Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Mass Effect 2 Gameplay

Post by adam_grif »

At first I read that as "high explosive anti tank", then I realized you had just capitalized "heat". The entry claims it does damage from KE as well as "irresistible heat". Yeah, I'm sure temperature contributes a lot when your main guns are C-fractional.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

adam_grif wrote:At first I read that as "high explosive anti tank", then I realized you had just capitalized "heat". The entry claims it does damage from KE as well as "irresistible heat". Yeah, I'm sure temperature contributes a lot when your main guns are C-fractional.
No, thats what I meant.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Oh.

In that case, why? It's not an explosive. It's just molten metal flung out.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

adam_grif wrote:....

Oh.

In that case, why? It's not an explosive. It's just molten metal flung out.
Thats really all a HEAT round is, molten metal, it just uses an explosive to form and propel it. It's just the connection my mind made when I read the entry. No biggie.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

adam_grif wrote:You realize that on Garrus' loyalty mission you can hack the heavy mech right? Or are there extra ones I'm forgetting about?
You're thinking recruitment, loyalty there're two you fight right at the end.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Ah yes, "HEAT rounds", explosive shaped charges allegedly used by MBT's. We have dismissed that claim.
You're thinking recruitment, loyalty there're two you fight right at the end.
Right you are.

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Did anyone else notice the references to Baldur's Gate?

The space hamster
Tali telling her drone to "Go for the optics"

:D
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Jaepheth wrote:Did anyone else notice the references to Baldur's Gate?

The space hamster
Tali telling her drone to "Go for the optics"

:D
Yes and yes. But I was too heartbroken after losing my fish to actually buy the hamster. I didn't want to risk it.

:cry:

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The fish are such a waste of money. Why the hell can't EDI feed the fucking things.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

EDI is a shackled AI, Cerberus would never trust her with something as mission-critical as dropping food pellets into the Captain's fish tank once a day.

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

adam_grif wrote:Yes and yes. But I was too heartbroken after losing my fish to actually buy the hamster. I didn't want to risk it.

:cry:
The hamster can take care of itself. The fish need to be fed. The yeoman can do it for you though.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Apparently, Kelly -can- take care of the fish... but you have to talk to her a fair few times.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Apparently, Kelly -can- take care of the fish... but you have to talk to her a fair few times.
And she won't do it for a female Shepard, either. Bigwig commander Shepard can use his position to threaten crewmembers into letting him/her win poker games, but is too much of a softy to order somebody to feed his damn fish :D
adam_grif wrote:The "reapers are harvesting organics to turn feed them into the reaper making machine" reveal was horrendous in my humble opinion.
Yeah, I thought it was terrible, too. What, the Reapers aren't enough of a threat if they're malevolent, ancient machines posessing advanced technology? They need to be "techno-organic constructs" and physically eat people, too?

It was also kind of funny how EDI could immediately tell the machine that looked nothing like a Reaper was in fact one.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

PeZook wrote:Yeah, I thought it was terrible, too. What, the Reapers aren't enough of a threat if they're malevolent, ancient machines posessing advanced technology? They need to be "techno-organic constructs" and physically eat people, too?
The sad truth is that when you have a team of a hundred people making a game like this, a third of them will be programmers and writers who actually understand technology and plausibility etc, a third of them will be artists who scream 'who cares about the technobabble, it must look as cool as possible!', and a third of them will be business types whose only concern is that the product be bought by as many people as possible. IMHO we're fairly lucky to get the moderate nods to realism that Mass Effect does include.
It was also kind of funny how EDI could immediately tell the machine that looked nothing like a Reaper was in fact one.
They clearly have Star Trek Magic Sensors (tm).
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Starglider wrote: The sad truth is that when you have a team of a hundred people making a game like this, a third of them will be programmers and writers who actually understand technology and plausibility etc, a third of them will be artists who scream 'who cares about the technobabble, it must look as cool as possible!', and a third of them will be business types whose only concern is that the product be bought by as many people as possible. IMHO we're fairly lucky to get the moderate nods to realism that Mass Effect does include.
Well, it's a minor problem compared to what some other sci-fi often does, but it's really grating nevertheless. The fact they decided to try and go for realism in irrelevant fluff is nice, but the effort should really go into the main story first :)
They clearly have Star Trek Magic Sensors (tm).
Which, of course, only work when Shepard actually reaches the larva's chamber - but then they can instantly analyze what it's made of.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

IMHO we're fairly lucky to get the moderate nods to realism that Mass Effect does include.
100% of said nods come from the Codex, which takes it up the ass from cutscenes and gameplay really hard, really often. I've had people tell me that Mass Effect is "so realistic" because they're incapable of noticing massive discrepancies between the sources we get from inside the same game.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

adam_grif wrote:
IMHO we're fairly lucky to get the moderate nods to realism that Mass Effect does include.
100% of said nods come from the Codex, which takes it up the ass from cutscenes and gameplay really hard, really often.
The cutscenes are inexcusable; some combination of 'artists are idiots', 'writers can't give good guidance' and/or 'producer refuses to rein science-hating artists in'. Gameplay on the other hand; well, there is a reason why in Star Wars canon, the story and cutscenes of the games are considered canon but a specific exception is made for the game mechanics. Game mechanic design needs more artistic license than even movies, because while movies have to turn real life into something dramatic and engrossing, game mechanics also have to be consistently fun for a player of average skill. You need a different level of suspension of disbelief, so that you can see things like the hacking minigames as representations of what's really happening, rather than the usual SDN ultra-literalism.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PeZook wrote:And she won't do it for a female Shepard, either.
Yes she will.
EDI was able to tell by the power signature that the baby reaper was giving off, because she had reaper tech integrated into her design and had access to information from Sovereign. But hey, why pay attention to the game.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Havok wrote:EDI was able to tell by the power signature that the baby reaper was giving off, because she had reaper tech integrated into her design and had access to information from Sovereign. But hey, why pay attention to the game.
What the fuck is a power signature? Is that some tricorder shit or what?

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Havok wrote: Yes she will.
When? I never got the dialogue option, all I could do throughout the game was ask her about the Three Generic Background Fluff Pieces and about the crew.
Havok wrote:EDI was able to tell by the power signature that the baby reaper was giving off, because she had reaper tech integrated into her design and had access to information from Sovereign. But hey, why pay attention to the game.
That would've been quite a trick seeing as the Reaper was unpowered, unfinished and of a completely different configuration than all the others. It was made with the same material, sure, but that wasn't readily apparent, either, unless Shepard has a spectrograph in his helmet. It was obviously a Star Trek magisensor thing done to save time before the final boss fight :D

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

When? I never got the dialogue option, all I could do throughout the game was ask her about the Three Generic Background Fluff Pieces and about the crew.
You have to hit on her. Like, a lot. She's an LI for both genders. You have to ask her out to dinner, then next conversation she should offer to feed your fish. Your main LI will take precedence over Kelly, so the only way to get it on with Kelly is to romance nobody, then she'll send you an email after the attack and you can invite her up to your apartment.

open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

adam_grif wrote:
What the fuck is a power signature? Is that some tricorder shit or what?
Something like this I imagine.
EDI wrote:Shepard, I just linked into your suits sensors and holy fucking shit look at the waste heat on that motherfucker!
There are plenty of ways to find electrical disturbances, large power draws, and in the Mass Effect universe, the presence of a Element Zero core. And, you'll note, when planning the mission, EDI points out that the central control whatsits are beside some sort of big-old electro-magnetic disturbance which, hey, turns out to be a baby Reaper when you step in yourself.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

What, large waste heat = reaper? They've only seen a fully mature one. The thing was dormant, so I have no idea how they'd conclude that it had a massive active eezo core or whatever. Even if it was running, it wouldn't be going at full power, so it's very doubtful they could accurately determine whether it was a large core running on low or a small core running on high.

The only wiki search results that appear to be vaguely related for "Power signature" were comic book articles, so I'm sticking with my plot contrivance hypothesis.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

This kind of trope is actually common in sci-fi, where all sorts of things can be identified by their "unique power signature", but it doesn't make sense with constructs that are radically different from each other: the reaper larva was way smaller than usual, so it couldn't have had a massive power core ; it had a completely different configuration, which means different power routings, heat management solutions etc.

Its signature would be completely different. It's like taking an IR photo of a random destroyer and a submarine and being able to say "Oh hey they're both American".

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wait... I'm sorry... the Reaper that ATTACKS YOU was dormant? Are you fucking kidding me?
And even if it was, there was a Reaper that was dormant that they got the IFF from. It's not like EDI hasn't had a chance to scan them. I just threw power signature out there because I didn't remember the exact dialogue, but continue to cry about it for a few more posts if you have to.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"