Terran Federation vs. Covenant

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Re: Terran Federation vs. Covenant

Post by DudeGuyMan »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:Is it ever explained why they simply didn't nuke Klendathu from orbit with their nova bombs?
Yeah, relatively extensively too. They didn't have nova bombs yet, and nuking the surface was unlikely to kill the queens and brains, which were deep underground. (While presumably making it a lot harder for anyone to go in and get them.) Also, I believe there were prisoners they hoped to rescue.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, but getting back on topic I would have to say that on land my money is on the Terran Federation. Space, though I can't say due to the real lack of knowledge of how the TF's space weaponry works.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

I guess that its pretty much decided. Starship Troopers was written primarily for the infantry stuff (although a Jiralhanae-Mgalekgolo hybrid would fit the MI more than any SPARTAN in Mjolnir suits), and with the sparse snippets of information provided here, show not much was given to the Navy. The Halo series on the other hand have a whole and fascinating universe (one I admit is the main selling point of the series for me since I haven't played any game past the second one) where the 'science' of the universe is explained.

It could be, with the numerous references to Heinlein in the UNSC, such as the powered armor and orbital insertion via pods, it can be safe to say that the T.F. could be a more...militaristic version of the UNSC. Although from what I gathered form numerous articles in the Halo wiki, the UNSC ends up being the de-facto Earth government, so it may not be far from it.

If space combat is to be measured purely in the Halo universe, we can expect brilliant commanders who make use of the strengths of their ships compared to the nearly dogmatic method of fighting style of the Covenant, who seem to rely too much on their reverse engineered Forerunner ships, although that isn't exactly true, but I guess humans could put up a good fight against Sangheilli, and probably more against Jiralhanae, since the Battle of the Ark's naval campaign had the Covenant Separatist fleet outnumbered three to one, and the UNSC vessels survived, possibly showing that Sangheilli control of the skies was enough that the human frigates could operate over the Ark with basically some impunity.

Ground wise, it'll be an interesting fighg. Brutes and Elites with Jump/Jet packs, fuel-rod guns from Grunts and Hunters, merciless sniper fire from Jackals. Combined arms in the form of Ghost scouts, Banshee aircraft, Wraith tanks, Phantom/Spirit dropships, and the ever-increasing militarization and fielding of Scarab ultra-heavy assault platforms could help give the Covenant an advantage in land combat. And if an MI locked horns with a Sangheilli, well, he'd be a damned fool for not flaming him, and his mistake can come in the form of decapitation via a quick and nimble warrior using a plasma sword. In open fields, it's a toss up, in close quarters, the MI better be wary of Jiralhanae packs and Sanghelli warriors. But that's my point of view.

Long winded, yes, but I thought I'd start my posting here trying to not look like a fool.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Eh, on the ground the Covenant aren't anything spectacular. An MI trooper carries tactical nuclear weapons on a semi-regular basis, and although resiliant to conventional assault rifles and the like, Brutes/Elites will bite the dust if they take sustained fire from anything heavy. The MI troopers don't carry anything as weak as an assault rifle, so they can be expected to shred anything that gets into their line of sight. Their main drawback is lack of survivability and small numbers.

But really, it doesn't matter, because this war will be decided purely in space. Both sides have shown a capability and willingness to obliterate planets rather than waste resources trying to secure them, so whichever side wins the space battle will win the war.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
jamsy42
Redshirt

Post by jamsy42 »

Slightly off-topic but this match-up seems remarkably similar to the actual war between the USNC and the Covenant. I suppose this is because the heavy influence Heinlein put upon the Halo universe.

Back on topic, yes the war would be decided in space but it's difficult to determine the firepower of the Federation navy as little info is given but we can assume they have a significant number of nukes.
Kif I have made it with a woman, inform the men
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Jusu wrote:I guess that its pretty much decided. Starship Troopers was written primarily for the infantry stuff (although a Jiralhanae-Mgalekgolo hybrid would fit the MI more than any SPARTAN in Mjolnir suits), and with the sparse snippets of information provided here, show not much was given to the Navy. The Halo series on the other hand have a whole and fascinating universe (one I admit is the main selling point of the series for me since I haven't played any game past the second one) where the 'science' of the universe is explained.
WTF is a Jiralhanae-Mgalekgolo ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

Sarevok wrote:
Jusu wrote:I guess that its pretty much decided. Starship Troopers was written primarily for the infantry stuff (although a Jiralhanae-Mgalekgolo hybrid would fit the MI more than any SPARTAN in Mjolnir suits), and with the sparse snippets of information provided here, show not much was given to the Navy. The Halo series on the other hand have a whole and fascinating universe (one I admit is the main selling point of the series for me since I haven't played any game past the second one) where the 'science' of the universe is explained.
WTF is a Jiralhanae-Mgalekgolo ?
Eh, visual imagery I got while remembering how the MI suit was described as, as well as its functions. More simple to say Brute-Hunter, but I've started calling the covie aliens by the covie names rather than the human designations.

@ jamsy:

Yeah, I did see that. Heck, Heinlein made mention of a Nova Bomb. There is the Nova bomb that destroyed the Covie Seperatist staging area/HQ/significant colony Joyous Exhaultation.

Although I guess it's more closely associated with Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb's famous last words. The whole 'nice day in Hell' bit.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

What ? How does a Hunter pronounce "Mgalekgolo" ? It does not even having a fucking mouth. How can it be a genuine Covenant name ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Maybe it doesn't communicate through normal speech. Maybe it's what the other alien races call it. Anyway, I thought it was Lekgolo.
jamsy42
Redshirt

Post by jamsy42 »

Sarevok wrote:What ? How does a Hunter pronounce "Mgalekgolo" ? It does not even having a fucking mouth. How can it be a genuine Covenant name ?
It was probably the name given to it by the Prophets or the Elites.
Kif I have made it with a woman, inform the men
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Sarevok wrote:What ? How does a Hunter pronounce "Mgalekgolo" ? It does not even having a fucking mouth. How can it be a genuine Covenant name ?
It's the Elite name for them, and in any event, they can speak, although it's described as being "a subsonic rumble", "more felt than heard".
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Setzer wrote:Maybe it doesn't communicate through normal speech. Maybe it's what the other alien races call it. Anyway, I thought it was Lekgolo.
It is. I have no idea how he got 'Mgalekgolo'. Mega-Lekgolo, perhaps? A hunter the size of Godzilla?

Get that in the games right damned now.

MEGA LEKGOLO VS GIANT SPARTAN
JADAFETWA
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

Kuja wrote:
Setzer wrote:Maybe it doesn't communicate through normal speech. Maybe it's what the other alien races call it. Anyway, I thought it was Lekgolo.
It is. I have no idea how he got 'Mgalekgolo'. Mega-Lekgolo, perhaps? A hunter the size of Godzilla?

Get that in the games right damned now.

MEGA LEKGOLO VS GIANT SPARTAN
From my understanding, it came from the Beastiarum that was bundled with the collectors and legendary edition versions of Halo 3. The Mgalekgolo, from the wiki, refers to the colony being, while Lekgolo to the individual worms.

So unless the Halo Wiki is an untrusted source, it's where I got that. This whole misunderstanding is my fault, I admit that.