The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Four Up

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Nematocyst wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: In a "flash"? I know Yahweh is superhuman and has mad regen, but he can't sit there millenia without giving himself some serious bedsores and atrophying his legs and arms dramatically. Yahweh might be sick in more than just his mind.
Once tanks and men with AT-4 appear in the throne room, I bet Yahweh will put Usain Bolt to shame.
Simon_Jester wrote:Hmm. The Forest of Suicides can't really exist, because there's no way to magically transform second lifers into trees.
The place physically exists. Ori fights a demon there. Whether the place was really used for suicides is another thing. Perhaps they simply hanged the 'corpses' there and let the Harpies feed on them, regenerated and again with the feeding and regeneration.
I'm still arguing for my gigantic Venus fly trap explanation (after all the soil of hell should in theory be very fertile from all the volcanic ash) and given by how great a degree humans out number baldricks I doubt they could find enough harpies to feed on all the people who have committed suicide, where as my idea the torture would be self sustaining based on the tree itself.

Of course they don't have to be gigantic venus fly traps, they could be some kind of weird parasite or hive that hijacks the human body and builds a tree around it or something. I know I may sound like I'm getting into magic but if this can happen on earth http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides ... v1-08X.jpg http://www.wickedreport.com/images/Stra ... ease01.jpg then gigantic trees which feed on slowly feed on slowly regenerating humans in hell isn't too much to swallow is it?
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: What do you base this on? I think at best Yahweh jumps up in his seat, but Stuart hasn't otherwise given us a lot to go on as to how long he's sat there.
As much as Satan did, more or less, and he sure ran from here to there after the Lucifer's Finger was destroyed.
I base that on the belief that every living being, God or not, will run like a 100 meter dash gold medalist if threatened in a way fighting will not cease the threat.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Scorpion
Youngling

Post by Scorpion »

Hi there, folks! I registered on pourpose just to say this:

First and foremost: Stuart, you're f***in' awesome and TSW is F***IN' AWESOME and I hope it continues to be so.

Second, the armoured charge into Heaven should be conducted by tanks wielding loudspeakers blaring Sabaton's Panzer Battalion. The reason behind this is Psych warfare. If I recall correctly, angel's Kamehameha is based on a pure note that blast away everything. So, after millenia of listening to pure reverential hymns, 5000 metal chariots blaring distorted guitars, double kick drums and gutural growls is gona make them crap their robes.

The REAL reason behind this is because it's F***IN' AWESOME!!!!!

P.S.: Give other nations a role in the invasion, ok? Armaggedon was excellent in that aspect, but Pantheocide is starting to get a little Amerocentric...

ROCK ON!!!!
Scorpion
Last edited by Scorpion on 2010-04-28 05:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:I was actually trying for a very awkward comment by Lee. This is a man who was regarded as something close to a saint by his peers, who was rarely if ever argued with and was used to being obeyed without question - and, by the way, had a bad temper which he didn't always keep under control. Now, he's had his professional competence trashed by a captain who is also black and female who has then proceeded to question everything he stood and fought for. Yet, he is also a fair-minded and honest man who has to admit that she's right on pretty much all counts. So he was trying to control his temper and be conciliatory. In many ways he's as adrift socially and culturally as he is militarily and he simply doesn't really know what to say. So he's trying to defend himself and yet fit in with the culture that now surrounds him. So I was aiming at awkward and disjointed.
I see what you're saying, but I think there's a catch.

When Lee sounds awkward and confused, the reader may not be able to tell whether it's because he is confused, or because the author did something wrong. You might want to play up Lee's disorientation a little more to make it more clear that he's feeling out of his depth. Though as long as the scene is written from an outsider's viewpoint, that may be impossible, I suppose.
lichtbringer wrote:Mhm, I don't think the 8th circle fits to Hitler. He wasn't corrupt in the sense as you can expect from an absolute dictator. A genocidal douchebag yes, but not corrupt as Herman Görring Style.
Corrupt isn't necessarily the right word for the kind of politicians who wound up in the Malebolge (the Eighth Circle). According to Dante, the Malebolge consisted of ten circular canyons that sinners were trapped in. The canyons, from outermost to innermost, contained:

-Panderers and seducers (Hitler doesn't belong here; he was neither a pimp nor a Casanova).
-Flatterers (Hitler probably doesn't belong here)
-Simonists (No relation; this was the sin of selling church offices. Hitler doesn't belong here)
-Astrologers and diviners (Hitler did a lot of business with astrologers, but wasn't one himself. So no).
-Grafters (Blackmailers, cheating businessmen, corrupt officials. Hitler might belong here; he was involved in a few blackmailings, and his regime was very corrupt even if he didn't keep the money).
-Hypocrites (Dante only identified religious hypocrites, though, so Hitler doesn't qualify)
-Thieves (Hitler probably doesn't belong here)
-Decievers (Those who give bad advice for personal gain; Hitler definitely could go here).
-Schismatics (People who promote discord for personal gain, especially in the Church. Hitler could go here).
-Falsifiers (People who tried to make false things appear true, such as counterfeiters, alchemists, and chronic liars. Hitler told a lot of lies, so he could go here).

So Hitler could easily be in any of the three innermost circles of the Eighth Bolgia, where he would be tormented by a selection of being on fire, big angry demons with swords, or horrible plagues.
Yes Subutai was a genius in that area. He could adapt well but as you said he would have his problems with snippers and long range attact weapons. But an other question is, does an actual oldtimer general need to have at the state-of-art-warefare when invading heaven? It isn't that the Host is a modern army. On the other hand if you have a commander who isn't aware of all possibilties he can screw up military moves. Like moving his men into an artillery target area.
Why bother pulling up oldtime generals when we have plenty of newtime ones who fully understand the abilities of their own armies? For example, one huge factor that's changed in just the past few hundred years is that artillery has become the main killer, especially when air support is considered as artillery.

Someone like Subotai would probably seek to maneuver his front line units (infantry or mechanized "cavalry" for maximum effect against the enemy in direct combat) when they should be concentrating on drawing the enemy into the kill zone of his artillery. The artillery would be held in reserve for large set-piece attacks against a fixed position. Because until quite recently, artillery was not the dominant factor in field battles. Infantry and cavalry were.

Now, our ancient general might do a good job of maneuvering the front line troops, but that's not the point; he'd still be doing it wrong. And he'd still be placing his soldiers at more risk by exposing them more heavily to close combat against enemies that are far stronger and tougher than any normal human soldier.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

lichtbringer wrote:does an actual oldtimer general need to have at the state-of-art-warefare when invading heaven? It isn't that the Host is a modern army.
If it is an even fight, one of you is doing it wrong.
Also, as Simon_Jester said, Angels are physically superior to our infantry. We can't fight in their terms, so we have to make them fight in ours.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Nematocyst wrote:
lichtbringer wrote:does an actual oldtimer general need to have at the state-of-art-warefare when invading heaven? It isn't that the Host is a modern army.
If it is an even fight, one of you is doing it wrong.
Also, as Simon_Jester said, Angels are physically superior to our infantry. We can't fight in their terms, so we have to make them fight in ours.
Or you're operating on incomplete information or compelled by strategic necessity. And I'd say that oldtimers might be best off modelling the angel side in wargames. Run a bunch between the oldtimers to get them familiar with their forces (and weed out the ones who can't adapt) and then put them in a series against moderners running modern forces to represent a sliding scale of enemy experience and knowledge of human capabilities. It may be too late now, but the oldtimers provide a pretty good pool of candidates for wargame opponents for the same reason they don't provide one of modern generals.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Or simply ask Abigor what he knows about Angelic warfare.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Speaking of our favorite Baldrick, where is he anyway?
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Yeah... was Abigor around for the last war?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Yeah... was Abigor around for the last war?
I'm pretty sure he would have been, considering how difficult it would be to get into the Hell hierarchy (let alone become Satan's favored general).
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

GrayAnderson wrote:-snip-
The causes of the Civil War and validity of the secession have been discussed in full in the History Forum. In short the 'States Rights' claim is utterly bullshit as the South did more to strip rights from southerners than the Union ever did.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The Failsprey thing is old. Remember he had me in Armageddon saying:

"I love this plane, Oh I love it."

But WEEE, FIRST PILOT IN ON A MISSION INTO HEAVEN!

Wong was just an accidental flythrough. I was the first deliberate attack!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Chad
Redshirt

Post by Chad »

General Schatten wrote:
The causes of the Civil War and validity of the secession have been discussed in full in the History Forum. In short the 'States Rights' claim is utterly bullshit as the South did more to strip rights from southerners than the Union ever did.

Also, the 'States Rights' claim is bullshit as even before the civil war started the south only supported States Rights as long as it protected Slavery. The South had absolutely no problem shoving the fugitive slave act down the northerners throats when they had the ability to do so. Basically forcing the North to enforce a south states laws on a different state.
PaperJack
Youngling

Post by PaperJack »

Night_stalker wrote:Speaking of our favorite Baldrick, where is he anyway?
I think he's enjoying a fine wine in his new rebuilt castle and when he receives the news of the assault to Paradise he laughs and says "Oh, those humans!"
"I'm not a friggin' mercenary; I'm a capitalist adventurer!"
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

General Schahttp://bbs.stardestroyer.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=3307685tten wrote:
I'll be happy to continue the discussion over there; it only came up because it came up, so to speak, and I don't want to clutter the thread here with it. I would ask if you could link me to a good thread or two over there where said debate took place so that I could review it (I've never actually been into that forum).
You know, for some reason you just gave me the thought of Abigor appearing on Blackadder...or a certain character making a cameo in the series.

...and of course, that in turn led me to thinking of some daemonic version of a Minstrel show being put on for the amusement of humans. Completely politically incorrect, of course, but also a realistic thing to see some humans (esp. second lifers) want to watch: Demons looking like fools on stage for their amusement. I can also see some demons going in for the gig, if for no other reason than if they're acting like fools then they're clearly less of a threat. We've had shows making fun of the Nazis since the 30s (look at Hogan's Heroes); I suspect the demons are going to be fair game at some point.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

He was last seen aiding the relief efforts on Haiti and personally searching for survivors.
xthetenth wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Yeah... was Abigor around for the last war?
I'm pretty sure he would have been, considering how difficult it would be to get into the Hell hierarchy (let alone become Satan's favored general).
Yeah, I bet he was the one that won Satan the war.
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

By the way Stuart, since it is something we're talking about, what is the "Forest of Suicides" like in Salvation War? Are people just hung from normal trees and attacked by harpies, or are they cast into some kind of tree that devours the poor person inside of it at the same rate that they regenerate?

No importance at to the current story, but would be an interesting bit of trivia...
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

There are 84 chaps right? So how long should the invasion last?
Barrigana
Redshirt

Post by Barrigana »

PaperJack wrote:
I think he's enjoying a fine wine in his new rebuilt castle and when he receives the news of the assault to Paradise he laughs and says "Oh, those humans!"
Actually this is an interesting point. How does the "demon on the street" feel about the invasion of Heaven, or more precisely, how are they adapting to the new reality of being under human control? Are the demons rooting for the humans to kick their old enemy or are they hopping we get our asses kicked after what we did to them?

I can't imagine they feel anything less than disgust and contempt at their present situation. Regardless of how Satan treated them the fact remains that we used to be, at best, cattle for them. Must be hard adapting to the new reality of having to do as they are told or else after millenniums being the top dog. I can only imagine they'd be insanely racist (speciesist?).

And no, I don't think such an entrenched sense of superiority would vanish just cause we whipped the floor with them. The Germans had no problem finding excuses for Jesse Owens' victories in the '36 Olympics.
Nick79
Redshirt

Post by Nick79 »

While it's true that the demons saw us as nothing but food and entertainment previously, I think the scene at the end of Armageddon where that tank crew occupied a demonic village summarizes how demon psychology handles this. No matter how you LOOK, you mop the floor with someone's leader, you have just replaced that leader in his servants minds. If they should feel they are more suited to lead and can take you, they might try, but, the war is fresh to them, so they wouldn't try. For the demons that have been around long enough to understand political gaming, there will no doubt be plenty of that as well, they'll just be trying to prove themselves useful to a different bunch.

I don't know if Stuart intended this, but demon psychology, as described, seems to follow logical trident. Those weaker, you rule over(1), those stronger, you obey(2), and to get power, you prove your strength and usefulness(3).
One and two are pretty obvious, and three becomes clear as a general drive that fuels both the reckless glory seeking of the typical demonic soldier on the battlefield, or the political scheming among the greater demons.

To the typical demon, I don't think this is actually that much of a psychological barrier, just "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." In fact, quality of life under humans is likely to be much better than they are used to in a period of time that creatures with their near immortality see as happening in a flash.

Now, the angels... they are going to have a ROUGH time.
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Re: Demon Uprising.

