The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Six Up

Post by GrayAnderson »

westrim wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Erra wrote:Imagine the music (and weapons) we could make if we knew how to create pure notes and resonance frequencies.
Heavy metal that literally BLOWS YOUR MIND? 8)
I've heard of death metal, but that's ridiculous! :P
Anyone else here ever seen Strange Brew?
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

westrim, I think you're going to have to atone for that one. otherwise we'll all start to tune you out

:twisted:

hah, hope my sense of humour resonates with you
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

I'm quite certain we can make purer tones than the angels, but then tone purity isn't really the issue here. ;)

My point wasn't that there shouldn't be a scientific explanation in-story. Of course there should be, that's part of the theme. It's simply that, try as we might, we don't have the ability to narrow down what that explanation is - which particular flavor of handwavium will get invoked.

Which is not to say that it can't be fun to speculate anyway.. just so long as you don't expect Stuart to follow the speculations.
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

Ruadhan2300 wrote:westrim, I think you're going to have to atone for that one. otherwise we'll all start to tune you out

:twisted:

hah, hope my sense of humor resonates with you
Very good, did you compose that yourself?
Gogyra
Redshirt

Post by Gogyra »

Erra wrote:Imagine the music (and weapons) we could make if we knew how to create pure notes and resonance frequencies.
Uh, we can - what gave you the idea that either of those were even difficult? If you want a pure note, just drive a good speaker with a clean sine wave. In fact, you'll find that it doesn't even sound that interesting; it's basically just a beep. What we can't do is make coherent beams of noise (i.e. sound lasers) the way that angels do. Actually, we're even capable of making them, it's just that we don't know how to make ones with the massive range and power that the angels' trumpets have.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Headquarters, Incomparable Legion Of Light, Heaven.

"Oh man, can't we all just get along?"

Raphael-Lan covertly raised his eyebrows in despair. "I really wish we could, especially after all the work you put in with the humans a couple of millennia ago. Michael-Lan really admires that, you know. The sheer patience and concentration needed to control that carpenter for so many years, well, it was an achievement he really respects. A pity it all turned out so badly. Anyway, we, or rather you, have a job to do. He Who Must Not Be Named wants you to lead the Incomparable Legion and its human levies against the army invading Heaven."

"Oh crap. Why don't we just sit down and talk this out with them? Anyway, which one, man? There are human armies all over the place."

"The nearest one will do." Which, just by great good fortune happens to be the one best fitted to kill you and wipe out Yahweh's personal bodyguard. "In any case, The One Above Us All has a personal interest in them. The prison used to hold those who betrayed His Holy Will has been overrun by humans and it must be recaptured. Immediately. Such are the unquestionable commands of The Most High."

Raphael-Lan watched the figure the other side of the table shake his head. "He really needs to mellow out and smell the roses. My Unspeakable Father has palaces all over Heaven, what's one more or less to Him?"

"I think it's the angels within His Omnipotence is worried about. They defied His Holy Will after all."

"Ominpotence? That's a joke. What things I could tell you. Still, if the Old Man wants it, I guess it must be done. Keep Him chilled out. Where?" There was something subtly different about the last word, one that made Raphael-Lan look sharply across the table.

"Here. I suggest you take the entire Legion and hit this point just opposite the camp. There's only a thin skin of human forces there, most of the rest are spreading out to secure their base area. When the Incomparable Legion breaks through here, you can spread out inside and collapse the whole area. You will earn yourself much glory in the eyes of He Who Is Above Us All."

The snort of laughter surprised Rafael-Lan. "Like sure, man. Like My Eternal Father is going to be cool with anything I do. Thank you, Rafael-Lan, for your wisdom and insight. Pass word to He Who Must Be Obeyed that his Dutiful Son will lead the Incomparable Legion to victory."

Raphael-Lan made his obeisance and left the tent to fly back to the Eternal City. That was getting more dangerous now there were human aircraft in the skies over Heaven. Their fastest and most powerful could sweep down and take out their target before there was any sign of their presence. Things in Heaven were already changing fast. Less than a week since Lemuel and Maion had opened the doors and already Angelic control of Heaven was slipping.

Back in the headquarters, Enatenael-Lan-Elhmas was staring at the map spread out on the table. "Eternal Lord, do we do as Raphael suggests?"

"Like hell man. Raphael and Michael are good people but they just don’t know humans the way I do. We throw in an assault at the point he suggested sure, but it'll be a feint. The humans will have to respond to it, they have hordes of human civilians helping out at the hell-hole My Auspicious Father created. They'll want to protect them, so they'll pull in units from all around to stop us. Enatenael-Lan, take one cohort of the Incomparable Legion and its human levies. That'll give you 10,000 angels and five times that number of levies. Keep pushing at the forces the humans throw at you. Once they've stripped the rest of their perimeter to stop you, I'll lead the other nine Cohorts and their levies in. They'll punch right through the thinned-out human lines. It'll be rough on you and your Cohort but it'll cost us less overall."

"Very good Eternal Lord." Enatenael-Lan crossed his wings in front of his face and swept out to gather his forces.

Far, far overhead, beyond the ability of Angelic eyes to see or ears to hear, the RQ-4 Global Hawk turned at the end of its reconnaissance run and relayed its pictures of the ground below back to the surveillance center.

Headquarters, Human Expeditionary Army, Heaven.

As a command center, Heaven beat Hell any day. It was, well, heavenly just to be able to open a window and let fresh air enter the building. After almost two years spending most of his time in Hell, General of the Armies David Petraeus appreciated the simple virtues of being able to breath fresh air, unprocessed by filters and electrostatic precipitators.

"Well, they're on the move at last." It surprised Petraeus that it had taken the Angelic Host so long to react to his invasion. He didn’t regret it, the most crucial hours of any invasion were those as the first units started to arrive. At first they had been too few and too spread-out to offer a solid defense but the delay in Angelic response had made them miss the opportunity. He had an entire Army in Heaven now with additional portals opening up daily. The Russians and Chinese were pouring in as well, doing the same as he was, establishing a perimeter and making sure it was secure. Back in Hell, Fourth Army Group was ready to move as soon as any news of an Angelic incursion on to Earth was reported. The possibility that the Angelic Host might try an end-run and suck him out of Heaven by threatening Earth had occurred to Petraeus and he had made preparations to allow for it. With Fourth Army Group ready to portal to any point on Earth and human leg infantry and militia there already, Earth was as secure as he could make it.

"Splitting their force too." General Sir Michael Jackson looked at the displays that dominated the wall of the command center.

"That's a feint." Major-General Asanee tapped the smaller of the two forces. "It's heading for Belial's concentration camp. I guess the enemy commander knows us well enough to realize we have to protect the civilians there."

"And he thinks we'll strip the forces we have on the rest of the perimeter to do so. He doesn’t know us as well as he thinks." Petraeus thought for a second. "We do need to move up some reserves there though. Michael, where are our First Demonic and Caesar's Third Legion?"

Jackson flicked through the sheets on his clipboard. "Well-placed David. We can have them up there quickly enough to set up a good defense." He hesitated briefly, "are you sure you want them to take this on. Neither unit is seasoned and we don't know if either can actually fight."

"Then we had better find out hadn't we?" Asanee was staring at the map, her mind working out distances and times. "This is a golden opportunity to do so. It is a feint so if they crumple, we won’t lose too much and we can restore the situation using my corps and Third US Armored. I wonder if the guy on the other side knows Third has moved south?"

"Probably." Petraeus was also calculating time and distance. "My guess is that the humans here are funnelling information to him. They're pretty loyal to their angels. So, we can assume that the opposition have a lot of tactical intelligence on us but very little strategic level stuff. They're not fighting completely blind the way Satan and his commanders did. We can expect a lot more skill tactically but they still haven't grasped how fast we can move or how much firepower we can switch around. I must admit, I find the loyalty of the humans here disappointing."

"I don't find that at all surprising." Jackson was interrupted by a snort from Asanee. "Remember we haven't found any humans here from later than the latter part of the dark ages. We might regard the status of humans here as seriously dire but compared with what they are used to, this place really is paradise. We might even hypothesize that the Gates of Heaven were closed once our expectations exceeded the reality of this place."

"I'm sure the historians will love discussing that." As a scholar himself, Pestraeus could understand the fascination of solving such puzzles. But, that was for later. "So, we let the two integrated demon and second life human units take the brunt of this feint." Petraeus thumbed a button on the intercom system and rapped out a string of orders. The aide on the other end would be taking them down and turning his General's wishes into military movement orders. "We'll give them a helping hand of course, there's a reason why we've given priority to moving artillery units into the bridgeheads. Now, that brings us to the main force. Any ideas?"

"Assuming it moves on a direct path to its target, that means it will hit around here." Jackson tapped the display with a wooden pointer. "The Global Hawk is telling us this push is a really big one, some 90,000 angels and more than 450,000 humans."

"About the same size as Abigor's push in Iraq. I wonder how well those humans will fight. If they're so downtrodden as to think this place is Paradise, do they have the spirit to fight at all?" Asanee was thoughtful. She produced a laser pointer from a pocket and shone the red spot on the display. "They'll be hitting all along this area. They're lagging behind the feint though; I'd guess the idea is to draw us off."

"That'll play against them. We won’t just be learning how well our own demon units fight, we'll be learning how the Angelic Host fights. That's going to be important, according to DIMO(N) the combat strength of the Angelic Host is in excess of 60 million angels and up to 300 million humans." Petraeus noted the sharp intakes of breath from Jackson and Asanee. "Food for thought isn’t it."

"Mostly, how come the daemons fought them to a standstill in the Great Celestial War." Asanee was trying to envisage commanding an Army that big. "They've got a weakness, a bad one somewhere."

"DIMO(N) has an answer for that as well. According to their research, daemons are pretty fertile and their birth-rate replaced their casualties. Angels, not so much. Their fertility and birth rate are low so they are short in replacements. That probably translates into a very casualty-adverse mindset. I think if we study that Great Celestial War we will find that it was mostly skirmishing with the Angels refusing to get too heavily committed for fear of the casualties they'd take while the demons tried to avoid major battles because they knew they'd be heavily outnumbered."

"So, we hit this army hard. Give them a butcher's bill that'll make their eyes water."

"Exactly right, and when we hit that main force, we have just the tools we need to do it." Petraeus sighed. "Here we go again. I suppose I'm going to have to write another inspiring order-of-the-day."

"You are lucky David, you can email it out. If Caesar was sitting there, he would have to give it personally. With the size of our Army, that could take years."

Angelic Treatment Ward, Bethesda Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD

The results looked as if they were just about as bad as he had feared. Doctor Daniel Zinder held the x-rays up to the light and peered at the reforming bones. It turned out angels did have the same remarkable healing powers as daemons but in this case it wasn't helping his patients at all. Maion was the most advanced of them and the bones in her wing joints were indeed recovering. The only problem was, they were fusing into an immobile mass of bone. Flying was out of the question, it would be a miracle of she could fold her wings at all.

"Doctor, there is a fiend from Hell waiting to see you."

Zinder looked around sharply, Grace was standing in the doorway, smiling broadly. "Nurse, the word is daemon. We don’t want to be charged with racial discrimination or harassment. Anyway, ask him to wait five minutes then trot him in."

Zinder put the X-rays away and settled down at his desk. Grace returned, bringing the daemon in with her.

"I am Doctor Zinder, how may I help you." He reflected that was a bit curt but formality was still catching up with the rapid changes in relationships. 'Half-believed mythological legend' to 'hideous reality' to 'mortal enemy' to 'defeated foe' to 'de-facto ally' in two years took some getting used to.

"My name is Memnon, I am currently Minister of Communications in the Government of President Abigor. I understand that you have large numbers of angels here to be treated?"

"We do." A horrible thought crossed Zinder's mind. "You don’t want to eat them do you?"

Memnon laughed, uneasily aware that not so long ago that was exactly what he would have wanted. "No, but I may have some information that may help you. Our information is that the wings on these angels have been broken, crippled. Is this true?"

"It is, some have had their legs broken the same way. We're doing our best but even with the best reconstructive surgery, we're not doing so well."

"This does not surprise me. Breaking the wings of angels was a favorite sport of ours when we held them prisoner during The Great Celestial War. But, I should tell you something. During the invasion by Abigor's Army, I was attacked by some of your fighters. My colleagues were killed and my wings were badly burned and mutilated by a missile. They grew back, malformed and distorted so that I could not fly. The doctors said that it was because metal fragments from the missile warheads were interfering with the nerves and blood vessels but I think it was because the fragments were iron and iron is poison to us."

Memnon paused and flared his wings outwards. Zinder was struck by how similar the basic structure was to the angelic wings. They were black and scaled like lizard skin of course, not white and feathered, but even without X-rays, Zinder could see the bone structure was the same. He could also see that Memnon's wings were fully functional and un-mutilated. "So what happened Memnon?"

"My wings were so bad that the Doctors decided the only thing to do was to amputate them. They did so, and my wings grew back again. With the iron fragments removed from my body, they grew back perfectly. They may also do so on Angels."

"Do all your limbs grow back if amputated?" Zinder was fascinated. He was also furious that a piece of vital information like this had been concealed or lost. He knew the reason of course; Memnon must have been treated in an Army hospital, this was a Navy facility. Inter-service cooperation would be a wonderful thing if it ever happened.

"They do, although removing a crippled limb to allow a new one to grow in its place had never occurred to us before."

Kinder thought carefully. He could see several problems with this, not least of which was obvious from Memnon's wings. Despite the similar structure, Angelic wings were bird-like, Daemonic wings were more akin to those of lizards. And many earth lizards could regrow lost limbs. That didn’t mean that humans could. "Memnon, why are you telling us this? Angels are your enemies, just as they are ours."

"Why do you treat them in your hospital?" Memnon paused. "For millennia, uncounted millennia, so far back that time itself became misty, we did things that were brutal and cruel beyond limits. We gloried in that cruelty and measured ourselves by it. Then you humans came and you slaughtered us. It was so easy for you that you defeated us and cast us down in a few weeks. By our standards we would have been your slaves and treated as cruelly as we treated our victims. But you didn't. You healed our wounds, you repaired what had been destroyed. In doing so you showed us the deadliest of all your weapons, compassion. You changed us and gave us a different way of looking at the world. Now, those of us who saw the destruction you can wreak on those you fight, we want to be like you. By changing the environment in which we lived, you changed us. To help the crippled Angels is our first step back from the pit."

Zinder nodded slowly. It had long been argued whether a foul environment bred crime and cruelty or not, and if it did, whether improving that environment would reduce them. It looked as if he had a substantial part of the answer to that question sitting in front of him.

"Thank you for coming here today, Memnon, we must investigate this carefully. There may be problems and we must be sure that, first of all, we do not harm." He paused slightly. "Here on Earth, Doctors take an oath before we are allowed to treat patients. One part of that oath, in my opinion the most important, is 'first of all, do no harm.' But I think you give me hope for this case that I never had before."

Bivouac Area, Third Legion. Heaven

Tucker McElroy looked at his command paraded before him. This wouldn't take long. It had better not because there was a lot of digging to do before the enemy arrived. "Soldiers of the Third Legion. Our Commander, General of the Armies David Petraeus, has issued the following order of the day.

"Our battle against Yahweh now reaches its climax. Never forget that we have turned him away by the force of our arms before. Dare we forget the valor of our ancestors? When the Heroes at Troy wounded the Gods and drove them from the field? When the mortal hand of Rama struck down the demon Ravana after invading Sri Lanka on his bridge of hurled stone? Remember that Yahweh himself quailed and fled before the Iron Chariots of Sisera. Satan might have been the Prince of Hell but it was Yahweh who put him there and it was Yahweh who controlled who was to be tortured and who wasn't. Daemon and human alike, he oppressed us. Now, this is our moment to break free from the cycle-curse. If we can turn away the strength of Yahweh with Iron, then that is reason enough for us to make common cause and turn on the ruler of Heaven with full fury. The angels choose to make war on us. More fool them; we'll kill them, and we'll drive Yahweh from his throne at gunpoint. Then we will exhort the moral in spirit who reside in Heaven to rise against the injustice of a God turned against his own word."

McElroy looked up. "I've just got one more thing to say. First-life humans, they look on us second-lifers as helpless victims who had to be rescued and you daemons as little more than massed targets. It's time to show them that we can fight as well as they can. So start digging, the spade is brother to the sword."
Last edited by Stuart on 2010-05-18 08:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Seven Up

Post by Darth Yan »

yayyyy!!!! NEW CHAPIE!!! Seriously, that's 17? :D
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

"please sir...can I have some more?" @_@
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Jezus isn't nearly the brain-dead patsy Micheal thinks he is. Pity that he might still not be smart enough to survive.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Good work. I like the Order of the Day at the end, very inspiring.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

Where is that division from the The Vatican in all of this?
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Very good overall, though I think you made Jesus sound a bit too stereotyped. Hippie Jesus isn't exactly new, after all. Something a bit crisper and more focused might have worked better, I think.

But that's a nitpick.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

So, we finally see Jesus in action, or should I say Elhmas.

This whole chapter had me squeeing like an immature fangirl. Totally worth it.

Especially the last sentence. I realize "the spade is brother to the sword" is probably a much more common saying than I am aware of, but my only point of reference for it is in "Decimating the Diodach" and it gave me excited chills. This is going to be messy.
Pants?
StephenBMann
Redshirt

Post by StephenBMann »

That sounds like the magic system in Silence In Solitude by Melissa Scott. Pure notes from various sources seem to be the source of their techno-magic; notes from a harmonium bathed in elemental water provide the motive power for their starships, etc.
Steve Mann
AIM: mrmannst
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Simon_Jester wrote:Very good overall, though I think you made Jesus sound a bit too stereotyped. Hippie Jesus isn't exactly new, after all. Something a bit crisper and more focused might have worked better, I think.
You might note, he's a lot less hippie and a lot sharper when he was talking to Enatenael-Lan-Elhmas than he was when talking to Raphael-Lan.
JN1 wrote:Good work. I like the Order of the Day at the end, very inspiring.
We have to thank Marina for that. She wrote it in the original thread and I have been wanting to include it for posterity ever since.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

"Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war." Let's go kill us a God.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I liked how Jesus was portrayed. He's a bit on the mellow side, but it's not like he's going to go running up to the human armies flailing his arms before saying "I surrender, man." Pity it'll probably get him killed.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I know this won't be answered for a while, and it's not on topic at all, but I would like to know how long ago this Heaven/Hell soul divvying system was set up. Mostly because I had this thought of the story about Adam and Eve being about the first humans whose souls were entered into this system. It makes the question about where Cain's wife came from a lot easier and less incestuous: he just went to the tribe next door. There were plenty of other people but the angels/demons were still in Beta and weren't ready to throw it open yet.

Dunno how Lilith would be involved. Early hybridization experiment gone wrong?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
EuelB
Redshirt

Post by EuelB »

(High pitched cry of delight.) Boo ya, another chapter! This is one of those pre-battle, calm before the storm, episodes where you just know that major Angelic ass-kicking will soon follow.

Stuart wrote:Headquarters, Incomparable Legion Of Light, Heaven.

"Oh man, can't we all just get along?"

Raphael-Lan covertly raised his eyebrows in despair. "I really wish we could, especially after all the work you put in with the humans a couple of millennia ago. Michael-Lan really admires that, you know. The sheer patience and concentration needed to control that carpenter for so many years, well, it was an achievement he really respects. A pity it all turned out so badly. Anyway, we, or rather you, have a job to do. He Who Must Not Be Named wants you to lead the Incomparable Legion and its human levies against the army invading Hell."
Here we meet Jebuzz, and discover that he infested the man called Yasu ben Yusef. That will put the last nail in the coffin (I'm tempted to say cross...) of several religions... We also find out that Mikey's going to feed him, a metric ass load of humans (Damn shame...) and Wingboys (Yeah!) into the meat grinder that is the HEA, the grind-ies being those most loyal to Big Daddy Yaya, making his later regime change and surrender just that much easier. (One can imagine him turning away from this council of war, hands in the classical steeple shape with eyes glowing, whispering "All according to plan.". Then he eats a potato chip...)
"Like hell man. Raphael and Michael are good people but they just don’t know humans the way I do. We throw in an assault at the point he suggested sure, but it'll be a feint. The humans will have to respond to it, they have hordes of human civilians helping out at the hell-hole My Auspicious Father created. They'll want to protect them, so they'll pull in units from all around to stop us. Enatenael-Lan, take one cohort of the Incomparable Legion and its human levies. That'll give you 10,000 angels and five times that number of levies. Keep pushing at the forces the humans throw at you. Once they've stripped the rest of their perimeter to stop you, I'll lead the other nine Cohorts and their levies in. They'll punch right through the thinned-out human lines. It'll be rough on you and your Cohort but it'll cost us less overall."
What's this? We scratch the dope head and find someone with a working brain? Surprise! Of course, he's not quite as knowledgeable about Humans as Mikey (or knowledgeable about Mikey), but who in Heaven is? Of course, this Cohort is going to get eaten for a light snack, and the "thinned-out" human lines aren't going to be push overs. You know, I almost feel sorry for Jebuzz. Almost...
Far, far overhead, beyond the ability of Angelic eyes to see or ears to hear, the RQ-4 Global Hawk turned at the end of its reconnaissance run and relayed its pictures of the ground below back to the surveillance center.
Technology beats divinity...
"And he thinks we'll strip the forces we have on the rest of the perimeter to do so. He doesn’t know us as well as he thinks." Petraeus thought for a second. "We do need to move up some reserves there though. Michael, where are our First Demonic and Caesar's Third Legion?"
(Giggle...) Nice hat trick, Stuart.
"Doctor, there is a fiend from Hell waiting to see you."

Zinder looked around sharply, Grace was standing in the doorway, smiling broadly. "Nurse, the word is daemon. We don’t want to be charged with racial discrimination or harassment. Anyway, ask him to wait five minutes then trot him in."

Here we see the further integration of the Baldrics with our culture. "Daemon", eh? (Pronounced DAY-mon, at least that's how I hear it.)
In doing so you showed us the deadliest of all your weapons, compassion. You changed us and gave us a different way of looking at the world.
If you can't beat them, join them...
McElroy looked up. "I've just got one more thing to say. First-life humans, they look on us second-lifers as helpless victims who had to be rescued and you daemons as little more than massed targets. It's time to show them that we can fight as well as they can. So start digging, the spade is brother to the sword."
I love this paragraph. No, I f***ing adore this paragraph. I'm trying to be a writer, and if I write something one tenth as good as this paragraph, I'll be doing damn good. You have to read it in content, like some bright gem set in gold. The second-lifers and the daemons get to fight on their own, once oppressors and oppressed, now together against the ones who put them in Hell. It also gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to see daemons (Love the new term...) clipping wings under human command. Another think, they know to dig foxholes (and maybe more?) which puts them ahead of 99% of fictional armies...
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscar Wilde
Heatherine
Redshirt

Post by Heatherine »

Is Yahweh more powerful than Satan? Is he dangerous to human armies personally I mean (like the Scarlet Beast)? All of the lightning and everything makes him seem a bit scary. ^^;
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Heatherine wrote:Is Yahweh more powerful than Satan? Is he dangerous to human armies personally I mean (like the Scarlet Beast)? All of the lightning and everything makes him seem a bit scary. ^^;
There's been speculation that Yaweh himself is the 'Red Dragon' from Revelation, which would make him the greatest of the armageddon beasts.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Barrigana
Redshirt

Post by Barrigana »

Stuart wrote:He Who Must Not Be Named wants you to lead the Incomparable Legion and its human levies against the army invading Hell.
Not sure you've noticed it already but this should read Heaven, right?
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

Oh sweet, a new chapter. This is why i signed up in the forum in the first place. Now, the main question I have is.

Are the second lifers and daemons going to be doing what they do in drill? Even if it means being out in the open to those trumpet blasts? I mean, they may be second lifers and daemons, but they're still valuable allies. I wonder how that'll mix. Hopefully autocannons and heavy machine guns can help against those things.
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

Well, here is an hour in paint for apparently no reason, but I kind of like it.

Just thought I would post some fanart, since everyone keeps talking about how there is nothing for TSW.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

That REALLY needs some filtering. Good concept, though.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage