Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

Post by Stark »

Are you kidding? First, it was a choice between the ranting, xenophobic crybaby Ashley and the sexy beast of smouldering power that is Kaiden. Secondly, it was the end of the game and I they're both pretty useless anyway. I didn't even hesitate. 8)
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

PeZook wrote:There was an actual choice on Virmire, now that I think about it, where you had to leave a character to die. That was good: an actual choice with actual consequences between two characters that were at least likeable. In ME2 they dumped this idea for some reason, severely reducing the dramatism of the final mission: Shepard doesn't have to make sacrifices, doesn't have to make a single harsh decision. Again, upgrading or not is not a choice: you do it if you can, because only a completely incompetent retard wouldn't. Unless you make a dumbass decision when it comes to assigning people to their various tasks, blowing up the Collector base is a breeze.

I like that they force you to make a choice, but I don't like that whichever character lives steps into the others shoes exactly, so far as to have nearly identical dialogue in ME2.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

adam_grif wrote: I like that they force you to make a choice, but I don't like that whichever character lives steps into the others shoes exactly, so far as to have nearly identical dialogue in ME2.

Though Ashley still managed to be even bitchier when bitching at her former C/O for him saving the damn galaxy without her.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:Are you kidding? First, it was a choice between the ranting, xenophobic crybaby Ashley and the sexy beast of smouldering power that is Kaiden. Secondly, it was the end of the game and I they're both pretty useless anyway. I didn't even hesitate. 8)
That and it makes no difference because they both fulfill the same role in ME2. They just have different dialogue and back story. Now if you gained Ashley because she wants to join Cerubus, cause she is a crazy closet racist, and Kaiden attacks you because you betrayed the Alliance or some such nonsense, then at least it was something.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

On Virmire, there is also the option to kill Wrex, so lets give Bioware some credit. How much credit, I'm not sure because I didn't kill him and don't know what the effects are in the rest if the story or in ME2.

P.S. Spoiler anything about it though because I will play through both games as a renegade one day... I SWEAR IT!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Havok wrote:On Virmire, there is also the option to kill Wrex, so lets give Bioware some credit. How much credit, I'm not sure because I didn't kill him and don't know what the effects are in the rest if the story or in ME2.

P.S. Spoiler anything about it though because I will play through both games as a renegade one day... I SWEAR IT!
The default "canon" of the game if you don't import an ME1 file is that you killed Wrex after all. I don't know what happens during ME2 if you let him live, but from everything else I'd assume things don't change terribly much.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

It's not a huge difference from the point of view of the player in ME2, but the implication is there that it might give you trouble in ME3 when it comes time to assemble your Grand Army to go to the Landsmeet...:)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Vendetta wrote:
adam_grif wrote: I like that they force you to make a choice, but I don't like that whichever character lives steps into the others shoes exactly, so far as to have nearly identical dialogue in ME2.

Though Ashley still managed to be even bitchier when bitching at her former C/O for him saving the damn galaxy without her.
C'mon. Why do people do this. That is a complete misrepresentation of her argument.
She is pissed that he is working with Cerberus, who was killing Alliance Admirals and soldiers, as well as conducting pretty horrible experiments throughout the whole first game. Aside from Sovereign and his followers, they were the other major enemy you fought.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

General Zod wrote:
Havok wrote:On Virmire, there is also the option to kill Wrex, so lets give Bioware some credit. How much credit, I'm not sure because I didn't kill him and don't know what the effects are in the rest if the story or in ME2.

The default "canon" of the game if you don't import an ME1 file is that you killed Wrex after all. I don't know what happens during ME2 if you let him live, but from everything else I'd assume things don't change terribly much.
Wait, so the default canon of the game is to be a complete cock in the first game and kill Wrex, destroy the genophage cure, let the Council die and cause the final extinction of the Rachni? Awesome. :lol:
Last edited by Havok on 2010-03-04 02:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Havok wrote:
General Zod wrote:

Wait, so the default canon of the game is to be a complete cock in the first game and kill Wrex and the Council? Awesome.
Pretty much. A fresh ME2 game assumes you killed Wrex and the Council. So the new council is human-ran and the major races aren't terribly happy with you for it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Damn you fast responder! I edited a bit... still accurate? It's the tidbits that I picked up.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Havok wrote:Damn you fast responder! I edited a bit... still accurate? It's the tidbits that I picked up.
I don't remember hearing anything significant about the Rachni, so I'm not sure on that part.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

They only thing said about them is, when you are on Illos, the Queen's emissary will stop you and relay a message from the Queen. If you didn't hear from her, then the default must be that they are extinct.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Havok wrote:They only thing said about them is, when you are on Illos, the Queen's emissary will stop you and relay a message from the Queen. If you didn't hear from her, then the default must be that they are extinct.
Illium. You don't meet many people on Ilos in ME2, considering that you never go there. :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You shut up jerk wad. You knew what I meant. :finger:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Wrex is quite possibly the most dangerous Krogan in Mass Effect now. He's got Grunt -a pure genetic strain- in his clan now, and is building a solid, stabilized Krogan society now. He's in a classic warlord scenario; big, skilled and tough enoughto force his opponents to heel, but smart enough to do it behind the scenes in a manner where he likely won't have to raise a weapon in anger at all.

That's what I got from talking to him on Tuchanka, anyway. If he can pull off gathering the Krogan clans under his banner and make an army rather than a horde, things will get interesting.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Highlord Laan wrote:

Wrex is quite possibly the most dangerous Krogan in Mass Effect now. He's got Grunt -a pure genetic strain- in his clan now, and is building a solid, stabilized Krogan society now. He's in a classic warlord scenario; big, skilled and tough enoughto force his opponents to heel, but smart enough to do it behind the scenes in a manner where he likely won't have to raise a weapon in anger at all.

That's what I got from talking to him on Tuchanka, anyway. If he can pull off gathering the Krogan clans under his banner and make an army rather than a horde, things will get interesting.
Yeah thanks dude. I already knew all that.

You are also forgetting the most dangerous aspect of Wrex... He is Sheppard's bro. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

What happens if you kill Wrex, what I recall anyways:
Spoiler
IIRC Wrex's brother is head of the clan and is far more traditional then Wrex. He lacks Wrex's vision to change the Krogan though and it's basically business as usual for them.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

He's also the guy from the first game that looks the most happy to see Shepard again.

Edit: Never mind.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

neoolong wrote:He's also the guy from the first game that looks the most happy to see Shepard again.

Edit: Never mind.
Well, at least Liara is pretty happy to see Shepard if she was your character's romantic interest in the original game.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Havok wrote: You are also forgetting the most dangerous aspect of Wrex... He is Sheppard's bro. :D
There really is no better power than having a bad ass motherfucker drop by every now and then with his crew of bad ass motherfuckers and ask "do you have any sidequests problems I can solve for you bro? Enemies to kill, negotiations to complete, rare parts to find? I'm up for anything."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well, at least Liara is pretty happy to see Shepard if she was your character's romantic interest in the original game.
Yeah but I bet you didn't have a big fat stupid smile on your face when you met Liara, as opposed to Wrex. That scene was awesome. He was the only guy you met who responded like he actually fucking missed you.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

The best part about Tuchanka is that, even if you're otherwise playing a Paragon, you can do all the Renegade stuff you want without feeling guilty; since you're dealing with Krogan, you aren't being a dick, you're being culturally sensitive.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Jaevric wrote:The best part about Tuchanka is that, even if you're otherwise playing a Paragon, you can do all the Renegade stuff you want without feeling guilty; since you're dealing with Krogan, you aren't being a dick, you're being culturally sensitive.
Indeed. Actually as a rule I did all the Renegade interrupts possible (that weren't just acting like an asshole) that came up through my Paragon playthrough - almost to a one they're simply, you know - smart.

The bit I loved on Tuchanka was when you're talking to Wrex and Grunt says that Okeer is dead, and Wrex says:-

"Of course he is. You're with Shepard. How could he be alive?"
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Jaevric wrote:The best part about Tuchanka is that, even if you're otherwise playing a Paragon, you can do all the Renegade stuff you want without feeling guilty; since you're dealing with Krogan, you aren't being a dick, you're being culturally sensitive.
I'm certain Wrex would by no means be surprised to hear about Shepard headbutting a clan chief. :D
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.