SMAKIBBFB

Re: The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by weemadando »

buk buk buk buk
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Random note. I have to give props to Renee (who I train with at Carlson Gracie Australia). She might only be a blue belt, but so far this year she's:

Won the Oceania ADCC qualifiers.
Came third at Abu Dhabi (fighting in womens open - so open weight, all belts). She lost on points to the current Mundials champ who then went on to win.
And she just won her actual division (blue belt, weight div) at the Rio Open and came third in the women's absolutes again.

And to top it off, she's a total fucking geek (takes part in Zombie marches, is a Lovecraft fan and all the rest). Well done that woman.

The rest of the team that went over have also gone fairly well. Dustin (our resident Hawaiian) picked up third in his divison and Ben Hall (our coach) is due to fight tomorrow morning with him being lucky enough to draw the Mundials champ in the first round...

On to actual MMA

Miguel Torres' Twitter is the gift that keeps on giving:
Concerning training camps, @sonnench answers I don't sleep in a tent or roast marsh mellows. Camps are for kids.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Someone's been watching Rampage highlight videos.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Anderson Silva prepares for Chael Sonnen:

I hope that he pulls this out and dances over Sonnen's KTFO body.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

ESPN's Top 10 Plays for the week had the SARAHBOMB as #4, and Machida's confirmed that his next opponent is Rampage. :)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I agree with Jordan Breen re: the ESPN Top 10 Plays when Gerald Harris' SLAMKO!!! was number eight:

"What sports are on right now? Baseball? It's not the World Cup yet, Basketballs over, no Football. Are you really telling me that there were SEVEN more amazing things that happened in sport today?"
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

It has LeBron James' endorsement! :lol:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Edward Yee wrote:ESPN's Top 10 Plays for the week had the SARAHBOMB as #4, and Machida's confirmed that his next opponent is Rampage. :)
Easy win for Machida. Unless Rampage grows a brain and just goes in throwing bombs. In theory he could take it since Machida doesn't have the power to put him to sleep, Rampage could walk through his punches while throwing big shots to put Machida out for good. But he's kinda lacking in the brains & game planning department so Machida shouldn't have any trouble out pointing for 3 rounds.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:Unless Rampage grows a brain and just goes in throwing bombs.
How is this a good thing for Rampage? I don't think Machida is above plain ol' running away, Tito-vs-Wanderlei-style, to avoid an "all power" rush...

Incidentally, I don't recall Machida's wrestling being tested since late May 2008 by Ortiz, other than Shogun, so it'll be an interesting test for him in that department... ya know, if Rampage doesn't "pull a Rashad UFC 98" and completely forget his wrestling.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, I agree. Can someone point out where Machida has shown a weakness to the hay-maker barrage?

The wrestling might be interesting, but really, Jackson's top game isn't really that wonderful and Machida will likely sweep or escape with ease.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, I agree. Can someone point out where Machida has shown a weakness to the hay-maker barrage?
It'd be darkly hilarious if Rampage actually "pulls a Shogun" and starts walking him down and going after the legs... but so far Machida had to be seriously threatened and pressured before he could be baited into going overaggressive, and the key was to figure out the footwork; Machida's legendary "distance" might give him the time to hightail it away from a barrage, or if Rampage tries to open up too close -- clinch up and take the punches away.

EDIT: I should also note that Machida wouldn't necessary have to "turn tail and run with his back to Rampage," Chris Horodecki-style, to run away from a "berserking" Rampage, though of course he could misjudge the distances involved and get caught.
The wrestling might be interesting, but really, Jackson's top game isn't really that wonderful and Machida will likely sweep or escape with ease.
Depends on how much damage or energy-depletion they've taken once it hits the floor. The reason for my interest is that Machida hasn't had his wrestling tested so hard it seems since UFC 84 -- when Tito's wrestling was, relatively speaking, just a failure... I remember Machida actually sidestepping one of Tito's shots before Tito actually moved forward! Thiago Silva didn't do that much (even had he survived R1, it was a 10-8), Evans only cagewalked after the R1 knockdown, and Shogun admitted that he didn't try too hard on the takedowns in their first fight due to not wanting to expend much energy in that.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, I agree. Can someone point out where Machida has shown a weakness to the hay-maker barrage?
2nd fight against Shogun right after Shogun was taken down for the 1st time. Shogun went after him throwing punches Vitor Belfort style and hit him clean, Machida looked like he was a bit shakey when he went for and got the 2nd takedown.

Let's face it, the only way Rampage wins is if he catches Machida with a lucky punch, and the only way he's going to get one to land is to throw a ton a of them while chasing after him.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

He should be stalking, not chasing...

Oh, unless Machida's fixed his technique for throwing "Muay Thai clinch knees" (last known footage was versus David Heath), don't expect him to win that way.

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Re: Gomi, Takanori: OWWWWWWWW.

Oh yeah, Sexyama versus Leben in comic form.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

To: Griffin, Tyson.
Re: Sportsmanship.

How about you find some.

And Jon Jones shows off his ridiculous skills once more.

Best of all though, Cecil Peoples only spoils a UD for Okami by making it an SD with his fucking stupid logic: "hurrr, stuffed takedown is still takedown, right?"
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

If I were feeling charitable, I'd assume that Griffin was just too out-of-it mentally, like the time another Griffin acted unsporting after being KO'd in the first round. Seriously though, I'm told that that kill punch was awesome as hell, and that from a kinematics standpoint the leg kick may have made it even worse for Griffin -- seeing as Gomi's feet came off the ground only to come back down planted.

Did you give Munoz even one round though? (Seeing as the other judges apparently had it 29-28 as well.)

EDIT: Damn you Jose Aldo and Jon Jones, you're MY AGE and headlining shows. :angry:

*Looks for the detonator on that second line of claymores*

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Munoz definitely won round two. Okami definitely won round two. Round one was by no means definitive, but Okami was landing better strikes more regularly and stuffed every takedown attempt.

As for the Gomi win, he threw that punch from the other side of the pacific.:

Another classic from Middle Easy:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Gomi won but I'm not sure he's back to the old Gomi yet, he still looked kinda stiff & uncertain with his punches until he somehow landed that haymaker. I'm taking a wait & see approach on him.

With the Okami fight I give the 2nd round to Munoz for rocking Okami a few times and getting takedown. 1st round goes to Okami though it's fairly close, and 3rd round was a clear win for Okami.

Jon Jones impressed but what the hell was Vladi doing on the ground? He practically put himself into a crucifix with the way he kept sticking his arm out to the side to try & get a sweep or whatever he was trying to do. All Jones had to do was step over his arm for the crucifix, you can't leave your arm out when the guy's about to pass guard and get side control, you need to get it tucked in close so the guy can't trap it.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:
Jon Jones impressed but what the hell was Vladi doing on the ground? He practically put himself into a crucifix with the way he kept sticking his arm out to the side to try & get a sweep or whatever he was trying to do. All Jones had to do was step over his arm for the crucifix, you can't leave your arm out when the guy's about to pass guard and get side control, you need to get it tucked in close so the guy can't trap it.

I think that he was still in shock that Jones landed a takedown on him that you never see in MMA and only sometimes see in top level judo or at Abu Dhabi.

That far leg reap was just amazing.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

GSP did it to Matt Hughes in their 3rd fight, and Karo Parisyan must've done it to someone during his UFC career.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It is not really disproving my point when new GSP and maybe Karo did it.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

True, it's pretty rare to see that kind of a takedown but it does happen every once in a while in MMA.
I'd say it's kinda like the powerbomb KO, happens about as frequently too.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

The highlight of the UFC 117 pre-fight presser: The Silva-Sonnen post-staredown.

Oh, and when Sonnen mentioned his political office run where he got 99.6% of the (primary) vote, Ariel Helwani asked if that was the one where he ran unopposed. ;) Also, the winner of Fitch/Alves gets the winner of GSP/Koscheck... even though Fitch has promised to flee the welterweight division if Koscheck wins.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My picks:
Silva R1 Sub - I see Chael getting the takedown and getting triangled pretty much immediately. Alternately, he'll catch a knee on the way in during r2.

Alves R3 TKO - Fitch'll survive a while, but assuming that Alves hasn't killed himself in the weight cut, it won't end well for him.

Almeida U.Dec - Hughes is good, but he's not as good as he once was.

Nelson R2 Sub - R1 will be brutal for Nelson but he'll stay alive, get a takedown and control. R2 he'll do the same earlier and end it late.

Dos Anjos S. Dec - Dos Anjos will win the fight, but Guida will probably win the decision.

Davis R1 KO - Seriously, is anyone giving "Sho Nuff The Masta" a chance in this fight - last I saw the tipping percentages were 97/3.

Saunders R2 TKO - no explanation really required.

Struve R2 Sub - just a matter of time really.

Boetsch R1 KO - CABER TOSS!

Hendricks U. Dec - Wrassler v Wrassler. Expect 3 rounds of not great boxing.