Imperium of Man vs Galactic Empire.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Imperium of Man vs Galactic Empire.

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm honestly curious Stark; are you physically or neurologically incapable of carrying out a coherent discussion with another human being?
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

They *do* have tabletop rules for them, for whatever that's worth.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I dunno, do you honestly think 'some unrelated stuff happened ergo the GE has -20 Superweapon Use and the obvious 'blow up the Earth' plan will fail due to ... something' is a decent point?
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Stark wrote:I dunno, do you honestly think 'some unrelated stuff happened ergo the GE has -20 Superweapon Use and the obvious 'blow up the Earth' plan will fail due to ... something' is a decent point?
Well, my take on it is even if they *do* show up and can magically penetrate the Death Star's defenses--well they still can't do shit because its so fucking huge.

I was pointing out that there's some reason to believe they actually exist.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sorry, you instaposted me. I was replying to BCG.

I hear the Autobot Matrix of Leadership will 'light our darkest hour', QED it can destroy the Death Star somehow. Right? :roll:
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:I dunno, do you honestly think 'some unrelated stuff happened ergo the GE has -20 Superweapon Use and the obvious 'blow up the Earth' plan will fail due to ... something' is a decent point?
My point (which you either misunderstand or misrepresent) is that there is no evidence (that I am aware of -- feel free to provide some, if you have any) to suggest that the Empire is particularly good at using a Death Star. Hell, a pretty good chunk of their conventional forces is infected with the same hubris; AT-ATs come to mind.

This is still all moot, though. No one has seemed to pay much attention to Connor's original point.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So your point is just to wave vaguely at some perception that the GE is somehow unable to use the Death Star because it means the IoM get horribly raped?

I mean, in the first deployment the station was used fine and essentially won; it was direct interference by Vader that resulted in its destruction.

In the second deployment, the Rebels wouldn't even have found it in its unfinished state unless the Emperor told them.

So there are two options here.

You think the GE will deploy an unfinished DS and allow the IoM to lower its defences for... some reason, perhaps build it with a design flaw and then tell the IoM about it.

Or you're a stupid cunt.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:So your point is just to wave vaguely at some perception that the GE is somehow unable to use the Death Star because it means the IoM get horribly raped?

I mean, in the first deployment the station was used fine and essentially won; it was direct interference by Vader that resulted in its destruction.

In the second deployment, the Rebels wouldn't even have found it in its unfinished state unless the Emperor told them.

You think the GE will deploy an unfinished DS and allow the IoM to lower its defences for... some reason, perhaps build it with a design flaw and then tell the IoM about it.
So you can't provide any evidence for the Empire having the means, determination, and desire to use the Death Star at this magically-hypothesized perfect effectiveness? And still without addressing the hyperspace problems Connor put forth? That's all I needed to know.
Or you're a stupid cunt.
Aww, you're adorable, sweetheart. I love it when you talk dirty to me.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stark wrote:So your point is just to wave vaguely at some perception that the GE is somehow unable to use the Death Star because it means the IoM get horribly raped?

Or you're a stupid cunt.
Do you honestly think the Death Star can jump right into firing range? The gravity wells will first deny that, and secondly, there's nothing to stop the Imperium from say, deploying warp torpedoes that bypass the shielding and say... warp right into the reactor and kaboom?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Do you honestly think the Death Star can jump right into firing range? The gravity wells will first deny that, and secondly, there's nothing to stop the Imperium from say, deploying warp torpedoes that bypass the shielding and say... warp right into the reactor and kaboom?
What fucking warp torpedoes? What do they do? Where are they mentioned?
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2010-04-08 08:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Prove they need perfect effectiveness. They blew up Alderaan, because Alderaan didn't know about the exhaust port. The IoM doesn't either.

Prove any previous failure is due to a repeatable or doctrinal reason. Prove all DS drivers are stupid or unable to press the fire button before the IoM fleet eventually destroys the DS through brute force, given their lack of plot.

Prove the IoM will be able to use any of these putative weaknesses in deployment ability. Even if the DS has a giant hole in the side or an exhaust port, how would any of this be relevant to a strike on the IoM? I've already asked for evidence the IoM at Earth could destroy the DS in five minutes, quite a generous time period.

OH WAIT YOU CAN'T! You're just desperately trying to write off the DS by saying 'roffle it blew up last time'. :lol:
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Stark wrote:It's not our fault you don't understand that faster FTL = never fight unless they want to.

A list of fluff names for guns is meaningless when you're trying to prove firepower comparisons.

If you think a megahack R2 unit is comparable to a goddamn tech priest with zero understanding of the system, you're retarded.

PS the Empire can lose an SSD to kill a chapter of marines and still come out ahead.

Since the GE can simply totally destroy IoM worlds, I'm not sure how any comparison to blitzkrieg is relevant.

The IoM ships are going to be able to interdict the supplies of guys going way faster in a state they can't intercept? That's a good one.
Thanks for answering more completely than I'd have the patience to with about the level of respect that it deserves.

To add to this, the thought for the day as regards the space campaign is defeat in detail. The fleet of the Imperium is by necessity dispersed across the galaxy. The mobility of the Empire's ships allows it to concentrate its forces more effectively. See also Lanchester's square law for why this so important. The Empire can assemble its forces into a small number of more powerful fleets to engage the dispersed fleets of the Imperium and with comparable firepower are likely to prevail in each engagement with minor losses. It isn't a matter of hit and run, it is a matter of hunting down and obliterating enemy fleets with overwhelming force.

The Empire's fast enough that they can even apply this to defense. A single defensive fleet per sector can respond to an Imperial incursion in the hours it takes to get from the outer system to any point of interest. This eliminates the need to post large defense forces around every conquered world.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Do you honestly think the Death Star can jump right into firing range?
You mean like they did at Alderaan?
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The gravity wells will first deny that,
Didn't you notice the weapon's range?
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:and secondly, there's nothing to stop the Imperium from say, deploying warp torpedoes that bypass the shielding and say... warp right into the reactor and kaboom?
Sorry I forgot everything the IoM has will all work and come together in one spot whereas the GE can't even use the DS right because of... something.

Next you'll say the Ork titan missile will destroy the DS on a roll of 6+. :roll:
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Do you honestly think the Death Star can jump right into firing range? The gravity wells will first deny that, and secondly, there's nothing to stop the Imperium from say, deploying warp torpedoes that bypass the shielding and say... warp right into the reactor and kaboom?

Are you referring to Vortex Warheads?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:Prove they need perfect effectiveness. They blew up Alderaan, because Alderaan didn't know about the exhaust port. The IoM doesn't either.

Prove any previous failure is due to a repeatable or doctrinal reason. Prove all DS drivers are stupid or unable to press the fire button before the IoM fleet eventually destroys the DS through brute force, given their lack of plot.

Prove the IoM will be able to use any of these putative weaknesses in deployment ability. Even if the DS has a giant hole in the side or an exhaust port, how would any of this be relevant to a strike on the IoM? I've already asked for evidence the IoM at Earth could destroy the DS in five minutes, quite a generous time period.

OH WAIT YOU CAN'T! You're just desperately trying to write off the DS by saying 'roffle it blew up last time'. :lol:
I don't have to prove a damned thing. Vympel (IIRC, please correct me if I'm wrong) asserted that the Death Star will "hyperspace in, blast Terra, and simply leave." Then you jumped on the parade and started sniping from the sidelines, mucking up what I thought was a rather interesting, if academic (BECAUSE STILL NO ONE HAS FUCKING ADDRESSED CONNOR'S POINT) discussion with your particular brand of ur-conversation.

My argument was simple: Demonstrate that the Galactic Empire has the determination and competency to carry out this flawless plan. Given that the Death Star has been seen in action two times and both of those times not only failed to demonstrate the above, but actively demonstrated outright incompetency and in the case of DS2, a further lack of determination to use available military forces to their full effectiveness.

Furthermore, as we are (presumably) assuming an Empire at its peak, then Palpatine is still alive and kickin', making him perfectly available to muck it up with another hair-brained scheme. I'm loathe to resort to this kind of base nitpickery, but you seem pretty intent on simply shouting "LA LA LA" when someone points out that the Empire really doesn't have that great of a military track record.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Man, even though I even mentioned it right there, you're still pretending the DS has never been used 'in accordance with this perfect plan'. You are, of course, too much of a pussy to actually establish any real reason why there would be any problems, rather relying on some kind of reasonable doubt, such that others have to prove that the Death Star can a) hyperspace around, b) blow up a planet and c) leave, even though it's been established doing all of these things in the past. Since it's only ever been destroyed with the connivance of Imperial personnel, prove it is even possible to destroy it without Darth Vader's cooperation. OOPS.

Nevermind that you're so illiterate you didn't understand that I've already mentioned Palpatine (who of course is a blithering idiot who will ruin everything, whereas the GEoM is a walking no-limits fallacy) and his likely freakout when killing a 'god', but hey, gotta save 40k somehow I guess.

It's sad you actually think you have a point (which you can't define beyond 'DS1 and DS2 both blew up, thus any DS will never be used effectively ever') when you're just expecting others to disprove your nonsense. Like I said, prove it's even possible to destroy a Death Star without Vader helping you. :lol: :lol:
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Serafina wrote:
Norade wrote:How many 40k super weapons can be built still? By the space mafia? How often can the Legion of the Damned be called? Unlike the super weapons of 40k their is the distinct possibility that aside from the sun crusher all other super weapons used by the GE could be brought to bear against the IoM as none of it is lost technology. Hell, depending on the time line even the sun crusher, or at least it's munitions, could be produced in limited quantities.
Well, at least Warp torpedoes are still build - and these could bypass the Death Stars shield, destroying the superlaser dish.
At least against the Death Star, that is a way to disable it's planet-killing ability.

As for the Legion of the Damned - they are essentially Space Marines that have some form of unkown teleportation. While it IS possible that they can travel nearly everywhere they want, we have no reason to assume so. Therefore, i would not rely on that.
Can they, prove that these torpedoes have the fire power to deal enough damage in a short enough amount of time to take out the DS's main weapon? Also what is the launch time on these missiles, how long do they need to pray over their sacred guidance panels and polish the holy red button of purgation before they can fire them? How many are in station around Terra?
Norade wrote:
Care to prove the void shields are equal to the shields the GE are using and that the Star Wars shields can be breached by warp torpedoes? You also need to prove that 40k psychic divination and the tarot are consistent and accurate enough to be of use in this situation and that any captured personal will know anything about the largest and presumably most secret operation the GE is likely to launch?
Unless SW-shields cover the warp (which is extremely unlikely) Warp torpedoes will bypass them by virtue of making short jumps trough the warp.

Furthermore, i canhardly imagine that the Death Star and it's operating principles are secret. You don't need technical details, all you need to know that it can destroy Terra, that that ability can be crippled by a target on the surface and that you will need something to bypass shields.

And 40K-prenescience tends to show possible szenarios - while the IoM generally can't determine wether they will hapen for sure, the knowledge that this could happen is enough to make preparations against it.
Shields defend against energy attacks and there are fields in 40k that block the warp. So this means that there are ways using technology to block warp energy from getting at your ship. We also know that void shields leave gaps that attacks can slip through so unlike a ship in Star Wars the shields aren't a complete bubble. So once again prove to me that you can teleport through a shield that provides full coverage against physical and energy effects.

As for how the DS works, of course that would be known they would know that it's a giant ass space station that blows up even heavily shielded planets at decent fractions of c. They also know that it is strong enough to shrug most direct energy attacks that they're able to send against it and will thus have to rely on hoping to bypass the shield somehow.

So the precog is half useless and no more accurate or inaccurate than what Palpatine has. Also there is still the issue of time and being able t get your dire warning out. How soon will they get the message, how fast can they tell others about it, even knowing what they know they will have no way of knowing if teleporting through a Wars shield will even work.
Norade wrote:
IoM vs GE, not Iom + Eldar + Chaos + Whatever vs GE...
Actually, that IS an arbitrary standard.
This ain't Trek where the other powers have no reason to intervene (or would make next to no impact). Both the Eldar and Necrons have significant interest in keeping the Imperium around:
Both for keeping Chaos at bay and to preserve the balance of power, and at least Necrons because they have plans with humanity itself (or rather, the C'tan).
That is not why I am posting this however. From people who know far more about SW than I do, (EU and all that,) I want to know what type of damage the Galactic Empire could do to the IoM. Scenarios like the GE fighting guerrilla style, straight up fights of similarly sized forces, and the like. How long would it take the IoM to conquer the GE with both factions having all their enemies in their stranded cannon, or only each other.
No mention of the other races in the OP. So shove the Eldar will save the Imperial by deus ex shit.
Norade wrote:
As for knowledge as per standard we assume that both races have full intel on the capabilities of the other before a battle like this starts. Thus the GE knows about the astronomicon and Terra, and the IoM knows that Palpatine is holding the GE together.
Yes, we do - but how far do you want to go? Does the IoM know the technical details of the Death Star? Would the Federation suddenly acquire all the technical knowledge of the Empire as well?
The "we know the others general capabilities"-rule is mostly to prevent "ha, we use our tricks because you don't know about them".

So in my example, the GE would know about Warp torpedoes, but why wouldn't they know about the Astronomican?
Simply because it is not military knowledge. It is NOT something that would appear on the battlefied.
Why wouldn't the GE be provided with knowledge of the single most important piece of information about IoM travel? That would be like the IoM not knowing about how a hyperjump is calculated and only knowing that GE ships go really fast and come and go in a flash of light. Pull your head out of your ass and stop trying to rig the scenario.
Norade wrote:
As for natural warp storms how often do they occur in populated systems without Chaos aid?
Without? Very rarely. However, massive bloodshet can cause them, so you are running at a risk here even without anyone planning to cause one.
But remember, even if we leave out Chaos, the Imperium still has the possiblity that the Emperor creates one, or they could even do it without him (however unusual that would be).
Prove that a warp storm will happen after a large battle and that if it occurs it will hurt the GE more than the IoM. Okay, but how many psykers are able to create a storm large and powerful enough to do significant damage to a fleet before the fleet says 'Fuck this shit' and just leaves.
Norade wrote:
The burden of proof is on you to show that they can penetrate shields and cut through the hull. We can't prove they don't work so you need to show that both forms of shielding work on the same principles. The same goes for drop pods and boarding, you need to show they can breech the hull and get aboard.
Given that they ARE "tunneling" trough the Warp and that SW-shields have no reason to cover the warp, it is YOUR burden of proof that they do.
That goes for various technologies, such as teleportation and warp-warheads.
The the burden of proof still lies with you claim that your magic mumbo-jumbo can go through shields that work in a way that is totally different than the shields in 40k. As pointed out above the void shields leave exposed gaps so we don't even know that warp missiles do go through shields as they could simply be fast enough to exploit gaps before they're closed.
Norade wrote:
Burden of proof is on you too show that the GEoM can do that. Then even assuming you can prove that he can do it, while doing his other tasks which are said to occupy much of his energies, you have to show him to be aware enough to even think to do it in the first place.
He has done so at least once before during the Age of Apostasy, where he created a massive warpstorm (many lightyears across, you can see the damn thing on a small map of the galaxy) to destroy a massive traitor fleet.

We do not know how often he can do that or under which circumstances, but given that this situation would be VERY similar to the last one (a single fleet that threatens to destroy the Imperium), i think it is reasonable to count it as a possibility.
This storm, is it powerful enough to destroy the DS? Again you have to prove that it can hurt a ship that it has never been used against and that is many orders of magnitude tougher than anything the storm has ever damaged.
Stark wrote:
Aside from orbital defences, what 'defence nets' in 40k terms are even relevant to GE? They can have all the Mars defence perimeters they want; they'll just be bypassed. Only elements within range of Earth are relevant.
Well, IIRC, the moon has some kind of cross-sector warp-based fleet-crippling weapon. But that's pretty much all we know about it and while it is possible that it could threaten the Death Star, that's pretty much speculation.
So you concede that Terra has nothing that can reliably be proven to harm the DS. Great, so far you've not shown a single thing that can reliably harm the DS.
Last edited by Norade on 2010-04-08 09:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:So you can't provide any evidence for the Empire having the means, determination, and desire to use the Death Star at this magically-hypothesized perfect effectiveness? And still without addressing the hyperspace problems Connor put forth?
Maybe I missed something here earlier, but why the hell are we assuming that the Warp has anything to do with Hyperspace? They are two different modes of FTL.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Bloody Chaplain
Redshirt

Post by Bloody Chaplain »

Stark, what makes you think that a SSD could take out a SM chapter. A squad of Marines have been able to take out ships that were more than four times as large as a SD, and by eliminating the bridge, a squad could very well do the same for a SSD, seeing as how most Imperial officers and soldiers carry blaster (same as las weapons,) which do not do so well against Space Marines. Seeing as how a SM chapter could use a Strike Cruiser to jump in system, launch several boarding pods, and jump out again, I would put it more along the lines of loosing a squad or company per SSD. With at the most, 3,000 SSD and over a million SM at 100 per company, then that is 4 Space Marines to SSD. More than acceptable losses to the Imperium.

As to the Death Star, if a Lancer weapon is capable of leveling entire continents, (well within its capabilities,) and Nova cannons can do even more, I doubt that a mix of these weapons would not be able to destroy a Death Stare if the Imperium uses warp torpedo. No matter how powerful a SW weapon is, overkill does not make it any more effective than a weapon that barely kills something, but does kill it. Dead is as dead does.

I have found that a Nova Canon causes a sort of vortex that could be capable of taking out half of Earths moon. Besides this, why wouldn't several capital ships use this on the DS, (where star wars shields go down after enough fire power, and I am sure this is plenty,) while lancer batteries, warp torpedoes, and cyclone torpedoes, which the smaller ships around earth have hit it constantly.

Also, as to the Tech priests and R2 units, Tech priest interact with the AI, overpower or reason with it, and control it that way. So in all likely hood this would easily work with SW tech, seeing as how everything in SW seems to have some sort of basic AI.

The DS had to wait to get in range both at Alderan and Yavin, which was how it was fucking destroyed.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Kuroji wrote:
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:So you can't provide any evidence for the Empire having the means, determination, and desire to use the Death Star at this magically-hypothesized perfect effectiveness? And still without addressing the hyperspace problems Connor put forth?
Maybe I missed something here earlier, but why the hell are we assuming that the Warp has anything to do with Hyperspace? They are two different modes of FTL.
Because 40k wankers love to pretend the warp can do anything and assume that it will always act in a way that helps their side even when it seems to fuck them just as often.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Bloody Chaplain wrote:Stark, what makes you think that a SSD could take out a SM chapter. A squad of Marines have been able to take out ships that were more than four times as large as a SD, and by eliminating the bridge, a squad could very well do the same for a SSD, seeing as how most Imperial officers and soldiers carry blaster (same as las weapons,) which do not do so well against Space Marines. Seeing as how a SM chapter could use a Strike Cruiser to jump in system, launch several boarding pods, and jump out again, I would put it more along the lines of loosing a squad or company per SSD. With at the most, 3,000 SSD and over a million SM at 100 per company, then that is 4 Space Marines to SSD. More than acceptable losses to the Imperium.
No no, I'm saying that if they lose the equivalent of an SSD to take out a chapter, they win. When a chapter is on the surface and gets glassed, or they board a crippled ISD and get blown up, or whatever, their patheticly low number of wankmen mean that due to scale they're basically meaningless. Fighting without casualties will be nearly impossible, and they'll run out.

Equating the weapons of Imperial warships to lasguns is funny stuff, but its irrelevant. If you think 4 Space Marines can take over an ISD you're on crack.
Bloody Chaplain wrote:As to the Death Star, if a Lancer weapon is capable of leveling entire continents, (well within its capabilities,) and Nova cannons can do even more, I doubt that a mix of these weapons would not be able to destroy a Death Stare if the Imperium uses warp torpedo. No matter how powerful a SW weapon is, overkill does not make it any more effective than a weapon that barely kills something, but does kill it. Dead is as dead does.
Got any numbers in there, champ?
Bloody Chaplain wrote:I have found that a Nova Canon causes a sort of vortex that could be capable of taking out half of Earths moon. Besides this, why wouldn't several capital ships use this on the DS, (where star wars shields go down after enough fire power, and I am sure this is plenty,) while lancer batteries, warp torpedoes, and cyclone torpedoes, which the smaller ships around earth have hit it constantly.
Got any numbers in there, champ? Or just more fluffnames?
Bloody Chaplain wrote:Also, as to the Tech priests and R2 units, Tech priest interact with the AI, overpower or reason with it, and control it that way. So in all likely hood this would easily work with SW tech, seeing as how everything in SW seems to have some sort of basic AI.
Yeah, because all their methods will totally work on a totally alien system, right?
Bloody Chaplain wrote:The DS had to wait to get in range both at Alderan and Yavin, which was how it was fucking destroyed.
You mean those two planets with no chance to fight back? How is this relevant to how it would be deployed against something like Earth or Coruscant? Remember the ROTS fleet jumping into low orbit? :roll:
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Bloody Chaplain wrote:Stark, what makes you think that a SSD could take out a SM chapter. A squad of Marines have been able to take out ships that were more than four times as large as a SD, and by eliminating the bridge, a squad could very well do the same for a SSD, seeing as how most Imperial officers and soldiers carry blaster (same as las weapons,) which do not do so well against Space Marines. Seeing as how a SM chapter could use a Strike Cruiser to jump in system, launch several boarding pods, and jump out again, I would put it more along the lines of loosing a squad or company per SSD. With at the most, 3,000 SSD and over a million SM at 100 per company, then that is 4 Space Marines to SSD. More than acceptable losses to the Imperium.
Larger /= Harder to capture. Besides in almost all cases the secondary bridge would take over and unless we assume that both sides have full knowledge of blueprints and the like the SM will have to go find that aboard a ship they've never seen before. Like as not they won't think to even look it up in the ships databanks as they refuse to use hertical technology and even if they do by that time things like blast doors can be closed and the SM advance can be slowed.
As to the Death Star, if a Lancer weapon is capable of leveling entire continents, (well within its capabilities,) and Nova cannons can do even more, I doubt that a mix of these weapons would not be able to destroy a Death Stare if the Imperium uses warp torpedo. No matter how powerful a SW weapon is, overkill does not make it any more effective than a weapon that barely kills something, but does kill it. Dead is as dead does.
First off great spelling man. My hat is off to your English teacher and your ability to proof read.

Destroying a continent takes significantly less energy that the DS's shield was shown to absorb in deflecting debris for Alderran. The point that warp torpedoes can waltz through SW shields is also still up for debate.
I have found that a Nova Canon causes a sort of vortex that could be capable of taking out half of Earths moon. Besides this, why wouldn't several capital ships use this on the DS, (where star wars shields go down after enough fire power, and I am sure this is plenty,) while lancer batteries, warp torpedoes, and cyclone torpedoes, which the smaller ships around earth have hit it constantly.
Source for the half moon Nova Cannon shot?
Also, as to the Tech priests and R2 units, Tech priest interact with the AI, overpower or reason with it, and control it that way. So in all likely hood this would easily work with SW tech, seeing as how everything in SW seems to have some sort of basic AI.
Yes a tech priest would understand computer languages written in ways he's never seen before... That is assuming he can eve read the letters on the screen and that the droid will respect his careful and reverent praying to it.

The DS had to wait to get in range both at Alderan and Yavin, which was how it was fucking destroyed.[/quote]

The DS didn't need to wait at all at Alderran you moron the reason they didn't fire right away was to get info from Leia. At Yavin there was a gas giant in the way, please show me the gas giant that Earth orbits around that would block such a shot.

EDIT: Damn quick posting there Stark.
Bloody Chaplain
Redshirt

Post by Bloody Chaplain »

Stark wrote:
No no, I'm saying that if they lose the equivalent of an SSD to take out a chapter, they win. When a chapter is on the surface and gets glassed, or they board a crippled ISD and get blown up, or whatever, their patheticly low number of wankmen mean that due to scale they're basically meaningless. Fighting without casualties will be nearly impossible, and they'll run out.

Equating the weapons of Imperial warships to lasguns is funny stuff, but its irrelevant. If you think 4 Space Marines can take over an ISD you're on crack.

I didn't say that, I said 4 casualties per SD. Also, I compared Lasguns to balsters, which is what the Empire seems to give to its crews and besides the Horus heresy, no chapter has ever even put half its forces in one area.
Bloody Chaplain wrote:As to the Death Star, if a Lancer weapon is capable of leveling entire continents, (well within its capabilities,) and Nova cannons can do even more, I doubt that a mix of these weapons would not be able to destroy a Death Stare if the Imperium uses warp torpedo. No matter how powerful a SW weapon is, overkill does not make it any more effective than a weapon that barely kills something, but does kill it. Dead is as dead does.
Got any numbers in there, champ?

No, but I have books, lots and lots of Cannon books, and given sufficient time I damn well could get them.
Bloody Chaplain wrote:I have found that a Nova Canon causes a sort of vortex that could be capable of taking out half of Earths moon. Besides this, why wouldn't several capital ships use this on the DS, (where star wars shields go down after enough fire power, and I am sure this is plenty,) while lancer batteries, warp torpedoes, and cyclone torpedoes, which the smaller ships around earth have hit it constantly.
Got any numbers in there, champ? Or just more fluffnames? Yes, a Noca cannon has a range of 16 000 km as its blast radius.

By the way, I wouldn't talk about the power of SW weaponry by insulting fluff. It seems most of the amount of energy SW weapons give off is from mathematical equations and deductions done by fans.
Bloody Chaplain wrote:Also, as to the Tech priests and R2 units, Tech priest interact with the AI, overpower or reason with it, and control it that way. So in all likely hood this would easily work with SW tech, seeing as how everything in SW seems to have some sort of basic AI.
Yeah, because all their methods will totally work on a totally alien system, right?

They have worked on sufficiently alien objects such as Necron ships, and space hulks that date past the dark ages.
Bloody Chaplain wrote:The DS had to wait to get in range both at Alderan and Yavin, which was how it was fucking destroyed.
You mean those two planets with no chance to fight back? How is this relevant to how it would be deployed against something like Earth or Coruscant? Remember the ROTS fleet jumping into low orbit? :roll:
Because if they had to move within range to attack a planet without defenses, with no problems, then I don't possibly see how they could do the same while fighting an entire fucking fleet. Plus, a starship isn't a fucking moon! 500 hundred miles at low orbit puts the death star crashing into earth dumbass.

I mile of starship is a lot easier to maneuver than five hundred fucking miles of moon sized battle station.

Interestingly, a SW shield can absorb a ton of punishment, however, enough energy at one point will short out the shield. Something I am positive that a Lance cannon can achieve do to what it does.

First off great spelling man. My hat is off to your English teacher and your ability to proof read.

Destroying a continent takes significantly less energy that the DS's shield was shown to absorb in deflecting debris for Alderran. The point that warp torpedoes can waltz through SW shields is also still up for debate.
Wow, I misspent Star, once. I don't get how bringing up spelling effects the argument anyways. So I guess I have to say, fuck off.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Bloody Chaplain:

it depends but probably fairly skilled, due to Vader's weeding out of a lot of corrupt/idiotic officers.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Bloody Chaplain wrote:<Snip inane reply>
How much energy does a single Nova Cannon shot carry? What is the refire rate? How accurate are they?

Also the DS doesn't need to reach low orbit to fire as can clearly be seen in the movies.