The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Six Up

Post by Nematocyst »

Or not. Demons and Angels turned out to be very mortal. Who's to say the Elder Gods aren't? They may have an aura of fear and invulnerability around them, but so did the aforementioned Demons and Angels.

There's also the fact that Yahweh and Satan drove them out, and we defeated Yahweh and Satan. We should be able to defeat the Others, be them Elder Gods or not.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Nematocyst wrote:There's also the fact that Yahweh and Satan drove them out, and we defeated Yahweh and Satan. We should be able to defeat the Others, be them Elder Gods or not.
I think you might be mixing up the Universe-Three beings with the other "gods" that were driven out by Yahweh and Satan.

I like the idea of the Universe-Three beings as truly strange creatures (like Cthulu), although I think Stuart nixed the whole "Cthulu" thing with his comment a while back about how the city in Universe-Three was not called R'yleh.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:There's also the fact that Yahweh and Satan drove them out, and we defeated Yahweh and Satan. We should be able to defeat the Others, be them Elder Gods or not.
I think you might be mixing up the Universe-Three beings with the other "gods" that were driven out by Yahweh and Satan.

I like the idea of the Universe-Three beings as truly strange creatures (like Cthulu), although I think Stuart nixed the whole "Cthulu" thing with his comment a while back about how the city in Universe-Three was not called R'yleh.
He nixed the elder gods chilling in universe three. Who's to say they aren't in universe 2?
Uncluttered
Padawan Learner

Post by Uncluttered »

Nematocyst wrote:Or not. Demons and Angels turned out to be very mortal. Who's to say the Elder Gods aren't? They may have an aura of fear and invulnerability around them, but so did the aforementioned Demons and Angels.

There's also the fact that Yahweh and Satan drove them out, and we defeated Yahweh and Satan. We should be able to defeat the Others, be them Elder Gods or not.
Does anyone know of fiction in which the Elder gods get their comeuppance like they do with Salvation War? I know of Cthulutech, but I'm looking for something a little less anime.

As a scientist, my suspension of disbelief stops at "There are things man must not know". I imagine it's the same with a lot of you. Probably why I like this book so much. It oozes the sweet ichor of blasphemy, adds peanut butter, salt and matches, and packages it in an MRE.
This is my signature. Soon a fan-boy will use it for an ad hominem.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Nitpick Nematocyst, we didn't defeat Yahweh (directly), and Satan was actually kind of a lucky bit in that he didn't have time to recover from the first Progress ASM... but yeah, the Others most likely can be defeated... whether we're in a position to do so by the time we encounter them is another story.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
MrCIA
Redshirt

Post by MrCIA »

Uncluttered wrote:Does anyone know of fiction in which the Elder gods get their comeuppance like they do with Salvation War? I know of Cthulutech, but I'm looking for something a little less anime.
Try the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia.
Spoiler
The big bad is described as a "10'000 foot crustacean"
"When in doubt, assume everything is fucked."
"Life is better when you have a stick."
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Nematocyst wrote:Or not. Demons and Angels turned out to be very mortal. Who's to say the Elder Gods aren't? They may have an aura of fear and invulnerability around them, but so did the aforementioned Demons and Angels.

Well, and it's worth noting that a lot of the issue with the Lovecraftian stuff wasn't that the beings in question were evil in the conventional sense. It's that they caused a sort of automatic breakdown by their very presence as they somehow "broke the mind". One suggestion I've heard is alien physics in addition to alien geometry, etc.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Nematocyst wrote:
Uncluttered wrote:Except, make Xenu the good guy, and Cruise et all actually pawns of cosmic evil.
I don't think we can punch a portal to Xenu. Scientology doesn't strike me as being a serious religion.

Or perhaps we can. Perhaps it exists whether it is part of a serious religion or not. There are millions, possible even an infinite number of universes. Every possibility may be real.
That sounds kind of like the Myst-verse. Every possibility exists, and you can go there if you can describe it.

Mind you that whole thing seemed kind of messy to me. Like programming an entire universe, but with quills. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

GrayAnderson wrote: Well, and it's worth noting that a lot of the issue with the Lovecraftian stuff wasn't that the beings in question were evil in the conventional sense. It's that they caused a sort of automatic breakdown by their very presence as they somehow "broke the mind". One suggestion I've heard is alien physics in addition to alien geometry, etc.
The Law of Reciprocity should work on them too: if our brain BSOD's when in presence of their physics, so should theirs with ours.
Unless (and this is most likely) their brains aren't the way we understand brains to be.
Perhaps we can watch them through electronic (not optical) means.

Anyways, missiles don't go mad.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

No, but the poor fools who get to go in and target them with either beacons or laser designators CAN go mad.

Plus, I'm sure that if we go mad even looking at the Elder Gods high priest, looking at the Gods will not be good for our sanity!
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Night_stalker wrote:No, but the poor fools who get to go in and target them with either beacons or laser designators CAN go mad.

Plus, I'm sure that if we go mad even looking at the Elder Gods high priest, looking at the Gods will not be good for our sanity!
we just have to find a way to lock in on them without looking at them. Kind of the way we treat molecules and other truly invisible particles. Of course an uranium nucleus doesn`t object to be disintegrated, so it might be harder to do the same with a, living? creature.

We could send animals to serve as beacons, or something. their influence in brainwaves should be accountable, and if something can be measured, it can be fought back.

If all fails, we could always send madmen to fight them. An abnormal mind might be affected differently.
Arachnidus
Youngling

Post by Arachnidus »

And then the Minos gate opened, and an Imperial Guard battalion poured through. Turns out that portal underneath the Emperor's throne DID lead to hell.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:
Uncluttered wrote:Except, make Xenu the good guy, and Cruise et all actually pawns of cosmic evil.
I don't think we can punch a portal to Xenu. Scientology doesn't strike me as being a serious religion.

Or perhaps we can. Perhaps it exists whether it is part of a serious religion or not. There are millions, possible even an infinite number of universes. Every possibility may be real.
That sounds kind of like the Myst-verse. Every possibility exists, and you can go there if you can describe it.

Mind you that whole thing seemed kind of messy to me. Like programming an entire universe, but with quills. :lol:
It`s true that if there are infinite worlds, then every variant exist and Xenu is out there somewhere. I agree though, that Scientology is not an actual religion, but come to think about it, it doesn`t matter. Lovecraft was no prophet, and we are considering Elder Gods :) You people are just biased with scientologists. it`s cool, not an issue for me.
I like the idea of other gods not intending to be gods, except that it doesn`t work for all pantheons. Plenty of Gods demand worship. Those are clearly getting something out of us, not passing by or trading.

And would it be too Stargate-y to consider Egyptian gods in the mix?

And how about mythical creatures? vampires and such? we have considered nephilims already, I guess damphyrs could get a shot too. bah, just digressing on that one....
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

If we eventually find vampires, they better not sparkle in the sun, or heads will roll.
Starting with mine. I don't want to live to see that.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Nematocyst wrote:If we eventually find vampires, they better not sparkle in the sun, or heads will roll.
I dunno. seeing one's head roll might be a bit amusing if you have absolutely nothing better to do :wink: , but agreed. Vampires and the like may be better off hinted or something than used from one version (strangely enough it seems like every work with vampires has a different set of traits for them).
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Nematocyst wrote:If we eventually find vampires, they better not sparkle in the sun, or heads will roll.
I will avenge your death with theirs, rest assured. Then you can finish them off in Hell. There`s no sun to sparkle down there. Indeed, the gayest vampire idea EVER. I fear what the next will be.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

xthetenth wrote: I dunno. seeing one's head roll might be a bit amusing if you have absolutely nothing better to do.
That's interesting. I wonder if 2nd lifers take their video collections of special moments with them: Birth video, bar mitzvah, wedding, highway security camera video of the car crash, funeral video...
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

I wonder if a Vamp can sparkle after he's been hit with Napalm... :twisted:
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Arachnidus
Youngling

Post by Arachnidus »

Night_stalker wrote:
I wonder if a Vamp can sparkle after he's been hit with Napalm... :twisted:
And a million twitards cry as the vampire burns under the might of the armed forces :twisted:
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

darksoul wrote:I will avenge your death with theirs, rest assured. Then you can finish them off in Hell. There`s no sun to sparkle down there. Indeed, the gayest vampire idea EVER. I fear what the next will be.
Arachnidus wrote:
Night_stalker wrote:I wonder if a Vamp can sparkle after he's been hit with Napalm... :twisted:
And a million twitards cry as the vampire burns under the might of the armed forces :twisted:
I like you guys.
darksoul wrote:That's interesting. I wonder if 2nd lifers take their video collections of special moments with them: Birth video, bar mitzvah, wedding, highway security camera video of the car crash, funeral video...
I doubt it. Jade Kim was very nervous with that situation that reminded her of her death.
I for one wouldn't want to see a bunch of people crying over my dead body, nor see how mangled it was after whatever killed me.
But the funeral topic is interesting.
We make funerals to mourn the dead. But the dead are no longer beyond our reach. We can visit them and all.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

A funeral is a separation still. Not permanent or irreversible, but akin of, I don`t know, moving away to another country with no means to see each other. if you are really poor, of live in a country with no ready access to a Hellgate ("a" Hellgate, or "the" hellgate? don´t remember accurately now. i believe they`re several now.) separation is long and grievous. So I believe funeral rites would be converted, but is still a sad event. And when people meet again, they`re not the same people they used to be, nor can they go back to their own land. It`s a sad thing, not going back to your country again.

On the other hand, I agree dying might be tragic to remember, but meh, you have eternity to get over it :) . I for one would like to die of old age, have my body mummified, and take it with me to, I suppose, the new Roman Republic (my country is small and don`t have an occupation area in Hell.) It would be a nice ornament. A little bit narcissistic, I suppose. :P

Now that i think about it, the reason 2nd lifers can go back is because they lack the "eel-like" organ of angels and demons. well, we make pace makers, don`t we? catching my drift here?
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Nematocyst wrote:
GrayAnderson wrote: Well, and it's worth noting that a lot of the issue with the Lovecraftian stuff wasn't that the beings in question were evil in the conventional sense. It's that they caused a sort of automatic breakdown by their very presence as they somehow "broke the mind". One suggestion I've heard is alien physics in addition to alien geometry, etc.
The Law of Reciprocity should work on them too: if our brain BSOD's when in presence of their physics, so should theirs with ours.
Unless (and this is most likely) their brains aren't the way we understand brains to be.
Perhaps we can watch them through electronic (not optical) means.

Anyways, missiles don't go mad.
Reciprocity works on physical phenomena, but I don't think you can extend it to neurological phenomena (or cultural phenomena for that matter). Consider a blind Frenchman and a Texan who is fluent in French. Assume that the Frenchman has a limited to non-existent understanding of English. Thus, the Frenchman may be able to communicate with the Texan but the Texan, due to his accent, may not be able to communicate back, and can't shift to written or visual communication because the Frenchman is, well, blind.

If the mental breakdown is strictly a neurological phenomenon, you might not be able to return the favor of giving them a BSOD. Consider if you will a situation where there are, in fact, ghosts or specters. A ghost or specter may scare a human being, but the human being won't necessarily scare the ghost. Similarly, I somehow do not think that Godzilla was scared of the residents of Tokyo. Scale may be a factor here, as well as understood nature (conscious or subconscious)...something that "looks" sufficiently alien. If I recall rightly, small artifacts didn't tend to cause total breakdowns in those stories, but bigger ones (cities, etc.) would...and somehow I don't think an adequate defense is to take the Old Ones on a cultural exchange tour to induce insanity.

Finally, there is the possibility that the Lovecraftian entities have been bouncing between worlds for long enough that they have naturally selected for tolerance of alien physics in some way while we simply have not. Give a race a thousand generations of being occasionally exposed to damaging factor X, and they may develop defenses of some form against damaging factor X through adaptive selection.

And as to observing them through non-visual means? That's actually an interesting thought that I'd like to see dealt with...it's intriguing in a lot of ways, though to be fair such entities might overwhelm the limits of the computer's code.
StrikaAmaru
Youngling

Post by StrikaAmaru »

Uncluttered wrote: It oozes the sweet ichor of blasphemy, adds peanut butter, salt and matches, and packages it in an MRE.
Sigged. That is all.
(youtube) Hate mail with Dawkins. American slurs + British accent = brain-breaking hilarity.
Think "I", therefore I am.
(from a dream of mine)
----
My name is Elizabeth; I use StrikaAmaru as handler, since it's impossible to log in just about anywhere with my name.
lichtbringer
Redshirt

Post by lichtbringer »

Also I somewhat like the humanity america fuck yeah theme of that story I would say that your logic is flawed.
Imagine a snake which is killing a gorilla (silverback) with its poisenous bite. Now you are able to kill the snake with a club.
Would you have been able to kill the Gorilla with the same club you used to kill the snake (I mean if you are a average human being and not an american action hero)?
Prezo
Redshirt

Post by Prezo »

Aren't the lovecraftian gods/priests generaly huge? if so all we need is a general location (provided by satelites) and then we can hit it with every indirect weapon we have. problem solved =D?