Well, the Minor and Lesser Demons are quickly going to adapt. It was their lot in life previously to be serfs and servants to the more powerful types, so if the humans treat them nicely, coupled with the obvious symbols of human superiority, then they're not going to raise too much of a fuss, not unless their former bosses could rouse some of the more militant to their "days of glory" (and even then I don't expect the farmers and former serfs to rise up; they're just too used to their quiet lives).

More powerful baldricks, especially the minor dukes and lords, are going to be troublesome. They might be cowed for now, but they're not used to being beaten by cattle. Sooner or later they'll rebel at the "inversion of the natural order", announce that they're taking command, and create a small rebellion aiming to return Hell to its rightful demon masters. At which point, the First Life armies are going to say "screw this", walk over to the Second Life nations, teach them the art of insurgency and counter-insurgency, and walk away after delivering a last warning to the demon rebels. At which point the Second Life CI forces will jump at the chance to take every last inch of payback out of the demons' hides personally. The recently dead would find it repugnant, but unless the new generation of demons is raised to be civilized, they're going to have to deal with demons trying to return to the old way of life.

The smart demons would come around and realize they have more to benefit by working with the humans than against them, and integrate themselves into the system. They'll have their tempers and issues, but overall as long as they do a great job and don't make too much of a fuss, we'll look the other way. Especially considering that the top echelons of the aristocracy (namely Satan and the Grand Dukes) have been effectively massacred, with very few survivors like Abigor and Dagon left. Belial is due to face war crimes unless he can get out of Heaven fast (not likely) and the majority of the Grand Dukes were pulverized when Satan's palace was smashed.

The Angels on the other hand... yeah. Day of reckoning and all. Especially that things like Uriel and the sandstorms haven't exactly endeared the First Life Humans to them. The major mitigating factors of wrath are:
  • How badly the Angels get nuked in the upcoming battle. Coming face to face with the apocalyptic powers of the humans would seriously fuck up their mentality. Hell, the average Japanese, upon seeing Hiroshima and Nagasaki, were pretty much in "oh shit we're totally screwed" territory, even though it took the Emperor's broadcast for them to accept that they've been beaten. Which brings us to:
  • Yahweh's cult of personality, and how much it gets tarnished by His inability to fight back the HEA, or how it gets affected if we drag His shattered carcass through the streets. Paul Bremer broadcast the death of Saddam's sons on live TV, and wound up angering people worldwide at his crude handling of the issue (even though admittedly, Uday and Qusay arguably deserved it). If the Angels can be brought out of their superior mentality by Yahweh's destruction, well and good. But I doubt it.
  • How well Michael pulls off his epic gambit. His lies, deceits, plotting, etc... were all done just to redirect the humans' fury squarely at Yahweh. If he manages to pull it off, then the Angelic host survives, minus the destruction of its armed forces and loyalist command structure. If not... well, it'll get ugly. Really ****ing ugly.
Come to think of it, the Angels are going to keep their superior mentality, because of how Yahweh indoctrinated them ("you're my chosen, I'm omnipotent and omniscient, ergo you are perfect") and how their Second Life humans were by choice (in their First Lives) and then by fiat (their Second Lives) obedient little servants. Unlike the undead humans in Hell, I'm not sure if they'll be jumping at the chance to get their pound of flesh should an angelic insurrection occur.

Eh, we could always bring in mercenaries from Hell - literally.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

BTW, I doubt the invasion will drag out for long. Nukes, remember?

Just as long as we d a nice little decapitation strike to ensure Yahweh or his lickboots doesn't do Heaven's version of the National Redoubt.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Saint_007 wrote:Re: Demon Uprising.

Well, the Minor and Lesser Demons are quickly going to adapt. It was their lot in life previously to be serfs and servants to the more powerful types, so if the humans treat them nicely, coupled with the obvious symbols of human superiority, then they're not going to raise too much of a fuss, not unless their former bosses could rouse some of the more militant to their "days of glory" (and even then I don't expect the farmers and former serfs to rise up; they're just too used to their quiet lives).

More powerful baldricks, especially the minor dukes and lords, are going to be troublesome. They might be cowed for now, but they're not used to being beaten by cattle. Sooner or later they'll rebel at the "inversion of the natural order", announce that they're taking command, and create a small rebellion aiming to return Hell to its rightful demon masters. At which point, the First Life armies are going to say "screw this", walk over to the Second Life nations, teach them the art of insurgency and counter-insurgency, and walk away after delivering a last warning to the demon rebels. At which point the Second Life CI forces will jump at the chance to take every last inch of payback out of the demons' hides personally. The recently dead would find it repugnant, but unless the new generation of demons is raised to be civilized, they're going to have to deal with demons trying to return to the old way of life.
How do you KEEP COMING UP with bad ideas? You think any lord of hell is going to get really, REALLY stupid? Anyone who's ANYONE in hell's power structure had a front-row seat as the most powerful being in their dimensional realm got TORN APART with a pair of anti-ship missiles. And you wanna know what? We can do that to ANY of them any time we want. And they know that too. They'll be too busy collecting taxes and watching demonic football on ESPN666 to re-live their glory days.
-Snipped Gibberish about Heaven-
Yaweh doesn't have a cult of personality. Nobody likes him, nobody enjoys his company, the angels ALL fear him to the point where they are building a bunker INSIDE HIS THRONE ROOM. The HEA, the police arrests, and all of that have been wearing on the mindset of heaven, and all the angels there know something is definitely wrong with the natural order.

The Angels will NOT keep their superiority. Michael, the most powerful and senior of ALL angels, is scared shitless of humanity. As soon as an F-22 does Mach 3 over the celestial city at rooftop level, 4000 years of assured superiority will vanish. We can level that city with the ENGINES of our fighting machines, and they know it. The X-factor is going to be how long its going to take for sanity to break out in heaven.
BTW, I doubt the invasion will drag out for long. Nukes, remember?

Just as long as we d a nice little decapitation strike to ensure Yahweh or his lickboots doesn't do Heaven's version of the National Redoubt.
A nuclear decapitation strike at this stage is out of the question. We're still trying to LIBERATE a billion deceived Christians and however many angels are in Heaven. DIMO(N) just found out that Yaweh is throwing his own people into a concentration-camp run by the most cruel and inventive demon to ever escape Hell. We still hate angels, but now we finally have reason to pity them, because they've got their own fascist megalomaniac for a dear leader.

Unless Yaweh starts demonstrating some serious tactical or strategic military ability that will jeopardize lives, we're going to try to do this the old-fashioned way, and that means crashing all twelve gates.

Also, I doubt Yaweh has ever conceived he could NEED a redoubt. He's not Michael, he's Grand Moff Tarkin-
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I wouldn't bet on the total trashing of Heaven to even be vaguely necessary, given the political climate of fear (not to mention the real estate grab). How likely is the heavenly army to even mobilize? Their primary General is a turncoat, for crying out loud.

I presume there will be two sides to the invasion of heaven; the more brutal being the battle against the loyalist angelic forces, presumably via Micheal's direction, to take place far from the walls of the city. Michael's purposely kept Jesus and the loyalists (and Yahweh) in the dark about what humans can do, so he can march the loyalists straight into human gunsights.

After that massacre, I expect the finale to be composed mainly of a blanket surrender by most of the city, followed by a portal attack to secure the (presumably fortified and stuffed with loyalists) palace, because let's face it, taking an indignant Yahweh prisoner and putting him on trial in the third book would be vastly more impressive than simply blowing him away like we did Satan. Satan's command structure is, face it, more impressed by the violent act of deposing him. Yahweh, however, rules by deception - like a cult leader - rather than like a warlord. Showing Yahweh for what he is and giving him a fair and just trial shows another side of human reason, beyond our capacity for weapons creation. It also serves to win loyalty from the people who workship him blindly; you demonstrate the being to be a monster, not a beloved deity, rather than just making him a martyr and yourselves bloodthirsty conquerors.

Besides, even if the plan was to kill Yahweh on sight, I doubt we need anywhere near the firepower of an all-out indescriminate carpet bombing of the entire city to do it, as most of the population have been emotionally prepped - between domestic terrorism and ruthless police campaigns - for a return to peace and stability and may well just as soon turn over Yahweh and surrender as see their homes and children wiped out. If Michael doesn't have his men raising white flags on every tower in the city before the humans have chambered a single round, I'll wonder what the hell his master plan was all about, since any assault on the city wherein he doesn't have a chance to designate targets runs the risk of his club - and thus part of his alibi - getting flattened.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Capturing Yahweh will have an interesting effect on the Angels.
Some will think 'he's powerless against them. Humans are truly powerful'
Others will think 'humans couldn't kill him. Are they truly as powerful as we think they are?'
And others will think 'I didn't vote for him anyways'