GRIMDARK: WH40k Dark Millenium Online

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: GRIMDARK: WH40k Dark Millenium Online

Post by Srelex »

No Guard? Just one planet? That's a tad disappointing. I'll guess we'll have to hope for expansion packs with space battles, then.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

There are guard forces, and we've seen what looks like a techpriest character in play, but you're not going to be able to grab a guardsman and run around shooting at Space Marines. Would you really want to? It'd be terrible, so no matter what they were never going to be independant. This is a fine decision--the Guardsmen are little more than Cultists working for the Space Marines anyway, you're not going to get to use tanks.

If they include Guards it would be under the banner of the Imperium of Man, and trying to balance them as an individual faction would be impossible. This way they can say "Space Marines are the main dudes," and offer a few non-marine characters (such as that techpriest or whatnot) to round them out.

Adding the guard would just imbalance the game. "Four playable factions" sounds much more like four individual factions. Laughably, GameTrailers' interview dealing with the game used video from the new Space Marine game--IE, ultramarines. So it's confusing in part because the media doesn't have a lot of answers and is filling in a lot of gaps wrong.

No playable nids, focus on four factions, guardsmen as fluff troops off to the side like cultists--those are all good decisions by my account. I'm sad that we may not have playable tanks, but I don't know if that includes trukks and other vehicles, because we do see motorcycles. Are those unplayable too? If we have playable motorcycles do we have playable trukks? Or will Orkz get some biker boyz as well?

I'd be okay with that. I'd prefer Trukkz and other mid-size squad vehicles as playable and controllable. No playable tanks could literally mean no playable tank or big 'siege units', but that barely-armed transports are okay. So like, Bikes and Rhinos being playable? That'd be what I hope. They don't need to do anything but I'd like the idea of piling into one and going for a ride to the front. However, I do understand why they may not want to design the environments to support free-roaming vehicle access. Not only would it shrink all distances, but it might lead to issues like getting stuck in weird areas, so while it'd be fun to use them freely in "battlefield" zones, I do understand if the rest of the time they're simply Busses that ship you cross zone.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I see what you mean, but I'd still like to play as a Kasrkin or something--Mahreens never really appealed to me that much. But oh well. As for tanks, I wonder if they couldn't simply split up control, like in some other games--e.g. one player is the driver, a gunner for each weapon, etc. That could open up all sorts of possibilities.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Srelex wrote:I see what you mean, but I'd still like to play as a Kasrkin or something--Mahreens never really appealed to me that much. But oh well. As for tanks, I wonder if they couldn't simply split up control, like in some other games--e.g. one player is the driver, a gunner for each weapon, etc. That could open up all sorts of possibilities.
Huge latency problems with that. Fine for FPS multiplayer architecture; not so fine for MMOs. It's doable, but it would require quite a bit of sacrifice in other areas (such as strict region-locked servers, which can split up clans/guilds and prevent Aussies from playing).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

vile mon-keigh, I desire the ability to travel the webways, and search out my destiny as an outcast before leveling up to join the brotherhood of the laughing god.

Then I will "Kiss" each and every one of you.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: Huge latency problems with that. Fine for FPS multiplayer architecture; not so fine for MMOs. It's doable, but it would require quite a bit of sacrifice in other areas (such as strict region-locked servers, which can split up clans/guilds and prevent Aussies from playing).
WoW has multi driver vehicles. The largest is the siege engine in IoC which has a driver and 3 gunners.

No issues.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: Huge latency problems with that. Fine for FPS multiplayer architecture; not so fine for MMOs. It's doable, but it would require quite a bit of sacrifice in other areas (such as strict region-locked servers, which can split up clans/guilds and prevent Aussies from playing).
WoW has multi driver vehicles. The largest is the siege engine in IoC which has a driver and 3 gunners.

No issues.
well at least on my realm/battlegroup Isle of Conquest is so laggy you can barely do anything (well at least was the last time I was there) regardless of where you are, but you're right that there's no special problems with the vehicle system lagwise.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Wow, a MMO actually made multi-user vehicles? Good for WoW! I know they're popular to shit on for being so cravenly corporate, but I like to see them following the money in such interesting ways. That's very good news--a proof of concept like that could be used in a game like this to much greater effect, especially if they shut out the howling masses for a moment to agree on making some instanced areas to house such vehicles. I'm all for open world events but don't instances help reduce lag somewhat?

I may be totally wrong. I simply assumed they did.

My biggest hope so far are that the 4 factions are still un-allied (even if that simply means they are started far enough apart that they don't battle often) and that melee is a bit freeform. I'd also love to drive those trukks and 'coptaz but I won't shed too many tears if that's cut.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Covenant wrote:Wow, a MMO actually made multi-user vehicles? Good for WoW! I know they're popular to shit on for being so cravenly corporate, but I like to see them following the money in such interesting ways. That's very good news--a proof of concept like that could be used in a game like this to much greater effect, especially if they shut out the howling masses for a moment to agree on making some instanced areas to house such vehicles. I'm all for open world events but don't instances help reduce lag somewhat?
Similar Vehicles are also in use at Wintergrasp (an "outdoors" (aka non-instanced) PvP area) and they work just as as fine as everything else, true Isle of Conquest(PvP "battleground"(read:instance)) and Ulduar (PvE raid instance) tend to have less lag then the main world (Wintergrasp is also close to Dalaran that's the main hub in Northrend) but players in vehicles don't suffer from that lag anymore then Mounted players (essentially a buff) or players on foot.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Covenant wrote:Wow, a MMO actually made multi-user vehicles? Good for WoW! I know they're popular to shit on for being so cravenly corporate, but I like to see them following the money in such interesting ways. That's very good news--a proof of concept like that could be used in a game like this to much greater effect, especially if they shut out the howling masses for a moment to agree on making some instanced areas to house such vehicles. I'm all for open world events but don't instances help reduce lag somewhat?

I may be totally wrong. I simply assumed they did.
They do, but one has to take into account where these events will happen. Wintergrasp for WoW takes place in a fucked up area, but they have limited the amount of people that can participate AND there are no more then 25 vehicles at most, so the strain is not nearly as evident.
My biggest hope so far are that the 4 factions are still un-allied (even if that simply means they are started far enough apart that they don't battle often) and that melee is a bit freeform. I'd also love to drive those trukks and 'coptaz but I won't shed too many tears if that's cut.
Fuck yes. Having more then Gud or Evul(Ugly or Cute as the flip side) as my faction choices would be nice fucking change
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

At least WAR dispensed with the 'Bad guys are ugly' side of things, but yeah, that's all too common.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Multi-user vehicles are doable in high-latency enviroments, since what you're doing is attatching the passenger players to the driver, and giving them some special powers they can fire from time to time. It should have no more trouble than the auto-follow feature, and it wouldn't need to deal with the following player's character, so it's even cheaper.
White Haven wrote:At least WAR dispensed with the 'Bad guys are ugly' side of things, but yeah, that's all too common.
I personally hated the whole "The Horde is evil" notion, specially when Blizzard seemed to cave in to it. All that character building and redemption of the Orcs in WC3 lost to the whine of fanboys. Besides, I think humans make excellent villians, we're so good at it.
unsigned
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Srelex wrote:Hmm. No sign of Eldar, Tau, or 'crons. I predict they'll shove those into expansions, for more moolah.
Admittedly it would be hard to do Necrons as a race. They are (on an individual level) faceless identical emotionless killing machines. Decent high end villians but not player charecters. Maybe a Pariah Class.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Oskuro wrote:Multi-user vehicles are doable in high-latency enviroments, since what you're doing is attatching the passenger players to the driver, and giving them some special powers they can fire from time to time. It should have no more trouble than the auto-follow feature, and it wouldn't need to deal with the following player's character, so it's even cheaper.
White Haven wrote:At least WAR dispensed with the 'Bad guys are ugly' side of things, but yeah, that's all too common.
I personally hated the whole "The Horde is evil" notion, specially when Blizzard seemed to cave in to it. All that character building and redemption of the Orcs in WC3 lost to the whine of fanboys. Besides, I think humans make excellent villians, we're so good at it.
You mean the poorly done "We're not really evil just misunderstood Klingon-alikes" bullshit they did? It's totally a cop-out for Blizzard; it's entirely possible to have villians that are sympathetic but, you know, still villians. Blizzard just proved that they are unwilling to have a POV character who isn't a good guy so they totally fucked over the awesome "Pirate Barbarian" image of the first two games in exchange for a lame attempt at noble savage.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride