The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

PaperJack
Youngling

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Up

Post by PaperJack »

El Moose Monstero wrote:Grim stuff. It's good to see the subject treated with the gravity it deserves. Is the cobalt blue lake the groundwater collecting in the crater? Or is it something else?
I think it's water so heavily irradiated it emits Cherenkov radiation
"I'm not a friggin' mercenary; I'm a capitalist adventurer!"
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

excellent chapter. Incidentally, I flipped through cancerman AND HE CLAIMS TO BE A FORMER MARINE. He also says your description of dialogue is inaccurate, and that you simplify rape.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Darth Yan wrote: Incidentally, I flipped through cancerman AND HE CLAIMS TO BE A FORMER MARINE. He also says your description of dialogue is inaccurate, and that you simplify rape.
Just pity the guy and leave him alone. He's really not worth the effort of doing anything more than that.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Wow. I think I'll probably skip over TBO (the novel, not the entire universe). That really is nightmare fuel.

Somehow Ya ya didn't seem to be terribly attached to Jesus. I wouldn't find it surprising if he placed more importance on his pets than his family or let alone servants.

I thought the part about Stevenson's gunner throwing up because he thought she was to be a lighter touch. Was it meant to be that way.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Darth Yan wrote:excellent chapter. Incidentally, I flipped through cancerman AND HE CLAIMS TO BE A FORMER MARINE. He also says your description of dialogue is inaccurate, and that you simplify rape.
Isn't that better than going into graphic detail about rape?

Edit: Also, that blog is dead. He hasn't reviewed anything in about 5 months. I encourage SDNetizens to avoid stirring up shit over there.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

Did you HAVE to kill Jesus, he was probably the best angel in Heaven. I have to wonder how the Pope and the Vatican are going to handle that though.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Hey, the Vatican excommunicated God as a imposter, they probably did the same to Jesus.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pelranius wrote:I thought the part about Stevenson's gunner throwing up because he thought she was to be a lighter touch. Was it meant to be that way.
I thought her gunner thought that she was going to puke into her bandanna.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

phongn wrote:
Pelranius wrote:I thought the part about Stevenson's gunner throwing up because he thought she was to be a lighter touch. Was it meant to be that way.
I thought her gunner thought that she was going to puke into her bandanna.
So he thought it would be okay to do it since his boss did it. I'm still surprised by how widely spread that logic is. :P
It just seemed a bit humorous to me. Here they are, right next to a thermonuclear initiation and her gunner is behaving like some character out of the office.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Makes me want to take a look at TBO, a very grim and respectful look at nuclear warfare. Wasn't there some problem with the first printing? Any idea when a fixed version will be available?
von Neufeld
Padawan Learner

Post by von Neufeld »

What I really like is that Stuart manages to capture the horrors by not over-doing it. A lot of authors forgot about the Stalin quote, and over-does the death and mass destruction, which makes the readers emotionally detach from the story and see all characters as redshirts.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Darmalus wrote:Makes me want to take a look at TBO, a very grim and respectful look at nuclear warfare. Wasn't there some problem with the first printing? Any idea when a fixed version will be available?
Apparently the first printing had the un-edited edition go through instead of the one with all the corrections. Stuart is working on the revised copy now.
ImageImage
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

So when should I begin camping outside Barnes and Noble for it?
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Nine Up

Post by TimothyC »

Stuart wrote:The Targeteer smiled sadly. "Brennan, Don Brennan...."
I've read some about him when I was doing my paper on ABM. He seemed like a genuinely interesting man, who just didn't see himself as being useful anymore. A while back you said that you were only going to introduce two historical characters in Pantheocide, I presume this is the second?

Also I wonder if Herman Kahn and company will be starting up a Styx River Institute? :twisted:
Night_stalker wrote:So when should I begin camping outside Barnes and Noble for it?
Stuart publishes with Lulu and thus the books can be bought over Amazon.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Does anyone have any photos of fields of glass that were created by past nuclear tests? Up to now, I've not been able to find any.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Seggybop wrote:Does anyone have any photos of fields of glass that were created by past nuclear tests? Up to now, I've not been able to find any.

Trinitite, in all its' glory.
ImageImage
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Yeah, it's pretty easy to find pics of little chunks like that, and I've actually seen a few in person (a physics instructor I had a while ago snatched a few from the ground at the Trinity site). However, it seems almost impossible to find a picture of an actual unbroken field of glass. Perhaps I'm doing a terrible job searching, but the best I've found are some low-res black and white photos where the area simply looks like it's got a giant scorch mark on it.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Seggybop wrote:Yeah, it's pretty easy to find pics of little chunks like that, and I've actually seen a few in person (a physics instructor I had a while ago snatched a few from the ground at the Trinity site). However, it seems almost impossible to find a picture of an actual unbroken field of glass. Perhaps I'm doing a terrible job searching, but the best I've found are some low-res black and white photos where the area simply looks like it's got a giant scorch mark on it.
That's because it was never a smooth, unbroken field of glass. Right from the start it was cracked, fractured, and bashed around from all the shock.
ImageImage
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Seggybop wrote:Yeah, it's pretty easy to find pics of little chunks like that, and I've actually seen a few in person (a physics instructor I had a while ago snatched a few from the ground at the Trinity site). However, it seems almost impossible to find a picture of an actual unbroken field of glass. Perhaps I'm doing a terrible job searching, but the best I've found are some low-res black and white photos where the area simply looks like it's got a giant scorch mark on it.
That's because it was never a smooth, unbroken field of glass. Right from the start it was cracked, fractured, and bashed around from all the shock.
AN, not THE. The ground around Trinity was broken up, but there's probably some test that left a significant amount unbroken. Uxhalar seems to imply that the glass he sees is not broken. Plus, the idea of a vast bowl of glass is just cool, especially if it becomes a war memorial as I hope.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Excellent chapter. I suppose I should pity Ehlmas, but then he dominated and oppressed some poor Judean carpenter for decades. Good riddance. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

I pity the Second Life Humans caught in the area where they weren't killed (again) instantly, but will still likely die a very slow death out on that glass plain.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

Night_stalker wrote:Hey, the Vatican excommunicated God as a imposter, they probably did the same to Jesus.
IIRC, the Vatican had declared that Yahweh was a "false god" but that Jesus was still the savior.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Oh yeah, but once they learn about Jesus's true nature...

—anonymous

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Night_stalker wrote:Oh yeah, but once they learn about Jesus's true nature...
Assuming that anyone is left to talk about it. Yah yah will probably get iced before we can talk to him, and even then he probably won't give us information on the basis of principle while the Archangels and anyone else high enough in the know could possibly end up dead. Or Michael could get the crazily plausible idea of trying to blackmail the various Christian churches with the information (though I can't really think of anything they have that he could want).
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Darth Yan wrote:excellent chapter. Incidentally, I flipped through cancerman AND HE CLAIMS TO BE A FORMER MARINE.
Hey, maybe he didn't like TSW not verbally fellating the Corps. :P But yeah, if he's gone dormant, then he's a moot point.

Stuart, I hope that once the revised TBO is published that either it'll supersede the existing instance on Amazon or that they'll have separate entries? (i.e. "2nd/revised printing")
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Darmalus wrote:Makes me want to take a look at TBO, a very grim and respectful look at nuclear warfare. Wasn't there some problem with the first printing? Any idea when a fixed version will be available?
Apologies, but what does TBO stand for?