What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Lord Pounder »

Just started reading Starship Troopers again. I had been trying to read the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley but they became so predictable that I have to give up by the point where he becomes a vampire out of sheer boredom.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Lord Pounder wrote:Just started reading Starship Troopers again. I had been trying to read the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley but they became so predictable that I have to give up by the point where he becomes a vampire out of sheer boredom.
That book is both short and has great re-read value. I've probably read it 4-5 times over a period of a couple of years.

I've started re-reading Lies My Teacher Told Me (the updated version) again. It should be interesting, since I've forgotten most of the new stuff the author added in.

I still do plan on reading War at the Wall Street Journal.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK. I'm now officially loving Stross' Merchant Princes. I am about to finish book one and just ordered the rest of the series from the library. I think this will be the first time that I read a whole series without interruption from other books since I first read Zelazny... And that was only because it was in an omnibus.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I've read the first three of the Merchant Princes books, along with most of the rest of Stross' books. It was The Jennifer Morgue that really caught me, modern day spy action with lovecraftian nightmares, powerpoint presentations that can actually destroy your soul...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, I love the Atrocity Archives arc. I tried some of his actual sci-fi stuff, but that just shat me. Halting State was cool though.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

Though I rarely read fiction (well, science fiction short stories are something I'm always re-reading, but other than that... ) I've always enjoyed Kurt Vonnegut's work.

Right now, I'm stuck on Mother Night. If you are familiar with the book, you'll find it interesting to know whom I borrowed it from.
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Right now I'm reading Emma Goldman's My Disillusionment in Russia.

Very raw storytelling.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Currently reading C.L Werner's Brunner the Bounty Hunter omnibus. Quite a cool character, and I'm hoping he comes up against some Chaos scum soon, as that's what Werner is particularly strong at writing. I'm still reading the HM Dragon series as well, but they seem to be a bit like gold dust in local book stores.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Unseen Accademicals on Audiobook. My sister rather likes to listen to them as well.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Up to book 4 of The Merchant Princes series now. It's starting to get a little unwieldy, but the bloodiness of the last act of Book 3 will have hopefully tidied up some of hte looser the narrative threads.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm currently working my way through the Harry Potter books again. Up now is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Last edited by JME2 on 2010-06-08 11:39pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

JME2 wrote:I'm currently working my way through the Harry Potter books again. Up now is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Good deal. I've been planning to go through the whole series at some point myself, but I can never bring myself to read Books 1-4 anymore. They just feel so different.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
JME2 wrote:I'm currently working my way through the Harry Potter books again. Up now is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Good deal. I've been planning to go through the whole series at some point myself, but I can never bring myself to read Books 1-4 anymore. They just feel so different.
I hear you. Yes, the core elements of Rowling's style remain consistent, but Sorcerer's Stone and Deathly Hallows are really two completely different books.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

about five different books, Malus Darkblade omnibus, city of bones-Connely, cemetary dance- preston/child, The closers-Connely, Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader (volume I)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Slowly but surely making my way through Gordon S. Wood's Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic 1789-1815.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Finished Empire of Liberty. I've moved on to lighter fare. Went through Horse and His Boy in the space of an early evening and now, with some irony, I've gone from Narnia to "anti-Narnia" by starting Northern Lights (or Golden Compass if you wish), as I've checked out the entire His Dark Materials trilogy from the library.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Going through my collection of The Black Company books, currently on the second-to-last one. It'd been awhile, so I've forgotten how much it drags this late in the series, but it's still good reading. Spoiler
Also forgot how much of a crazy bitch Soulcatcher is, and that Cook should've just let her stay dead from the first book.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Re-Reading: "Diplomacy", "Clash of Civilizations" & "Rise and Fall of the great powers 1500-2000" as well as reading excerpts from "World politics: Trend and transformation" for a project I let dally too long.

Also started reading "After Dark" by Murakami today, i've almost finished it. I kept hearing about him, and I have to say he really is an excellent fine novelist. I'm wondering what next to read of his. (I'd prefer shorter stuff).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I finished the Merchant Princes series.

It got a bit "eh" by the end and wasn't really wrapped up as well as I would have liked. That said, it had an ending worthy a Shep wet dream.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am going to start reading either Friday Night Lights or Tamarind Mem, anyone have an opinion on either?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm working on two bits of fictions, or will be today.

First, I'm reading through Brian Aldiss's Helliconia Trilogy. I've read Helliconia Spring so far, and loved it. I reminds me of the best of Arthur C. Clarke's fiction - a book where the characters and plot are artfully developed to explored a certain concept/setting. I've got Helliconia Summer and Helliconia Winter on library hold, and they should be available either today or tomorrow. If the series holds up, I'll buy the Omnibus edition that comes out later this year.

Second, I've got The Passage by Justin Cronin due today. I've heard good things about it (it has been getting a lot of hype) from reviewers I trust.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

As a throw back to the Mommsen discussion, Mommsen is the reason I learned German. I was not displeased with what I was able to read before my German turned to shit.

I'm currently reading Rise of the Pasdaran, a monograph about the Revolutionary Guard's domestic influence inside Iran, then I'm going to read Baqer Moin's biography of Khomeini.

After that I'm either going to read Lost to the West by Lars Brownsworth, a popular history of the Byzantine Empire, Hawk and the Dove by Nicholas Thompson a biography of Paul Nitze and George Kennan comparing their lives over the Cold War, or Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India by Lawrence James and India Gandhi by Ramachara Guha back to back.

And in between all that I'm going to try and fit in Foucault's Discipline and Punish. My Girlfriend bought it for me ages ago and I just haven't gotten around to reading it, yet.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Finished Northern Lights/Golden Compass, on to Subtle Knife

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

spaceviking wrote:I am going to start reading either Friday Night Lights or Tamarind Mem, anyone have an opinion on either?
Friday Night Lights is a great non-fiction piece and also one of the most stone-cold depressing reads out there. That said, I cannot recommend you read it enough.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm into the last 1/3 of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It's always fun rereading the series and being able to identify the clues Rowling planted in advance for her myth arc.