Flaggs Shippy Starshits

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Flaggs Shippy Starshits

Post by Flagg »

I made this like... 7 (?) years ago. Not long after showing it on SCN a friend made a noble but horrendous 3d model of it. I present to you... The Sol Class:

Ortho:

Cross section:

Renders:

The following is the polished version of the description I wrote for Bernds JOAT page where the images are hosted (I posted them to imageshack so as not to leech off of his BW):
Design by Flagg, 3D by Nixon's Head

Launched: 2092
Length: 229m
Width: 66m
Height: 55m
Crew complement: 28
Shuttle Craft: 2
Max. Speed: Warp 2.9
Impulse engines: 4 (8 reactors)
Weapons: 2 plasma cannons, 2 probe launch bays capable of deploying nuclear mines (8 on board)

In the last decades of the 21st century the newly formed United Earth Space Probe Agency embarked upon a new endeavor: constructing the first dedicated exploration ship capable of achieving warp speed and being deployed for long term solar and interstellar mapping and exploration. The original design was the Sol Class prototype UESPAS-Sol. It was launched in 2092 for extensive testing. It was able to reach a maximum of warp 1.9 at launch, with a desired peak capability of warp 2.5. The initial attempt at breaching the warp 2 barrier resulted in disaster as the nacelles ruptured and exploded, causing a cascade effect which resulted in a warp core breach, killing all crew members. It was discovered upon investigation of sensor logs that the initial 2 nacelle design was overpowered, there was simply too much energy being put into the nacelles for them to cope past Warp 1.9. Rather than completely sacrifice the concept, the UESPA hit upon a solution. They improved the efficiency of the warp coils and added another pair of nacelles to cope with the energy output. The second ship of the class, UESPAS-Mercury, was launched in 2103 and went on to achieve a maximum speed of Warp 2.9, far beyond the initial expectations. A total of 11 Sol-class vessels (including the ill fated UESPAS Sol, Sol-01) were completed and put into service.

UESPAS - Sol, Sol - 01 2092-2092 (destroyed)
UESPAS - Mercury, Sol - 02 2103-2128 (missing)
UESPAS - Venus, Sol - 03 2105-2113 (heavily damaged, scrapped)
UESPAS - Mars, Sol - 04 2106-2148 (decommissioned) 2156-2161 (recomissioned during Romulan War)
UESPAS - Jupiter, Sol - 05 2106-2148 (decommissioned) 2156-2161 (recomissioned during Romulan War)
UESPAS - Saturn, Sol - 06 2107-2148 (decommissioned) 2156-2159 (destroyed during Romulan War)
UESPAS - Uranus, Sol - 07 2108-2152 (scrapped)
UESPAS - Neptune, Sol - 08 2108-2134 (destroyed)
UESPAS - Pluto, Sol - 09 2109-2152 (scrapped)
UESPAS - Sol, Sol - 10 2110-2210 (placed In Smithsonian Orbital Exhibit)
UESPAS - Luna, Sol - 11 2111-2119 (missing)
Note that my engineering knowledge is approximately that of an intelligent ape, so any tech stuff was just bullshittery on my part. Also, see that utterly retarded "grappler" on the bottom? :lol:
Last edited by Flagg on 2010-03-23 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Flaggs Shippy Starshit

Post by Havok »

Why do you have Space Tractors in there? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Havok wrote:Why do you have Space Tractors in there? :D

Space what? I dunno what you mean. If it's the bikes, they are just stationary bikes meant to represent gym and rec areas.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I like it, although it looks like you could only cram one shuttlecraft aboard it.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Zor wrote:I like it, although it looks like you could only cram one shuttlecraft aboard it.

Zor
:lol: How about the fact that there is barely any fuel aboard?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Flagg wrote:
Zor wrote:I like it, although it looks like you could only cram one shuttlecraft aboard it.

Zor
Fair enough if those are rocket egnines, but i did not know what exactly you were going for there.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Love it. A blend of "realistic" seeming and advanced tech of space opera. It could have formed a bridge between spacecraft of today and true starships. A pity Enterprise never featured a ship such as yours.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Zor wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Zor
Fair enough if those are rocket egnines, but i did not know what exactly you were going for there.
They are some kind of fusion rockets/early impulse engines. The fuel (deuterium, as in the other trek ships and keep in mind my understanding of this shit is so rudimentary as to be rather useless, so I based everything on Trek tech manuals and shit like that) is used for both the fusion reactors and as the matter for the warp cores matter/antimatter reaction.
Sarevok wrote:Love it. A blend of "realistic" seeming and advanced tech of space opera. It could have formed a bridge between spacecraft of today and true starships. A pity Enterprise never featured a ship such as yours.
That's exactly what I was going for. I actually got the basic idea from a shitty episode of 'Voyager' (sorry about the redundancy) that featured the "Friendship 1" probe which was basically a big deflector/navigational sensor dish with warp nacelles.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Zor wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Zor
My understanding is an impulse engine is a type of fusion rocket that passes its exhaust through a very small set of 'warp coils' on its way out the nozzle. This emits a kind of sublight warp field which serves to lower the ship's inertia or exert a gravitic force in the direction of flight. This drastically increases the rocket's effective specific impulse and raises the ship's delta-v per fuel load, which enables the vehicle to be designed with tiny propellant mass fractions for a given delta-v.
Image Image
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Re: Flaggs Shippy Starshits

Post by Flagg »

Here's a bunch of other stuff I've done. From a dedicated Battleship refit of the Galaxy class to various uniforms, space station concepts, and aborted starship designs.

Feel free to mock, praise, shit upon, or ask questions about anything.

Galaxy Class "Challenger Refit" Variant:

22nd Century Earth/Federation frontier/battle space station:

Here's one that's more of a civilian/orbital facility Note the docking bays are the same as the above:

Here it is with the bays retracted for smaller vessels:

Here's an aborted attempt at a future "slipstream" or "transwarp" ship which somehow ended up looking incredibly conventional and derivative. I still love the nacelles, though:

These are uniforms and an actual enlisted personnel uniform and ranking system for Starfleet. I really like these because even though they were very simple to design (they are basically FC uniforms with different color schemes) I think they would look awesome on screen:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw