Imperium of Man vs Galactic Empire.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Re: Imperium of Man vs Galactic Empire.

Post by Kuroji »

Seconding Serafina in this regard. The more complex it is, the more likely it is that it can be corrupted (which is part of why the IoM doesn't use robots, but instead, servitors), but Chaos doesn't give a damn about the physical laws of the universe anyway; give them an hour alone with your AT-AT and it'll sprout wings and start flying around and taking bites out of space marines.

But seriously, as far as the possibility of casual corruption goes, Shadow Droids and Chrysalides would definitely be up there on the top of the list. I don't think they'd be able to operate for very long at all when they have to depend on the Dark Side. They'd end up turning to Chaos and trying to blow up both sides, or trying to spread the corruption further.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Kuroji wrote:Seconding Serafina in this regard. The more complex it is, the more likely it is that it can be corrupted (which is part of why the IoM doesn't use robots, but instead, servitors), but Chaos doesn't give a damn about the physical laws of the universe anyway; give them an hour alone with your AT-AT and it'll sprout wings and start flying around and taking bites out of space marines.
Shroomy shit aside, I don't think... something-something. You don't see unmanned Tau drones mutating into chaotic gremlins that go SQUAWK or anything. Do we see any non-Imperium/non-human tech that gets turned into obscene atrocities?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: Shroomy shit aside, I don't think... something-something. You don't see unmanned Tau drones mutating into chaotic gremlins that go SQUAWK or anything. Do we see any non-Imperium/non-human tech that gets turned into obscene atrocities?
Tau drones are fairly simple, and everyone else generally has no unmanned tech. The closest things to it are Wraithguard, and they're "manned" by the souls of dead Eldar.

If anyone else's gubbins is turned into an obscene atrocity, it was done by an Ork.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Kuroji wrote:Seconding Serafina in this regard. The more complex it is, the more likely it is that it can be corrupted (which is part of why the IoM doesn't use robots, but instead, servitors), but Chaos doesn't give a damn about the physical laws of the universe anyway; give them an hour alone with your AT-AT and it'll sprout wings and start flying around and taking bites out of space marines.
Shroomy shit aside, I don't think... something-something. You don't see unmanned Tau drones mutating into chaotic gremlins that go SQUAWK or anything. Do we see any non-Imperium/non-human tech that gets turned into obscene atrocities?
Tau drones don't have anything resembling emotions or sophisticated intelligence (unlike SW-droids).
Furthermore, these specific examples are powered by the Dark side - they already work by hate, agony and fury. Going from there to chaos is a very small step.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That's stupid though. How the fuck can you power a droid with "the Dark Side" or some shit? Does a Droideka powered by "the Dark Side" get some weirdo Dark Side powers, like shooting Sith lightning? Or does a droid powered by "the Dark Side" just shoot pew-pew lasers all the same? What's the difference between powering the droid with "the Dark Side" and putting an Energizer Bunny in a hamster wheel inside its chassis? What's so different about that Dark Side droid?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

No, no, it isn't actually a droid, it's still got a human brain on life support running the show. Palpatine just went 'here, have some evil, and let me take out everything that doesn't matter to your job' at them. Basically he did that so he'd be able to control them directly if need be.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What difference does having an evil brain in a robot body make?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Human brain means it isn't a droid - normal brain instead of artificial - and since it's already tapping into the Dark Side for extra rage or whatever, it's probably a lot more corruptible when Chaos comes into play. In short, this is one of the worst possible weapons that could be used in a fight against the IoM, bar none.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What difference does having an evil brain in a robot body make?
That evil brain is powered by sith alchemy. Sith philosophy revolves around not keeping ones feeling back, especially anger and hatred.

It's hard to corrupt a non-thinking machine.
It's less hard to corrupt a thinking machine. (basically all SW-droids)
It's easier to corrupt a living being.
And it's easiest to corrupt a living being that is already a rampaging madman.

The Shadow droids are the latter.

Sith/Dark side philosophy is really very vulnerabe to chaos - they search personal power above everything else, they feed of their anger and hatred and rarely if ever care about other people. Many would propably embrace chaos as much as they can, since it is even more powerfull than the dark side and they don't care about the price they have to pay.

To give examples:
Anakin choose the Dark side because he hoped that this would give him the power to keep Padme from dying.
Chaos could have given him the same thing, without hard work. It even could have revived her after she was dead or brought her back to him after she "betrayed" him.

Count Dookus personal arrogance would drive him into the arms of either Tzeentch or Slaneesh.
With that, he would have been able to orchestrate even more elaborate plans, use senators without them even knowing or to just charm his way to being chancellor himself.

Darth Maul would have been the perfect Khornate. Chaos could have enhanced his strenght, speed and resilience even more than the dark side and make him more terrifying to boot. Instead of just using a boot to kick your enemies, how about having clawed feet that rival your lightsaber in lethality?

I could go on and elaborate more, but i guess you should get the point.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

No, no, no. I got all that. I was just wondering what makes putting a brain in a robot body better than putting a microchip in a robot body, like if it made those Dark Side droids more lethal or better in combat than the average no-brained droid or something. Does having a meat brain make the Dark Side droid more combat capable than not having a meat brain? :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Marginally, perhaps. I think it's just a matter of the Emperor wanting to be able to assert direct control over them in case someone tried to screw him over. Being able to extend your mind to control them? Doesn't get much more direct than that.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:No, no, no. I got all that. I was just wondering what makes putting a brain in a robot body better than putting a microchip in a robot body, like if it made those Dark Side droids more lethal or better in combat than the average no-brained droid or something. Does having a meat brain make the Dark Side droid more combat capable than not having a meat brain? :D
To be honest, we are given little to nothing on that regard. It appeared more that they used that particular bit so the writers could give that the Emperor had made even starfighter pilots into his Dark Side soldiers. We saw very little of their combat capabilities and nothing to get solid evidence upon which to base whether or not were they any more effective then regular TIE pilots or even droid pilots.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: Does having a meat brain make the Dark Side droid more combat capable than not having a meat brain? :D
Possibly. Enhanced reflexes and/or precog, possibly access to some specialied or lower level Force powers (messing with minds or something like that.) There's lots of examples of untrained force users using the force to aid them in various ways (Luke in ANH and TESB, Anakin in TPM, plus a shitload of EU examples.)

I'm frankly going to leave the Frankenstein sith alchemy shit out of things for now - just think of it in terms of a chaos mutation - not really a whole lot of difference (creating horrible psychotic magical monsters for example.)
Shroom Man 777 wrote: Shroomy shit aside, I don't think... something-something. You don't see unmanned Tau drones mutating into chaotic gremlins that go SQUAWK or anything. Do we see any non-Imperium/non-human tech that gets turned into obscene atrocities?
Well "mutation" or "possession" or "corruption" or however the fuck you want to term it can take many forms. If we're talking about "fucking around with inert matter in/near warp energy" like planets in the EoT than anything can be mutated or fucked over. It's a sort of possession, but it likely behaves more like, say, a Daemon sword, or the mutated bolter weapons CSM can carry. I'd imagine in the context of that possession it might behave more like a daemonhost than a possesssed being (yes, there is a difference.)

The other kind is more selective - basically influencing anything with thoughts/sentience and/or emotions. It *could* be possessed but the likelihood of this depends on how well "connected" to the warp it is - a rather weak connection probably means chances of being possessed or whatnot is low for various reasons (Daemons and other warp entities always favor sentients with a strong connection ot the warp, as a rule.)
XX1
Redshirt

Post by XX1 »

hello, im new here i was reading all this and i think that SW vs W40K cant be compared... true both arent pure scifi but more fantasy but they are so different in some aspects that i think its not good to comparing them.

but its also very interesting how human mind work, basically this thread showed that bigger, more lasers, larger numbers = better and its look that its very bound to "materialism" i know this is hard offtopic but if i go on some kind of UFO forum or alien contacties (whatever they telling lie or truth) its look that our basic imagination about far future and capabilities are somehow LOW (SW, W40K, Startrek and so on) for example if we read some of those contactie stories we can read something about shifting dimensions, invisibility, powerfull forces which can control mind or stimulate feelings, completely disable our will and fade out, energy sources "beyond"... i must say that my English isnt good so i cant precisely write what i mean, but i hope you understand.. for example why such Star Destroyer have something so inferior like laser turrets or torpedo launchers, why it have engines at back?

for example we can read that ufo ships are moving by gravitation field which distorting space around craft, that it can change plane of existence (transport to different alternative reality), instead of lasers, projectiles they use fields of energy which can dis-materialize anything..

actually which i trying to say, is that how we think, how we imagining things as humans and how we think that bigger and powerful by material mean its stronger and ultimate, how stormtroopers with blast proof suit are good, or how 8 feet tall Warhammer SpaceMarines with 500-1000KG steel armor are badass with their BIG and powerful boters

and than we have our little greys which can walk thru wall, steel, or whatever with some kind of wrist device and theirs little "pistols" can dematerialize any matter, how than 1000KG armor on SpaceMarine is good? how than Star Destroyer or Star Executor are good against this kind (type) of technology? :roll:

again i dont want steal this thread or push it with different direction but this comes to my mind when i read it here :D
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Please read the rules in the announcements forum. This is called Thread Necromancy, and it is against them.

Thread Locked.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth