What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Spekio wrote:Vilains By Necessity, by Eve Foward.

She tries to deconstruct typical fantasy novels, but it's... not that good, really. Entertaining, tought.
Have you tried Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey? It's almost written as a response to Tolkein, with Sartoris (Morgoth) as the 'hero' and the Sauron/Witch King as the most sympathetic character. The book's Not-Galdalf really comes across as a sanctimonious asshole.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Broomstick wrote:
Next on deck: Anonymous Rex by Eric Garcia.
That's good fun. I haven't read the rest of the series, but that at least was interesting.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I saw the made-for-TV movie, which was sort of interesting, but I'm expecting the book to be better.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
stiffanbond
Redshirt

Post by stiffanbond »

I am halfway through "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink, and I just finished reading "Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Broomstick wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Just finished the first Dresden Book Storm Front not entirely sure what I think of it. It was a pretty light read and interesting enough but it didn't exactly pull me in the way other books have.
Remember that first and foremost Dresden is supposed to be entertainment that is, it is supposed to be light reading.
I was complaining about the lightness exactly, lot of books I read are nothing but light fun but that doesn't mean there are uncompelling.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Iosef Cross wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Holy shit, it's Stravo!

I'm working my way through Rise and Fall by Gibbon. It's an abridged version, so I hope to finish it sometime this year, and not sometime this decade.
I have read half of that book (the same version). It becomes unbearable to read about details of the personal lives of the emperors and kings and the absence of treatment into topics like the changes in culture with the times, the demographic tendencies of the time and other more relevant subjects.
Wait...you complain about something missing in an abridged version? :lol:

Get the complete version, then read it and treat it as the classic and one of the most important books in history.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Reading Walking with Spring, which is a memoir of the first guy to thru-hike the AT(specifically, his experience on the trail).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Spekio wrote:Vilains By Necessity, by Eve Foward.

She tries to deconstruct typical fantasy novels, but it's... not that good, really. Entertaining, tought.
Have you tried Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey? It's almost written as a response to Tolkein, with Sartoris (Morgoth) as the 'hero' and the Sauron/Witch King as the most sympathetic character. The book's Not-Galdalf really comes across as a sanctimonious asshole.
It's not bad, but her efforts to really make it a total reversal-response to Tolkien comes across as forced at times. The first book is much better than the second one in the duology.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

weemadando wrote:Also have finished Eye of the Storm by Higgins which was just silly fun.
weemadando wrote:I'm done a bit more Higgins (Valhalla Exchange).
are you on some kind of Higgins bender, Anders? mind you I own enough of them I can't talk....

Neutron Star by Larry Niven
"Bill, The Galactic Hero ......" got hardbacks of "on The Planet of Robot Slaves" and "The Final Incoherent Adventure"
"Flux" by Stephen Baxter
and "eXXXpresso" by Dave Warner << the non-sci-fi of the lot it's a hilarious romp around Western Australian by an ex-criminal chasing a coffee machine whilst being chased by soon-to-be-ex-criminals, I recommend it to all Australians (I just bought a copy to replace the one I haven't yet returned to the school where I work library (it's ok, I know the librarian REALLY well)
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm rereading Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I just finished reading Hans Ulrich Rudel's Stuka Pilot. While I don't agree with his views towards Hitler or his ignoring events that happened outside his AO, I understand them. His carefully worded opinions of the conduct of the war on the Russian front lead me to believe he was thoroughly disillusioned at the conduct of the war at a tactical and strategic level, but he of course does not come right out and say it. His descriptions of the efforts he undertook to fly, in combat, while critically injured, are a better demonstration of Nietzche's Triumph of The Will philosophy than anything else I've read, including Nietzche's own words. His opinion of the Soviets, our aiding them, and the consequences were IMO spot on target. Not bad for a book written in 1958.

All that aside, his war record is just astounding.
Wiki, I didn't tout up everything in the book wrote:According to official Luftwaffe figures, Rudel flew some 2,530 combat missions (a world record),[Notes 2] during which he destroyed almost 2,000 ground targets (among them 519 tanks, 70 assault craft/landing boats, 150 self-propelled guns, 4 armored trains, and 800 other vehicles) as well as 9 planes (2 Il-2's and 7 fighters). He was also responsible for the sinking of the Soviet battleship Marat, two cruisers and a destroyer. He was never shot down by another pilot, only by anti-aircraft artillery. He was shot down or forced to land 32 times, several times behind enemy lines.
Wow. Imagine this man behind the stick of an A-10.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I gave up on John Ringo's Ghost after the first "book" of the book. It's not that it was especially obscene or unpleasant. It's just that it was bad, stupid and poorly written.

