Spaceship race! (Which ship is fastest?)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who'd win in a friendly race?

2009 "Enterprise"
2%
"Serenity"
2%
TOS "Enterprise"
No votes
TNG "Enterprise"
4%
"Voyager"
No votes
"Millennium Falcon"
65%
nBSG "Galactica"
4%
"Tantive IV"
15%
Fastest Imperium ship
9%

Total votes: 54

LordOfWolves
Redshirt

Spaceship race! (Which ship is fastest?)

Post by LordOfWolves »

If the "Millennium Falcon," "Serenity," the "Tantive IV," the 2009 movie version of the "Enterprise," "Voyager," the nBSG "Galactica," the fastest IoM ship, the original "Enterprise," and the TNG "Enterprise" all got together for a friendly (i.e no blasting each other to bits) race...

Who'd win?

To be honest, I think the "Serenity" would win since while it might not be fast, it's hella reliable and a rather sturdy boat. Of course, like I said, it's not fast, so it wouldn't win hands-down, but it's a contender, for sure.
Amongst the ice, a flicker of hope.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Spaceship race! (Which ship is fastest?)

Post by Stark »

STL or FTL? In a straight line or a multi-destination course?

Since Serenity is possibly one of the slowest ships in all science fiction and constantly breaks down, your statement is bizarre in the extreme.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Uh...yeah, what the fuck is this? I mean fastest IoM ship, but the best we give for SW is a small cruiser and a junker? I'm not even counting the others since that would comparing the fastest man running versus the goddamn Flash.

To determine this just pull out what is the best IoM speed(ignoring the variety of differences and just try to calculate raw speed of said vessel) and compare it to some of SW better mid range or MF speeds and there's our winner.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Serenity? For all we know she doesn't even HAVE FTL. Everything in Firefly apparently happens in a single (if impossibly large and complex) star system.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I think he intended "Fastest sublight" race as is evidenced by it being the only possibility period. Serenity doesn't go FTL like... ever.. and watching galactica race would be like having a seizure with the damn thing popping in and out ever 33 minutes or so. We all know that based on everything on this site Star Wars Hyperdrive is Muuuuch faster than Star Trek Warp speed. All of this in mind I choose the falcon in a sublight race any day.

Because no one picked the White Star Amiright???

That thing looks good standing still!

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Ghetto edit:Oh, and anybody know the maximum distance nBSG can jump and how much time it takes to calculate said jump? For the jump ITSELF they pretty much win by default because their speed is essentially infinite but if the jump distance is low/the calculation time is high enough they might very well be even slower than Trek once it averages out.
Last edited by Batman on 2010-06-06 08:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Did you even put any fucking thought into this? Star Wars vessels can achieve FTL speeds that all except the Galactica would faint at, and even then I'm not sure. Unless this is, as someone said, a STL one, but I don't believe it's so clear there.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

If it's STL I don't see the need to distinguish between the Falcon and a Corellian Corvette.The speed limit for both is c, the only difference is how fast they can GET there. And as per ANH the MF actually isn't all that hot on sublight acceleration in-universe.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Batman wrote:If it's STL I don't see the need to distinguish between the Falcon and a Corellian Corvette.The speed limit for both is c, the only difference is how fast they can GET there. And as per ANH the MF actually isn't all that hot on sublight acceleration in-universe.
I don't think you know how racing works. If two cars have a speed limit of 300km/h, but one takes 40s and the other takes 30s to get there, the one with faster acceleration will win.
LordOfWolves
Redshirt

Post by LordOfWolves »

Ok...ok...let me clarify. Dumb n00b is dumb, hurr!

It's a sprint race ("point A to point B"), STL for the most part. (In "SDN dummy talk:" fastest sublight)

No, there are no weapons (because we all know that's how the Imperium plays dirty: by using it's superior weaponry to turn the other racers into mulch). It wouldn't be fair because some of the ships (like the "Serenity") don't have standard weapons, and thus would have to rely on their speed to outrun the enemy barrages. Plus, armor would become an issue in that case.

I swear, I really need to stop being such a n00b and lurk moar...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What do you mean 'STL for the most part'? What does that mean? Can ships use their FTL or not?

Is this a course in the middle of nowhere, between two well-known positions, etc?
LordOfWolves
Redshirt

Post by LordOfWolves »

Stark wrote:What do you mean 'STL for the most part'? What does that mean? Can ships use their FTL or not?

Is this a course in the middle of nowhere, between two well-known positions, etc?
What I mean is that the ships can use their FTL drives like NOS in "Need For Speed:" It can get them going in a snap, but they have to use it wisely as it's limited (or, at the very least, permitted on a restricted basis, such as trying to widen or close the lead, trying to pass another racer, getting extra 'oomph' for powering through a turn (not that there will be a whole lot of those...), etc.).

The course? I'm thinking from Kasshyyk (sp?) to...Courosanct (sp?). Seems far enough, if you think about it.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

LordOfWolves wrote:
The course? I'm thinking from Kasshyyk (sp?) to...Courosanct (sp?). Seems far enough, if you think about it.
Kashyyyk to Coruscant? The crew of the Serenity would likely die of starvation. :roll:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Vote 1 BC-304.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

LordOfWolves wrote:What I mean is that the ships can use their FTL drives like NOS in "Need For Speed:" It can get them going in a snap, but they have to use it wisely as it's limited (or, at the very least, permitted on a restricted basis, such as trying to widen or close the lead, trying to pass another racer, getting extra 'oomph' for powering through a turn (not that there will be a whole lot of those...), etc.).

These rules are nonsensical. How can a race be mostly STL (leaving FTL heavily restricted) for a race across a significant part of interstellar space. None of the crews could possibly survive the voyage without FTL, as those voyages would take thousands of years (the crews survival would hinge on their ships ability to accelerate to a hair under the speed of light, to such a tau factor that they experience very little time compared to an outside observer).

I'm confused why you think that Serenity is a contender. It doesn't have an FTL and it really is a piece of junk. There was a whole episode of Firefly devoted to the ship catastrophically failing, nearly resulting in Mal's death. That the ship still flies is because Kaylee is exceptionally good with engineering band-aids.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Stark wrote:
Batman wrote:If it's STL I don't see the need to distinguish between the Falcon and a Corellian Corvette.The speed limit for both is c, the only difference is how fast they can GET there. And as per ANH the MF actually isn't all that hot on sublight acceleration in-universe.
I don't think you know how racing works. If two cars have a speed limit of 300km/h, but one takes 40s and the other takes 30s to get there, the one with faster acceleration will win.
Assuming the race ENDS after 30 seconds.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

LordOfWolves wrote:
Stark wrote:What do you mean 'STL for the most part'? What does that mean? Can ships use their FTL or not?

What I mean is that the ships can use their FTL drives like NOS in "Need For Speed:" It can get them going in a snap, but they have to use it wisely as it's limited (or, at the very least, permitted on a restricted basis, such as trying to widen or close the lead, trying to pass another racer, getting extra 'oomph' for powering through a turn (not that there will be a whole lot of those...), etc.).

I don't think you understand how interstellar travel works.

And no, Batman, if two cars take different times to reach the same maximum speed, it doesn't matter how long the race is. You do understand that slower acceleration means the faster car will be outpacing the slower one from the get-go, right, and that by the time they're both at equal speeds there will be a gap between them, that cannot be closed since they're both at their 'maximum' speeds?
Rama
Redshirt

Post by Rama »

Coruscant to Kashyyk? You're looking at a 32,000 light year straight line journey at best. How could the OP even propose a somewhat decent STL race across a quarter of a Galaxy when the majority of the crew would have starved to death in the first quarter of the first year of the first century of the first millennium out of thirty others?

What, are the ships just going to float the rest of the way?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Stark wrote: And no, Batman, if two cars take different times to reach the same maximum speed, it doesn't matter how long the race is. You do understand that slower acceleration means the faster car will be outpacing the slower one from the get-go, right, and that by the time they're both at equal speeds there will be a gap between them, that cannot be closed since they're both at their 'maximum' speeds?
If and when ALL that matters is their respective acceleration and peak speed. Which ISN'T the case in an ACTUAL car race. I happily concede that the one with the lower acceleration loses IN THEORY, but YOU brought up actual RACES :D
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ghost Rider wrote:To determine this just pull out what is the best IoM speed(ignoring the variety of differences and just try to calculate raw speed of said vessel) and compare it to some of SW better mid range or MF speeds and there's our winner.
There's like some 10,000+ gee stuff floating around in novels. Though at the same time there is some single digit gee stuff as well. :lol:
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Batman wrote:If it's STL I don't see the need to distinguish between the Falcon and a Corellian Corvette.The speed limit for both is c, the only difference is how fast they can GET there.
Only if both ships can accelerate infinitely. Realistically the winner of a long race would probably be the ship with the highest delta V (available change in velocity from its initial velocity). Assuming realistic rocketry this would come down to a combination of fuel efficiency and ratio of the mass of the fuel to the mass of the rest of the ship. Assuming some magic self-powering propellantless drive, it would probably come down to which ship's engines will break down last.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Here is how I'd rank them,

1) Millennium Falcon
2) Tantive IV
3) nBSG
3) IoM
4) TOS Enterprise (If they managed to reach to the center of the galaxy in only a matter of hours(?) then they are a contender)

Everyone else will immediately quit since they do not plan to die\run out of fuel before they finish the race.

But if they have to stick to STL for most of the journey then they'd all quit because of the sheer stupidity of the race. This doesn't take into account that other than the SW participants the rest would not know how to complete the race due to being in an unfamiliar galaxy.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

LordOfWolves wrote:What I mean is that the ships can use their FTL drives like NOS in "Need For Speed:" It can get them going in a snap, but they have to use it wisely as it's limited (or, at the very least, permitted on a restricted basis, such as trying to widen or close the lead, trying to pass another racer, getting extra 'oomph' for powering through a turn (not that there will be a whole lot of those...), etc.).

Dude... are you retarded? Use it as NOS? :roll:

NOS adds a power boost to an engine, but it is still part of that engine system.

In almost every ship you have put in this race, the sub-light and lightspeed engines are two separate entities.

On top of that... how much of their 'NOS' can they use? 100%, 50%? How long can the 'boost' last?

And limited FTL? From Kashyyyk to Coruscant? I hope they have relief drivers. :lol:

Fuck... this has got to be one of the dumbest threads since... like yesterday. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I'd give it to Tantive IV in a slower-than-light race. If I recall correctly, the Falcon was getting outpaced by a Star Destroyer in Empire Strikes Back in linear acceleration at one point, and the Tantive IV was doing a pretty good job of running away from a Star Destroyer until the Star Destroyer shot a few holes in her in A New Hope. Besides, that huge bank of thrusters on the back has to be for something. The Millennium Falcon may be able to do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs, but if hyperdrive is off limits, she seems nothing to write home about.

EDIT: "Fastest Imperium of Man (presumably 40k?) ship" might take it, simply on the basis of the Imperium being huge as hell and having examples of ultra-rare technology that can't possibly be taken as representative of its abilities in general. "Fastest Imperium of Man ship of which there are at least one hundred in service at any time" would be a much more reasonable measuring stick.