What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Neuropath by R. Scot Bakker
That was an interesting book, although I think Bakker weakened much of the execution by his constant info-dumping.

I've finished George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream. It's a pretty good vampire book, although I think it slows down too much near the end.

I'm reading Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Discipline right now. It's pretty engrossing and interesting to read, particularly the parts on urbanization and nuclear power. It's on library loan, but I think I'll probably buy a copy of it for myself for future re-reading.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

I've picked up Transhuman: What humanity becomes next, a collection of, uh, short Transhumanist sci-fi stories. It's alright.

Also just finished reading The NanoTech Network, via the link in Comrade Stas's signature. Now that was mind-blowing.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Well I just finished The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, since I hadn't yet gotten to that. I also thumbed through The Dangerous Book for Boys to see if I wanted to keep it in my library (I do). Next on the list is Neuromancer.

I'm pleased with myself; I'm finally making a dent in my "To Be Read" shelf. I've only two feet left now instead of three. :) Though I'm sure I'll add to that soon enough. :wink:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Finally on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which is good because I'm nearly burned out from the series again (this is why I only reread the books once a year).
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'm reading Simon R. Green's Deathstalker. It's the first in a series. It seems decent, so far. The protagonist is enough of a slacker and overbred foppish aristocrat that his fighting skills and luck don't make him seem like an author-insert.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

A.J. Jacob's The Year of Living Biblically, which seems to be a lot of fun though I only just started it. Basically, a secularist decided to live life according to the bible for a year.

According to the whole bible, not the modernized way of doing it.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

On Surgeon's Mate. At this rate I'll be done the series before august.

I should probably reread some of my old sociology texts, the Marx and the Foucault.
XXXI
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just read the two trades that compose Loveless. Not a bad diversion, but it's a little shambolic with the storytelling at times.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Errr... On The Ionian Mission, now. I didn't even realize I was so close to the end. Surgeon's Mate (I finally get the title) gets wrapped up quick and neat.
XXXI
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Phantasee wrote:Errr... On The Ionian Mission, now. I didn't even realize I was so close to the end. Surgeon's Mate (I finally get the title) gets wrapped up quick and neat.
You'll get me to reread the Aubrey-Maturin books once more...:-)

I've started Christopher Clark's 'Prussia'. Well written and readable. I like the mix of the big picture and the litte guys' perspective.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Finished Neuropath. Interesting ideas, but weak in terms of style and prose. Kraken was pretty damn good.

Now going on "god emperor of Didcot" (Space captain Smith) and "Wages of Destruction"
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I've just started on this amazing trash fiction series called Pax Britannia. Very much in the same vein as Space Captain Smith. Queen Victoria on a Golden-Throne-Alike, rain that turns people into insects, Robo-Peelers, and a hero called Ulysses Quicksilver! and a British Empire that semi-encompass the globe and has moon colonies, vampires and werewolves and, uh...Rasputin?

Wacky, wacky books.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I started and finished Millenium I today, started Millenium II as soon as I was finished the first.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Has anyone else read Raymond E. Feist's "Conclave of Shadows" series? Is it worth it to continue on to the "Darkwar" books, or is it going to be just a bunch more vignettes about gold, food, wine and whores?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

I will be starting a new batch of books today!

For school:

A World Lit Only By Fire: The Medieval Mind And The Renaissance: Portrait Of An Age By William Manchester

and

Theatre Of The Oppressed By Augusto Boal

For Pleasure:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy By Peter H. Wilson

and

The Best Of Robert E. Howard: Volume 1: Crimson Shadows
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire yesterday, it was alright, but I think Salander's abilities were overdone (disbelief was extremely difficult to suspend) compared to the first one. Larsson's spiel about "hunting ammunition" (soft/hollow point) was downright silly.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally finished unseen academicals (quite a bore at the end).

Started on the Eisenhorn trilogy (40K)
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Started Artificial Minds. Obtaining this book was quite a nuisance, neither my university library nor the public library had a copy, and the first online bookstore I ordered it from dithered about for 3 weeks before informing me it was out of print and wouldn't be available until the end of august. Finally got a used copy from Amazon.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Dresden Files - currently on book 2, Fool Moon. Yep,it's a re-read.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Kaiser Caesar wrote:A World Lit Only By Fire: The Medieval Mind And The Renaissance: Portrait Of An Age By William Manchester
I picked up this book a few months ago because it seemed like it would be a good read. Due to other commitments I haven't had a chance to start it. Have you started to read it and found it to be good?

-----

As for myself I've been reading "Introduction to Ethics" by Jacques P. Thiroux book and "Conceptual Physics: Media Update" by Paul G. Hewitt (and everybody else that contributed). I know it's not for pleasure, and might seem strange to mention in a thread mostly about pleasure reading, but I am reading them more than anything else lately.

I'm reading very slowly:

"Blood of Elves" by Andrzej Sapkowski

"The Logic of Real Arguments" by Alec Fisher

"Learning to Think Things Through" by Gerald Nosich

Letting myself read something like "Blood of Elves" is such a break from the more technical stuff. On the other hand thank God I've let myself get back in to more reading because I really needed to get back in to the habit.
Sig.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Currently reading The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey, it's the fifth book in his Felix Castor series. The books are fun, well written, noir styled, and just* different enough to seperate themselves from any of the other "John Constantine with the serial numbers filed off" urban magic fantasies. (For a start, there's no "magic", Castor is an exorcist, so the only thing that resembles magic is dealing with ghosts, zombies, werethings, and demons, no flashy spells or other nonsense)

*(The difference between Felix Castor and his obvious inspiration is wafer thin, born in Liverpool, moved to London, has a preturnatural talent for fucking up the lives of all around him. Though at least Carey knows his subject, having been born in Liverpool and moved to London, and having been the second longest running Hellblazer author and all).
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Currently on a 40k kick reading "Titanicus" by Dan Abnett and some Ciaphas Cain enjoyment in the form of "The Traitor's Hand".

Nothing quite like Uber mechs and sarcastic humor to fill an afternoon.
You will see the tears of time.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Right now, I am going through the Android's Dream by Scalzi. Recommended to be funny but there are only a few parts that I liked. Only still reading it just to know what happens next.

Also a WH40K Ghost novel called Armour of Contempt. I read in a previous thread that "Traitor General" (two books before) was where Abnett was getting 'bored', but so far it seems he's progressing the characters and the crusade well enough.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

currently going through my david drake reading kick, I'm on Lt. Leary and the lighnings right now, however I have a tomb kings army book, and three DH books for GMing (along with re-reading the Car Wars rules, for Woden's day night fun and games)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I'm on The Reverse of the Medal. The poor Surprise is going to be sold out of the service :(

This is actually the first book I've read that I hadn't read before, in the series. Either it or one of the earlier books was always missing from the library when I tried to read the series before. They were usually overdue by a few months, and of course EPL had only the one complete set out of all the libraries scattered across the city.
XXXI