2010 Photo-A-Day

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Re: 2010 Photo-A-Day

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I know the bonobo is is blurry. Dude moved and I was jostled at the same time. I still like the photo of two cousins regarding each other.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Scarborough Bluffs. See the person on the bottom for scale, the bluffs are about as high as Niagara Falls.

Beach near the bluffs

Invisible Arrow!
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Meanwhile, in the Shenandoah...

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

What I see almost every workday in the morning: view from one of the exists of Glories metro station in Barcelona. Perspective is skewed on purpose.

"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Oberleutnant wrote:What I see almost every workday in the morning: view from one of the exists of Glories metro station in Barcelona. Perspective is skewed on purpose.

Why skew it?
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Some photos from downtown Los Angeles.

Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I Love that first shot. Great weather, clean composition, and the stairs are well placed to give the shot a sense of balance.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Instant Sunrise wrote:Image
At first blush, I like the composition on this one. Color balance is quite nice - but the orange loops on the track are slightly distracting. They don't have much visual weight and and make it more difficult to decide if they should be the subject - or the tall building in the background the track leads to. The brightnest of the garage also sticks out a bit but I think that anchors the picture.
Love the colors on this one. Not sure if it should have a bit more context around it or not.
I like the scene - especially the contrast between buildings. Pity the middle-left one has to be white ;) It's a bit hard to determine if there's a subject or the buildings are supposed to be it.
Last edited by phongn on 2010-05-09 01:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Some photos from my hike yesterday
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Panasonic GF-1 with 7-14mm lens

STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar: ARF ARF PUGGLE ARF.

Fin: I approve of that bridge shot. What were your settings?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Daisy the suburban puggle was quickly perturbed by the woods.

I HEAR SOMETHING!

I HEAR SOMETHING AGAIN!

"This 7 mile hike in the mountains is not nearly as fun as I was led to believe."

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote:Lonestar: ARF ARF PUGGLE ARF.

Did the digging and here they are:

Camera: Panasonic GF-1
Lens: 7-14mm f4 (equivalent to 14-28mm on 35mm full frame)

The first shot was taken at 7mm focal length, f4 aperture, 1/3s shutter, ISO400.

The second was taken at similar settings, but 1/4s shutter.

All taken without tripod (I really need to get one) so that might explain the little jitter...
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:Lonestar: ARF ARF PUGGLE ARF.

Did the digging and here they are:

Camera: Panasonic GF-1
Lens: 7-14mm f4 (equivalent to 14-28mm on 35mm full frame)

The first shot was taken at 7mm focal length, f4 aperture, 1/3s shutter, ISO400.
That's remarkably sharp given a third of a second. I'd have gone up to ISO 800-1000 and cut the shutter speed up to 1/20 or so myself.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Grim Squeaker wrote:That's remarkably sharp given a third of a second. I'd have gone up to ISO 800-1000 and cut the shutter speed up to 1/20 or so myself.
Well, the lens is a good lens. Cost me about 1000 USD equivalent.

I didn't want to go too high as the Panasonic GF-1 noise starts to go up a little, though still within tolerance. In any case, I tried to anchor myself against the railing to take the first shot, reducing jitter quite perceptably.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Panasonic GF-1 with 7-14mm lens
I approve of this shot. Seriously, it's good, and I'm amazed it's that sharp at 1/3 sec! You've got some good technique there, anchored or not.

EDIT: Please link your pictures to the relevant Flickr page as well; it's in the Flickr TOS.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Kreia
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

A camera with one of those pivoting screens would really have helped to frame & light this one better.
Shooting blind was no fun at all...
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I like the first one, Lonestar, especially the alignment with the trail. Was this ahead or behind you? My first thought was that this was a look back down the path.
XXXI
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think that one is when I looked back. That trail goes alllllllllllllll the way to Mount Katahdin in Maine.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Green!
Generic, but I like it. First uploaded shot ever with my new used 70-200 D:
Photography
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker