The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy One Up

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ellindsey wrote:For slow fission reactions in uranium, yes. There was always the possibility that some odd change in physics would cause fusion to work differently, or maybe prompt neutron reactions in weapon-grade fission material would be different or something. Unlikely, but it was still possible. Good to have it ruled out.
...the physics that makes prompt neutron reactions work in weapon-grade material is the same as the physics that makes fission reactors work. On the atomic level, it's the same thing happening; all the changes are a function of how much of it you do.

Fusion working differently I could maybe see, but I'm dubious of that too, because (once again) the fundamental physics is the same. Fusion works because of how nuclei work; if deuterium didn't fuse, plutonium shouldn't fission.*

*Was so tempted to say "fizz..."
Jeremy wrote:True. An Orion engine will enable a ground launch of a very massive payload though. So it could be a staged system and left in Earth orbit.
I suppose it is most useful for an emergency situation or an interplanetary warship.
Oh yeah, it works great for that.

It kind of makes sense to use Orion to launch thousands of tons of material into orbit, but if you're going to be using an ion engine for the rest of the trip anyway, I'm not sure it makes sense to lug the pusher plate along with you.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

Hmm, I dunno if it's important, but the 'leak' mentioned was from that guy, Bradley Manning. If so, interesting, I wasn't expecting that.

Good chapter, although I did feel that the small confrontation between angel and daemon was too quick, I hope more like it gets written.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I almost wonder if Stuart is dropping hints that Heaven will become Hell. After all, as Bush pointed out in Armageddon, there's no reason for time to be linear in this other "universe". If Heaven and Hell are just two different points in time for the same spatial universe, Hell might have been created by human nuclear bombardment of Heaven, or some version of that story.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'm sort of surprised they allowed Memnon and Lemuel to be in the same room together.

As for the Orion engine vs ion engine debate, could one just use two Orion launches (one for the payload module) and another one for the ion engine, and then assemble in orbit? (Incidentally, I'm trying to write an AH story where there's actual military applications for a crash Orion program, but I digress).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Panaka
Redshirt

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Up

Post by Panaka »

Stuart wrote:Suddenly the voice he had first heard in the deserts of Iraq whispered in his ear. That is enough. They need know no more. The end of your story is still far away. With those words in his mind, Memnon fell silent.
The main question from that chapter: Who's pulling Memnon's strings ?
'Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death , I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing.'
R011
Youngling

Post by R011 »

Oh, my!
DAVE AAA
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Jusu wrote:Hmm, I dunno if it's important, but the 'leak' mentioned was from that guy, Bradley Manning. If so, interesting, I wasn't expecting that.
Well... I'm dubious of this one. There's a huge difference between the Iraq War and the Salvation War, culturally. The Iraq War is a somewhat questionable proposition as far as strategy goes; sane people can ask whether we should be fighting it. Sane people can't ask the same about the Salvation War.

I think we'd be seeing a lot less antiwar sentiment in the Salvation War, which in turn would make the position of something like Wikileaks weaker, and the odds of someone leaking footage they consider damning lower. No one's going to care about gun camera footage of an attack helicopter shooting up a bunch of demons, except maybe to cheer. People do care about gun camera footage of a bunch of reporters getting shot, and there's a much greater chance of it being viewed as a crime that needs to be reported and addressed... and leaked to the public if it isn't addressed.
Good chapter, although I did feel that the small confrontation between angel and daemon was too quick, I hope more like it gets written.
In context it was exactly the right length: long enough for someone to step in and squash it because they haven't got time right now.
Jeremy
Jedi Master

Post by Jeremy »

Pelranius wrote:As for the Orion engine vs ion engine debate, could one just use two Orion launches (one for the payload module) and another one for the ion engine, and then assemble in orbit?

Sure, heck you could lift a whole bunch of stuff to be assembled. Do you have the money or launch locations for it though?
(Incidentally, I'm trying to write an AH story where there's actual military applications for a crash Orion program, but I digress).
Aliens come, alien artifacts are detected, an asteroid is headed for Earth, we want to get some big machinery into orbit.
A giant space mirror or solar collectors would work. The russkies get a base on the moon and need to be stopped? Venusians/Martians attack. Earth's Doppelganger tries to invade.
• Only the dead have seen the end of war.
• "The only really bright side to come out of all this has to be Dino-rides in Hell." ~ Ilya Muromets
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

They're using lumberjack grade chainsaws in Maion's surgery? Seems a bit.. imprecise, but with their regenerative powers, I guess it doesn't really matter.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

I wanted to say thanks for the link, Simon, but I first clicked and went to read it. Between the rampant idiocy and the photos of bullet damage, I have both lost brain cells and my sleep for the night.

On the bright side, I shall stop bullet rounds with my head from now on.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Surlethe wrote:I almost wonder if Stuart is dropping hints that Heaven will become Hell. After all, as Bush pointed out in Armageddon, there's no reason for time to be linear in this other "universe". If Heaven and Hell are just two different points in time for the same spatial universe, Hell might have been created by human nuclear bombardment of Heaven, or some version of that story.
That seems unlikely, since the event that made Hell the mess it is (the supervolcano exploding) is fairly well documented.
UnderAGreySky wrote:I wanted to say thanks for the link, Simon, but I first clicked and went to read it. Between the rampant idiocy and the photos of bullet damage, I have both lost brain cells and my sleep for the night.

I am truly sorry, but... you asked. Though now that I think about it, there's only one question.

How did Abigor get a look at a HoSed thread? Is he a member...?
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Simon wrote:How did Abigor get a look at a HoSed thread? Is he a member...?
It's in Parting Shots these days. Still, great idea there...
"Guys, don't do that"
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Simon_Jester wrote:
UnderAGreySky wrote:I wanted to say thanks for the link, Simon, but I first clicked and went to read it. Between the rampant idiocy and the photos of bullet damage, I have both lost brain cells and my sleep for the night.

I am truly sorry, but... you asked. Though now that I think about it, there's only one question.

How did Abigor get a look at a HoSed thread? Is he a member...?
Simple. He could've read the thread while it was still in SLAM. Or he could've stumbled on it in Parting Shots, which is visible to all.

That, or the head of a sovereign otherworldly government is, indeed, a member of SD.Net in the Salvation-verse.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ah. I didn't realize Parting Shots was visible to all, though looking at its original stated purpose, I guess that's kind of the point of having it. Thank you.
remus2
Redshirt

Post by remus2 »

Marvelous story. Been lurking here since about Armagedon?’s half (-you may be the reason for my account, so I would grant you the member magnet achievement, where it in my power). Always was interested in tech vs. magic, but culture shocked mutants and tech is just as great

about the chainsaws… please don’t let them run out of power while cutting. I have some issues with low speed turning chainsaws and joints - always gave me the creeps.
But aren’t disc cutters more in theme with the doctors?
Good god!

I thought the bloodsucking bug was a really (good) failed troll at first. Some topics are golden entertainment full of fail and wish fulfillment.

Now...
I am confused and lost almost all motivation to do anything except to stare at a blank screen.

He is truly a master, not in trollin’ , but in sheer reading induced psyhological shock trauma and faking stupidity at the highest level.
“The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant”

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here. Now we're finishing this deal"

"And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling. So why don't we just ignore each other till we go away?"
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What I love about that thread is how I pointed out that he was most likely not giving details because he'd get caught in more blatant lies.. and then he did exactly that for us by claiming to have done his 'ballistics tests' when he was only 15. In an indoor range no less when they would REALLY love you deflecting bullets into the side walls instead of the backstop. But god was it amusing, SDN hasn't had a troll of that insane a lack of caliber in a while.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I tried to make a fake profile page for Abigor using the monster from 'The Satan Pit' for an avatar, but my photoshop-fu is weak.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Hofner1962
Redshirt

Post by Hofner1962 »

Or Abaddon from Torchwood may have been better - though probably too large.

Emerson33260
Youngling

Post by Emerson33260 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:SDN hasn't had a troll of that insane a lack of caliber in a while.
A different slant on the term "small bore".
"I have never had anything to do with duels since. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me now I would go to that man and take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet spot and kill him" -Mark Twain
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Sea Skimmer wrote:What I love about that thread is how I pointed out that he was most likely not giving details because he'd get caught in more blatant lies.. and then he did exactly that for us by claiming to have done his 'ballistics tests' when he was only 15. In an indoor range no less when they would REALLY love you deflecting bullets into the side walls instead of the backstop. But god was it amusing, SDN hasn't had a troll of that insane a lack of caliber in a while.
I really cracked up when Bugsy claimed to have fired an AN-94. I think he also turned up on TVtropes where he got handed his head as well but I can't confirm that.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I tried to make a fake profile page for Abigor using the monster from 'The Satan Pit' for an avatar, but my photoshop-fu is weak.
It would be easier to download and edit the HTML. Maybe something like this? Pardon the bad jokes in some fields, but it was faster to search and replace than cleanly delete.

Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:I really cracked up when Bugsy claimed to have fired an AN-94. I think he also turned up on TVtropes where he got handed his head as well but I can't confirm that.
For the sake of context, why is this particularly incredible* and hilarious? I mean, almost everything he said was incredible and hilarious (or incredible and disturbing), but what was so special about that?

*In the sense of "impossible to believe, outrageously so"
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

IIRC, the AN-94 is essentially a brand-new Russian assualt rifle that is currently only fielded by Russian Special Forces.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Stuart wrote:I really cracked up when Bugsy claimed to have fired an AN-94. I think he also turned up on TVtropes where he got handed his head as well but I can't confirm that.
For the sake of context, why is this particularly incredible* and hilarious? I mean, almost everything he said was incredible and hilarious (or incredible and disturbing), but what was so special about that?

*In the sense of "impossible to believe, outrageously so"
From what I gleaned from 'Net sources, the AN-94's an advanced assault rifle design which the designer wanted to be the successor to the Kalashnikov series. But the guy forgot two of the things that made the Kalashnikovs so popular in the first place--cost and simple durability. The AN-94 is several times more expensive and hard to maintain than an AK. Thus, it never went into wide production or distribution.

The chance that a civilian has one, a non-Russian civilian at that, is slim to bullshit.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Sophie
Redshirt

Post by Sophie »

Hi, i've been lurking here for a while, just joined so i could direct your attention to this :-
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 023164.pdf

The Pulsed inductive thruster. It's one of a couple of newer ion engines which don't have electrodes, so the degradation isn't as much of an issue. Although if you were hooking a nuclear reactor up to it, then VASIMR type Magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters also have potential, since you have the power to use the damn things.
Now available for the N64, in pineapple flavor!