The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Six Up

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Edward Yee wrote:Hey, for the Brits it'd also let them celebrate both Yahweh's death AND the day they got us Americans to be nominally eternally indebted to the French. :P (Credit to its original poster on HPCA.)
Bah. Normandy squared us.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Stuart wrote:
Erra wrote:Yeah, this whole concept of Ehlmas or Yahweh being wingless seems to have sprout out of no where with no actual basis in the story.
I was wondering where that came from. :D They both have (or had) wings.
I'll admit that I thought they were wing-less, mostly because I thought that they were another class of powerful humanoids as opposed to being on the "gigantic" end of the angelic/demonic race.
Last edited by Guardsman Bass on 2010-07-14 05:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:You couldn't make it July 4th? :-P
Nope, it's a secret plot to squash Bastille Day into obscurity, even in France, under an even bigger holiday. :D
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Nope, it's a secret plot to squash Bastille Day into obscurity, even in France, under an even bigger holiday. :D
Oh God, I did a spit-take. Thank you.
ImageImage
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

So after 918 days the war's over.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Bah. Normandy squared us.
Not even squaring it can wipe it away, in the limeys' eyes... I'm not sure if the French even count it! [/facetiousness]
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Darth Yan wrote:So after 918 days the war's over.
THIS war, sure. But unlike Alexander we're pretty sure there's a lot more worlds to conquer.
ImageImage
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Edward Yee wrote:Hey, for the Brits it'd also let them celebrate both Yahweh's death AND the day they got us Americans to be nominally eternally indebted to the French. :P (Credit to its original poster on HPCA.)
Bah. Normandy squared us.
hehehehe, indeed it did. :)
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
I guess I'll continue my idiocy by adding that I thought the French reaction was that they were going to be even more uinsufferable.

Edit: Fixed the supremely stupid spelling error that westrim pointed out below :)
Last edited by nobody_really on 2010-07-14 09:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

I presume this has something to do something someone said on this "HPCA", but to my knowledge the only thing significantly French on that day (as mentioned above) is Bastille Day, which has little to do with the US. Maybe January 14th, the day the Treaty of Versailles was signed, but not July.
nobody_really wrote:I guess I'll continue my idiocy by adding that I thought the French reaction was that they were going to be even more unsufferable.
Hey, I'm confused too this time. They seem to be quoting a website (it is a website, I'm presuming?) assuming that everyone else has been there. Or merrily sharing an injoke and not telling us redshirts, because we'll die soon anyway. :(

By the way, it's insufferable *cough*
Last edited by westrim on 2010-07-14 08:33pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeRogue
Redshirt

Post by DeRogue »

Just on the Topic of Special operations, what are the chances good old JTF could get a tiny shout out in story? If they already have, could I get pointed in the right direction of the chapter?
"With the God Emperor as my shield, and my faith as my sword, may we cast aside the heretics, may we eviscerate the Xenos, But most of all, may we NEVER LET THE FOUL TASTE OF CHAOS SEE OUR HOME! AVE IMPERATOR! AVE DORN! AVE CREED!" Commisar Tiberius Dirax's last words, before The 626 Cadian Fast attack regiment and now extinct Imperial Fist successor chapter known as the Fathers of Dir took the main spaceport on the Cadian planet of Dir, incurring near total losses.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Who? Sorry, but I have no idea who you are talking about.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
DeRogue
Redshirt

Post by DeRogue »

Night_stalker wrote:Who? Sorry, but I have no idea who you are talking about.
JTF, Canadian special forces. Functionally equivalent to The United states Navy SEALS, IIRC. Serve with Americans on Tier 1 operations.
"With the God Emperor as my shield, and my faith as my sword, may we cast aside the heretics, may we eviscerate the Xenos, But most of all, may we NEVER LET THE FOUL TASTE OF CHAOS SEE OUR HOME! AVE IMPERATOR! AVE DORN! AVE CREED!" Commisar Tiberius Dirax's last words, before The 626 Cadian Fast attack regiment and now extinct Imperial Fist successor chapter known as the Fathers of Dir took the main spaceport on the Cadian planet of Dir, incurring near total losses.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Ahhh, my bad. As far as I know, they haven't been mentioned so far. Sorry. :(
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
DeRogue
Redshirt

Post by DeRogue »

I didn't think so, I don't remember any mention of it, but I haven't read Armageddon in a dogs age.
Gogyra
Redshirt

Post by Gogyra »

Night_stalker wrote:Ahhh, my bad. As far as I know, they haven't been mentioned so far. Sorry. :(
That's either a very good thing or a very bad thing.
MrCIA
Redshirt

Post by MrCIA »

barricade wrote:
MrCIA wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Sometimes, you just gotta live up to the Reputation. :twisted:
Leaving notes on the queens bed table does tend to give you something of a reputation. 8)
Okay, this I want to hear about. Because I want to hear about both who's head rolled inside palace security, and also which unit pulled it off.
I can't find my old reference now, so take this as a "As I remember" combined with "Might be blowing smoke up your ass". The story is that after the Michael Fagan incident [Wiki] Buckingham palace upgraded it's security. To test the new measures palace security asked the SAS to try them out. The SAS agreed and sent men from B squadron 22nd regiment to infiltrate the palace undetected. Needless to say they were successful. They left a note on the queens bed table saying something to the effect of "Do not worry your majesty. You are well protected." Their report to palace security indicated several places where security could be improved. And as so far as I can find, Buckingham Palace has not been successfully infiltrated since.
"When in doubt, assume everything is fucked."
"Life is better when you have a stick."
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

westrim wrote:

I presume this has something to do something someone said on this "HPCA", but to my knowledge the only thing significantly French on that day (as mentioned above) is Bastille Day, which has little to do with the US. Maybe January 14th, the day the Treaty of Versailles was signed, but not July.
nobody_really wrote:I guess I'll continue my idiocy by adding that I thought the French reaction was that they were going to be even more unsufferable.
Hey, I'm confused too this time. They seem to be quoting a website (it is a website, I'm presuming?) assuming that everyone else has been there. Or merrily sharing an injoke and not telling us redshirts, because we'll die soon anyway. :(

By the way, it's insufferable *cough*
The only thing that I know of as far as HPCA is that it's the History, Politics, and Current Affairs forum where The Big One originally lived.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I had been referring to Stuart not setting July 4th as Yahweh's death and CaptainChewbacca wondering about that; my attempted joke was borrowed wholesale from here.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) hasn't been named as such, but they may very well be one of the unnamed units near the Eternal City (and who knows how far they got?). However, they are not functionally equivalent to the SEALs, and there's more Canadian special ops units.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Stuart wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote: There is more than one SAS unit, and they are not all British :twisted:
Notice that General Petraeus said "their" reputation, not "its" reputation :twisted:
Her Majesties Forces indeed!
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

DeRogue wrote:
JTF, Canadian special forces. Functionally equivalent to The United States Navy SEALS, IIRC. Serve with Americans on Tier 1 operations.
When a group's name is "Joint Task Force 2" you can't just throw it out there and expect everyone to know(Joint Task forces are all over the place- the HEA is one, unless it becomes a permanent body). However, I'm surprised to say that I did, from watching Flashpoint on TV.

See what I did there? :angelic: (it feels weird using that) Context is key. If you had said ""the Canadian JTF or "the US Navy SEALS" (as you did), there would have been no confusion.
Edward Yee wrote:I had been referring to Stuart not setting July 4th as Yahweh's death and CaptainChewbacca wondering about that; my attempted joke was borrowed wholesale from here.
No, it was indeed amusing, it just lacked context for me. So okay, the comparison is to July 4th, that other important date in the Revolutionary War. Got it.
Negativedark
Redshirt

Post by Negativedark »

DeRogue wrote:
JTF, Canadian special forces. Functionally equivalent to The United states Navy SEALS, IIRC. Serve with Americans on Tier 1 operations.
Probably they're doing what they always do. Bieng awesome without anyone noticing. Funny isn't it how their are several countries who have excellent special forces, but aren't nations you normally think of having much in the way of military?

I have to admit it would be funny if Yah-Yah wasn't quite dead, and rises out of the lake... Then finally gets introduced to modern weaponry.
Technology, the great equalizer, and the great un-equalizer.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, with the coup de grâce being performed by a Swiss Guardsman. That would be really ironic!

—anonymous

Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Negativedark wrote: Probably they're doing what they always do. Bieng awesome without anyone noticing. Funny isn't it how their are several countries who have excellent special forces, but aren't nations you normally think of having much in the way of military?
That's the sign of a good special forces unit: if you noticed their existance, they did it wrong.
Night_stalker wrote:Yeah, with the coup de grâce being performed by a Swiss Guardsman. That would be really ironic!
Or the Pope himself.
Also, is the Pope still Benedict XVI in this?
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Razor One
Youngling

Post by Razor One »

Nematocyst wrote:
Negativedark wrote: Probably they're doing what they always do. Bieng awesome without anyone noticing. Funny isn't it how their are several countries who have excellent special forces, but aren't nations you normally think of having much in the way of military?
That's the sign of a good special forces unit: if you noticed their existance, they did it wrong.
Alternatively, they did things exactly as planned and you didn't notice the truly awesome thing that flew clear under everyone's radar that was their real target after all ;)
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~Tennyson