I read a pretty good one-shot "Pride and Joy" by Garth Ennis. Worth a look.

And I got a few books for my birthday including "Shake Hands With The Devil" by Romeo Dallaire and "Carpet People" by Pratchett.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Romeo Dallaire's book is good. Let me know what you think after you read it.

I'm still going through the Posleen books, but slower now. The first couple were alright, and it just starts sucking more and more (and even more as soon as you start into the tainted ones aka Tom Kratman's).
XXXI
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

weemadando wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I gave up on John Ringo's Ghost after the first "book" of the book. It's not that it was especially obscene or unpleasant. It's just that it was bad, stupid and poorly written.
The rest get worse. How far did you make it into the book?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I forced myself to at least finish the Syria Girls part. The end of that convinced me that it was little more than someone's bad empowerment fantasy fic that I would have expected to read on a bad sex fic newsgroup in 1999.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

weemadando wrote:I forced myself to at least finish the Syria Girls part. The end of that convinced me that it was little more than someone's bad empowerment fantasy fic that I would have expected to read on a bad sex fic newsgroup in 1999.
It gets kinkier. Ringo is one kinky dude.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Recently finished a reading of Tennyson's Idylls Of The King and am now working through the Selected Poems in the last section of the Signet edition.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Just finished reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Quite good.

Now reading Anansi Boys.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm starting on Charles Stross' "The Family Trade". It seems pretty interesting at the moment and I'm actually enjoying the mildly Zelazny-esque tone.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm currently reading The Devil you Know by Mike Carey. It's a reasonably competent entry into the "John Constantine with the serial numbers filed off" genre of urban fantasy inhabited by Harry Dresden et al. The most significant USP so far being that the fantastic element, that the dead walk the earth (The main character is an exorcist, not a wizard this time), is out in the open, so it's common knowledge that ghosts, zombies, demons and the like are there, and contact with them is reasonably common.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Evoluton by Edward J. Larson (Hungarian version), among the other books I read and haven't finished yet.

It's a very interesting book that I recommend to anyone interested in the whole evolution/creationism thing. For one thing, creationist are wrong when they try to argue to teach an alternative to evolution: an alternative to evolution would be lamarckism (or one of the many other theories based around it). The whole theory's history and the attitudes towards is acceptance is a little more complicated than it seems.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Currently reading a bunch of papers on reciprocating compressors. More interesting than I thought it would be.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've just started War at the Wall Street Journal, about the takeover by Rupert Murdoch.

I just finished two non-fiction books first, one good and the other fairly mediocre. The first was Mark Kleiman's When Brute Force Fails, about possible reforms to get less crime with less punishment. Fascinating stuff, and in a short book.

The second, "meh" book was Power Trip by Amanda Little, about energy in American, including the history of it and the rise of renewables. The history part (basically, the first half of the book) was interesting, but a mile wide and an inch deep - like a series of long news articles on it. The last third or so of the book, though, read like an extra-long press release for various renewable energy developments, as well as the various "green" and environmental groups out there. Lots of optimism and positive quotes from renewable people, precious little skepticism.

I'm wondering if I should pick a new fiction book, or do a re-read of one of the series I own.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Post by Iosef Cross »

Thanas wrote:
Iosef Cross wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Holy shit, it's Stravo!

I'm working my way through Rise and Fall by Gibbon. It's an abridged version, so I hope to finish it sometime this year, and not sometime this decade.
I have read half of that book (the same version). It becomes unbearable to read about details of the personal lives of the emperors and kings and the absence of treatment into topics like the changes in culture with the times, the demographic tendencies of the time and other more relevant subjects.
Wait...you complain about something missing in an abridged version? :lol:

Get the complete version, then read it and treat it as the classic and one of the most important books in history.
Well, I have tried it when I was 15. Maybe now I can work my way thought.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gibbon really isn't that hard to read. The biggest challenge for me was filtering all the nonsense he talks about due to his strong personal biases. My version isn't abridged by it's.. 8-9 volumes so it's nto split the 'original' way.

I just re-read Danger Girl. Possibly the best comicbook of the 90s?