"The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

Spoiler
Anarchist Bunny wrote:Not surprised about Sinestro becoming the White Lantern, I thought they were going to throw us a curve on that one, and while I did think Sinestro was a canidate, I was really hoping they would go with something weird, like Greed winning out the day. Almost thought I was going to be right on that one too when Luthor started going ring crazy.
Luthor succumbing to the ring also fulfilled Atrocitus' prophecy from issue 48; Atrocitus said Larfleeze was the one who would discover the Orange Light and who would betray them. It fits that Atrocitus would be wrong, though. Remember, Scar observed that the Red Lanterns' blood rituals were crude versions of the rituals she was using to observe the Book of the Black.
Anarchist Bunny wrote:I am also glad to see that they are already seemingly setting up continuing plot lines for some of the other corps, with foreshadowing of Atrocius and the Red Entity. That means that they other corps are going to stay after this event, which couldn't make me happier. My biggest fear with the ending of Blackest Night is that the status quo was going to be brought back with just the Green Lanterns flying about space. Oddly enough, for as silly an idea as it is at face value, I really like all of the new corps, and them sticking around will keep me interested in Green Lantern after this event(which was really my first time being brought into the DC universe, I had been a very casual fan of Marvel most of my life).
There's still the matter of Johns' Legion of 3 Worlds and the future it depicted, but for now, yeah it's good to have everyone staying around for the foreseeable future.
Anarchist Bunny wrote:Also I must second or third giving Scarecrow that damn ring back. So Batman looses one of his classic villians, Yellow Lantern Scarecrow is too fucking awesome to give up.
At the very least, I'll be curious if the Bat books deal with the repercussions of Crane finally getting the ring.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

IGN has posted a preview of GLC # 46, which will be on sale a week from tomorrow, March 17. Aside from being GLC's last tie-in to TBN, it's also Tomasi and Gleason's penultimate issue -- but it looks like they're setting things up for an explosive finale, oh yes... :twisted: It''s pretty much what I thought GLC would look like once it segued back in the main narrative.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ha. Guy Gardner with the Tholian web reference. Sweet. :lol:

I don't think I ever mentioned it before JME2, but I just like to thank you for posting all these previews up. I usually buy TPBs these days so I have to wait longer to get the story unless I read the summary off wikipedia. Thanks a million mate.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

mr friendly guy wrote:Ha. Guy Gardner with the Tholian web reference. Sweet. :lol:
Yeah, that had me cracking up too.
mr friendly guy wrote:I don't think I ever mentioned it before JME2, but I just like to thank you for posting all these previews up. I usually buy TPBs these days so I have to wait longer to get the story unless I read the summary off wikipedia. Thanks a million mate.
Hey, no problem.
Steve wrote:It is not surprising the themes of emotions and how they influence people would be so relevant to a person undergoing hard times, and these are indeed hard times.
Here's a weird coincidence. I moved into my new apartment two months before TBN kicked off. The next street one block down is called Jordan Street.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into the funny books... :wink: 8)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Emerald City Comic-Con was this weekend and we've got information and first-hand accounts from my associates at the GLC Forum. Thee panel dealt with the close of TBN and details on Brightest Day:
Spoiler
* It looks like Kyle will be fighting a Black Lantern Alex DeWitt in this week's GLC.

* Editor Eddie Berganza wanted to make Kyle a Blue Lantern, but was collectively vetoed.

* Atrocitus and Lobo will encounter each other during Brightest Day.

* Dex-Starr will be getting an origin story and, interestingly, he's from Earth.

* The remaining Laws will be explored.

* While the format is still unknown, it would appear that the Larfleeze Christmas special Johns was talking about 2 months ago will be happening. The plot is simple, if hilarious: Larfleeze learns about Santa Claus and decides to hunt him down.... :lol:

* The New Guardians will remain on Earth, much to Hal's displeasure. Atrocitus will be setting up shop in the New York Subways while Larfleeze will be getting a house and boat. He'll also attempt to steal the Eiffel Tower before Hal makes him put it back... :lol:

* The deputized Lanterns will revert back to their super-hero/villain identities, but still maintain close links with the Corps. Carol and Diana will stay buddies and Atrocitus will develop a romantic interest in Mera, though she isn't interested.

* The GLC Second Feature has been canceled.

* Space Sector 2814 will get fleshed out more.

* Cowgirl will have a larger role in the post-TBN issues.

* Johns will apparently follow up on an obscure story from the 1960's that involved Hal traveling to the 58th Century.

* Johns indicated that he had another master plan for the post-TBN stories and that he'll be on GL for at least a couple of more years.

* Guy will feature in the upcoming 3rd book, but he won't be the focus. It looks to be an ensemble-cast driven book ala GLC.

* There are no plans to follow up on the Corpse, which is too bad; Dave Gibbons had a good concept going there.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that GL# 52 goes on sale tomorrow. Like GLC# 46, this is GL's final tie-in issue for TBN. IGN's posted their usual preview and, well, burn like his power...Sinestros' might! :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

5 days left until TBN #8. Oooooh, the suspense is killing me. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:5 days left until TBN #8. Oooooh, the suspense is killing me. :twisted:
The end is nigh...Hard to believe.

I have comments on the last two week's tie-ins, which I'll be posting later.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I really should've appended my last post with "Of course, it's the explosions that will kill them". :mrgreen:

But "Wild Cards" was that awesome an episode that it deserves such reference. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, my thoughts on these final tie-in issues.
Spoiler
GREEN LANTERN CORPS# 46
This is the kind of Battle Royale that we've known was coming and it's as glorious as I'd hoped. Guy vs. Black Lantern Ice was everything I expecting it to be and I'm glad Guy quickly shrugged off Tora's mind games. The Black Lanterns' Hannibal Lectures have gotten old and it's a nice break.

Kyle vs. Black Lantern Alex on the other hand...part of me wishes we'd had Kyle face off against his mother, but this was even better. I had wondered why Alex hadn't turned up alongside Black Lantern Jade during the Siege of Oa and it's an encounter that was worth the wait and which served as pay-off for long-time readers. Alex's death was a critical influence on Kyle's development as a GL. It's a death that still affects and haunts him, as we saw when he interacted with a representation of her back in GLC: Recharge. The fact that he encounters her again now and makes peace with it further symbolizes that we've come full circle in Johns and Company's Green Lantern epic.

On a final note. I was surprised to see the Anti-Monitor subplot dealt with here. This is the single best case of ass-kicking from the Green Lantern Corps since, ironically, they dropped War World on the Anti-Monitor back in SCW. Let's hope Nekron feels the pain next week. :twisted:

GREEN LANTERN# 52

...Wow.

I mean, yeah this issue was technically filler, but I don't care. It's necessary exposition and pay-off for readers like us. It's an explanation that was set in motion 5 years ago when Kyle explained the origin of Parallax to Ollie. It's an answer to the questions that have been in the back of my mind when Parallax was introduced, questions furthered along the revelations regarding Ion in the SCW, the Predator, and Black Hand's entity.

We've known that the emotional spectrum gave birth to living entities that embodied each specific emotion -- Why? And why did they take on the forms of animals? Johns' answers are now obvious, satisfying, and add to the revelations of TBN #7. The revelations also have made me reflect further on the behavior of the Guardians throughout Johns' saga, if not all of GL history. It's interesting to see now that what we thought was mere arrogance and the stagnation inherent to immortality was in fact a deliberate, calculated agenda. I loved the Avarice Entity -- how appropriate. The Rage entity is especially interesting -- speculation on the net is that it may be Cain, which would be an interesting tie-in to last year's Final Crisis: Revelations and explain how the Spectre could have encountered the Red Entity.

I was surprised to see the Xanshi subplot resolved here. It's a great continuation of GL#49 and the most character development John Stewart has received in years as he finally overcomes his guilt over Xanshi's destruction. I loved the allusions to Return of the Jedi and John and his team of Corps representatives fought their way to the core.
Anyway, less than a week to go...hard to believe we're near the end...And after The Blackest Night comes the Brightest Day... :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Is it getting old for me to want to talk about cramming Blackest Night down Grant Morrison's throat?

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Is it getting old for me to want to talk about cramming Blackest Night down Grant Morrison's throat?
Not at all; the Mad Scotsman deserves to have the crap kicked out of his 'Crisis'.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Less than 12 hours to go, folks. I feel as much like a kid on Christmas Eve as I did back in July... :twisted:
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

AWESOME!

[spoiler="Blackest Night #8]William Hand of Earth. LIVE.

Anti-Monitor of Qward. LIVE.

So now who exactly came back, when will Indigo Tribe & William Hand show up, When will the Anti-Monitor show up again

Blackest Night did end on a high note though. Much better than Final Crisis.[/spoiler]
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Aye. Say it loud and say it proud...

Fuck You Grant Morrison... :twisted:

Anyway my thoughts on the final issue.
Spoiler
This is definitely a better final issue that Infinite Crisis had; Johns has really matured as an events writer in the last 4 years. I

And I'm glad that not everyone was resurrected. It's going to make things interesting. Here are my thoughts on each of the ressurections:

Anti-Monitor: Oh shit. Well, fuck.

Aquaman: If Johns can elevate Mera to a prominence she's never had before, then I'm damm curious to see what he'll do with the King of the 7 Seas.

Black Hand: Heehehehehehe. Ah, an ironic turn of events for William Hand. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

Captain Boomerang: This is going to be an interesting one. How is Digger going to react when he learns that he killed his kid? And how will Captain Cold react knowing that Digger came back, but his sister didn't?

Deadman: Not the biggest fan of the character, but I'm familiar with his backstory and I'm curious to see how this affects his relationship with Nanda Parbat.

Firestorm: This is going to another interesting one. By all accounts, Ronnie was not in control of his Black Lantern counterpart. But will that matter to Jason? Will the fact that Ronnie's alive again, but Gen is not drive him out of the game or influence him to seek retribution?

Hawk: Not a fan of Hank Hall. Next.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl: Come on, did you really think Johns was going to off them? But we've lost Kendra; how will her father react?

Jade: Good news for Alan Scott and Kyle, Bad news for Soranik.

Martian Manhunter: And so, one of the great wrongs of Final Crisis is finally righted. Somebody break out the Chocos. :twisted:

Maxwell Lord: This isn't going to end well, oh no. It's going to be interesting to see how Max proceeds with his anti-meta agenda -- assuming he picks up where he left off in OMAC Project. Brother Eye is gone, the OMACS are gone, Checkmate's been restructured, and there will probably be international warrants out for his arrest.

Osiris: Welcome back, Amon. First order of business, kill all the crocodiles... :twisted:

Reverse-Flash: No surprises there. But it means that Hal is indirectly responsible for the death of Nora Allen in Flash Rebirth. Barry will realize this and I hope he confronts Hal about it.
Anyway, this event ended as strongly as it began. There have been a few bumps on the path, but I have been more satisfied with this event that anything the Big 2 have offered in the last few years, barring the SCW.

The Blackest Night is over, my friends. Now begins...The Brightest Day.... :twisted:
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

JME2 wrote:Spoiler
Maxwell Lord: This isn't going to end well, oh no. It's going to be interesting to see how Max proceeds with his hilariously hypocritical anti-meta agenda -- assuming he picks up where he left off in OMAC Project. Brother Eye is gone, the OMACS are gone, Checkmate's been restructured, and there will probably be international warrants out for his arrest.
Fixed for you.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Heh.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy crap... is it finally over? I can open my last 39 months worth of comics now? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It is. And yes you can, Hav. :)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

FUUUUUCCCCK YEEAAAAAAAAH. :twisted:

That was SWEET.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

After much awesomeness, Larfleeze at the end still steals the show and had me laughing till it hurt.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:After much awesomeness, Larfleeze at the end still steals the show and had me laughing till it hurt.
Spoiler
"Victory is mine, baldy!"

And his realization of his selfless action had me LMAO in the comics shop.

I'm glad both Larfleeze and Sinestro made it out of this alive. GL's better with them.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Spoiler
I'll be honest, I was expecting the Generals (Hal, Carol, Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Sinestro, Indigo 1, Atrocitus) to be the White Lantern corps.

Also - Johns truly brought this full circle - William Hand got his had back.
Yes I think Larfleeze's antics will be enjoyable for years to come.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

TimothyC wrote:Yes I think Larfleeze's antics will be enjoyable for years to come.
I will pay good money for that Larfleeze Christmas Special Johns has said he's trying to do.
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

Definitely one of the best events I've read in years. There were a few problems with it, and I really wish Nekron had done more once he came forth instead of just standing there through almost the whole event, but it was still an amazing overall story.

I'm curious why these chose to resurrect those specific characters. I look forward to finding out more of the greater purpose they alluded to.

Did I miss it, or did they never quite get around to explaining why Dove was able to destroy black lanterns like that? And why they couldn't take over the old Dove's body?

I really can't wait to see how the various corps work together in the future. I wonder if the war with the Red Lanterns and Sinestro corps will pick back up, or if they'll now start trying to work in peace.