The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stuart
Sith Devotee

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Two Up

Post by Stuart »

PaperJack wrote:Why not using a fuel-air bomb instead, then ? I think that would have annhilated them too.
FAEs are too unreliable; they have a massive failure rate and are only really effective under optimum conditions. If the weather is slightly off or any one of a number of adverse events take place, the FAE simply doesn't work. Thermobarics are better but are still very unreliable. In contrast, nuclear weapons are like good women, look after them properly and you can always love and trust them.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

Stuart wrote: The neo-Nazi wankers really hate this novel, a fact which gives me quiet pride.
From looking at the Amazon reviews the biggest problem seemed to be with the editing. Even the positive reviewers noted that there were errors. Incidentally, do you have a professional editor on hand to check TSW over before you publish it? The forum-goers note some things, but not everything, and it's always good to have one solid proofreader to lean on.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: Maybe if it catches on, I can get a Salvation War t-shirt.
Or maybe a Salvation War movie. I'd watch it a million times, even if Uwe Boll or Michael Bay directs it.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Valiran
Redshirt

Post by Valiran »

Nematocyst wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote: Maybe if it catches on, I can get a Salvation War t-shirt.
Or maybe a Salvation War movie. I'd watch it a million times, even if Uwe Boll or Michael Bay directs it.
For fuck's sake NO!!!

Uwe Boll must never be allowed to direct a movie based on this magnificent work of literature! However, I do believe that if Michael Bay was in charge of the special effects, it would be very awesome. :twisted:

Though considering how CGI and live action don't mesh together too well at times, it might be a better idea to follow the example set by Beowulf.
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just open the portal on Earth and start tossing nuclear-tipped Tomahawks through? Besides, Heaven is nice real estate, and it's a shame to damage nice real estate more than you have to to win the war.
Yes, but it wouldn't be as awesome as punching God with the Sun.
Peptuck, responding to Simon_Jester on the best ways to attack heaven.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

westrim wrote:
Stuart wrote: The neo-Nazi wankers really hate this novel, a fact which gives me quiet pride.
From looking at the Amazon reviews the biggest problem seemed to be with the editing. Even the positive reviewers noted that there were errors. Incidentally, do you have a professional editor on hand to check TSW over before you publish it? The forum-goers note some things, but not everything, and it's always good to have one solid proofreader to lean on.
The editing gets a lot better after the first novel, although there are still some weirdly worded sentences and phrases in the later stuff (not the dialogue, but the prose).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Not even Uwe Boll can screw with TSW. The result will still be incredibly awesome.

It would be spectacular if the actual living characters played themselves.
You see the credits:
George W. Bush - Himself
Condoleeza Rice - Herself
The Amazing Randi - Himself
David Petraeus - Himself
Satan - Bobby Kotick
And so on. TSW deserves nothing less.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

westrim wrote: From looking at the Amazon reviews the biggest problem seemed to be with the editing. Even the positive reviewers noted that there were errors. Incidentally, do you have a professional editor on hand to check TSW over before you publish it? The forum-goers note some things, but not everything, and it's always good to have one solid proofreader to lean on.
The problem was that the publishers screwed up and lost the author's and copy-editing corrections. So, what got to the market place was essentially an uncorrected galley and nobody caught it. We'll fix it when the hardback comes out. Yes, the text is proof-read by outside copy editors. That's where TSW:Armageddon is now.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

Stuart wrote:
westrim wrote: From looking at the Amazon reviews the biggest problem seemed to be with the editing. Even the positive reviewers noted that there were errors. Incidentally, do you have a professional editor on hand to check TSW over before you publish it? The forum-goers note some things, but not everything, and it's always good to have one solid proofreader to lean on.
The problem was that the publishers screwed up and lost the author's and copy-editing corrections. So, what got to the market place was essentially an uncorrected galley and nobody caught it. We'll fix it when the hardback comes out. Yes, the text is proof-read by outside copy editors. That's where TSW:Armageddon is now.
Ah, cool. And sorry that happened to you on your first book. Someone (or me, when I get copy) should probably submit a review saying that, but I figured there was probably a reason for it.
Brovane
Redshirt

Post by Brovane »

Brovane wrote:This is exactly what would have happened if Armageddon would have happened in the TBO universe. SAC would have rained nuclear destruction down on Satan's armies instead of engaging them in ground to ground combat. Satan would have felt the full force of the nuclear destructive power that humans can bring to bear. In TBO the US doesn't really know moderation and limited application of fire power. Nuclear weapons are the first and the last option that the US brings to the table during a fight.
"Oh, hostile universe full of demons?"
[lobs fusion bomb]
"Wait, they're still staggering around in the ruins! Throw in another one!"[/quote]

I agree, ground based AAA was very effective and could be more so. Any harpie unit attacking a group of ZSU23/4s would be in a world of pain.

I am not sure about TBO analogies though. Bear in mind that at that stage there was still Heaven to go next and humans may have wanted to keep some cards up it's sleeve.[/quote]

In TBO the primary fighting arm of the US is the USAF and SAC. The Army and the Marine's are a small force. Primarly fighting is done with the USAF and US Navy which are very strong. In TBO it is said that the US doesn't fight there opponents it just destroys them. In the current timeline that Armaggadeon is in the US uses escalating fire power with just enough applied to achieve destruction of the enemy. More powerful weapons are kept in reserve until needed with nuclear devices never been used. In TBO, basically nuclear weapons are it. The US ground forces are all designed to fight on a atomic battlefied where nuclear weapons are being used. In TBO the US simply lacks the conventional arms to defeat Satans armies on a battlefield. US Ground forces are kept weak so they will never be employed. Of course I shudder at the implications of trying to mount a hell filter on the engine intakes for a B-70 Valkayrie
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Stuart wrote: The problem was that the publishers screwed up and lost the author's and copy-editing corrections. So, what got to the market place was essentially an uncorrected galley and nobody caught it.
I trust the culprits have been invited to dinner with a certain Lady.
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
-Frederick the Great, 1777
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Brovane wrote:I agree, ground based AAA was very effective and could be more so. Any harpie unit attacking a group of ZSU23/4s would be in a world of pain.
They were. That's exactly what happened. Well, I take it back. That was a mountain of pain. What was a world of pain was when the harpies attacked the NBC-protected BMPs and the Soviets lobbed a cloud of nerve gas on top of the whole area.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

Bayonet wrote:
Stuart wrote: The problem was that the publishers screwed up and lost the author's and copy-editing corrections. So, what got to the market place was essentially an uncorrected galley and nobody caught it.
I trust the culprits have been invited to dinner with a certain Lady.
HeHe Dennis, that could be most unpleasant :twisted:
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:Well, the hipsters have gotten wind of TSW, so I'm going to forget I ever read it now before they co-opt it as their own in any sense... and considering the age of the article, it's probably wending it's way through hipsterdom as we speak.
Maybe if it catches on, I can get a Salvation War t-shirt.
If I see you in one on the street and launch into a feral, mindless assault on you and your shirt, I apologize in advance.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:Well, the hipsters have gotten wind of TSW, so I'm going to forget I ever read it now before they co-opt it as their own in any sense... and considering the age of the article, it's probably wending it's way through hipsterdom as we speak.
Give me a couple days

(you might regret this)
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
If I see you in one on the street and launch into a feral, mindless assault on you and your shirt, I apologize in advance.
What's wrong with a T-shirt? If they made TBO shirts I'd have one of those, too.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:If I see you in one on the street and launch into a feral, mindless assault on you and your shirt, I apologize in advance.
What's wrong with a T-shirt? If they made TBO shirts I'd have one of those, too.
I'm just assuming it'd bear all the manufactured ironic faux-camp hallmarks of hipsterdom, and me and hipsters, well, it's kind of like Looney Tunes bulls and red capes.
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

hm, if there was a T-shirt for TSW. what would it look like? as far as I know, there aren't really any iconic images associated with the story...
heck, I'd be interested to see anyone's ideas :P
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Some of the scenes from the Battle of Hit would look good, and they would capture part of the essence of TSW.
And if we get Angels and human infantry in CC, that too.
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

hehe, just had a little image in my mind of a demon zapping a tank with lightning...
and the tank crew just like "did you feel that?"
might make a fun cartoony pic for a T-shirt..probably a better caption is needed :P
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Ruadhan2300 wrote:hm, if there was a T-shirt for TSW. what would it look like? as far as I know, there aren't really any iconic images associated with the story...
heck, I'd be interested to see anyone's ideas :P
1. Abrams tank crushing demons, Caption: 'Demons go crunch too!'

2. YAL-1 gutting Uriel with a laser

3. F/A-18 firing a missile at one of Satan's Heralds

4. Bill Clinton with a shotgun standing over a dead Succubus, Caption: 'Wild Bill'

that's just off the top of my head

5. (not drawn from any scene) Hell red ACU Pattern shirt with 101st 'Hellborne' graphic (a demon or demonic looking eagle) and "The Salvation War" above the 'Hellborne' tab
Nick79
Redshirt

Post by Nick79 »

If I had to guess what would sell best, I'd say subtle stuff. Patches, hats or shirts with military and mil/industrial complex names, designations, regiments, etc unique to the story. Same with stuff from research half of things. Subtlety sells better IME.

Something like "Demons Go Crunch" would work much better on a high res poster with good art, the full story name, and a bit more info. Although even their I"d probably go with something from the story, perhaps "Sod off, Baldrick!" (if I'm remembering the line right... it's something very close to that, anyways.) instead of the "crunch" line.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

FedRebel wrote: 5. (not drawn from any scene) Hell red ACU Pattern shirt with 101st 'Hellborne' graphic (a demon or demonic looking eagle) and "The Salvation War" above the 'Hellborne' tab
Also, when the Heavenly Host starts getting their asses handed to them, the 101st Christkillers, with a sword breaking the cross, in white/silver ACU pattern.

I'd buy 50 of each.

Another thing: I read something about someone making the DIMO(N) badge. What happened to it?
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

My personal cover art for "Lords of War" would be an "traditional Japanese art" stylized (hey, it worked for Magpul!) image of David Petraeus in hell camo, sitting atop the broken bodies of both a demon and an angel.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

That would make him look like a bloodthirsty warlord instead of a heroic commander.
Then again, the line between those is so blurry...
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Nematocyst wrote:That would make him look like a bloodthirsty warlord instead of a heroic commander.
Then again, the line between those is so blurry...
デービッド・ペトレイアス, 新世紀末覇者!!

My originating idea was simply for it to symbolize that human military/political supremacy compared to the opposing societies... but it should be a demon and an angel, not Satan and Yahweh, for that very reason. The "mind's eye" version of this had a Petraeus with a stoic or even sad expression, nowhere near triumphant, much less bloodthirsty.

Heck, your concern would actually work if it were done "humans/Petraeus through non-human eyes" style... I'd find it hilarious if in particular it was meant to be orc or "Heaven human" eyes. Something like CaptainChewbacca's take on Petraeus' "dynamic" storming Valhalla, even if he may not be the "grand entrance" type.

Personally I would have found it interesting for Petraeus to have personally received the surrender and Abigor have seen him then, as implausible and outright dangerous as it would have been... all the more ironic for Abigor to see that he had been bested "by" an "elderly" human.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread