"The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "The Blackest Night" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

Superboy wrote:There were a few problems with it, and I really wish Nekron had done more once he came forth instead of just standing there through almost the whole event, but it was still an amazing overall story.
Agreed; Nekron was too much of a Phantom Menace a times.
Superboy wrote:Did I miss it, or did they never quite get around to explaining why Dove was able to destroy black lanterns like that? And why they couldn't take over the old Dove's body?
I think it was stated in the last GLC that Dawn Granger was tapping into the White Light of Creation. With that connection, it's no wonder the rings couldn't revive her predecessor.
Superboy wrote:I really can't wait to see how the various corps work together in the future. I wonder if the war with the Red Lanterns and Sinestro corps will pick back up, or if they'll now start trying to work in peace.
That's the big question, isn't it. The War of Light is over, the Black Lanterns are beaten -- what happens to the Corps? GL will be dealing with this, but I'm glad Johns didn't wipe out everyone in the Battle of Coast City. That would have been the easy way out. Now, it's like letting the 100,000 Kryptonians out of Brainiac's ship; there will be consequences.
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

I think it was stated in the last GLC that Dawn Granger was tapping into the White Light of Creation. With that connection, it's no wonder the rings couldn't revive her predecessor.
That kind of makes sense, but I hope they expand on it a little.
GL will be dealing with this, but I'm glad Johns didn't wipe out everyone in the Battle of Coast City. That would have been the easy way out. Now, it's like letting the 100,000 Kryptonians out of Brainiac's ship; there will be consequences.
That was one of the things I was really pleased with. The whole Green Lantern saga since Rebirth, but especially since Sinestro War, has been pretty tightly constrained despite it being so epic. With a story like that, it's easy to have a giant reset button at the end and it's kind of what I was expecting. Instead, it was not only a satisfying conclusion, it also set up a ton of interesting stories to be told in the future.

I never read much GL before Sinestro War because the few stories that I did read back in the day were just about a bunch of space police fighting random aliens. When I look back at that and compare it to the titles now, with the additional characters and concepts and mythology, it really makes me appreciate what Johns has done.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Superboy wrote:Definitely one of the best events I've read in years. There were a few problems with it, and I really wish Nekron had done more once he came forth instead of just standing there through almost the whole event, but it was still an amazing overall story.
What more would you have wanted Nekron to do?
Spoiler
He did draw out the white entity and attempt to destroy it, and he proved his toughness in multiple ways, including shrugging off an attack from the Anti-Monitor and presumably banishing him back to Qward with apparently little effort. I would expect a certain level of detachment from a being of "sentient blackness."
I wonder if the war with the Red Lanterns and Sinestro corps will pick back up, or if they'll now start trying to work in peace.
Sinestro at one point does mention that he and Atrocitus should consider combining their efforts to put down the Guardians, but who knows how that will go now. I don't expect Sinestro to become an Anti-Hero, but I wonder what kind of changes he will undergo having fought once again on what could be considered the side of good and having been in contact with the White Entity.

I think Scarecrow really becomes a much more relevant and interesting character now too, assuming he keeps his ring that is.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Bedlam
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bedlam »

Overall a good crossover event, much better than Final Crisis. However, I was a bit put off by the seemingly random resurections. I think it suffers on the every character is someones favourite scale, almost everyone can think of someone they would like to have resurected and did get lucky.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Superboy wrote:That was one of the things I was really pleased with. The whole Green Lantern saga since Rebirth, but especially since Sinestro War, has been pretty tightly constrained despite it being so epic. With a story like that, it's easy to have a giant reset button at the end and it's kind of what I was expecting. Instead, it was not only a satisfying conclusion, it also set up a ton of interesting stories to be told in the future.
In a way, it's also coming full circle with Rebirth. Brad Meltzer makes a valid point in the introduction to the tpb, that it would have been so easy to kill off Kyle in order to return Hal and clear the slate. But Johns kept Kyle alive and while there have been mismanagement of the character since then, he's remained a valid part of the mythos. And while John Stewart was already active again, he took a similiar step by putting the ring back on Guy. Having the four main Earth Lanterns all on board and working together has paid off big-time.

I'm hoping for a similiar situation to come about thanks to all the Speedsters being back on board thanks to Flash Rebirth.
Superboy wrote:I never read much GL before Sinestro War because the few stories that I did read back in the day were just about a bunch of space police fighting random aliens. When I look back at that and compare it to the titles now, with the additional characters and concepts and mythology, it really makes me appreciate what Johns has done.
Yeah. The transformation of the GL mythos over the last 6 years is really incredible. Say what you will about the Silver Age focus (and I've kvetched enough myself), but you can't deny that Johns has a talent for world building. He did it with Keystone City and the Rogues during his first Flash run and he's done it again in spades.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Mayabird's reaction on IM to J'onn being alive again:

"Yaaay! Whip out the Oreos!"
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Superboy wrote:And why they couldn't take over the old Dove's body?
I have an update from WonderCon; Johns said this would be explored more in Brightest Day.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Mayabird's reaction on IM to J'onn being alive again:

"Yaaay! Whip out the Oreos!"
I half considered picking up a pack to celebrate J'onn's return. :twisted:

The resurrection of Captain Boomerang also brought up another point I didn't think of: How is Tim Drake going to react to the fact that his father's killer is alive again, but Jack Drake is still deceased?
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Another thing that I hope gets followed up on is what happened to Halo? She ends up collecting the combined ring power of the 7 generals and going White Light then up and disappears. I expected her to end up the first White Lantern or to embody the White entity, but she just kinda poofed in the end.

Also as to Nekron, what's to stop his return? He formed a connection with Black Hand this time, but Indigo-1 seems to be keeping that from happening again, however he can surely create an emotional tether with someone else. Maybe that's what the White Lantern corp will be doing, Nekron patrol, so as to prevent the return of a Blackest Night.

About Sayd, didn't Larfleeze say he wanted Scar instead?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Scar is dead, and the deal to get him to help was Sayd.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

* Halo may get followed up in Dido's run on Outsiders or Tomasi may pick up the thread in Brightest Day. We'll just have to see.

* As for Nekron, you're absolutely right; there's nothing to stop him from finding another tether and trying this again. And killing him is basically impossible because he's a manifestation of dark matter. The New Guardians are going to have to come up with a long-term containment plan to prevent Nekron from rising again. Maybe this is why everybody's sticking on Earth for the foreseeable future, to prevent any further attacks on the Entity.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It may also be why the Entity has spawned a White power battery. Nekron may very well find that he's squandered his one good chance to end the "infestation" of life in the universe.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:It may also be why the Entity has spawned a White power battery. Nekron may very well find that he's squandered his one good chance to end the "infestation" of life in the universe.
Good theory.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Steve wrote:Scar is dead, and the deal to get him to help was Sayd.
I know, but he just said he wanted her, they can give him the corpse and still honor their deal. It's a bit of a dick move by heroes I know, just let Luthor handle it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to screw over Larfleeze a little now that he doesn't have a ring.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Scar is dead, and the deal to get him to help was Sayd.
I know, but he just said he wanted her, they can give him the corpse and still honor their deal. It's a bit of a dick move by heroes I know, just let Luthor handle it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to screw over Larfleeze a little now that he doesn't have a ring.
I still have this mental image of Lex and Larfleeze sitting in a posh club clinking decanters of brandy, smoking cigars, and reading the stock report. I want to see this as much as the Larfleeze Christmas special. :)

Side note -- anyone else find it interesting that Black Hand's chains are the exact same style as those worn by Nekron? A possible Indigo Tribe-Nekron connection?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'm posting a link to Blackest Night in 60 Seconds only for the Wonder Woman panel.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:I'm posting a link to Blackest Night in 60 Seconds only for the Wonder Woman panel.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The comments are just as good, they were repeating the debate we had here about whether all colors together form black or white. 8)

He made me chuckle, even if some of the comments were stale, so the maker of that is spared a STEVE SMASH. :wink:

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Son of a bitch... I haven't gotten it all yet.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:Son of a bitch... I haven't gotten it all yet.
Hmm.

Yes, get it all...It will all be yours... :twisted:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, I will get the TPB and read it then. But earlier it was hinted that the compassion lanterns were not what we expect. So what was so unpredictable about them?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Agh. What are the chances that they'll FINALLY release a complete Sinestro Corps Wars compendium when they release a collected Blackest night? (I hate stuff being in seperate volumes).

As a side note: Blackest night aftermath (GL 53) -
Larfleeze is absolutely hilarious, and it looks like we're getting a lovely Superman I homage by Luthor.
The white light has quite a bit of potential.
Am I the only one who thinks that the whole "billions of black lanterns rampaging" thing got wrapped up and fixed too neatly even by lax comic book standards?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

A Solomon Grundy trade caught my eye at the store yesterday, and the last page of it had a black lantern ring approaching.

Solomon Grundy of Earth....RISE.

Black Lantern Grundy? It was very interesting but that was all I saw of it, was he anywhere else near the main storyline for TBN?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Black Lantern Grundy? It was very interesting but that was all I saw of it, was he anywhere else near the main storyline for TBN?
Ah, that thread got dealt with in Superman/Batman# 66 and 67. Artist/Author Scot Kollins continued the storyline, with Bizarro and Man-Bat taking on Black Lantern Grundy. Fun little romp, especially Bizarro's final solution for dealing with the Black Lantern. It'll be collected in the next Superman/Batman hardcover.