What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Stark »

I've read more scifi than fantasy, unfortunately. Witcher and Nightwatch are about the only fantasy I can recommend, but they're both a thousand times more interesting than another rehash of the same DnD plot.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Tolstoy, the descendant of the more famous Tolstoy writes good fantasy

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore. It's awesome. After giving up on the Dragonlance Chronicles halfway through, the Icewind Dale is a cool breeze compared to the stench from the Dragonlance rubbish dump.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Finished "Professional Care and Finishing of Gun Metal" by John E. Traister. Quite a good book for one interested in such things. I'm definitely building a home caustic-bluing setup soon, but first, an electroless nickel plating setup,
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I've almost finished Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles: From 1946 to the Present, by Steven Zaloga. The Soviet APC and IFV designs were pretty screwy.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Just finished reading Fantasy in Death by Nora Roberts writing under the pen name J.D. Robb. It's a quite good blend of futuristic (2060s) science fiction, police proceedural, and romance novel - as is the whole In Death series.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Halfway through Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon. I want a cortical stack implant.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I'm currently reading Armour in Conflict, by Ian V. Hogg.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Einstein's Universe by Caldwell. Quite dated, having been written around the centennial of Einstein's birth, but interesting nonetheless.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Intio
Youngling

Post by Intio »

Currently reading "An Imaginary Tale, The Story of Root -1" by Paul J. Nahin. I already knew a bit about imaginary numbers and how to manipulate them, but even so the author doesn't introduce them in a particularly intuitive way. Chapter 3 and 4 would have been better starting points for the book, with the mathematical history of chapters 1 and 2 coming later. Having said that, Norwegian mathematician Wessel's proof of i being perpendicular to the real axis was so short and obvious, and the author does well to highlight it for its importance.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Almost finished with Jon Meacham's American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. The book is thoroughly researched, has plenty of new material to add to the subject, and is accessible. I chose to read it because Doris Kearns Goodwin, who wrote one of my favorite history books (Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) endorsed it.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Just read Magician from the Rift War saga, for the first time. I wasn't terribly impressed. Enjoyable paint-the-numbers fantasy.

I liked the characters more than the plot, though the characters got worse as they got older, especially Tomas. They all had a faint whiff of Mary-sue about them, but I didn't much mind them except for Tomas. I didn't like the off-stage (or at least, poorly set up) deaths either. I could almost hear Feist chuckling "HaHA! Want to find out what happened? You'll have to read the sequels! MWHAHAHAH!"

The carboard cut-out Elf queen annoyed me a great deal, considering she's such a minor character. Actually, because she's such a minor character, and acts like it. Galadriel she wasn't.

I liked the Tsuaranni. I'd read the Mistress of the Empire series beforehand whilst on holiday, and enjoyed them immensely, and as I'm not really a Japanophile (or whatever the term is) the Japan/Aztec based civilization was pleasantly different to the usual mediaeval England/Denmark set up.

Am I alone in finding Pug's (and therefore the author's) casual assertion that Tsuaranni culture is headed for doom terribly arrogant, given that he's basically dismissing Feudal Japan as a timebomb? OK it wasn't great, but was it really THAT bad?

The Cho-ja were cool, but probably because I really liked them in the Mistress of the Empire series.

I'd give the book 6, maybe 7 out of 10. Pulp fantasy, but worth a read if the genre interests you.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Dexter, catching up on the paperbacks

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Triumph
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

I'm currently reading The Face of Battle, by John Keegan. It's really slow right now (just started it), but I've heard nothing but good things about the book (and Keegan in general) so I'm going to stick with it.

I'm also working my way through For All Time. You know, for a work of alternate history hosted on an internet forum, it's one of the most frightening things I've ever read. A deeply morbid work that starts out bad and just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse...
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Kaiser Caesar wrote:
I'm also working my way through For All Time. You know, for a work of alternate history hosted on an internet forum, it's one of the most frightening things I've ever read. A deeply morbid work that starts out bad and just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse...
What is it all about?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

ray245 wrote:
Kaiser Caesar wrote:
What is it all about?
A short summary (it's a really long work) is as follows:

The story starts with the assassination of Franklin Delano Roosevelt shortly after the start of WWII. The Allies still win the war, but, in the aftermath of the war, attempts at forming a NATO alliance among the Western Allies fails, and the Soviet Union undergoes a period of massive expansion in terms of satellite states and international influence. I would rather not spoil the rest of it, but let's just say things start out bad and never stop getting worse. Oh, God, does it get worse.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

That's a matter of perspective, isn't it? Unless you mean the plot is contrived and forces things to go a certain way, or the Soviets are portrayed as one-dimensional villians.
XXXI
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

Phantasee wrote:That's a matter of perspective, isn't it? Unless you mean the plot is contrived and forces things to go a certain way, or the Soviets are portrayed as one-dimensional villians.
The Soviets aren't the villains of the story. Their are some villains in their midst, but everyone has bad people.

And, yes, it is kind of railroaded, but not enough to make me hate the piece.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Currently reading Lion Resurgent.
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Just finnished Monster Hunter International and I am curently working on 1634: The Baltic War by Eric Flint and David Weber.
You will see the tears of time.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

For All Time must have been one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, from the uber nuke in Korea to the bullshit faux-Russian "alt history" with well-known names thrown around in anachronistic and impossible positions, just to make sure the people don't get lost. That's the problem with all alt history, but "For All Time" is notoriously bad.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Just started the Chronicles of Amber for the sixth or seventh time. I know each book back and forward, but I keep coming back over and over again. Best fantasy series I've ever read (and read, and read, and read).

I'll forever remember the day a friend of mine introduced me to Amber and it's royals. Hell, this series is what got me reading voraciously back when I was 12.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Working my way through the Dark Tower series, book 4 was hard work, Kings attempts at teenage romance are bloody awful, but at least it's nowhere near as fucking retarded as Lucas drivel.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I've sped through Pratchett's Night Watch within a week or so, I liked it as much as The Fifth Elephant, but I'm finding The Wind in the Willows tough going; the dullest book I've read in recent memory, though it's not a genuinely hateful and badly written book, it's just not to my taste and I've seen a bazillion movie and TV adaptions of it.

I've also got my hands full with history books such as Peter Ackroyd's London: The Biography and John Man's Attila the Hun: A Barbarian King and the Fall of Rome, which are much funner (and informative).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor