The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Nine Up

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Didn't Jamie once mention that he knew some guys in the military? Maybe said strings were pulled.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
westrim
Youngling

Post by westrim »

Well, now we know how the gates are coming down. And the Mythbusters showed up! A couple things:

What's the pilots deal? Suicide if it's a rough landing? Guy, shit happens, and however important she may be, she's not exactly the Polish head of state (pow!) :D

Also, the realizations aboard the Turner Joy seem a bit... late. They didn't already know the lakes status? That Bermuda was fucked up? That there was a fleet of other ships right outside?
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Current cover design. This is a much-downsized version and lower ppi.

Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Arachnidus
Youngling

Post by Arachnidus »

Stuart wrote:Current cover design. This is a much-downsized version and lower ppi.

Haha, I love the back synopsis.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Awesome cover. That said, I've never been too fond of the "???" in the title.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Nice. But, as Bass, the '???' bugs me a bit.

I hope the Pantheocide cover has a cross shot up for extra fundie butthurt.
Also, will the international versions (if any) be different?
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
MGlBlaze
Redshirt

Post by MGlBlaze »

The tripple-question-mark thing bugs me a bit too.
Nematocyst wrote:I hope the Pantheocide cover has a cross shot up for extra fundie butthurt.
Also, will the international versions (if any) be different?
Yes!
I'd love to see the dumb uneducated reactions to that. :lol:

Also, General Dynamics Land Systems yeah for the Mythbusters!
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Nice use of Lt. Chard, I do hope that means there won't be any lasts stands.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Great update, and I wonder Stuart - Were you inspired by This XKCD, or is it just convergent thought?

Also when did the Korean Destroyer get re-classed as a Cruiser (I know it has a VLS load out similar to that of the Ticonderogas, but I was under the impression that they had Destroyer Hull Numbers and over all designations)?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I agree with the consensus that the cover is awesome but that the "???" just does not fit well in a book title. I really think you might want to reconsider that one, Stuart...
westrim wrote:What's the pilots deal? Suicide if it's a rough landing? Guy, shit happens, and however important she may be, she's not exactly the Polish head of state (pow!) :D
She's more popular than the Polish head of state.Waay more popular. Sufficiently so to trigger a protective reflex from vast swarming legions of people you do NOT want angry at you.

That said, still a bit of an overreaction.
Stuart wrote:SAS Detachment, Eternal City, HeavenCrowleigh nodded. Dempsey had summarized the message very well. Time to give orders. "Right lads. Into uniform and pick up our arms. You heard Dempsey, we're to patrol our patch in a military manner and take no shit from anybody." There was a chuckle around the team. Crowleigh's Scottish burr had added a note of class to the orders he had summarized.
"If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by the United States Marines..." who, in turn, are using street maps drawn up by the SAS. :mrgreen:
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Ilya Muromets wrote:Didn't Jamie once mention that he knew some guys in the military? Maybe said strings were pulled.
Well, for one myth they DID managed to get a Gatling gun with ammo, and don't forget they also manage to get lots of explosives...
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Simon_Jester wrote: That said, still a bit of an overreaction.
Perhaps, but this is one of those potentially lousy assignments. The best thing that can happen is that you are invisible. Kitten will go down in history. You are just the busdriver. Yeah, you get some good war stories when it's over but if something goes wrong, then you go down in history. :cry:

And the Emperor did personally send her some tea.

And it initially looks that,
When the Army and the Navy finally look on Heaven's scenes, they will find its streets are guarded by SAS teams. :roll:
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
-Frederick the Great, 1777
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

JN1 wrote:Nice use of Lt. Chard, I do hope that means there won't be any lasts stands.
Chard and his merry men won and most survived. It wasn't a last stand. :P

Well, at least not in the strictest sense.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

I for one must say that getting the Mythbusters in there should qualify as a Crowning Moment of Awesome. I can't wait to see what the TVTropes page says about that one >_>

Also, a couple of suggestions on the book cover:

1. Drop the "???" - it just simply doesn't look right.

2. Shrink the synopsis size (not the content, just the text size), but keep it centered. It just looks... odd, the way it is.

3. If you do do the above, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a little About the Author section, but, by all means, if you don't want to, by all means don't.
ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Night_stalker wrote:
Ilya Muromets wrote:Didn't Jamie once mention that he knew some guys in the military? Maybe said strings were pulled.
Well, for one myth they DID managed to get a Gatling gun with ammo, and don't forget they also manage to get lots of explosives...
Also, they got two tanks for another myth.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Chamale
Redshirt

Post by Chamale »

I think I'll add my voice to the chorus saying that the cover is good, but the "???" isn't. I'd much prefer "Armageddon", or possibly "Armageddon?"
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

It's like a hobbit's birthday! Thanks!

Yes, I concur with the dislike of multiple question marks, as some may have guessed from me leaving them out in the C & C story listing since I could get away with it there.

The Mythbusters probably just wanted to be there for the explosion and made an excuse to do it, but they must have some really serious connections or a fan or fans in really high places to be able to get there that fast.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

I like the cover a lot but agree the "???" should be dropped in favor of just "Armageddon".
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

The ??? is now ?
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Stuart wrote:The ??? is now ?
Either that or none at all, but, yeah.
ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Sweet cupping cakes! Yeah! Woohoo! *runs off to fix things*

If I wasn't clear enough before, happy birthday and I guess this means that we have to buy the book for our birthdays now?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Well, it's slightly less foreshadowing now.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Loved this one too!

Some of the Angels still don't get it, hah. They're the lower ranks, who often seem to have the most trouble adapting to an upended social order.

I suppose that dumping Yahweh's body into the lake was a way to ensure that the angels didn't find out Michael had killed him? Would have been nice to study the body though.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

How difficult will it be to get a copy from the UK when it comes out?
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Teebs wrote: How difficult will it be to get a copy from the UK when it comes out?
No problem at all. It'll be available via amazon.co.uk.