The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stuart
Sith Devotee

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Eight Up

Post by Stuart »

Pelranius wrote:Well, cleaning up is often the hard part. Speaking of heavy artillery, what about the Republic of China (Taiwan) Army's 240mm howitzers. They have a few on Kinmen and I believe they are still fully operational. Speaking of the ROCA, which Army group did they get bunched in with?
They're in with the Chinese Army Group. The 240mms are towed guns IIRC so they're around but probably a way back in the marching order.

And yes, cleaning up is the hardest part; all too many people forget that.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
PaperJack
Youngling

Post by PaperJack »

so this is pretty much what's going to happen :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c
"I'm not a friggin' mercenary; I'm a capitalist adventurer!"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

HAPPY SALVATION DAY EVERYONE! GO COMMIT A SIN OF INDULGENCE TO CELEBRATE OUR EXISTENTIAL FREEDOM!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Now, the hard part begins.
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
-Frederick the Great, 1777
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Bayonet wrote:Now, the hard part begins.
Why do you think there's gonna be a third book?
ImageImage
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Seven Up

Post by darksoul »

Werrf wrote:
darksoul wrote:mind numbing, actually. which leads us to another potential problem in the future: if we stablish Michael or any other puppet government in Heaven, and embark ourselves in a series of stargate-y explorations in buble worlds, preemptively, I suppose, if we find some race looted by angels, would they be entitled to ask for reparations? will we pressure angels to return something to them, an apology at least?
I got the impression that once Yahweh is done with looting a species, they get handed over to Satan to be destroyed, so there's not going to be enough left to demand anything.
but what if? besides, the other pantheons retreated, they were defeated but not destroyed and are powerful enough to strike some deal with us involving the angels giving some of the stolen/taken/destroyed goods back.
that would make a good court case.
With the succubus as a lawyer for, say, the Aesir. Talk about Devil`s advocate...
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

Happy Salvation Day!

We need some traditions...

Fireworks! (duh)
Alcohol! (well...)
Food! (...)

We're not very original at this holiday thing, huh.
Last edited by Erra on 2010-07-20 04:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pants?
PaperJack
Youngling

Post by PaperJack »

The Aesir are pretty cool guys in my opinion.
They never pretended they were perfect or omnipotent and they had very humanlike behaviour.
Indeed they acted mostly like humans, along with the Greek & Roman pantheons.
"I'm not a friggin' mercenary; I'm a capitalist adventurer!"
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Stuart wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Well, cleaning up is often the hard part. Speaking of heavy artillery, what about the Republic of China (Taiwan) Army's 240mm howitzers. They have a few on Kinmen and I believe they are still fully operational. Speaking of the ROCA, which Army group did they get bunched in with?
They're in with the Chinese Army Group. The 240mms are towed guns IIRC so they're around but probably a way back in the marching order.

That should make future Cross Straits ties a bit more interesting. I imagine the reason for that would partially be due to language issues.
darksoul wrote:
Werrf wrote:
darksoul wrote:mind numbing, actually. which leads us to another potential problem in the future: if we stablish Michael or any other puppet government in Heaven, and embark ourselves in a series of stargate-y explorations in buble worlds, preemptively, I suppose, if we find some race looted by angels, would they be entitled to ask for reparations? will we pressure angels to return something to them, an apology at least?
I got the impression that once Yahweh is done with looting a species, they get handed over to Satan to be destroyed, so there's not going to be enough left to demand anything.
but what if? besides, the other pantheons retreated, they were defeated but not destroyed and are powerful enough to strike some deal with us involving the angels giving some of the stolen/taken/destroyed goods back.
that would make a good court case.
With the succubus as a lawyer for, say, the Aesir. Talk about Devil`s advocate...
Somehow I don't think we humans would be very sympathetic to be giving anything to any pantheon, and other 'ex-worshipping species" probably have first dibs on the loot.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Simon_Jester wrote:They usually do it by making the wizards the protagonists (many examples, Harry Potter being perhaps the most famous one that is both recent, well received, and artistically decent), or by giving the hero an excess of manly determination (Conan the Barbarian).

The point being that there's a genre convention whereby superpowers must confer a significant advantage, without any corresponding disadvantage to offset it: the wizard's magic blasts give him firepower equivalent to a guy with a pistol, but for some reason you won't see him going down to a random guy with a pistol.
That would be pretty silly, yeah.
Stuart's entire story is built around the subversion of that convention, by creating supermen who are actually kind of dumb and easily beaten by a savvy opponent with better engineering and organizational skills. Hence the screaming from the anti-fans; they can feel their genre convention being violated and it hurts, but they don't quite understand what the problem is*, and that makes them angry.
Well, I can clearly articulate what the problem is; defeating the villains is simply a matter of getting to them, but the story isn't about that process. It tries to be about everything else that happens while that goes on.

The only tension we get is from "what ineffectual, outmoded quackery are the poor, stupid widdle demons/angels going to pull on us next? Oh wow, that one might inconvenience us for a few months. (It will have next to no effect on our warmaking efforts whatsoever.)"
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stuart wrote: They're in with the Chinese Army Group. The 240mms are towed guns IIRC so they're around but probably a way back in the marching order.

The 240mm howitzers are towed, but in two pieces as you have to dismount the barrel and move everything on dolleys. A 6x6 20 ton crane was used to assemble in position, after which you have a 60 degree arc of fire. The US Army managed to get that process down to 1-2 hours in Italy though it was supposed to take at least 4 hours by the book. Heaviest shells of any operational artillery piece today. Mind you making the weapon self propelled would be easy today, the US Army actually ordered a Pershing tank based SP mount for both the 240mm howitzer and 8in gun into production in WW2. Stupid war had to get nuked before more then two had been produced.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2010-07-20 05:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Wow. Very nice, Stuart. I'm impressed.

Remind me: Is this the last chapter in this book, or are there a few more coming (I thought I read some reference to there being 87 chapters or some such number...and yes, of course I'm left wanting more)?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Erra wrote:Happy Salvation Day!

Fireworks! (duh)
Alcohol! (well...)
Food! (...)

We'll pretty much just have the BATF just operate in reverse for a day. Also more sex.
ImageImage
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Simon_Jester wrote:Stuart's entire story is built around the subversion of that convention, by creating supermen who are actually kind of dumb and easily beaten by a savvy opponent with better engineering and organizational skills. Hence the screaming from the anti-fans; they can feel their genre convention being violated and it hurts, but they don't quite understand what the problem is*, and that makes them angry.

*If they did, they might be less enthusiastic about stories where the superheroes always win, because they'd be thinking through the implications of that...
That may be true for some of the critics but not for all of them. I quite like the idea of magic users going down hard before technology because technology has a huge inherent advantage of being more democratic - see any technology indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced for a nice explanation of what I mean. The thing is making this the theme of the story, and making the tech users the good guys, and making it so the good guys are superior to the bad guys and the bad guys stand basically ultimately have no chance, and continuing this for two full-length novels ... well, IMO it takes a certain level of subtlety to keep that from looking wanky, and IMO TSW does not have the necessary subtlety.

You can, of course, disagree with that, it's inherently subjective, but it doesn't have anything to do with wanting any particular presentation of magic.
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:They usually do it by making the wizards the protagonists (many examples, Harry Potter being perhaps the most famous one that is both recent, well received, and artistically decent), or by giving the hero an excess of manly determination (Conan the Barbarian).

The point being that there's a genre convention whereby superpowers must confer a significant advantage, without any corresponding disadvantage to offset it: the wizard's magic blasts give him firepower equivalent to a guy with a pistol, but for some reason you won't see him going down to a random guy with a pistol.
That would be pretty silly, yeah.
Stuart's entire story is built around the subversion of that convention, by creating supermen who are actually kind of dumb and easily beaten by a savvy opponent with better engineering and organizational skills. Hence the screaming from the anti-fans; they can feel their genre convention being violated and it hurts, but they don't quite understand what the problem is*, and that makes them angry.
Well, I can clearly articulate what the problem is; defeating the villains is simply a matter of getting to them, but the story isn't about that process. It tries to be about everything else that happens while that goes on.

The only tension we get is from "what ineffectual, outmoded quackery are the poor, stupid widdle demons/angels going to pull on us next? Oh wow, that one might inconvenience us for a few months. (It will have next to no effect on our warmaking efforts whatsoever.)"
Wow, are you seriously back again?

We get it, you don't like the story, or at least think that it has gone in a bad direction. You've managed to say the same exact thing every time you post. One would wonder, for someone who is so vehemently opposed to the story, why are you still in this thread, commenting, and probably reading that same story?

Oh, because you're a fail troll.
Pants?
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Aaand Junghalli puts it way better than I did.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Erra wrote:Wow, are you seriously back again?

We get it, you don't like the story, or at least think that it has gone in a bad direction. You've managed to say the same exact thing every time you post. One would wonder, for someone who is so vehemently opposed to the story, why are you still in this thread, commenting, and probably reading that same story?

Oh, because you're a fail troll.
Good to know that "story has gone in bad direction" means "story is unreadable" to you. You must have a very black and white view of things.
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Good to know that "story has gone in bad direction" means "story is unreadable" to you. You must have a very black and white view of things.
You're putting words in my mouth. I could have assumed you still read (and partially enjoy) the story, even though you dislike it, if it weren't for the fact that every single post you make in this thread make it sound as though you wouldn't be caught dead reading it. Since that is, in fact, the case, I can only assume that you are trolling out of ignorance or for laughs.
Pants?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Junghalli wrote:That may be true for some of the critics but not for all of them. I quite like the idea of magic users going down hard before technology because technology has a huge inherent advantage of being more democratic - see any technology indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced for a nice explanation of what I mean. The thing is making this the theme of the story, and making the tech users the good guys, and making it so the good guys are superior to the bad guys and the bad guys stand basically ultimately have no chance, and continuing this for two full-length novels ... well, IMO it takes a certain level of subtlety to keep that from looking wanky, and IMO TSW does not have the necessary subtlety.

You can, of course, disagree with that, it's inherently subjective, but it doesn't have anything to do with wanting any particular presentation of magic.
Actually, I'm inclined to agree, because I think that's a valid criticism of the work. But you're not one of the screaming anti-fans; in hindsight, I should have defined my terms better.

Unlike the people I'm talking about, you do recognize the genre convention, rather than just assuming it will hold in the sense that fish might assume that the universe is full of water. And you've got a good grasp of why that convention is used, and what can go wrong when you violate it. Your criticism is more founded in questions of art, rather than being a case of "waaah this isn't like all the other stories with magic I read!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

I wonder if Michael knows that we can be as cruel in peace as we are in war...
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Nematocyst wrote:I wonder if Michael knows that we can be as cruel in peace as we are in war...
Really? Is 'We' America, or Humans? In the last 60 years, whenever Western powers won a war, we usually send massive aid and help rebuild.
ImageImage
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

PaperJack wrote:The Aesir are pretty cool guys in my opinion.
They never pretended they were perfect or omnipotent and they had very humanlike behaviour.
Indeed they acted mostly like humans, along with the Greek & Roman pantheons.
Yes, and unlike Greek and Romans, they weren`t idiots drunk on their own powers and tyrannical with humans. they were more like very very powerful and wise humans. And evil, when they wanted to be :)
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Fireworks! (duh)
Alcohol! (well...)
Food! (...)

we can burn crosses. it`s not as if it means anything anymore.
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Somehow I don't think we humans would be very sympathetic to be giving anything to any pantheon, and other 'ex-worshipping species" probably have first dibs on the loot.
you have a point on that. So i guess I`ll have to force my point. If the orcs wanted to sue the baldricks, or the Elders want to sue the "Yahwe Estate", if there is such thing, what would humans do?

hey, we should totally sell bracelets with WWHD printed in Heaven! Although irony would be largely lost :(
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

Fireworks! (duh)
Alcohol! (well...)
Food! (...)

Angel-shaped pinatas. :lol:
Instead of fireworks, Annual Grenade-Tossing Contests and Ceremonial Fighter-Plane Duels. :D

And the whole end seems ... anticlimactic. Not to mention Belial is still at large. A third story is in the works.