The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Five Up

Post by Nematocyst »

You can block enclosed spaces like rooms just fine with the tin foil.
Besides, portals require the relatively rare nephilim and equipment that isn't really available to the public, so there's no real risk of civilians thinking with portals
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

What about the dial-a-portal network we've seen being developed? If I understood right, it was, at least at some point in the future, intended to replace conventional transportation completely.
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

CSJM wrote:What about the dial-a-portal network we've seen being developed? If I understood right, it was, at least at some point in the future, intended to replace conventional transportation completely.
It would replace conventional transportation up to a point. You still need some means of moving goods in bulk through the portal itself, and that's were truck and trains would still have relevant roles.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Also, below a certain level it ceases to be efficient. There's no reason for me to use a portal to go over to my bathroom or into my kitchen.

Personally, I think you'd get a sort of "switching nexus" where you have a lot of trunk lines for railroads shoot into and out of permanent portals, moving through a hub area (so you don't have a hit-or-miss mess in Hell). 'course, you'd probably get an equivalent area on Earth in a relatively useless area (some part of the Sahara or in Saudi Arabia, for example).
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Nematocyst wrote:You can block enclosed spaces like rooms just fine with the tin foil.
Besides, portals require the relatively rare nephilim and equipment that isn't really available to the public, so there's no real risk of civilians thinking with portals
How hard do you think it would be for a mob boss to get a hold of a nephilim and a naga/portal-generating equipment if he really wanted it? Hell, the Russian mafia probably already has several working pairs of the necessary equipment, knowing their level of reach.
ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Considering the goverments track them very closely, I'd say it would be hard.
Then again, goverments also track nuclear weapons, and they still sell in the black market like hot cakes...
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Nematocyst wrote:Considering the goverments track them very closely, I'd say it would be hard.
Then again, goverments also track nuclear weapons, and they still sell in the black market like hot cakes...
My point exactly. The bigger mob families have probably already gotten a hold of this stuff. All they need to do is pay off the right man in DIMO(N) for equipment, or pay a naga, and then pay a nephilim.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yes, but the difference is we have schedules of when portals are opening, so if unauthorized portals start opening, well the HEA will probably send some troops to investigate and it won't end well for the unauthorized portal users...
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

And then you get into the familiar pattern of tech versus countermeasure. The mob then starts jamming cell towers (that is still how they detect portals, correct?) at random and occasionally putting through a portal when they want to do a job.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Nematocyst wrote:Considering the goverments track them very closely, I'd say it would be hard.
Oh, really?

I guess Al Queda just lucks out on the sales then? Or maybe North Korea just bought a few well past their Past Due date, so they had defective samples to work from?

I certainly hope that Stuart speaks out on this, because AFAIK not a single working nuke has ever been up for sale.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Nematocyst wrote: Then again, goverments also track nuclear weapons, and they still sell in the black market like hot cakes...
No, sorry, they do not. No nuclear weapon has ever been sold on the black market or anywhere else. There have been a number of frauds where somebody (usually the Iranians who seem to be particularly gullible) have bought a variety of weapons-shaped boxes marked with trefoils and the announcement "This is a nuclear weapon. Really. Why should we lie to you?" painted on the outside. The usual content was a handful of old wristwatches. But no real nuclear device has ever been sold and all are accounted for.

A.Q. Khan developed a design for a nuclear device in Pakistan and gave (not sold) details to North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya and Myanmar. Probably a few others as well. Unfortunately, there is a basic flaw in those plans which explains the incredible number of fizzles from people who built devices using them.

It is actually quite easy to track device technology. There are a few things in this world which, if you try and buy them, will result in some very interesting conversations.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Atlan wrote:
Oh, really?

I guess Al Queda just lucks out on the sales then? Or maybe North Korea just bought a few well past their Past Due date, so they had defective samples to work from?

I certainly hope that Stuart speaks out on this, because AFAIK not a single working nuke has ever been up for sale.
How do you explain all the suitcase nukes the KGB ordered and had built... of which the majority are missing? They didn't DISAPPEAR. They're out there somewhere.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
d'Artagnan
Redshirt

Post by d'Artagnan »

impatrick4life wrote: How do you explain all the suitcase nukes the KGB ordered and had built... of which the majority are missing? They didn't DISAPPEAR. They're out there somewhere.
Do you have a source for this besides wild speculation and Tom Clancy plot points?
"Some people might call me lazy. I call it stopping to smell the roses and taking advantage of weak people." -My friend Kate

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?” -Mark Twain
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

impatrick4life wrote:How do you explain all the suitcase nukes the KGB ordered and had built... of which the majority are missing? They didn't DISAPPEAR. They're out there somewhere.
They are accounted for. Incidentally, the description "suitcase nuke" is highly misleading.
kouchpotato
Youngling

Post by kouchpotato »

I don't really buy it, but here's where that rumor came from.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/News/Lebedbomb.html

Alexander Lebed, former Russian National Security Adviser, claimed Russia had lost track of approx. 100 suitcase nukes.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Of course, while Lebed was a good man, he was probably overestimating his authority when he said that the military would tell them all about the nukes. It was probably the result of some garbled conversation that went like a game of telephone: Strategic Forces officer: One hundred 'suitcase nukes' need some level of rebuilding, more senior Strategic Force officer: Not worse it, let's take them out of comission, FSB guy: that's one hundred less nukes, FSB over hearing conversation: That's will be one hundred less nukes, pretend we still have them to bargain during disarmament talks, Lebed: We've lost track of nukes.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Then my bad for being uninformed.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Stuart wrote:
Nematocyst wrote: Then again, goverments also track nuclear weapons, and they still sell in the black market like hot cakes...
No, sorry, they do not. No nuclear weapon has ever been sold on the black market or anywhere else. There have been a number of frauds where somebody (usually the Iranians who seem to be particularly gullible) have bought a variety of weapons-shaped boxes marked with trefoils and the announcement "This is a nuclear weapon. Really. Why should we lie to you?" painted on the outside. The usual content was a handful of old wristwatches. But no real nuclear device has ever been sold and all are accounted for.

A.Q. Khan developed a design for a nuclear device in Pakistan and gave (not sold) details to North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya and Myanmar. Probably a few others as well. Unfortunately, there is a basic flaw in those plans which explains the incredible number of fizzles from people who built devices using them.

It is actually quite easy to track device technology. There are a few things in this world which, if you try and buy them, will result in some very interesting conversations.
Wow. You learn something new every day. Out of curiosity, if there's never been a sale of this stuff, where did all the talk of it come from?
Razor One
Youngling

Post by Razor One »

GrayAnderson wrote:Wow. You learn something new every day. Out of curiosity, if there's never been a sale of this stuff, where did all the talk of it come from?
Most likely? The same people that believe 9/11 was an inside job, think that fluoridation is a form of mind control and consider it a proven fact that immunisation causes autism.

Or more plainly, crackpots and paranoid crackpots.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~Tennyson

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

When people say 'suitcase nuke' they mean 'nuclear device in a large trunk that two men can probably move with a hand cart'. You won't see one on a commuter train.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Jamesfirecat
Padawan Learner

Post by Jamesfirecat »

Stuart wrote:
They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and in turn, gave them a shiny bomb-casing full of used pinball machine parts!

Well somebody had to say it....
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Please get the climax up by friday? I have to go to summer camp for three weeks and I don't want to miss it. :cry:
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Friday 16th? It'll be up by then. Probably. Unless something terrible happens.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:A.Q. Khan developed a design for a nuclear device in Pakistan and gave (not sold) details to North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya and Myanmar. Probably a few others as well. Unfortunately, there is a basic flaw in those plans which explains the incredible number of fizzles from people who built devices using them.
Nitpick: I fail to see how this is unfortunate:

"Bad news: Guy gives nuclear device design to numerous rogue nations. Good news: Guy in question is bad at designing nuclear devices."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Because the bad guys have now spent a huge amount of time, money, effort and resources to build something that is guaranteed to not work. And in the process have probably left a trail of evidence as clear as day to anyone paying attention as they did so.