Clash of the titans [spoilers]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: Clash of the titans [spoilers]

Post by Ford Prefect »

The Romulan Republic wrote:(what was his name?)
Draco was his name. Did anyone else think he was played by The Rock?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Ford Prefect wrote:
No, but it drove me nuts till I figured out he was the Bond Bad Guy.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote:I also think he was the God of Lawyers, or at least had the God of Lawyers on retainer. After all, who but a really slick contract lawyer could manage to turn six pomagranate seeds into a binding marriage agreement with the woman he kidnapped and get away with it? :lol:
Could you imagine the look on Demeter's face when Zeus upheld it? :lol: That said, I have heard that it being entirely involuntary on Persephone's part is not necessarily true. Certainly she seems pretty cool with being Queen of the Underworld afterwards, though if we remove the kidnap of Persephone, that leaves with Hades with ... not many profoundly dickish acts to his name.
That's because overall, Hades isn't all that big a bastard. He's God of the Underworld, but that's where everyone in Greek Mythology went when they died, good OR bad. He's effectively ruler of hell AND heaven, as far as afterlives go. Nowadays people are quick to translate "Underworld" into "Hell", but that's Judeo-Christian thinking. Hades was a reasonably cool guy, for being a Greek God.
Vympel wrote:So cute.
Haha, thank God someone else thinks so. :)
Yeah, loved her too. What I don't remember is, was she actively prevented from leaving? Because I'd love to read a CotT story where Perseus gets to her lair, and instead of killing her ass goes "Hey, Medusa! How'd you like to get even with the Gods a bit? We need help killing the Kraken!" And she accepts the request, neatly throwing the story upside down.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I love the fact that those two comic relief hunter characters imply that all sorts of freaky-deaky monsters are, like, a common occurence in their world and that they regularly slay freaky-deaky things like those like all the time.

You know, we need a good bullshit Greco-Roman mythology series. Like Xena! But with more CGI monsters! :D

PERSEUS! THE MYTHICAL ADVENTURES

starring kevin shroombo
Uh...we had that. Twice. It was good, but I don't know if we could have another one yet without it struggling under their shadow...
On the other hand, if Kevin Sorbo got a cameo as a retired Hercules (yes I know he's supposed to die in the myths but I don't freaking care), I could see it going well as a fun successor to a great series.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Molyneux wrote:On the other hand, if Kevin Sorbo got a cameo as a retired Hercules (yes I know he's supposed to die in the myths but I don't freaking care), I could see it going well as a fun successor to a great series.
Heracles was elevated to the position of god after the whole Nessus thing, so it's not impossible for him to show up. And I could see Sorbo doing it, given that they got him to voice Hercules in God of War III. :)
Atlan wrote:Yeah, loved her too. What I don't remember is, was she actively prevented from leaving? Because I'd love to read a CotT story where Perseus gets to her lair, and instead of killing her ass goes "Hey, Medusa! How'd you like to get even with the Gods a bit? We need help killing the Kraken!" And she accepts the request, neatly throwing the story upside down.
I think she was being prevented from leaving; certainly it would be the case in thise version, given that Io couldn't even go in. And, perhaps funnily enough, I have also thought it would be kind of cool if the crew needing her head had decided not to kill her (for whatever reason) and just had her tag along. Admittedly that would make sitting around the campfire more dangerous, but hey.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Ford Prefect wrote: I think she was being prevented from leaving; certainly it would be the case in thise version, given that Io couldn't even go in. And, perhaps funnily enough, I have also thought it would be kind of cool if the crew needing her head had decided not to kill her (for whatever reason) and just had her tag along. Admittedly that would make sitting around the campfire more dangerous, but hey.
Reason enough: On the boatride across the Styx they just got told that she got dicked over by the gods even more than they. It might be worth a try to prevent getting killed, and just see if she'd actually like to get some of hers back.

Imagine that, Perseus and the Medusa kill the Kraken, Andromeda is all "Oh WOW, you hunk of manlyness, PLZ. become King" and Perseus rides off into the sunset... With the hot snake chick. :D
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
R.A. Heinlein.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Molyneux wrote:On the other hand, if Kevin Sorbo got a cameo as a retired Hercules (yes I know he's supposed to die in the myths but I don't freaking care), I could see it going well as a fun successor to a great series.
Heracles was elevated to the position of god after the whole Nessus thing, so it's not impossible for him to show up. And I could see Sorbo doing it, given that they got him to voice Hercules in God of War III. :)
Atlan wrote:Yeah, loved her too. What I don't remember is, was she actively prevented from leaving? Because I'd love to read a CotT story where Perseus gets to her lair, and instead of killing her ass goes "Hey, Medusa! How'd you like to get even with the Gods a bit? We need help killing the Kraken!" And she accepts the request, neatly throwing the story upside down.
I think she was being prevented from leaving; certainly it would be the case in thise version, given that Io couldn't even go in. And, perhaps funnily enough, I have also thought it would be kind of cool if the crew needing her head had decided not to kill her (for whatever reason) and just had her tag along. Admittedly that would make sitting around the campfire more dangerous, but hey.
That would be a great way to break the mold. Everyone else is ready to fight, they have Medusa cornered, and...Perseus sheaths his sword and asks her to tag along. And hey, in this version she seems to have it as a voluntary ability - so she could even just tag along without needing to wear a veil!

It'd be a bit hard to keep her from attracting attention in town, though.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Molyneux wrote:
That would be a great way to break the mold. Everyone else is ready to fight, they have Medusa cornered, and...Perseus sheaths his sword and asks her to tag along. And hey, in this version she seems to have it as a voluntary ability - so she could even just tag along without needing to wear a veil!

By the time they get to town there's a couple of guys driving a giant scorpion around, and the fucking Kraken, terror weapon of the Gods, is emerging from the water, smashing the town. A snake woman is tame compared to that... What happens afterwards would be the trick.
R.A. Heinlein.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Atlan wrote:
Molyneux wrote:

By the time they get to town there's a couple of guys driving a giant scorpion around, and the fucking Kraken, terror weapon of the Gods, is emerging from the water, smashing the town. A snake woman is tame compared to that... What happens afterwards would be the trick.
I did quite like Those Two Guys...which is odd, since I really expected them to turn out to be evil. It was a pleasant surprise that they didn't, and one of the things that this movie did much better than the original.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Molyneux wrote:
Atlan wrote:
Molyneux wrote:

I did quite like Those Two Guys...which is odd, since I really expected them to turn out to be evil. It was a pleasant surprise that they didn't, and one of the things that this movie did much better than the original.
Their reaction to the Djinni riding on the scorpions was comedy gold. Everyone is looking at the scorpions sideways and going "Uh huh, I don't think so!" And they take one look at the rides and go "Wonderful!"
R.A. Heinlein.
Almightyboredone
Youngling

Post by Almightyboredone »

Ford Prefect wrote:
I thought that for more than a little while in the begining, as did my date.
Molyneus wrote:I did quite like Those Two Guys...which is odd, since I really expected them to turn out to be evil. It was a pleasant surprise that they didn't, and one of the things that this movie did much better than the original.
I was actually half expecting them to be Gods in disguise when I first saw them. I think it would've seemed to fit in the Greek Mythology thing better, especially after the sudden appearence in the end. Maybe Zues sending Hermes and Apollo to watch over his son and make sure Hades doesn't get too overly involved.
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Well, it seems that the original cut of the movie made a hell of a lot more sense than what we ended up in theaters.

See it all here.

Now I’m kind of pissed. The movie as described in the article seems really awesome. I really wish we get the chance to see the original cut someday.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Jade Owl wrote:Well, it seems that the original cut of the movie made a hell of a lot more sense than what we ended up in theaters.

See it all here.

Now I’m kind of pissed. The movie as described in the article seems really awesome. I really wish we get the chance to see the original cut someday.
Wow, that is some major revision work if that's what happened. Though it does answer why we had gods and goddess with credit listings with their only time was kinda standing there...looking pretty. Other then Volde...I mean Hades.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Jade Owl wrote:Well, it seems that the original cut of the movie made a hell of a lot more sense than what we ended up in theaters.

See it all here.

Wow, that explains ALOT about why the movie didn't make much sense.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That's a remarkable amount of cutting and editing there. It's almost as different as the Troy special edition scene with the beach landing, or the utterly bastardised Kingdom of Heaven theatrical release which makes no sense. This is the THIRD Sam Worthington film in a year to suffer this (the man's unlucky), what with Terminator Salvation and Avatar having superior original concept scripts suffering at the hands of design by committee or general lack of vision.

While I can accept bastardisation of the mythos and lack of Ray Harryhausen (the single reason I much prefer the original and the classic Greek myths out of Hollywood), to see what could have been, especially when it is so apparent there is a problem with the film's final product, is disheartening. It makes me wonder how many other films Hollywood has churned out that turned into passable mindless popcorn, but which could've been truly epic were they to hold the line and not bow to studio pressure (David Fincher, I'm looking at you).
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Not bow to studio pressure? It's a rare director that has the ability to force a studio's hand. As big as some of these guys may seem, they rarely get their say over the big things if the studios don't want to.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That is true, hence my dismay that it happened to Ridley Scott and Wolfgang Peterson. They're not newbies on the scene being set up as tent-pole directors, they're pros with some very big projects to their names. Yet even they suffered cuts in the name of seeking higher profits from the perception that simpler, shorter and more action oriented flicks are a better investment. What they always find, though, is the sales of the DVDs with the original cut on tend to be very healthy and far better received.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

What were the original concepts for Salvation and Avatar? I vaguely remember someone saying that the original plan for Terminator was for John Connor to die and have the robot guy pretend to be him, which is fucking stupid.