Guitar talk! [formerly Unfunny Commentary]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Re: Unfunny commentary thread

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Rye wrote:
:(

isn't horribly stupid you jerk
Ryyyyyyye, let's come clean now; what ratio of Meshuggeh to other bands do you play? :P

An alternate possibility is that your low E or whatever may be cutting into the nut. Is the string any "deeper" into the nut than the other five? Because that's another problem I had. Examine the frets while you're at it too for significant wear; they ought to appear "scalloped" if there's a problem.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Guitar talk! [formerly Unfunny Commentary]

Post by tim31 »

aerius wrote:Transperformance upgrade meant he didn't need to keep switching guitars anymore.
That's the real advantage, right there.

Other than that, I reckon the Gibson robot series are expensive wank. I know a guy that has one and it keeps breaking e strings through overtension. Tith'd probably get more use out of one than I would given differing playing styles.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:The Tea Party used different tunings? Didn't the dude just have to noodle around on the same half of a harmonic minor key for a whole song, play a few major chords for the choruses, and then try to croon and strut like Jim Morrison?
Don't ask me, I don't know a thing about music theory. I can't even name any of the chords & tunings used on a guitar, let alone recognize them.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Ryyyyyyye, let's come clean now; what ratio of Meshuggeh to other bands do you play?
It's actually pretty rare I play any bands unless I fancy doing a cover. I usually listen to Meshuggah and Fear Factory for the rhythm-heavy juttery bollocks I like, then My Dying Bride, the first Pitchshifter and slower Nile songs to come up with something similar.
An alternate possibility is that your low E or whatever may be cutting into the nut. Is the string any "deeper" into the nut than the other five? Because that's another problem I had. Examine the frets while you're at it too for significant wear; they ought to appear "scalloped" if there's a problem.
Will do.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The Vortex Empire wrote:??? What do you mean Les? As in Les Paul? The Les Paul is a Gibson. BUt yes, real men do play Gibsons.
err whoops

maybe i meant rickenbacker but that is still pretty hilarious
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

fuck you guys
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

we should just have an instrument guitar thread
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:fuck you guys
haw haw shroomy is musically unliterate
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I'm musically illiterate too! It's cool Shroomy. We can be their managers who fuck them all over :twisted:
XXXI
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Sup guys, movin' a music thread to the music forum

e: fuuuuck, hosed by multiple pages
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:The Tea Party used different tunings? Didn't the dude just have to noodle around on the same half of a harmonic minor key for a whole song, play a few major chords for the choruses, and then try to croon and strut like Jim Morrison?
Actually he'd go from one minor key to another in some of the songs, do major chords for the choruses and have yet another tuning for the instrumental solo/bridge part. For instance the song Cathartik has 4 different tunings.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Re: Guitar talk! [formerly Unfunny Commentary]

Post by charlemagne »

Over 10 years ago I got an Ibanez JEM555, the Steve Vai signature model. It's a kind of souped up strat with two humbuckers and a single coil. Got it at a bargain price because the back has a minor scratch. Never really learned to play though :oops: But I can do really awesome divebombs, and I think I even remember the riff to "Sunshine of your love"!

Around the same time a friend of mine got a really expensive ESP, but he stopped playing, too. Bunch of losers we are.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

You have a JEM and you don't really use it?

Why are you in Germany where I can't buy it from you.

Actually the other 'tarist in my group was authorised by his wife to buy a new axe a few months back. He asked that I come with him to help him decide which of the two choices to go with. One was an RG Prestige; not too different from a JEM in terms of playability. The other was also an Ibanez, though I can't recall the model number. It was cheaper and had a pair of active humbuckers with a fixed bridge, but I found it more charming and enjoyable to play, as well as more aesthetically pleasing(it had a white border around the glossy black frontage, giving it what I felt was a mature and classy look). In the end my colleague went for the more expensive and feature packed option, and has since been bitching that thanks to the Floyd Rose unit, a.) he has had to alter his string bends, and b.) he has to switch guitars to play in Drop D. This is in spite of suggestions to remedy the problem, as well as the fact that he didn't use the tremolo on his strat and doesn't use it on the Ibanez either. Go figure.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Yeah, a JEM like this one. He yeah, the Floyd Rose was a big selling point to me back then, because of all the flashy stuff Vai pulls off with it :D It's a great guitar, and I wouldn't even sell it, because once in a blue moon I take it out of the case, marvel at the fact that it's still like 99% in tune, and then play "Smoke on the water" or some ZZ Top riff for half an hour :D
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Retuning it and putting the nut back slightly differently seems to have dealt significantly with the echo problem. Also, it turned out that it was mostly coming from the first fret on the downtuned A string, not the E, which surprised me. I don't think I wail on that one as much as I do the downtuned E, but maybe I do? Perhaps I overcompensate for my perceived over-like of chunky, extra-low end chugging and hammer ons and such and move down to the standard tuned strings to try and do "normal guitar" as to not lose experience.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus