Favorite Hollywood composers?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Favorite Hollywood composers?

Post by Sam Or I »

I was going to do a poll, but I don't know enough about the subject. But three that really stick out to me are: (In no order)

Danny Elfman (A given)
Clint Mansell
Hans Zimmer
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Favorite Hollywood composers?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

John Williams.
Anything involving Classical music (Beehoven, Bach, Wagner etc')
Danny Elfman
Hans Zimmer
Queen :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bernard Hermann
Franz Waxman
Lalo Schifferin
John Williams
James Horner (even though he does tend to self-plagarise)
Basil Poledorus
Leonard Rosenmann
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ennio Morricone.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I've always liked John Williams and John Barry since they both do such a variety of different types of scores. You can factor out the most famous scores and you still get great music like Williams' score for Presumed Innocent or Amistad or Memoirs of a Geisha.

Or Barry's scores for Mary, Queen of Scots, or Robin and Marian or Zulu:

John Barry's score for Legend of the Lone Ranger was beautiful and made that wretched film almost watchable, which for my money is what makes a film composer special.
Last edited by Elfdart on 2010-07-10 09:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Howard Shore - His additions to Nine Inch Nail's song "Closer" in the opening credits of Se7en is great. And of course, his score for Fellowship of the Ring is amazing.

Hans Zimmer - His work on The Dark Knight made me appreciate him more. Rumors are floating about that he composed Inception's score without seeing any footage, so I will be paying close attention to it next weekend.

Nicholas Hooper - He did a great job with the Half-Blood Prince. He brought a sense of gloom to the Potter series in terms of music, which a lack of has always been a problem with the series, in my opinion.
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

James Horner. I absolutely adore the music during the stealing of the Enterprise in ST III.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Danny Elfman and John Williams are too obvious, so I'll throw out Eric Serra. He did the soundtracks for the Fifth Element and Goldeneye among others. I'll also throw out Alan Silvestri. He's done the music for a whole bunch of stuff from Predator to the Back to the Future trilogy to Ferngully.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Just off the top of my head:

Alan Silvestri
Basil Poledorus
Bernard Hermann
Danny Elfman
Ennio Morricone
Hans Zimmer
Howard Shore
James Horner
Jerry Goldsmith
John Williams

Probably some I'm forgetting.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Most of my favorites are mentioned, but I'll throw in Michael Kamen. And Steve Jablonsky for Transformers, and Brad Fiedel for Terminator.

Oh, hey, the topic says Hollywood composers, not film composers. In that case, Bear McCreary.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

In addition to ones already mentioned.

Ron Goodwin, a bit of an older one here for his scores for Battle of Britain and Where Eagles Dare.

Klaus Badelt. Perhaps better known for Pirates of the Caribbean, but I like his score for K-19:The Widowmaker.

Hans Zimmer. His music can be so varied, especially when he works with Lisa Gerrard as he did on Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

James Horner does start to sound self plagiariasing, but an early good score of his was Krull.

Basil Pouledouris for Red October, Conan the Barbarian, Starship Troopers and Robocop.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Anguirus wrote:
Oh, hey, the topic says Hollywood composers, not film composers. In that case, Bear McCreary.
. . .it's usually understood that Hollywood = film.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Wojciech Kilar for Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's wonderfully moody, brooding and ominous stuff.

I like Barry's various Bond films' scores, as well as the music for The Black Hole.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Wojciech Kilar for Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's wonderfully moody, brooding and ominous stuff.

I like Barry's various Bond films' scores, as well as the music for The Black Hole.
The Black Hole is a very nice score, though if you listen to the Space Battle and Flight into Space segments of Moonraker they are very similar to elements of the Black Hole.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

This is more suited to AMP.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

General Zod wrote:
Anguirus wrote:
. . .it's usually understood that Hollywood = film.
It's not like it matters. They're the same bunch of people who do both.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Aside from the usual suspects like Zimmer, Gregson-Williams, Williams, Powell, Morricone etc., I just reminded myself of the haunting themes of David Julyan as Nolan tends to use him for his non-action oriented films.

Here is probably one of the best pieces he's done. Julyan's score easily makes this, as with Morricone's for The Thing, a true classic. It works so well, and atmosphere in horror is paramount. I can't think of a better soundtrack to it, and I wish he was more widely used (need to see Eden Lake too, for that matter). I also recommend The Prestige's score, his last project with the Nolans.

Oh, and this guy Ridley Scott uses now instead of Hans Zimmer or Harry Gregson-Williams and Trevor Rabin, is pretty good. Marc Streitenfeld, another German and from the Zimmer school of music it seems, he now scores big time. He, along with Ilan Eshkeri and John Murphy working with Marius Vries and Henry Jackman, makes for interesting new talent being brought up by pros.

I guess if we're also talking Bear McCreary, then we can mention Murray Gold for TV too, or Sean Callery.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The list of names I'd pick have already been taken, honestly, though allow me to add Mark Mancina. He's done various flick scores, including the animated Tarzan one, but I have him on my list for one in particular: Twister.

Yeah, you heard me. Twister. The movie starring Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt about tornado-chasers. Mancina's score for it is simply superb and is one of my favorite movie scores of all time.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm going with John Murphy and that British band Underworld. The soundtracks of 28 Days Later and Sunshine were very magnificent. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Listening to Inception, it is very John Barry and David Arnold, but then it is a very Bond-esque film in many ways, so fits perfectly.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Listening to Inception, it is very John Barry and David Arnold, but then it is a very Bond-esque film in many ways, so fits perfectly.
Ugh. This doesn't sound too good to me as David Arnold is mediocre as hell in my eyes. The last two Bond scores aren't very good at all.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Are you kidding? David Arnold does amazing work, even if the last two Bonds didn't have a full 60-90 minutes of music I really liked (they really aren't his best with only a select few tracks worth hearing outside the context of the film). His best works were more like StarGate, ID4 and TND, or the main theme to Wind Commander

One can always find something crappy for a composer. I cringe when I hear Diamonds Are Forever, and that was Barry, or James Horner and his 3 pieces of music he's recycled since 1986. Anyway, it's a great score for the film. Don't let the analogy put you off, it's still Zimmer, just with a more Bond kind of aura given the film's plot.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Don't let the analogy put you off, it's still Zimmer, just with a more Bond kind of aura given the film's plot.
I actually bought it yesterday without having seen the film. :)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I tend to do that sometimes too, though am wary of the track names. The Sixth Sense kind've ruined the one big thing about that film, heh.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

JLTucker wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Listening to Inception, it is very John Barry and David Arnold, but then it is a very Bond-esque film in many ways, so fits perfectly.
Ugh. This doesn't sound too good to me as David Arnold is mediocre as hell in my eyes. The last two Bond scores aren't very good at all.
Yeah. I don't like Incetion's score. Nothing stands out to me even after listening to it twice. It didn't even stand out when I saw the film. Zimmer has let me down for the first time.