The worst TV sci-fi ending ever

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Re: The worst TV sci-fi ending ever

Post by Gramzamber »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Gramzamber wrote:Bullshit. What opportunity? For Adama to get gangrene and die when he cuts himself building his hut? Yeah, great.
Even if I somehow accepted the sudden hate of all technology, to also reject their own culture and revert to the year 0 is idiotic. Pol Pot did that to his people, and we call him a monster.
Yeah. But if we can imagine any conditions under which people would do that to themselves, it would be when they just had something like 99.9999% of their population get killed off in the Robot Uprising. The survivors are going to be about as technophobic as it is possible for human beings to be.

If every time they turn on a computer it reminds them of The Day The Cylons Hacked The Network and killed everyone, getting rid of all the computers may seem a bit more palatable even if it means having to work your ass off in the fields.

That doesn't mean it's a smart decision, of course. But bands of refugees who have just managed to shake pursuit from a ruthless genocidal enemy aren't known for being at the height of rational objectivity.
Again that would certainly be true for some of them, but not for all of them. Especially when it's established that they've been highly divisive about everything.
For every person blaming tech for blowing them all up there'd be someone praising it for getting them to their new home intact.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Coyote wrote:There's always the ending to Alf, where the lovable-but-sarcastic little furry alien gets taken by government agents to be vivisected.
It is obviously the cats having their final revenge upon the bastard :P .

As for sci-fi...usually material like X-Files finale and such not stick more as bad endings because they were more mercy killing then trying for a resolution.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gemini-Preserver wrote:The American version of Life On Mars? That was just. Banging your head against a table bad really.
I honestly didn't believe it until I saw it, it was that bad. How retarded could they be?
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Jericho. Cancel the show, and have the final episode end with a pointless cliffhanger? Check. Give us a convulted plot for the past season? Check. Leave God know show many obvious questions unanswered? Check.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Stark wrote:
Gemini-Preserver wrote:The American version of Life On Mars? That was just. Banging your head against a table bad really.
I honestly didn't believe it until I saw it, it was that bad. How retarded could they be?
How could they pass up such a terrific excuse for a pun, though? It's not like it renders the entire series moot :lol:
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
JediToren
Padawan Learner

Post by JediToren »

While not exactly the series finale, the Stargate SG-1 movies that wrapped up the dangling plot threads for SG-1 were god awful crap. Stargate pulled alot of deus ex machina crap during its run, but Stargate: The Ark of Truth had all major plot threads resolved that way, even Teal'c getting healed from being shot.

The BSG ending sucked balls for several reasons. The first one was when the angels were in New York and they asked if "all of this had to happen again," and concluded that due to random chance, it probably would not happen again and the cycle would be broken.
Random fucking chance.
The entire series had developed this core story about the Cylons and Man getting past their differences, forgiving each other, atoning for their own mistakes as well as those of their ancestors. Season 4 explained that the "cycle" was this looping tragedy where humans and robots keep blowing themselves up, and that if they were ever going to break the cycle and move forward as a civilization, they had to do it together. They started this in season 2 and it came to the forefront in season 4, especially after they found the 13th Colony Earth.
Then we are told that the lessons they fought, suffered, and died for were totally irrelevant. Nothing they did or learned had any bearing whatsoever on preventing or perpetuating the cycle. Indeed, since Earth 2 already had plenty of life (including humans) and they failed to contribute anything at all, the colonials' very existence was irrelevant. The Death Star could have blown up Kobol 10,000 years earlier and it wouldn't have mattered at all.

The trouble with the One True God is that he is ultimately behind everything to such an extend that the main characters are reduced to being puppets in his big plan. The other problem with the OTG was that his plan had no purpose and made no sense.

Prior to the final episode, the OTG's goal seemed clear; it was trying to get humans and cylons to break the cycle together. It had tried to do this before but failed. It led the fleet to places like Kobol and the 13th Colony Earth so they could hopefully learn from the mistakes their ancestors made. It pushed Caprica Six and Baltar into leadership positions and tried to get them together. The OTG was pushing, whispering, and influencing, but ultimately the fleet had to break the cycle for themselves. The OTG could lead them to water, but they had to drink.

Revealing that the 2000 year old "All Along the Watchtower" song was actually the coordinates to a strange planet we now call Earth undermined all that. Now we know that, from the beginning, the OTG was leading them to this planet. That was the goal all along. The fate of the 12 colonies was sealed even before the falls of Kobol and Earth. Everything that happened after were just pages on the OTG's script.

In any good story, the characters need to be responsible for their own actions and suffer the consequences of them. Expanding the role of the OTG from a manipulator not unlike Lost's Jacob, into a one-man band that is running the whole show, undermines that.

There appears to be no reason to lead them to this planet in the first place. It seems utterly pointless. It has no historical or cultural significance to the colonials or cylons. Why go through all this trouble to get them there, especially since their arrival didn't seem to matter anyway? Why wait 2000 years to do it? Why not just have the 13th Colony and the Kobolians go there instead of the 12 Colonies? They didn't contribute anything to new Earth anyway, so what was the point of at all?
For that matter, why did the OTG draw Starbuck to her death only to resurrect a few months later, then use he to lead them to both the 13th Colony Earth and our Earth? The OTG already planted the song/coordinates in a half dozen other people, and any one of the final five could have found the way to the 13th Colony.
Why lead the 13th tribe to Earth in the first place? What purpose did having Baltar and Caprica sue for peace have?

You don't have to explain HOW the OTG did what he did, but we do need to understand WHY.
Ugolino
Youngling

Post by Ugolino »

Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Karen Traviss IS a Kaminoan!
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Not only does the ending of nBSG undermine the concept of character free will. To me, I just can't find an explanation for "god"/the angels/whatever's actions that aren't sinister.
The whole thing comes across as a manipulation designed to maintain the cycle, and that's hardly a great way to end the show is it? Evil has won! Is that the message intended? Because when I see angel Baltar and Six at the end, I don't see two good beings reflecting on good deeds done, I see two villians gloating over their victory.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

I actually got the feeling at the end of nBSG that it was up to US to break the cycle, not that the Colonials and Cylons did it. We're at the cusp of creating artificial life, and it was Moore's little soapbox, saying "hey, you better watch out and treat these things with respect, or the cycle will start all over again".

From what I got of it, no, the cycle didn't even end with these two groups. It continued. It's happening again and we've got to stop it. And that's in addition to all the other things mentioned, like the Luddite shit and the OTG nonsense. No, our characters didn't really have an impact in stopping this...they were just part of the cycle. But hey, now it's our turn to go through it.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ugolino wrote:Sarah Connor Chronicles.
I wouldn't count it as an ending because at the time it was shot, the people did not know it was cancelled.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Like the first "end" of the Farscape series-- they didn't realize they were going to be canceled, and had another season planned when the plug was pulled. Leaving John and Aeryn turned into little pellets in a rowboat.

Fortunately they were able to put together a miniseries that all-too-hastily wrapped things up.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Coyote wrote:Like the first "end" of the Farscape series-- they didn't realize they were going to be canceled, and had another season planned when the plug was pulled. Leaving John and Aeryn turned into little pellets in a rowboat. .
To be honest, I'd have preferred that ending to the miniseries, which just felt off in places and some characterization as well. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't that much Farscape anymore.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gigaliel
Padawan Learner

Post by Gigaliel »

The Prisoner's ending was pretty terrible. Of course, it was also written in about a day, so this isn't surprising.

Not really sure how it should have ended, though. It's not like the Village believed him when he did tell them and security seemed impossible to circumvent. Something really open ended I guess..?
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Night_stalker wrote:Jericho. Cancel the show, and have the final episode end with a pointless cliffhanger? Check. Give us a convulted plot for the past season? Check. Leave God know show many obvious questions unanswered? Check.
I don't think its really the show's fault for not getting picked up. It was pretty obvious that more story was planned with the war/aversion of war that was looming. And the show had all kinds of conspiracy angles and twists, but it still holds together much more solidly than something like LOST. I think that the Jericho showrunners knew what they wanted their overall plot arch to be from the very beginning, we just never got to see the last third of the story.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

I'm surprised the last episode of Enterprise hasn't been mentioned...
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

What last Episode of Enterprise?

Oh. Wait. Did you mean that really crappy ST:TNG episode made years after "All Good Things" and only starring an aging Frakes and Sirtis?

Nope, Not bitter about that one at all...
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Skylon wrote:I'm surprised the last episode of Enterprise hasn't been mentioned...
The two-parted that closed off Enterprise was pretty good, by the standards of that show, anyway. Plus it had Robocop in it! What more could you want?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

Hmm, well pretty much took my reasoning for nBSG. It felt...awkward, really, to abandon technology in such an abrupt way.

Although the last battle was amazing. But not as tear-jerkingly good as the Pegasus' last stand.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Skylon wrote:I'm surprised the last episode of Enterprise hasn't been mentioned...
The two-parted that closed off Enterprise was pretty good, by the standards of that show, anyway. Plus it had Robocop in it! What more could you want?
Yeah it's not as if they ended it with some episode where it's just a holodeck simulation for a fat, old Riker and Troi where all the characters are reverted to their season 1 personae or anything. That'd just be silly.

On a side note, Star Trek has had Robocop as a bad guy, and Clarence Boddicker and Dick Jones as good guys.
That ain't right, man!
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Andromeda's final episode is amoungst the worst I have ever seen.

Andromeda just has a fight followed by the guy saying he won and acting like the series is finished. There is no sense of closure or anything.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Ok, I haven't seen BSG at all, but regarding the sudden rejection of technology because of evil robots being evil (or something), isn't that pretty much the motivation for Dune's Butlerian Jihad?

With the obvious caveat that in Dune they reject AIs, but do not act as pack of morons and get rid of the rest of their technology (And I'm betting that, in universe, had mentats not been possible, they would have kept using computers to some extent).

I haven't seen that many Sci-Fi endings, but the ending to Voyager was quite a letdown. In itself it was a half decent time-travel/borg episode, but after years of a series whose motivation was "WE WANT TO GET BACK HOME" it was a massive cop-out to have the finale dedicate a few seconds of screen time to the actual return home.
unsigned
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Andromeda's final episode is amoungst the worst I have ever seen.

Andromeda just has a fight followed by the guy saying he won and acting like the series is finished. There is no sense of closure or anything.
Mind you in Andromeda's case it's a case of the entire season being pure unwatchable garbage so the finale, such as it is, blends into that incoherent mess.
I don't even remember anything from that episode other than Earth exploding for no reason, and Dylan declaring total victoly! No that isn't an invitation to remind me. I'd rather forget.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Andromeda's final episode is amoungst the worst I have ever seen.

Indeed. I have to second this, especially when taking the quality of the first season in account.
------------
------------
My LPs
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I'm rewatching all of Andromeda currently and am at season 4 and will go all the way to Season 5.

Strangely I found Season 3 a sinker in quality but compared to Season 4 its at least LUCID.

However, the ending of S5 is extremely stupid beyong words and I can still remember it due to the utter confusion that season brings.

I read the cast of Andromeda tried to get a spin-off without Dylan Hunt... that might have actually been interesting without Kevin Sorobo wanking. Sadly it didnt happen.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

PREDATOR490 wrote:I'm rewatching all of Andromeda currently and am at season 4 and will go all the way to Season 5.

Strangely I found Season 3 a sinker in quality but compared to Season 4 its at least LUCID.

However, the ending of S5 is extremely stupid beyong words and I can still remember it due to the utter confusion that season brings.
There are no words to express my contempt for Bob Engels and the utter group of morons that destroyed the series.
I read the cast of Andromeda tried to get a spin-off without Dylan Hunt... that might have actually been interesting without Kevin Sorobo wanking. Sadly it didnt happen.
This is the first I ever heard of it....are you sure? I kinda think I am pretty well versed what went on in the fandom and the media and I never heard of this.
------------
------------
My LPs