True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by loomer »

True Blood continues to fulfill its quotient of surprisingly awkward sex fantasies and titties.

I am sated.

Also,
-Alcide needs some fucking chest hair. Werewolves should not have smooth, glistening pecs.
-Franklin needs to learn to duct-tape properly. You go all the way around the head or it won't work. You also need cloth stuffing. Other than that, Grade A.
-I would so watch a show that was Eric and Lafayette taking over the criminal underworld of Louisiana with Jason and Andy trying to stop them. Two winning combinations.
-The stripper calling herself Carmilla was a nice little nod for a vampire show. Carmilla was the first non-serial vampire story to be published and featured a lesbian vampiress seducing and feeding from a young woman, who she's been visiting since she was a child. Makes you think of Pam a bit.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This episode made my skin crawl in so many ways. Eagerly looking forward to that face-to-face meeting.

Also, the magister ruled as always.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ghetto edit: Oh, and the "German" was very badly accentuated. It sounded horrible and used the wrong vocabulary.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Aren't they supposed to be speaking Swedish?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Netko wrote:Aren't they supposed to be speaking Swedish?
Talking about Russel and his werewolves.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Is it just me, or is this season edging more and more towards the "Gross out" factor?
First last episodes neck twist, now the fully displayed mass feeding. Whatever happened to subtlety? To implying? To letting the direction and visual hints show something?
I just like these bits a lot less, it just seems so ... juvenile.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Is it just me, or is this season edging more and more towards the "Gross out" factor?
First last episodes neck twist, now the fully displayed mass feeding. Whatever happened to subtlety? To implying? To letting the direction and visual hints show something?
What, did you actually see the first season? The bleeding out of hitchhikers by Bill's acquintances? Feeding at Fangtasia?
------------
------------
My LPs
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Thanas wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:Is it just me, or is this season edging more and more towards the "Gross out" factor?
What, did you actually see the first season? The bleeding out of hitchhikers by Bill's acquintances? Feeding at Fangtasia?
Guess I forgot about that, or I skipped it. (It's been a while :P). It (A scene) not being memorable is hardly a point in it's favour in my opinion.

I'm hardly squeamish, I just dislike grossouts for the sake of it, especially when so inelegantly done. I mean, take the last episode for example, it would have worked more effectively to see Spoiler
her just lunge for the neck, the king licking his bloody lips and then Bill joining in while blood pooled under the car
Rather than the above with the addition of "Hmm, minced meat!"
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:I'm hardly squeamish, I just dislike grossouts for the sake of it, especially when so inelegantly done. I mean, take the last episode for example, it would have worked more effectively to see Spoiler
her just lunge for the neck, the king licking his bloody lips and then Bill joining in while blood pooled under the car
Rather than the above with the addition of "Hmm, minced meat!"
You must not remember a lot of S1 then.
------------
------------
My LPs
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

During the 'Werewolf Bar' scence, after the 'Alpha' Shifted, I was like "Oh Crap, is he going to do some wolf-form dominance on her? In front of the rest of the pack no less?"

Fortunately, that didn't happen.

And at least Bill has good taste in meals... :twisted:
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I'd say it did. Just off screen, because I don't think even HBO was prepared to show bestiality.

Give it a few years and then maybe.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

loomer wrote:I'd say it did. Just off screen, because I don't think even HBO was prepared to show bestiality.

Give it a few years and then maybe.
Hell, the 'WTF, is he going to moment' is probably more of a shock then the wolf actually doing it on screen.

Cause now you have to imagine it!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Would it kill a fucking vampire to clean up after a meal? Jesus.

-Franklin appears to be the new Spike. Gloriously fucked up bastard. "But if we're gonna be together you have to remember... That I'm alive. I have needs. Like food."
-Gogo bad CG wolves!
-They've got Jessica down perfectly, as far as the petty teenage spite goes. Adolescence: now with Superpowers! Spoiler
-Jason gonna get him some werepanther cootch!
-Bill continues to get shit done when he's flying solo.
-Loving me the Eric flashbacks. This'd explain his absolute hatred for werewolves.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Another good episode. The only thing I find myself caring less for is the white trash storyline - and Jason. Bill is quickly becoming awesome, Eric's flashbacks are great and I can't wait for the magister to reappear.

And James Frain shows why he is such a fantastic actor.

EDIT:
Tara: We need to talk
Franklin: Don't say that. Women say that and then everything goes black and I wake up surrounded by body parts.
------------
------------
My LPs
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

Thanas wrote:...

EDIT:
Franklin: Don't say that. Women say that and then everything goes black and I wake up surrounded by body parts.
That is the best lines in any episode of TB, ever, so far. :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Not really, but close.
------------
------------
My LPs
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Thanas wrote:Not really, but close.
What was better then? :P
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Man, the body count on this season is going to be stratospheric.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ShadowOfMadness wrote:
Thanas wrote:Not really, but close.
What was better then? :P

Sookie: You were just licking blood out of my head. I don't think it gets much more personal than that. (in response zo whether Bill might ask her a personal question)

Bill (to Hoyt) "If you do not leave I will throw you out. Through a window. That is closed."
Sookie: "Bill, that was just rude."

Godric: "I am older than your Jesus, I never met him though, pity I missed him"

Lorena: "There's no excuse for domestic violence."

"We're special Ops. We're surgical, one shot! Say hello to my little friend! Hasta la vista baby! I love the smell of nail polish in the morning!" - Jason

"there's vampire in your cleavage." - Pam

Bill: I find myself doubting whether you were ever truly human.
Pam: [smiling] Thank you.

Pam: [looking around the freezer] Hmmm. This is nice. I could sleep here in a pinch.

Jason: [after being shot] I'm alive. Holy shit. God saved me. I'm saved.
Sarah Newlin: [holding a gun] Oh, for heaven's sake, grow a brain cell. Paintballs!

Sheriff Dearborne: You might have your faults Andy, but at least you got pants on.
------------
------------
My LPs
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Hmmmm I'd say all of those come close but just quite aren't quite as good.

Personal preference I suspect. ;)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Someone buy me the damned DVDs so I can actually watch this? Nit won't spring for HBO.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Thanas wrote:Another good episode. The only thing I find myself caring less for is the white trash storyline - and Jason. Bill is quickly becoming awesome, Eric's flashbacks are great and I can't wait for the magister to reappear.

And James Frain shows why he is such a fantastic actor.

EDIT:

pretty much all that went on last episode is good, the story seems to be moving forward all around and doesn't seem to be sloshing around anywhere really.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

The whole Jason bit in the Sheriff's office was hilarious, as was him playing cop with aviators and without a shirt on :D

Eric's flashbacks are great indeed. I wonder how he's planning to get his revenge now.

Oh, and I wonder if that nurse guy has an agenda, too, or if it's just Lafayette getting something good for a change (well, besides his new ride).

Sam's storyline really is pretty weak compared to the other stuff going on.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Knowing True Blood, there is no way in hell that the thing with Lafayette will have a good ending :D
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

charlemagne wrote:The whole Jason bit in the Sheriff's office was hilarious, as was him playing cop with aviators and without a shirt on :D
I'm flat out astounded as to how well Ryan plays the vacant himbo, it's amazing.
charlemagne wrote:Eric's flashbacks are great indeed. I wonder how he's planning to get his revenge now.
I haven't read spoilers (or the book), this is just my theories; through Talbert (spell?). Me thinks Eric is going to impress upon Russell the full measure of pain of losing one's progeny.
charlemagne wrote:Oh, and I wonder if that nurse guy has an agenda, too, or if it's just Lafayette getting something good for a change (well, besides his new ride).
Not him, if anything Lafayette's mother (I anticipate) will be the big bad in his personal life; meaning she's the one that will hurt him here.
charlemagne wrote:Sam's storyline really is pretty weak compared to the other stuff going on.
I disagree; I think there is something that is so twisted and dark lurking under the surface that it will shock when revealed; my theory illegal dog fighting with Tommy being the pup that's earning Jollee's (spell?) money.
LadyTevar wrote:Someone buy me the damned DVDs so I can actually watch this? Nit won't spring for HBO.
To be perfectly honest with you, it's the best way to watch the show, as one episode bleeds into another, watching it in one hour slots separated by a week is painful. If you really want to view them, PM me and I might be able to help you out!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'