Visiting the Varyag in SF (56k warning)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

starslayer
Jedi Knight

Visiting the Varyag in SF (56k warning)

Post by starslayer »

On Thursday, I went to see the Варяг (hey Russian members: where's the stress? First or second syllable?) on her visit to San Francisco with a friend of mine. We were damned lucky we got there at 9:30, a half hour before the ship opened; the line was already half a block long when we got there, and was something like 10 times that long when we got off around noon. We didn't even get on the ship until past 11:00. And of course, I forgot the camera, so we had to use my friend's Droid; apologies for the crappy quality on some of the pictures.

The view from the pier just after we arrived; you can see the Russian naval ensign flying off the stern, with the naval jack on the bow. When we got off, this entire section was filled with people waiting to get on. I don't think any of them did.

The missile tubes from alongside, while we were waiting to get on the ship.

The superstructure from alongside.

From another angle.

And her radar tower.

Another angle.

Not really sure what the boat in the foreground is for; maybe the harbor launch or something?

The ship's band was pretty good; they had a nice twist on Калинка.

While waiting in line near the gangplank; they only let 30 of us on at a time.

Not quite sure what all the deck fixtures amidships are, nor the tower in the background, though I think that's another radar.

The forward twin turret, with the Bay Bridge and part of the waterfront in the background.

This warning on the side of the turret reads something like "Do not come near the turret while in operation - DANGER!"

The Russian naval jack on the bow.

This was on the foredeck in front of the turret; I'm unable to translate the label, although I my dictionary tells me "беречься" means "to beware" or something like that, and "буксир" can be a tugboat, tug, or tow rope.

Detail of the port-side forward missile tubes.

This was taken in the port-side corridor under the missile tubes; note the helpful labeling on the life preserver, just in case you forgot what ship you were on.

The view from near the aft deck looking forward. The track system on the deck is for ferrying missiles to the tubes and such.

Not sure what the purpose of this gun is. ASW? AA work? Flares?

These were pretty much everywhere along the sides of the ship, except on the stern and bow. The center label says, "Throw overboard and jerk attached line" I believe, while the surrounding text says, "ДЛЯ ??ИБЕ?ЕИЙ ? ДЕЙСТВИЕ." In English, it becomes "for (something) (something) actions/operations." According to my SWAG, these are the ship's life rafts, something semi-supported by the writing on their sides, which said, "ОДОБРЕН МОРСКИМ СУДОХОДСТВА," or "approved for maritime shipping."

The view astern, with the ship's helicopter and the Russian naval ensign. The hatch reads, "DANGER - doors (well, roofs/covers) open automatically."

The case for one of the port-side mooring lines (I think). I'm on the stairs in the hooded sweatshirt.

One view of the ship's helicopter; the little tag inside the cockpit says "remove cover ПВД." A quick Google search gave ПВД аs "Приемник воздушного давления." I'm not sure how to translate that. The little insignia on the door reads "ЗА ДАЛЬНЕМ ПОХОД," as I recall, which means "to the furthest reaches" or something like that.

"Look, mommy, I'm flying a helicopter!" The sailors were all pretty nice if you spoke Russian (none of them spoke any English whatsoever); they were letting kids have their picture taken inside the helicopter and stuff. I also saw one of them give a pack of cigarettes to one of the Russian immigrants who came aboard. It was kinda funny and sad seeing our "guide" read from his phonetic crib sheet after he lead us to the foredeck; he was pretty obviously uncomfortable doing so, though he was very understandable.

We found this thing amidships; I haven't a damned clue what it is.

The mystery object from the front.

They even put up a helpful poster telling you vital facts about the ship. Too bad for most of the visitors it was all in Russian. I can put up a transcription and translation of the all the text if people want me to.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Re: Visiting the Varyag in SF (56k warning)

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Wow, not bad at all for a camera phone. Looks like you lucked out and A.) got to see a good deal of the ship and, 2.) you actually got onboard at all.

Good stuff.

Did anyone else from the board end up going? Hope to see more pictures.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Did anyone else from the board end up going? Hope to see more pictures.
phred was going to meet us there, but missed his ferry by five minutes, and got there around 11:15. He didn't get on, unfortunately, though we did find him after we got off and walked around the city together for a while.

On the ship, we were able to wander the entire deck, but I got the feeling we weren't welcome below if we wanted to try going there. Another friend of mine was standing in line, almost ready to go on when we came out; I'll contact him and see if he has more pictures I can post.

Here are some more pictures we took, in no particular order:

Another view of the girl in the helicopter.

This was a label on one of the hatches along the port side corridor; it reads, "В?УВКА В КМО КРЫШКА С177." I'm not sure what the whole thing might mean in English, but I'm pretty sure КМО is an acronym for something.

Another hatch label; Зарядный means charging or loading. Perhaps the magazine?

Аккумуляторный probably means "accumulating", while щелочной means "alkali"; I don't know where this hatch could lead.

Here's a bunch more angles of the helicopter, which is a Ка-27:

And the ensign. I never got close enough to read what was printed on it.

Another mooring line case.

Looking forward from near the aft deck.

Some more approach shots:

Not sure what this is officially, but it has the Russian double headed eagle and St. George the Dragonslayer on it.

A couple more angles amidships:

On the foredeck:

The starboard missile tubes.

Nice frame of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island with the ship.

In these last two, you can see the thingie that has "БЕРЕГИСЬ БУКСИРА" painted on it on the deck in the foreground, just to port of the starboard chain.

Most of the other pictures we took were details of that informational poster from the last post so I could translate it; I could probably have that up in a couple of days.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Very cool looking ship, you were lucky to get the tour. A surprising amount of radar and sensor mounts on it, practically wallpapered with them. Especially liking the Hormone chopper, I've always thought those things were very interesting in their design aesthetic. The bit you couldn't translate on the covers is probably the Russian equivelant of 'remove before flight'.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The random cannon you weren't sure what its used for might be a saluting gun, not sure if the Russians do that though.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

Аккумуляторный probably means "accumulating", while щелочной means "alkali"; I don't know where this hatch could lead.
Аккумулятор(Accumulator) means rechargeable battery, while non-rechargeable batteries are called батарея or батарейка. That'd be a storage/charging room for alkaline batteries.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:The bit you couldn't translate on the covers is probably the Russian equivalent of 'remove before flight'.
That's what a couple of guys with us thought; you're probably right. It just occurred to me that ПВД literally means "receiver of air pressure," so perhaps it has something to with the helicopter's altimeter. So "remove cover of air pressure sensor (before flight)" would make sense.
folti wrote:Аккумулятор(Accumulator) means rechargeable battery, while non-rechargeable batteries are called батарея or батарейка. That'd be a storage/charging room for alkaline batteries.
Thanks.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Not quite sure what all the deck fixtures amidships are, nor the tower in the background, though I think that's another radar.
Those are the VLS canisters for the ships S-300 SAMs. Eight missiles in each cluster. The object up astern of them is the engagement radar for the system, it trains to face the threat axis, which is a major limitation, but its still way better then the SAM armament on most warships.

The view astern, with the ship's helicopter and the Russian naval ensign. The hatch reads, "DANGER - doors (well, roofs/covers) open automatically."
I’d call it a hatch; what’s under is one of the ships secondary short range Osa SAM launcher. The thing pops up to fire, then retracts to reload.

This model shows the interior of the Slava, though with a different newer engagement radar, you can see the Osa SAM launcher in raised position

This is just a cutaway view, not labeled but it gives a good idea of what the guts of the ship are like and how the S-300 battery takes up the entire depth of the hull.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956