty five cents on him being a Mormon.
Why, surely you also see the connection between the use of profanity and "drug use and bullying"! I'm sure there are some statistics on the matter, somewhere.

Really though, this deserves to get mocked and this kid is just a bit too much of a busy-body for my liking. What a waste of time.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Formless wrote:We really don't need more puritanical bullshit in this country. I don't remember who said it, but "you can't say 'fuck the government' if you can't say 'fuck.'"
A paraphrase of the philosopher Lenny Bruce.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Cool, thanks Degan. :)
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I was always fond of this bit as my preferred demonstration of the usage of not so much the word 'fuck', but rather 'FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'

(NSFW, obviously)

They ought to get some loudspeakers or megaphones and just sit on street corners swearing all week.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

The kid sounds like the same kind of little puritanical shit I was when I was sixteen. Surprised he hasn't asked his parents to homeschool him to keep him away from all the bad words! :roll:

See, I was homeschooled, and I literally didn't hear the word "fuck" until I got to college. Literally. Didn't even know about it. I looked it up in the dictionary freshman year.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

George Carlin would be rolling in his fucking grave if he knew about this shit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I checked out that No Cussing website. I just have one question: what the fuck is up with the random picture of the black guy next to the words "So Ya Wanna Hang With Us?"?
Frankly it's a little insulting. I mean, it's the only picture of a guy on the whole page, and he's obviously meant to be dressed in a "hip hop style". Do we need to be reminded of how black people are supposed to talk? Dats how dem urban folks be spittin, right yo? I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, though. Is it supposed to be a reference to some really old rapper's catch phrase? I don't recognize the guy, is he a Fat Boy or something?

All this illustrates is that it's perfectly possible to be thoughtless and insensitive without swearing at all. The fact that it's being illustrated on the McKay Hatch's own fucking website is priceless irony.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

The resolution includes no enforcement mechanism and is simply meant to promote greater harmony and connectedness
I hate when people pass laws that they have no intention of enforcing. I don't want this law enforced, because that would require a police state. I just don't want stupid decorative shit like this cluttering up the system. Also, I'm afraid some puritanical type will come into a position of power with this obscure, unenforced law on the books, and decide to enforce it.
"Cussing is a hard habit to break, but anyone can do it."
While I believe in decorum and self-restraint, making a law like this will not encourage people to break that habit. You can't legislate decorum any more than you can legislate morality. If laws could cause either of those qualities to appear in people, we'd have passed such laws and have a happier society.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'd love to see people try to propose this in New York (the Fuck You State). Comedy gold.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Does anybody see the repeat of this story anywhere else? I noticed that this is from Fox News and them being a Right-Wing speechpipe and California being a left-wing state, I would imagine that this is the usual smear.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:Does anybody see the repeat of this story anywhere else? I noticed that this is from Fox News and them being a Right-Wing speechpipe and California being a left-wing state, I would imagine that this is the usual smear.
I saw it on MSNBC but it was pretty much just a repost.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

If you look close it's the Associated Press that came up with the story. Fox may be the one carrying the story in this case, but you can see a little AP just under the article's headline.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Liberty Ferall wrote:The kid sounds like the same kind of little puritanical shit I was when I was sixteen. Surprised he hasn't asked his parents to homeschool him to keep him away from all the bad words! :roll:

See, I was homeschooled, and I literally didn't hear the word "fuck" until I got to college. Literally. Didn't even know about it. I looked it up in the dictionary freshman year.
Tangential and OT, but what the hell was that like?

As for the OP: What is the enforcement supposed to be like? Is this just a suggestion, or are there fines to go along with it, or what? Or is it just some meaningless bullshit 'feel-good' legislation?
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Akhlut wrote:
As for the OP: What is the enforcement supposed to be like? Is this just a suggestion, or are there fines to go along with it, or what? Or is it just some meaningless bullshit 'feel-good' legislation?
I would expect this legislation to get smashed to bits the moment it gets challenged for violating first amendment rights.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I've come up with a good slogan for this.

"Fuck Free Speech"
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

General Zod wrote:
Akhlut wrote:
I would expect this legislation to get smashed to bits the moment it gets challenged for violating first amendment rights.
Obviously, but I'm still curious as to how it is supposed to be enforced, if at all. Was it just a suggestion by the state? Then why legislate it? Shit, this is just fucking mindboggling.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

It is a resolution with no enforcement power whatsoever, yes, so it's just a suggestion that the state legislature wasted your tax dollars (if you're a Calistani) on debating, discussing, voting upon, and recording into the official record.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

Akhlut wrote:
Liberty Ferall wrote:See, I was homeschooled, and I literally didn't hear the word "fuck" until I got to college. Literally. Didn't even know about it. I looked it up in the dictionary freshman year.
Tangential and OT, but what the hell was that like?
I went to a state school, so needless to say, I had quite the culture shock. The language was what shocked me the most. I used to ask people I was around to not use such language. I basically coped by being involved in Campus Crusade for Christ and making friends with people there. Unbeknownst to me, our hall director had put all the girls who mentioned "church" "Bible reading" "youth group" etc. on forms they sent in about their interests on the same floor, so actually the dorm floor I was on was fairly Christian. The end of my freshman year, I ran for hall council president (of the whole dorm building, eight floors total) and lost because people considered me too puritanical and were afraid of what I would do. That summer I decided to stop wearing handmade clothing and get myself an entire new wardrobe.
I think it's the same kind of thing as February being "African American History Month" and that kind of thing. You know, National Day of Prayer, etc.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin