The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

ZGundam
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty One Up

Post by ZGundam »

Another excellent chapter.

And I love the homage to ADAM 12 :mrgreen:
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Keep up the good work, Stuart!
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal just summed up the whole of this series is one comic...
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Nematocyst wrote:What? Even knowing that the police carries weapons that there would be nothing left of you to bury if they decided to use them on you?
Criminals have guns too, y'know. And someone mentioned that cops in that particular district have an MS-13 problem. Those guys are nasty fuckers, and they're known to pack fully automatic weapons. Even the arm-breaking monster that is the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum revolver won't completely dissuade a guy with a submachine gun.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Ilya Muromets wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:What? Even knowing that the police carries weapons that there would be nothing left of you to bury if they decided to use them on you?
Criminals have guns too, y'know. And someone mentioned that cops in that particular district have an MS-13 problem. Those guys are nasty fuckers, and they're known to pack fully automatic weapons. Even the arm-breaking monster that is the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum revolver won't completely dissuade a guy with a submachine gun.
Or someone whacked out on PCP.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

JN1 wrote:Cops have always modified their cars to get a little bit of extra speed out of them. In the '80s, for example, the Met's Traffic Department had several Rover SD1s with their V8s bored out to 4.0 litres to allow them to catch Ford Sierra Cosworths. One force did briefly use a Lotus Esprit as a traffic car.
I'd put money on the fact that the engines under the bonnets of the various Volvos, Vauxhalls and BMWs that serve Roads Policing Units over here are not the same as the standard civilian models.

Stu is quite right to say that while you might be able to outrun a cop's patrol car, you definitely can't get beyond the reach of his radio, the force's helicopter (if they have one), or the PNC if they get your registration number. Now that traffic cars are fitted with ANPR cameras they'll know who you are and where you live within seconds.

A 170MPH chase will do well on one of those cop car chase shows. :D
In NSW the Police Highway Patrol chase cars look like standard Holden Commodore SS V8s. 6+ litres sounds good but the cop cars are modified by Holden Special Vehicles, an outfit run by Tom Walkinshaw. So they get a Corvette engine and numerous mods. They are very fast.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

In case anyone's having trouble imagining it...

THIS

Is a pfeiffer-zeliska .600 nitro express.

And yes, that's a muzzle brake.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Barrigana
Redshirt

Post by Barrigana »

[NITPICKING]
A very minor detail, Manuel's surname would be "Porto" not "Oporto".
[/NITPICKING]
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

That's not a gun, that's an artillery piece!
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Does one carry that in a holster or the trunk of the car?!
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Shermpotter
Redshirt

Post by Shermpotter »

Does one carry that in a holster or the trunk of the car?!
Yes.... Depends on how big you are. On my father in law it would look normal, but he was 6'4" and weighed 330 pounds.
Whatever you think you know is most likely wrong.

P.S. 84% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Damn, imagine how strong you would have to be to do Gun Fu with that.
Barrigana wrote:[NITPICKING]
A very minor detail, Manuel's surname would be "Porto" not "Oporto".
[/NITPICKING]
Oporto can be used as a surname, too.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

That .600 nitro express should have a folding stock I reckon.

Am I the only one who thinks that Lemuel is too unknown to be set up as the Abigor of Heaven?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

JBG wrote:In NSW the Police Highway Patrol chase cars look like standard Holden Commodore SS V8s. 6+ litres sounds good but the cop cars are modified by Holden Special Vehicles, an outfit run by Tom Walkinshaw. So they get a Corvette engine and numerous mods. They are very fast.
He used to race prepare XJS and Rover Vitesses for the BTCC, IIRC. Won it a couple of times as a driver if my memory serves.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

8 or so people wrote:Lotsa stuff.
Cool, my first post and several people responded, including the main man himself... to say I'm wrong. Dang. But I shall valiantly defend my position, in the name of truth, justice, and handguns big enough for artillery bombardment!

First, whatever other cops do other places with other model cars is irrelevant. This is in Virginia, and his vehicle is explicitly stated to be a Crown Vic:
"So? We go to Hell. You think they don’t need cops in Hell?" Malloy hit the brakes on the Crown Vic cruiser. "OK, we're there. Get ready."
Second, there's still no way that the Crown Victoria is going to hit 170 MPH, regardless of freedom of the road. Lots of details, but basically, short of nearly rebuilding the car (both in terms of expense and the number of organ systems that need to be replaced) it can't get much above 150 MPH- quite an impressive number, but 20 below target. And that's on ones that already had the right rear axle ratio and driveshaft. Thus, as others have said, the use of helicopters and multiple patrol vehicles to take down a speeder safely, rather than one vehicle in pursuit as seems indicated by the text.

But this is an awful lot of effort for a couple lines that aren't even plot-important. Stopping now.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

westrim wrote:
8 or so people wrote:Lotsa stuff.
Cool, my first post and several people responded, including the main man himself... to say I'm wrong. Dang. But I shall valiantly defend my position, in the name of truth, justice, and handguns big enough for artillery bombardment!

First, whatever other cops do other places with other model cars is irrelevant. This is in Virginia, and his vehicle is explicitly stated to be a Crown Vic:
"So? We go to Hell. You think they don’t need cops in Hell?" Malloy hit the brakes on the Crown Vic cruiser. "OK, we're there. Get ready."
Second, there's still no way that the Crown Victoria is going to hit 170 MPH, regardless of freedom of the road. Lots of details, but basically, short of nearly rebuilding the car (both in terms of expense and the number of organ systems that need to be replaced) it can't get much above 150 MPH- quite an impressive number, but 20 below target. And that's on ones that already had the right rear axle ratio and driveshaft. Thus, as others have said, the use of helicopters and multiple patrol vehicles to take down a speeder safely, rather than one vehicle in pursuit as seems indicated by the text.

But this is an awful lot of effort for a couple lines that aren't even plot-important. Stopping now.
Technically, it's Maryland. I-270 is on the north side of the Beltway. I'm from Virginia, I go to DC often enough.

As to the top speed...I think 150 is fast enough for our purposes. That's still extremely fast, and if Stuart is set on 170, he could say that the guy kicked it up to 170 when he escaped. Still, I think this is a nitpick in general (though if it's still there in the final copy, we all know someone else will nag on it as well).
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

GrayAnderson wrote:
Technically, it's Maryland. I-270 is on the north side of the Beltway. I'm from Virginia, I go to DC often enough.

As to the top speed...I think 150 is fast enough for our purposes. That's still extremely fast, and if Stuart is set on 170, he could say that the guy kicked it up to 170 when he escaped. Still, I think this is a nitpick in general (though if it's still there in the final copy, we all know someone else will nag on it as well).
Right, Maryland. Bethesda is in Maryland and it said Maryland half a dozen times in the chapter. Why did I think Virginia then?
:banghead: :banghead:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Pelranius wrote:That .600 nitro express should have a folding stock I reckon.

Am I the only one who thinks that Lemuel is too unknown to be set up as the Abigor of Heaven?
Isn't Lemuel the head of heavens equivalent to a police force ?

Also I just realised that nothing Micheal has done comes anywhere close to what humans know Abigor has done. So I can see humans letting Micheal rule, even if they know everything, because they know he understands what human firepower can do if he tries to betray them.
tricksterson
Redshirt

Post by tricksterson »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:In case anyone's having trouble imagining it...

THIS

Is a pfeiffer-zeliska .600 nitro express.

And yes, that's a muzzle brake.
Holy SHIT! Apropriate that this series should have a cameo by the Handgun From Hell.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Well, I wonder if a Baldrick could use a modified version of it? Bigger trigger guard, and bigger trigger would be the only really nescessary modifications needed.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
ebs2323
Redshirt

Post by ebs2323 »

Night_stalker wrote:Well, I wonder if a Baldrick could use a modified version of it? Bigger trigger guard, and bigger trigger would be the only really nescessary modifications needed.
That sounds like a good idea, I hope Stuart goes with it. That is if Stuart decides to comment on the sidearm of a Baldrick.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Who's the imbecile who thought that... thing should be a pistol? It's like a carbine with a pistol grip. And no stock. Worst of everything. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Same reason why the Nazis were enamored of the King tiger and were trying to build the P-1000 Ratte, and the same reason the Japanese, Americans, and British were trying to build the biggest warship in the years before WW2. It's a pure dick-swinging competition, and *everybody* loves to say they built the biggest, baddest piece on the market. Are you man enough to use it?

Seriously, you don't fire that thing without crouching, good balance, and something to lean on. The fact that some actually bought it is a testament to... you know. I'd imagine these tend to be custom pieces, like Lambourghini's and Ferraris, built to order. I doubt there's a large market for mass production of these monsters.

EDIT: Also remembered that the Russians built the K-7 Kalinin and the Tsar Bomba. Talk about overcompensating!
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The PZ .600 Nitro was built pretty much to prove it COULD be built. Like when Dodge used twin viper engines to make a motorcycle. Also, they sell for about $17,000.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

You will note that the character using it fell flat on his back the first time he pulled the trigger :D
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others