Mein SIG550 aka Das UEBERSturmgewehr (lots of pics)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Mein SIG550 aka Das UEBERSturmgewehr (lots of pics)

Post by [R_H] »

Rifle with buttstock folded

Buttstock extended.

Aww, it can stand. Fuckin' bipod. Rifles lined up like this give the inspectors a hard-on.

Da shooty end.

Selector (burst and FA blocked off by that plate), take-down pin next to the white dot, bolt-hold open(?) under sling.

Upper und lower separating. They're held together by two push-pins. Notice anything missing by now?

Inside the upper receiver.

Upper und lower receivers vollständig getrennt!

Ein 20-round Magazin inserted into ze magwell of ze lower receiver.

ROCK UND LOCK!

Take off deine Kleidung, Fraulein!

Handguards (no heatshields, way to go! :banghead: ), gas system above, barrel below.

Where the bipod and the lower half of the handguard mate up. :luv:

Where the piston attaches to the bolt carrier.

Gas plug (two settings, normal (vertical) and adverse), hooded front sight, bayonet lug

Removing the gas system, twist and pull.

In all its pistony glory. RAMROD!

Gas system sorta disassembled.

Ze secret compartment. Contains a mag loading aid, and a Wilhelm Tell signaler, in case of NAZZIE or COMMIE invasion.

Upskirt shot. :twisted: Magwell.

Magazine, with the above mentioned loading aid clipped onto it.

Buttstock folded, its retained by a nipple on the handguard.

More pictures of the magazine.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Re: Mein SIG550 aka Das UEBERSturmgewehr (lots of pics)

Post by Raesene »

Have you joined the Swiss army and now have to keep the rifle in your cupboard ? :-)
Unfortunately a few pics are blurry.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Raesene wrote:Have you joined the Swiss army and now have to keep the rifle in your cupboard ? :-)
Unfortunately a few pics are blurry.
No, I'm doing the pre-basic shooting course. It's in my closet actually, sorry about the blurry ones, I don't think the ones of the inside can be improved much (by me).
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Was it that plate thing that keeps it on the single shot mode? Did you remove that? .
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Setzer wrote:Was it that plate thing that keeps it on the single shot mode? Did you remove that? .

Nope, that thing is soldered/welded on to the receiver, if I'd remove it, I'd be in a world of hurt. The bolt carrier is missing, we are not allowed to take it home with us.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

That is an awesome rifle. I'll have to make my way to the range this weekend.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Interestingly enough, I saw a militia-man this morning with the BC missing as well.
TheMuffinKing wrote:That is an awesome rifle. I'll have to make my way to the range this weekend.
Sadly it's not mine though. :( Hopefully you had a nice range-trip.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

[R_H] wrote:Interestingly enough, I saw a militia-man this morning with the BC missing as well.
TheMuffinKing wrote:That is an awesome rifle. I'll have to make my way to the range this weekend.
Sadly it's not mine though. :( Hopefully you had a nice range-trip.
Thanks, the gun range I want to go to has some civilianized P-90's and a Baretta Storm I've been considering buying.
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

Such a beautiful rifle. Gonna add all sorts of those ultra-super cool aiming accessories to it? Do you have any pictures of the bayonet?

I would've liked to get one but SIG-550 variants are banned where I live by name. I guess I'll settle for an AR-15 or something of the sort instead.
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Davey wrote:Such a beautiful rifle. Gonna add all sorts of those ultra-super cool aiming accessories to it? Do you have any pictures of the bayonet?

I would've liked to get one but SIG-550 variants are banned where I live by name. I guess I'll settle for an AR-15 or something of the sort instead.
Bayonet was not issued with the rifle. We only got it, a magazine and a cleaning kit.

Accessories - no, as far as I know only Brugger&Thomet make stuff for the 550, and it's incredibly expensive. If I owned my own, I'd buy an optic rail and get rid of the bipod. 550 banned in the US? I thought just the importation was.
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

[R_H] wrote:Bayonet was not issued with the rifle. We only got it, a magazine and a cleaning kit. Accessories - no, as far as I know only Brugger&Thomet make stuff for the 550, and it's incredibly expensive. If I owned my own, I'd buy an optic rail and get rid of the bipod. 550 banned in the US? I thought just the importation was.
Aw, that's no fun if there are no accessories!

I'm in Canada, so laws around import and export as well as what we get to acquire and own are slightly different, but I really don't like discussing all of those because the laws are a hodgepodge of total wacko weirdery. But then again that's just how gun laws are it seems.

At the end of your service, are you allowed to buy the rifle to keep or does it need to be returned to the army?
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Davey wrote: Aw, that's no fun if there are no accessories!

I'm in Canada, so laws around import and export as well as what we get to acquire and own are slightly different, but I really don't like discussing all of those because the laws are a hodgepodge of total wacko weirdery. But then again that's just how gun laws are it seems.

At the end of your service, are you allowed to buy the rifle to keep or does it need to be returned to the army?
Ammo > accessories, pile it high and stack it deep.

I thought '550 type rifles were available in Canada, because they're called something else?

Until now, there's been the option to buy the rifle or pistol (depending on what function/rank you have) after service. It's very cheap, something like 100CHF for a rifle. I'm not quite sure, but I think the firecontrol parts get swapped out so that FA/burst cannot be used.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Until now? Do mean the option is gone?

P.S. My latest purchase... :)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

[R_H] wrote:
Ammo > accessories, pile it high and stack it deep.

I thought '550 type rifles were available in Canada, because they're called something else?

Until now, there's been the option to buy the rifle or pistol (depending on what function/rank you have) after service. It's very cheap, something like 100CHF for a rifle. I'm not quite sure, but I think the firecontrol parts get swapped out so that FA/burst cannot be used.
Nope, Former Prohibited Weapons Order No. 13 (in effect since January 1, 1995) bans a number of rifles (including the FN-FAL :wtf: ) but the relevant bit is:
The firearms of the designs commonly known as the SG-550 rifle and SG-551 carbine, and any variants or modified versions of them.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
His Divine Shadow

The only reason you got to keep the AR-15 was thanks to Diemaco saying they would up and leave the country if the govt tried to ban those too. From what I've heard anyway.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, they just made them restricted (different license).
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
His Divine Shadow

His Divine Shadow wrote:Until now? Do mean the option is gone?
I asked another swiss guy about this and he said the difference now is you need to get a purchase permit first. Which I gathered isn't difficult at all, esp. for the service rifle angle.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

And now for the really important question: is her name by any chance Charlene? Because that disassembly wank sure reminds me of something else... In any case, please remind me of not ever going to any lavatories with you in the middle of the night. :mrgreen:
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:Until now? Do mean the option is gone?
I asked another swiss guy about this and he said the difference now is you need to get a purchase permit first. Which I gathered isn't difficult at all, esp. for the service rifle angle.
Yeah, that makes sense considering we have Schengen and all. Just need to fill out forms, not be of certain nationalities and not be too much of a criminal.

Marcus Aurelius wrote:And now for the really important question: is her name by any chance Charlene? Because that disassembly wank sure reminds me of something else... In any case, please remind me of not ever going to any lavatories with you in the middle of the night. :mrgreen:
Obvious reference was not as obvious as you thought it was, "Charlene"?

Don't worry, I think I can deal with not having any midnight washroom visits with you or any other men. :angelic:
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

[R_H] wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:And now for the really important question: is her name by any chance Charlene? Because that disassembly wank sure reminds me of something else... In any case, please remind me of not ever going to any lavatories with you in the middle of the night. :mrgreen:
Obvious reference was not as obvious as you thought it was, "Charlene"?

Don't worry, I think I can deal with not having any midnight washroom visits with you or any other men. :angelic:
It's not an obvious reference, since I try to avoid them, but it should not be too difficult, either. Mind you, I tried to find an explanatory video clip, but apparently that particular part is not available on-line. Let's say that it's from a movie about military ball ammunition. :P
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: It's not an obvious reference, since I try to avoid them, but it should not be too difficult, either. Mind you, I tried to find an explanatory video clip, but apparently that particular part is not available on-line. Let's say that it's from a movie about military ball ammunition. :P
Ah, my not having seen the movie explains why I didn't understand.

The design of the rifle has me scratching my head. Charging handle on the right instead of the left, even though most people are right handed, no heatshield in the handguards (after enough FA mag dumps, they will melt), the ultra short sling, not chromelining the barrel, always wanting us to clean the damn things and so forth.

Finally, not bothering to change any of the above.
His Divine Shadow

Well the SIG 55x series is modeled closely on the AK-47 action so that explains some of the similarities such as charging handle location. Not chroming the barrel leads to shorter life span and it dirties easier during full auto fire, but my impression of the swiss army is that there is more focus on accuracy and long range markmanship. In that case it might make some sense as an unchromed barrel is more accurate.

The finnish RK-76/95 rifle also has unchromed barrel and is like the SIG modeled on the AK action and it produces <1.5MOA groups, I've seen a civilian version of this rifle shoot 1.2MOA groups with 7.62x39 ammo and a barrel with over 10,000 rounds through it. So maybe the chroming, not big enough of a deal to change manufacturing processes.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Well the SIG 55x series is modeled closely on the AK-47 action so that explains some of the similarities such as charging handle location. Not chroming the barrel leads to shorter life span and it dirties easier during full auto fire, but my impression of the swiss army is that there is more focus on accuracy and long range markmanship. In that case it might make some sense as an unchromed barrel is more accurate.
But still, that they couldn't bother changing it? Plus, if you've got an optic, you can't (assuming your weakhand is your right hand) use it to charge. I thought the '550 had a carbonnitrided barrel (or something like that) that provided protection against rust, or maybe it's the '556. Constantly making us clean the barrel (max of 20 times after shooting) probably doesn't do wonders for the barrel life.
His Divine Shadow wrote:The finnish RK-76/95 rifle also has unchromed barrel and is like the SIG modeled on the AK action and it produces <1.5MOA groups, I've seen a civilian version of this rifle shoot 1.2MOA groups with 7.62x39 ammo and a barrel with over 10,000 rounds through it. So maybe the chroming, not big enough of a deal to change manufacturing processes.
'550s have to shoot a 3-shot 10cm group (at 300m) to be able to leave the factory, if I'm remembering correctly.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Fuck yeah! 550 is my favorite assault rifle.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Not chroming the barrel leads to shorter life span and it dirties easier during full auto fire, but my impression of the swiss army is that there is more focus on accuracy and long range markmanship. In that case it might make some sense as an unchromed barrel is more accurate.
I was talking to a gunsmith a month or so ago, and I asked him about when the best time to buy would be. Apparently in the fall, and not to bother with a rebarreled rifle (because they're CHFed, and most of them aren't shot enough). Not shot enough is something I've already experienced, we only get between 16 and 25 rounds to shoot. :cry: Can buy more of course, but it's hella expensive.

It's definitely more an accuracy/range rifle. Two stage trigger, the bipod, which is useless on anything but even ground. It's rumoured that the 6.45mm round which was looked at during development was nixed because the range lobby thought it didn't shoot flat enough.