Spaceship race! (Which ship is fastest?)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who'd win in a friendly race?

2009 "Enterprise"
2%
"Serenity"
2%
TOS "Enterprise"
No votes
TNG "Enterprise"
4%
"Voyager"
No votes
"Millennium Falcon"
65%
nBSG "Galactica"
4%
"Tantive IV"
15%
Fastest Imperium ship
9%

Total votes: 54

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Re: Spaceship race! (Which ship is fastest?)

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Oskuro wrote:Great, a fucking idiot. I was simply offering information on the capabilities of a Firefly ship. Wich part of that can't you understand, you retarded moron?
Are you for real? Like, seriously? You gave absolutely no content or information in your post, admitted that you didn't actually know anything, AND you have the balls to call someone ELSE a fucking idiot?

Here's a clue, jackass, you don't get to talk shit unless you actually have an argument at all. You've given nothing. Hell, you haven't even given any information at all about the feature of the Serenity that you claim might give it the edge over the other competitors that you know nothing about. Saying that Serenity has something called a "full burn" is meaningless. That encodes zero information. What is a "full burn"? Fuck, you haven't even defined the term. If you haven't even defined the term, how can you say anything at all? You've offered NO information about the capabilities of a Firefly ship.

No, I think it's completely safe to say that you've dropped your pants and left a steaming, coiling pile of ignorance on the ground, and now you think acting like a junior high child can turn shit into sugar. How about instead of you being a dip, how about you either attach a supported figure to, well, anything or you go slink off this thread until the next time we need to crown the Pope of Fools?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Enigma wrote:Here is how I'd rank them,

1) Millennium Falcon
2) Tantive IV
3) nBSG
3) IoM
4) TOS Enterprise (If they managed to reach to the center of the galaxy in only a matter of hours(?) then they are a contender)

Everyone else will immediately quit since they do not plan to die\run out of fuel before they finish the race.

But if they have to stick to STL for most of the journey then they'd all quit because of the sheer stupidity of the race. This doesn't take into account that other than the SW participants the rest would not know how to complete the race due to being in an unfamiliar galaxy.
You shouldn't count out the Enterprise from the new StarTrek. After all, it went from Earth to Vulcan (some 16 lightyears) in under an hour. If you take the movie at face value, it did it in a few minutes. That's damn impressive.
But even then, they are slower than TOS Enterprise. They managed to go from relatively close to the edge of the galaxy to the center in a matter of hours (correct me if I am wrong). If nuTrek ENT managed 16ly in a matter of minutes (let's say 5 minutes) that would still make the 32,000ly trip done in about a week.

Then again that is if the race was done in FTL. I agree with everyone that the "FTL boost" idea along with the race itself is stupid. No-one presses a button and suddenly the ship is in overdrive! Plus the nature of some of the ship's FTL drives do not do "boosts". :)

The Neptune to Earth race is a better idea but the ENT would not be making it in two hours time as (from googling) the distance from Neptune to Earth is around 4 light hours. Doing it in two wouldn't it make the ENT travel at twice the speed of light? Looking around I see that full impulse at least for TOS ships was 0.5c. That would make it an 8 hour race?

In that case, Trek ships would be dead last whereas I'd still put the MF as being the winner and the rest irrelevant.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Enigma wrote:But even then, they are slower than TOS Enterprise. They managed to go from relatively close to the edge of the galaxy to the center in a matter of hours (correct me if I am wrong). If nuTrek ENT managed 16ly in a matter of minutes (let's say 5 minutes) that would still make the 32,000ly trip done in about a week.
Perhaps. That was StarTrek V right? There are some unknowns there since we don't know how close to the galactic core they were in the first place, I don't believe (it's been a while since I've seen STV and it didn't exactly stick). I suppose they must have made the trip to Earth to the desert planet though in a reasonable timeframe. However, several million times the speed of light is typically must faster than most Trek ships that aren't under the power of a lumpy headed weirdo, which definitely puts it up there with much of the examples of speed the TOS Enterprise did and much faster than anything seen since (it would have been trivial for either the TOS Enterprise or the NuTrek Enterprise to fly back from the delta quadrant in a few months based on what we've seen, something that would have taken the Voyager seventy odd years).

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

The Tria was cranking along at .999 the speed of light, are there any ships that can travel closer to the speed of light? I think it would win in a sublight contest.

Edit: from ST:A the return

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

We know Star wars ships can reach high fractional c speeds too. The question is how long did the Tria take to GET there. Because if it was more than 2.5 hours or so the Wars ships have the acceleration advantage.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Batman wrote:We know Star wars ships can reach high fractional c speeds too. The question is how long did the Tria take to GET there. Because if it was more than 2.5 hours or so the Wars ships have the acceleration advantage.
Are we still assuming the comical 32,000 light year STL race? Because if so I think maximum possible delta V is more likely to matter than rate of acceleration.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

As the 32,000 ly race WITHOUT FTL was pretty much discarded as patently idiotic I was working with the Earth-Neptune race proposed later in this thread.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Why is this thread still alive? The idea of races between starships always seemed dumb to me anyway, but this manages to invent a new criteria that can only be the product of a special kind of dumb. Nothing is really quantified, and what is, makes the race so poorly judged, we may as well just turn this into a "Who can outlive the others" contest instead.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Junghalli wrote:
Batman wrote:We know Star wars ships can reach high fractional c speeds too. The question is how long did the Tria take to GET there. Because if it was more than 2.5 hours or so the Wars ships have the acceleration advantage.
Are we still assuming the comical 32,000 light year STL race? Because if so I think maximum possible delta V is more likely to matter than rate of acceleration.

We can't possibly be.
But I can't think of an example of an Ancient ship accelerating so Herr Batman is right
As usual...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Are you for real? Like, seriously? You gave absolutely no content or information in your post, admitted that you didn't actually know anything, AND you have the balls to call someone ELSE a fucking idiot?
Oh, for the love of funk, I wasn't making an argument about the superiority of the Firefly, just reminding people that it has a nifty turbo boost of sorts that might help in sublight races. Notice how I specifically say it is only useful in sublight races? Also notice how I'm just contributing information on the Serenity because I don't know how the other vessels perform at sublight (not that surprising since those shows usually focus on FTL performance)?

If you were expecting me to argue that the Serenity is superior, too bad for you, I was just adding information, just as I could've added "It has a nifty paint job" so those actually interested in debating wich ship is superior have more information.

I call you an idiot because apparently you understood I was claming the Serenity was somehow superior to other ships, and then pounced on me and tried to rip me a new one. Well, too bad, you fail at understanding posts, and thus you are an idiot, go try to pick a fight with someone who is actually trying to fight you, instead of preying on those you think you can tear appart easily, imbecile.

Edit: Oh, and if you want me to try and quantify the power of the full burn thing, or explain how it works, ask for quantification instead of attacking my ignorance of how other ships perform at sublight, you imbecile. And nice spin-doctoring on the reasons for attacking me, by the way, it is lack of information now? What'll be next? Poor spelling?
unsigned
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Oskuro wrote:Oh, for the love of funk, I wasn't making an argument about the superiority of the Firefly, just reminding people that it has a nifty turbo boost of sorts that might help in sublight races. Notice how I specifically say it is only useful in sublight races? Also notice how I'm just contributing information on the Serenity because I don't know how the other vessels perform at sublight (not that surprising since those shows usually focus on FTL performance)?

If you were expecting me to argue that the Serenity is superior, too bad for you, I was just adding information, just as I could've added "It has a nifty paint job" so those actually interested in debating wich ship is superior have more information.

I call you an idiot because apparently you understood I was claming the Serenity was somehow superior to other ships, and then pounced on me and tried to rip me a new one. Well, too bad, you fail at understanding posts, and thus you are an idiot, go try to pick a fight with someone who is actually trying to fight you, instead of preying on those you think you can tear appart easily, imbecile.
You are a complete moron. You don't get it do you? You haven't added ANYTHING to the discussion. Nothing whatsoever. At no point did you add information about the capabilities of the Serenity, because you didn't define anything. You only threw out some terms and are now acting like a self-righteous asshat because you are being required to actually add some substance to your meaningless post.

Again, who the hell CARES about the turbo if there is no quantification? There are race cars that can get a nitrous boost, but merely mentioning the nitrous boost means absolutely nothing without numbers attached to it. Particularly when the race car might be in a race with jet fighters in this case, for all you know. No quantification means empty content here.

That doesn't bug me though. What gets me is how stupid you are that you are tossing around insults when you START with stating your position comes from complete ignorance. Seriously, are you five? How much of a retard to do have to be to get highly outraged when you ADMITTED that you know absolutely nothing about the discussion?
Edit: Oh, and if you want me to try and quantify the power of the full burn thing, or explain how it works, ask for quantification instead of attacking my ignorance of how other ships perform at sublight, you imbecile. And nice spin-doctoring on the reasons for attacking me, by the way, it is lack of information now? What'll be next? Poor spelling?
Every post I made to you has been a demand for quantification, jackass! That you don't get this makes you stupider than your user icon. So how about you put some numbers on things, or you bow out? I doubt you can, which I'm sure is why you are resorting to being a petty little grub, but at least try, for pete's sake.