OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Rye »

RedImperator wrote:
weemadando wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Cryptonomicon, followed shortly by Iron Council and Use of Weapons.
China Mieville's Iron Council? If so - fuck yes. Good job sir. Not quite as good as Perdido St Station or The Scar, but still better than most other extant fantasy.
The very same. I have no interest--zero, none, null--in Tolkien ripoff style sword and sorcery fantasy (for that matter, I have no interest in Tolkien himself), but I've fallen in love with Meiville. I'm glad he doesn't write in my genre, or I'd probably just lay in bed all day feeling like a hack.
Based on your recommendation I decided to get his compendium of short stories, the synopses of which seem pretty cool. :) I also ordered the latest Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus and the Firefly comic omnibuses, since I watched it again recently and still cannot fathom why Fox were such douchebags.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Rye wrote:
RedImperator wrote:
weemadando wrote:
China Mieville's Iron Council? If so - fuck yes. Good job sir. Not quite as good as Perdido St Station or The Scar, but still better than most other extant fantasy.
The very same. I have no interest--zero, none, null--in Tolkien ripoff style sword and sorcery fantasy (for that matter, I have no interest in Tolkien himself), but I've fallen in love with Meiville. I'm glad he doesn't write in my genre, or I'd probably just lay in bed all day feeling like a hack.
Based on your recommendation I decided to get his compendium of short stories, the synopses of which seem pretty cool.
Would that be King RAt?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

At this very moment... I am reading through Watchmen. I am still amazed at how good it is after all these years.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Awesome book.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

weemadando wrote: Would that be King RAt?
King Rat is his first novel. Looking for Jake is the short story collection.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sorry, that's right. I always confuse those two.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Unseen Academicals, which I totally forgot about, and I notice that Discworld books are as of late chock-full of spelling errors.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Just finished 'The Day Watch' and along with the first novel 'The Night Watch' the theme seems to be' no matter how genre savy, well prepared, or knowledgeable you are. Your boss has your number, what ever you do, is exactly what your boss planned for you to do.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Dalton wrote:Unseen Academicals, which I totally forgot about, and I notice that Discworld books are as of late chock-full of spelling errors.
My wife is picking up a copy of that today from the library - I'll have a go after her. I'm currently on the Wee Free Men/Acuhing trilogy to break up the Kursk history which is DENSE.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

weemadando wrote:
Dalton wrote:Unseen Academicals, which I totally forgot about, and I notice that Discworld books are as of late chock-full of spelling errors.
My wife is picking up a copy of that today from the library - I'll have a go after her. I'm currently on the Wee Free Men/Acuhing trilogy to break up the Kursk history which is DENSE.
Let me know what you think. Quite frankly I found it a bit formulaic and disappointing, as well as missing a few good opportunities to expand the plot or backstory. Not to mention relegating major characters in other books to, honestly, insulting bit parts.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Have just finished Feed by Mira Grant. It's a tight political conspiracy thriller, with added zombie spice. The story takes place in a world 20 years after the zombie apocalypse, society has basically recovered, so the zombies are part of the backdrop to the story rather than the story itself, but the world they create is fun and unique, with ultra-paranoid security and quarantine protocols in force everywhere.

I've also read Vicious Circle, Mike Carey's second novel about Felix Castor, he's starting to strike out a bit more now, so whilst the shadow of John Constantine is still present the world and characters are very much all their own, and Carey is exploring them well.

Also Crossed, by Garth Ennis and Jacen Burrows, which is pretty much the sickest and wrongest comic ever to not be Japanese, and therefore great.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I just finished America: The Teachers Edition and now I'm about three chapters into Lies My Teacher Told Me, which I'm really enjoying.

Interestingly enough, though, is that I actually know quite a few of the corrections the author is making. I'm not sure where I necessarily came across those corrections, but I'm certainly not ignorant of many, if not most, of them so far.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm finally on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The final stretch is almost within view.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I finally started Heroes Die by Matthew Stover, based on someone's recommendation on the board. It's good so far.

I'm also reading Shadow King by Gave Thorpe and The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell (although I'm not making much headway on that one). Soon I will read Kitty goes to war and The Desert Spear. Lots of good books still wait on my shelf--if only there was time enough to read them...

Time enough at last...
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

the radical's handbook, all three Haarlock's Legacy Books, and the most recent rolling stone....

damn poor Gaga, McCrystal, and Dennis Hopper.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Bob the Gunslinger

What happened to Gaga? Do you mean Lady Gaga? I thought you were talking about authors. I am so confused, Bear.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've stalled on my progress of reading The Cambridge History of Ancient Egypt and Iron Kingdom (a history of Prussia) for reasons mostly having to do with boredom. I may take the latter book back to the library, seeing as how I already read it two years ago for a class.

I've got Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart and Kim Stanley Robinson's Years of Rice and Salt ready to go from the library. Which one should I read first, or not read? I was tempted to do the Robinson book, but after getting burned by the "Science in the Capital" trilogy plus Blue Mars, I'm hesitant to start it at all.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I purchased Fool Moon The second Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher. I finished it around bedtime. So yeah, damn engrossing read. Noticing a few commanalities of plot between it and the first book.
Bob the Gunslinger

Crazedwraith wrote:I purchased Fool Moon The second Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher. I finished it around bedtime. So yeah, damn engrossing read. Noticing a few commanalities of plot between it and the first book.
The Third book is where the over-arching arc begins...but that doesn't mean those plot similarities won't still be there. Most of the Dresden Files follow a formula, although Butcher does mix it up a bit later (especially in Changes). The series is still tremendously fun throughout, though.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Please tell me there's not a 'this is how I treat women' paragraph in every book. :P It's already getting old. The main similarities i thought were him being brokem which I suppose when you rely on wizarding for income is fair enough and the hilarious bit were Murphy flips out on the slightest provocation to arrest him again.
Bob the Gunslinger

Crazedwraith wrote:Please tell me there's not a 'this is how I treat women' paragraph in every book. :P It's already getting old. The main similarities i thought were him being brokem which I suppose when you rely on wizarding for income is fair enough and the hilarious bit were Murphy flips out on the slightest provocation to arrest him again.
Well, in later books Murph doesn't flip out nearly so often. Also, he's less broke in some of the stories (but, yeah, not rich either).

Every book has at least some introduction to the characters for first time readers, so there will always be a bit of repetition in there somewhere. His white knight syndrome is a big flaw that enemies will exploit later in the series, so it does tend to come up fairly often.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

So the old dude down the street from my aunt passed away and his wife gave me his Patrick O'Brian collection. All in hardback, looked beautiful on my shelf. Then it turns out the old dude promised the whole set to his grandson. Easy come, easy go. However they agreed to let me keep them until I finish the set. Should take most of the summer, I reckon. Just started Post Captain the other night.
XXXI
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter has to be one of the greatest books I've ever read.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Rubicon by Tom Holland. Great read, he has a knack to really bring the characters alive in his narrative.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:What happened to Gaga? Do you mean Lady Gaga? I thought you were talking about authors. I am so confused, Bear.
The most recent Rolling Stone, has the following articles, LAdy Gaga is currently borderline for Lupus going active on her.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin