The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Four Up

Post by Simon_Jester »

Nematocyst wrote:I thought the Baptists were worse than the Evangelical. Westboro and Landover make the people condemning Harry Potter and D&D look like well mannered smart people.
The worse Baptists are evangelicals. That doesn't mean they all are.
Also, why all the hate on the Osprey? We finally get a VTOL capable of holding more than two dudes and we treat it as if it was something other than a godsend
There have been some chronic complaints about its mechanical reliability, I think, but that's all I know.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
old Infantryman
Redshirt

Post by old Infantryman »

Stuart wrote:[...a tiny minority who make up in noise what they lack in *numbers *. Mostly they track back to **one or two locations** and the poor guys must be going around barefoot given all the sock puppets they've been creating..

* and brain cells.

** possibly the most tactful euphemism for 'inbreeding' - sorry, 'Pedigree Collapse' - that I've read this year!
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

westrim wrote:
tim31 wrote:
General Schatten wrote:Ahahahah! Stuart made Shep a Failsprey pilot!
Beat me to it :lol:
Failsprey sounds awkward. Aren't there any better slurs?
I don't have anything against the Osprey, only Shep. So you can take Sheptard, Shepwit, steaming pile of Shep, or just plain Shep.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nematocyst wrote:I thought the Baptists were worse than the Evangelical. Westboro and Landover make the people condemning Harry Potter and D&D look like well mannered smart people.
I will remind you that the Westboro and Landover cults have been kicked out of the Baptist Conventions for nearly a decade now. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of Young-Earth-Creationist Fundamentalist Baptists in charge of the National Baptist Associations, which is why I no longer attend Church Services. Do you know how hard it is to go to the church you were raised in and hear something that is 180* from what you were raised upon? And to be unable to call them on it because it would embarrass my Choir-Member/pillar of the church Mother? Not to mention my relatives make up 80% of the church membership... :banghead:

Anyway... Great Update! Now let's Finish This, Stuart. :angelic:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

So they were kicked out because they were too hardcore? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Not 'hardcore', hateful. They were too hateful.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

One point I've noticed about previous posts. When people asked what Stuart meant by Lemuel's apology being the first sincere apology from an angel to a human in 4000 years, I think that's how long since the humans met the angels and demons. Similarly the comment from a poster about "being lied to for 2000 years"; IIRC, the Israeli government celebrated the 6000th birthday of Jerusalem (Yerushelayim) back in 1999. So wouldn't the whole biblical dealie with the angels and demons start back that old? I mean, Heaven's been closed to humans back in the 11th century or so, but they've been messing with us longer than that.

And I agree with Capt. Chewbacca. I'm a Muslim, and I like this series. My reasoning is "yeah, that's not my god" and just read it as an alien invasion - one that's getting the shit kicked out of it by humans rather than the other way around.

As for the use of tactical nukes: Doesn't need to be against the Heavenly City. I mean, the Angels use Bronze Age/Medieval tactics, right? Tac-nuke the massed formations and sit back and pass the popcorn.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

I wonder if a new reason for people to get pissed just popped up. I almost half expect some self-proclaimed, die-hard fan of Robert E. Lee go into a rage at a fic having "Massa Robert" get owned in modern war games and getting lectured about it. I mean, you'll never know what some people can get all pissed about, after all.

Then there's that part where Lee admitted that slavery was the true cause for secession, which is guaranteed to rile up the "It was about states' rights, not slavery!" crowd.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Valiran
Redshirt

Post by Valiran »

Ilya Muromets wrote:I wonder if a new reason for people to get pissed just popped up. I almost half expect some self-proclaimed, die-hard fan of Robert E. Lee go into a rage at a fic having "Massa Robert" get owned in modern war games and getting lectured about it. I mean, you'll never know what some people can get all pissed about, after all.
In our world, there will always be someone ready and waiting to get offended about something. Or anything, for that matter.
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just open the portal on Earth and start tossing nuclear-tipped Tomahawks through? Besides, Heaven is nice real estate, and it's a shame to damage nice real estate more than you have to to win the war.
Yes, but it wouldn't be as awesome as punching God with the Sun.
Peptuck, responding to Simon_Jester on the best ways to attack heaven.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Also, why all the hate on the Osprey? We finally get a VTOL capable of holding more than two dudes and we treat it as if it was something other than a godsend
Landover is a parody. Westboro should be. And while Baptists will vary from congregation to congregation (as with most denominations), most aren't nearly that bad.
Ilya Muromets wrote:I wonder if a new reason for people to get pissed just popped up. I almost half expect some self-proclaimed, die-hard fan of Robert E. Lee go into a rage at a fic having "Massa Robert" get owned in modern war games and getting lectured about it. I mean, you'll never know what some people can get all pissed about, after all.

Then there's that part where Lee admitted that slavery was the true cause for secession, which is guaranteed to rile up the "It was about states' rights, not slavery!" crowd.
1) Though I know Stuart is shooting for commercial viability to at least some extent, I think the response to such people often does need to come down to "if you're offended, then go somewhere else." Yes, there are times and places to be offended, but I do wish that more people would tell what I'll call "professional complainers" (i.e. people who complain when 99% of people and 95% of the supposedly offended people don't care...whomever instituted some of the NCAA rules a couple of years back falls under this category) to sod off. Also, I suspect that most of those people won't be buying the book anyway.

2) On the Civil War, I do view the question as mixed. In the Deep South (i.e. the states that seceded earlier), I believe it was primarily slavery, with a side of states' rights thrown in for good rhetoric more than anything. In the Upper South (i.e. VA, NC, TN, and...I think TX was the other late state out), however, I think the question was more mixed and that states' rights played a more substantial role (even though the two were hopelessly entangled by the rhetoric of the day). I think the fact that they didn't secede until it became clear that a war was going to happen over the matter is the best evidence for that; absent their secession, the CSA was probably screwed, so this doesn't seem to be the most pragmatic move, but I can see armed conflict between the states being enough to put people over the edge...I seem to recall that, for example, Clement Vallandigham was personally anti-slavery but threw up his fit over the federal government not having the authority to force states to stay in the union (something that was a disputed view at the time; bear in mind that there had previously been a secessionist movement in New England on the slavery matter as well). And yes, I know the South shot first...that doesn't change the fact that there were people who genuinely wanted out of a central government that was willing to go to war to keep what were often seen as sovereign units part of it. In short, it was about slavery for a lot of people, but there were also a number (increasing as you got outside the cotton states) for whom the war did legitimately revolve on the right of a state to secede if nothing else, something that was at the time an unresolved question. Do remember that nullification had also been held as a legitimate doctrine within living memory at the time, too; this isn't as crazy as it sounds now.[/rambling]
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Actually, the bit about Lee being outdated I think could be understood, although you'll have the wankers pissed at his depicted inability to adapt. I actually saw his inability to "think like the enemy"* as a more direct poke at the "legend of Lee," since that's a more fundamental flaw than simply being handicapped by outdated concepts.

I just had another idea, a tweak to my earlier one, for a Lords of War cover... a stoic or sad Petraeus sitting cross-legged atop the broken bodies of a demon and an angel, but now in a dishdasha or Afghan robe/shawl in hell camo. Heck, stick a kaffiyeh on him for maximum symbolism. (If "humans through others' eyes," distort the expression as needed to make him look "bloodthirsty warlord.")

*Reads the latest Vanity Fair articles on him* You sure we won't have to rename his TSW counterpart to avert accusations of Canon Sue? :lol:

* I'm reminded of Cao Cao's mishap in Huarong Valley after Chibi from Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
lichtbringer
Redshirt

Post by lichtbringer »

Until now I was a silent reader of the story and the discussion. But the itching in the fingers got to strong.
  • Where to find Hitler and other equal loonies: I think the 9th circle of hell would be a good place to start.
  • Death Penalty in this universe: Now Problem here. Just kill him in the first life, wait until he or she arrived in hell and kill him/her again.
  • Incoorperation of historical figures: I'm with stuart this will most likly spoil the story. Stuart following the line that modern world has to much changed for being historical persons usefull. But sometimes I think perhaps modern military tacticts are more then older tacticts again. Gen. Lee has hist problems with that because he was used to fight in close lines. But would military leaders like Genghis Khan be able to adapt to the new tactis faster then his later counterparts. Sometimes I think the tactics of the mongols of riding in wide lines with shooting from the horseback is similar to tank tactics (but I'm nonmilitary so most likly I'm telling BS). But you have to admit that the picture of Genghis Khan storming heaven leading a devision of tanks is funny. But an other thought: Perhaps the greates genius human has ever born lived a few century back as a son of a poor farmer and never had any chance to show his talents as he had to work on the fields and died with 20 on some kind of illness. Perhaps integrating such a figure in the story would be some kind of fun. I imagine how puzzled modern timers could be how fast a rescued mediavial farmer is learning new concepts and has some interesting ideas.
ANTIcarrot
Redshirt

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Have we ever seen Yahweh move? As far as I can remember, apart from screaming and throwing lightening bolts around, he sems bolted to his throne. Is he a Yggdrasil or something, or just immensely fat?
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

He had no need to move, so far. But when he learns of Michael's conspiracies and our armies knocking at his door, I'm quite sure he'll move. In a flash.
lichtbringer wrote:Where to find Hitler and other equal loonies: I think the 9th circle of hell would be a good place to start.
The 9th Circle is reserved for traitors. Hitler would be in the 7th Circle, in the Forest of Suicides, or in the 8th Circle with corrupt politicians.
Death Penalty in this universe: Now Problem here. Just kill him in the first life, wait until he or she arrived in hell and kill him/her again.
That is indeed a problem that hasn't been really solved, so far. It'll be most likely left to Lords of War, as it has deep legal problems.
Incoorperation of historical figures
There are other reasons about why Stuart doesn't want historical dead characters to do everything. Spotlight reasons, for example.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Nematocyst wrote:
lichtbringer wrote:Where to find Hitler and other equal loonies: I think the 9th circle of hell would be a good place to start.
The 9th Circle is reserved for traitors. Hitler would be in the 7th Circle, in the Forest of Suicides, or in the 8th Circle with corrupt politicians.
Hmm. The Forest of Suicides can't really exist, because there's no way to magically transform second lifers into trees. Hitler could be in the eighth circle, or in the ninth; it depends on whether he's seen more as a corrupt politician or as a betrayer.
There are other reasons about why Stuart doesn't want historical dead characters to do everything. Spotlight reasons, for example.
Though at the very least, someone like Subotai might be able to grasp modern strategy faster than someone like Lee. But the tactical situation would be even worse- Lee lived in an era where things like snipers and artillery were beginning to be a problem, and he had a frame of reference to understand them. Pre-gunpowder generals would have an even harder time adapting to modern weapons on the tactical level.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
lichtbringer
Redshirt

Post by lichtbringer »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:
Hmm. The Forest of Suicides can't really exist, because there's no way to magically transform second lifers into trees. Hitler could be in the eighth circle, or in the ninth; it depends on whether he's seen more as a corrupt politician or as a betrayer.
Mhm, I don't think the 8th circle fits to Hitler. He wasn't corrupt in the sense as you can expect from an absolute dictator. A genocidal douchebag yes, but not corrupt as Herman Görring Style.
Though at the very least, someone like Subotai might be able to grasp modern strategy faster than someone like Lee. But the tactical situation would be even worse- Lee lived in an era where things like snipers and artillery were beginning to be a problem, and he had a frame of reference to understand them. Pre-gunpowder generals would have an even harder time adapting to modern weapons on the tactical level.[/quote]

Yes Subutai was a genius in that area. He could adapt well but as you said he would have his problems with snippers and long range attact weapons. But an other question is, does an actual oldtimer general need to have at the state-of-art-warefare when invading heaven? It isn't that the Host is a modern army. On the other hand if you have a commander who isn't aware of all possibilties he can screw up military moves. Like moving his men into an artillery target area.
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:
Though at the very least, someone like Subotai might be able to grasp modern strategy faster than someone like Lee. But the tactical situation would be even worse- Lee lived in an era where things like snipers and artillery were beginning to be a problem, and he had a frame of reference to understand them. Pre-gunpowder generals would have an even harder time adapting to modern weapons on the tactical level.
On the forest of suicides...

What if these is some kind of "evil" hell plant that is like a gigantic human sized venus fly trap and the people who commit suicide are tossed into them to spend the rest of their "lives" getting digested by the things stomach acids at the same rate that they regenerate?

Thus the only way to free them is for us to take a chainsaw to the tree to cut it down, and then use the jaws of life (or a Baldrick) to pry the thing open.

Horrific, yet perfectly in keeping with the general make up of hell which was self prolonging tortures...
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I would have just dropped that bit of conversation all together. Lee talking about why he fought for the Confederacy seemed a bit shoe-horned in, like suddenly Stuart was doing a voiceover. It didn't really feel natural, it just felt stuck in to rile up Confederate apologists (not that I mind that) and defend Lee a little bit. That's fine, but I didn't think it flowed in the story.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Nematocyst wrote:He had no need to move, so far. But when he learns of Michael's conspiracies and our armies knocking at his door, I'm quite sure he'll move. In a flash.
In a "flash"? I know Yahweh is superhuman and has mad regen, but he can't sit there millenia without giving himself some serious bedsores and atrophying his legs and arms dramatically. Yahweh might be sick in more than just his mind.
Chad
Redshirt

Post by Chad »

Nematocyst wrote:
I think you can certainly make the argument that Hitler betrayed his people. Near the end of the war after it had become obvious to even Hitler that Germany was going to lose the war he refused to consider surrender. (His reason, the German people deserved to suffer because they hadn't given him enough support to enable him to win the war. The fact that it doesn't matter what Germany did as soon as they declared war on basically the entire world they had no possible way of winning the war never seems to have occurred to Hitler.)
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: In a "flash"? I know Yahweh is superhuman and has mad regen, but he can't sit there millenia without giving himself some serious bedsores and atrophying his legs and arms dramatically. Yahweh might be sick in more than just his mind.
Once tanks and men with AT-4 appear in the throne room, I bet Yahweh will put Usain Bolt to shame.
Simon_Jester wrote:Hmm. The Forest of Suicides can't really exist, because there's no way to magically transform second lifers into trees.
The place physically exists. Ori fights a demon there. Whether the place was really used for suicides is another thing. Perhaps they simply hanged the 'corpses' there and let the Harpies feed on them, regenerated and again with the feeding and regeneration.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

I think people should remember that the various layers of the Hellpit aren't about actually giving someone an appropriate eternal punishment. We had this same kind of talk back in Armageddon when Stuart did that McNamara quip. The demons just gave a person's mind a cursory scan and then tossed them wherever they think is funny, and they had to do this like three times a second. When Hitler committed suicide he was probably thinking about suicide, so when the demons looked at him they probably saw "poison, OK, suicide, next." I mean, Stuart's said whenever a soldier died they went "soldier, OK, violent, next." Although maybe they might notice his psychotic paranoia as well.
"Guys, don't do that"
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

just my two cents on the Osprey. As I understand it, the big stigma about it has been mostly caused by its tremendous failure rate during pre-production testing. something to do with vortices being generated when switching from horizontal to vertical flight mode. those problems have since been ironed out and the aircraft itself has been in operation for the latter half of the past decade or so.
Its intended to replace the CH-46 as a infantry and light-cargo transport but it has significant advantages on more or less every front. its got more carry capacity, longer range, quieter engines and is outright faster than pretty much everything else in its role-bracket. one of my personal favourite aircraft :)
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Nematocyst wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: In a "flash"? I know Yahweh is superhuman and has mad regen, but he can't sit there millenia without giving himself some serious bedsores and atrophying his legs and arms dramatically. Yahweh might be sick in more than just his mind.
Once tanks and men with AT-4 appear in the throne room, I bet Yahweh will put Usain Bolt to shame.
What do you base this on? I think at best Yahweh jumps up in his seat, but Stuart hasn't otherwise given us a lot to go on as to how long he's sat there. Again, Yahweh's sickness of mind might be at least in part related to his poor health. He could've started out trying to prove that he was powerful enough to rule from his throne room without personally involving himself in anything for PR reasons, and over time as he became more and more sedentary got iller and iller.

Hey, speaking of which - we've seen angels eat fruit and bread, but how does Yahweh eat? Is his food brought to him by a palace chef?
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Edward Yee wrote: I actually saw his inability to "think like the enemy"* as a more direct poke at the "legend of Lee," since that's a more fundamental flaw than simply being handicapped by outdated concepts.
Not really; its a more subtle example of how Lee is simply out of his depth. In his day, a good defensive position was just that; because the enemy wouldn't see it until they were in range of it and that it could only be attacked by line-of-sight weaponry the search for "good ground" was paramount. Most battles were fought because one side had found a good defensive position and wished to exploit it. This left the other side with the choice of yielding that position or findinga way around it.

Today, we have near-perfect maps, UAVs that give real-time coverage of areas at a considerable distance and we have indirect-fire artillery that can slaughter almost at will - and with precision. Basically if we can see something or deduce the position of something, we can strike at it with deadly effect. So, a superb defensive position becomes a death-trap simply because it is such an obviously good position. This was something that started to grow not long after Lee's era - for example the book "The Defence of Duffer's Drift" has one of its scenarios ending in the defenders being wiped out for exactly this reason.

In Lee's day, a crossroads was a great position for a command post for all the reasons he quotes. Today, we shoot up crossroads just for the hell of it. And, on the offchance that somebody might have parked their butt there.
Gil Hamilton wrote:I would have just dropped that bit of conversation all together. Lee talking about why he fought for the Confederacy seemed a bit shoe-horned in, like suddenly Stuart was doing a voiceover. It didn't really feel natural, it just felt stuck in to rile up Confederate apologists (not that I mind that) and defend Lee a little bit. That's fine, but I didn't think it flowed in the story.
I was actually trying for a very awkward comment by Lee. This is a man who was regarded as something close to a saint by his peers, who was rarely if ever argued with and was used to being obeyed without question - and, by the way, had a bad temper which he didn't always keep under control. Now, he's had his professional competence trashed by a captain who is also black and female who has then proceeded to question everything he stood and fought for. Yet, he is also a fair-minded and honest man who has to admit that she's right on pretty much all counts. So he was trying to control his temper and be conciliatory. In many ways he's as adrift socially and culturally as he is militarily and he simply doesn't really know what to say. So he's trying to defend himself and yet fit in with the culture that now surrounds him. So I was aiming at awkward and disjointed.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others