Build your own corps

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

eion
Jedi Master

Re: Build your own corps

Post by eion »

I knew they had the black lantern corps, which is powered by that well known emotion, death which is vulnerable to white light, but didn't know they had actual white lanterns now.

I don't read much DC, just spitballing I guess.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

eion wrote:So now that they've fully populated the spectrum of color with lantern corps, does that mean the next big world-changing crossover will be the discovery of the all powerful "White" Lantern?

I'm calling it 3/7/2010.
Too late, we already have that as of the end of TBN #7. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

eion wrote:I knew they had the black lantern corps, which is powered by that well known emotion, death which is vulnerable to white light, but didn't know they had actual white lanterns now.

We can tell, since anyone who has read the leadup to Blackest Night and the storyline itself knows that they're not calling death an emotion at all; the Black is a primal force of unlife that's manifested itself and wants to get rid of the living so the universe will be nice and quiet again.

It's not so much the Kefka/Kuja/Exdeath nihilistic stuff as it is, to some extent, "Damn kids! Stop partying and raising a ruckus on my lawn!" :mrgreen:

(Yes, I am a fan of the storyline, but I don't mind being silly when describing it sometimes.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Ah reliable predictable comic logic.

1) The more certain the death, the more certain the resurrection
2) Sudden change is more interesting than gradual development
3) The more obvious the twist, the more likely it will happen
4) Continuity is for wimps

I've flipped through some of BN, but I've yet to find any GL storyline that grabs me. It just seems like Green and Black are the oddballs, since the others fit, or at least can be shoehorned, into the category of "emotions".

EDIT: forgot one
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Death rarely sticks, and never happens anyway for some characters because no editor has the balls to okay killing an iconic figure, and if it's done they usually give themselves an out.

It helps if you just accept that death isn't permanent in comics due to the characteristics of the genre - at least the major settings - and enjoy the fun parts.

eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Oh it's not the death that bothers me, if anything bothers me it's that people outside the know think death is anything but a 6-12 month respite from a character.

"Oh my god, they've killed Captain/Dr./The So-and-so! How could that do that! Comics will never be the same again."

It's even worse when people who read comics as kids say things like tha because they should know better.

And when the writers/owners say things like, "No, we'd never bring back Colossus. His death was too emotional, too important to the storyline. It would be a disservice to his memory to just bring him back in some sudden gimmick in a new story-line."

Gee, I wonder how that turned out.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The problem is that if a certain group of writers/editors say that, there's no guarantee the next group will do so. All you need then is one author or editor with a hard-on for a particular character and boom, brought back from the dead.

Just look at Barry Allen....

eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

I'd just hope by now that every writer knows that, and would at least have the honesty to say (if only in interviews), "Well I have no plans to bring back Captain Ersatz, but who knows what'll happen when the sales start to dip and they fire me and bring in the new guy, who'll probably look at who hasn't been used in a while and say to himself, 'Hey, we haven't seen Captain Ersatz in a while, I'll just write in that he escaped the Flawless Device of Certain Doom off panel, or the guy who died was a clone/crazy guy and then I can use him again to get things moving."
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Steve wrote:
eion wrote:I knew they had the black lantern corps, which is powered by that well known emotion, death which is vulnerable to white light, but didn't know they had actual white lanterns now.

We can tell, since anyone who has read the leadup to Blackest Night and the storyline itself knows that they're not calling death an emotion at all; the Black is a primal force of unlife that's manifested itself and wants to get rid of the living so the universe will be nice and quiet again.

It's not so much the Kefka/Kuja/Exdeath nihilistic stuff as it is, to some extent, "Damn kids! Stop partying and raising a ruckus on my lawn!" :mrgreen:

(Yes, I am a fan of the storyline, but I don't mind being silly when describing it sometimes.)
A more nasty version of The Auditors?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Y'know, if I had the time/sillyness to write a Green Lantern/Final Fantasy metaseries crossover... well, three words.

The Kefka Corps. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Steve wrote:The problem is that if a certain group of writers/editors say that, there's no guarantee the next group will do so. All you need then is one author or editor with a hard-on for a particular character and boom, brought back from the dead.

Just look at Barry Allen....
Only if they have a mask (or are Aunt May).

Which leaves me screaming one thing:
Spoiler
LIAN! :cry: :banghead: :finger: :cry:
Also: Kefka Corps is damn frightening.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Muncken Corps. Will use all rings, hell one or two of each kind on seperate fingers, also have lightsabers, Thangarian wings, are half kryptonian/half daximite, genetically engineered to have neither vulnerabilities, Force Sensitives, magic wielding, suprageniues, sparks, timelords, and anything else they can toss in.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

From out of left field, O'Brien from Nineteen Eighty-Four would be a terrifying pick for a "willpower" type. Totally unwavering in his faith in the continuation of the party, the idea of the party, he had no problem even destroying the epistemological notion of truth in his own head. Such utter control over his will that his own mind and body is practically meaningless to him.

More in line with comics, Juggernaut could, written well anyway, be a good example for the Green and Red rings, as could Frank Castle and the Saint of Killers. Juggernaut's origin story had him buried alive for years, but being so full of hate and perseverance that he eventually dug his way out and went after Xavier. He's even gone up against the god that gave him his powers and continued persevering even when he was flayed down to a living skeleton.

Likewise, Frank's got an absurd body count because he hates criminals and wants to punish them, and the Saint of Killers froze the fires of Hell and stared down the demons because he hated the unfairness of life so much. It's difficult to work out why he would want such a ring, except perhaps to deal with problems like being dumped into space.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Having watched a playthrough of God of War 3 via YouTube...
Spoiler
Kratos of Sparta, there is great rage in your heart. You belong to the Red Lantern Corps.

Pandora of Olympus, you have the ability to instill great hope. Welcome to the Blue Lantern Corps.

And given the revelation about Zeus, a yellow ring wouldn't be out of the question for him.

Edit: I put color for the Pandora bit as well, but blue badly clashes with the spoiler box background.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

hello how about a Sapphire Ring for the one DC character who actually does embody/control all of the Black Lanterns?

Yes, I'm talking Perky Goth Death

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin