What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm reading The Big Picture by Edward Epstein. It's an interesting book that seems to be going into some of the details about how a movie's made, with particular emphasis on the "financial" side of things.

I might start up Peter Brett's The Desert Spear, but it may be a long time coming. I just finished Painted Man/Warded Man, and I really started losing interest near the end of it (and there were several characters I wasn't too hot on the whole time). Then throw in some of the reviews about TDS, about how it Spoiler
seems to have a copious amount of poorly depicted rape, along with more Leesha sex emphasis,
, and I'm not exactly enthusiastic to start.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Yeah, there's no denying that the society depicted in The Desert Spear is pretty brutal. Jardir does seem to be changing things, ever so slightly, for the better, but he would still be convicted for crimes against humanity in any civilized country.

I enjoyed the book, although not the brutality scenes, including another round of that "brutalized recruits become tough soldiers" meme so common in right wing wank sci-fi. You learn more about the corelings and how they relate to the world, as well as seeing some advancement in Arlen's character. Leesha comes across as a bit of a Mary Sue, but considering the other two characters are the Deliverer and the Sar Dama Ka (other messiah character), it seems more reasonable. While there is an unfortunate amount of rape (mostly offscreen), there is also a ton of consentual sex. I guess Brett was thinking "Everyone gets laid!" You might want to wait and see how the next book is received, since the Desert Spear is very much a middle book in a series.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

I just started The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, it's definitely not what I expected and a lot funnier than the title sounds.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

muse wrote:I just started The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, it's definitely not what I expected and a lot funnier than the title sounds.
That's brilliant. Did you get the one that has the extra short stories at the end?

And once you are done with that, prepare to enjoy The Jennifer Morgue even more.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The third book in the Laundry series is out as well now, The Fuller Memorandum. It's a tighter thriller than the previous two, but still finds time for plaenty of funny.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And I just requested that my local library purchase it... Gotta wait for paperback to match my collection.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

About to read Moscow 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March by Adam Zamyoski. I've heard good things about the solid quality of the research behind it, so I ordered a copy from a local bookstore.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm taking a break from fantasy and am working on Clive Cussler's Valhall Risisng. A decent entry in the Dirk Pitt series.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

JME2 wrote:I'm taking a break from fantasy and am working on Clive Cussler's Valhall Risisng. A decent entry in the Dirk Pitt series.
Is that the one where South American Nazzies want to build huge ass ocean liners and kill the rest of the world's population?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

JME2 wrote:I'm taking a break from fantasy and am working on Clive Cussler's Valhall Risisng. A decent entry in the Dirk Pitt series.

The argument can be convincingly made that Cussler is the height of fantasy.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

[R_H] wrote:
Is that the one where South American Nazzies want to build huge ass ocean liners and kill the rest of the world's population?
No, that's Atlantis Found.
weemadando wrote:
The argument can be convincingly made that Cussler is the height of fantasy.
Fair point. But I've just slugged my way through the Harry Potter and Narnia books; maritime historical fiction and thrillers are a needed break. And I haven't re-read Cussler in a while, so it's good to come back to the series.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Under the Banner of Heaven by Ken Krakauer. Those wacky, wacky Mormons! :::shudder:::
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

weemadando wrote:That's brilliant. Did you get the one that has the extra short stories at the end?

And once you are done with that, prepare to enjoy The Jennifer Morgue even more.
It has "The Concrete Jungle" at the end so that's only one short story, I take it there's a version with several stories?

I'll see if my libraries have a copy of The Jennifer Morgue somewhere, I'd buy it but I really have no space left in my place.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I am now going through The Truelove. The series is fast approaching its end, only 5 more after this! If anyone has read 21, the unfinished novel, is it worth reading it even though it is unfinished? I hate reading unfinished works usually, but I make exceptions for exceptional cases.

Would also be interested in other novels or series of a similar flavour. They don't need to be nautical in setting, something set during the Napoleonic Wars or Regency Period would be good too.
XXXI
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I finished Belarus last weekend. Bought it at a second hand bookstore, which meant they didn't have the second book in the series.

It was quite good, I especially liked the Baba Yaga and Grigory (blood red gems where his eyes were) characters. The introduction to the setting was way too rushed though, the author tried to describe it far too quickly. I hope she writes more novels set in that universe though, because it's quite interesting.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The last books I bought, I bought a few months ago. Upon seeing them at the second-hand bookstore's sci-fi section, I instantly knew I had to buy them, no question.

One of the books was Neuromancer. Self-explanatory.

The other one was The Legend of Banzai Maguire by Susan Grant. I never heard of it, but once I saw the cover and the synopsis at the back*, I knew I had to acquire it.

*Behold:
The year: 2006. The mission: routine. Or so U.S.A.F. pilot Bree "Banzai" Maguire thinks. Then she's shot down over enemy airspace, captured and put in bio-stasis. When she wakes, everything's changed. It's one hundred and seventy years later--2176--the world is in crisis, and she's a hotly contested prize. Once, Banzai's job was to protect democracy; now a mysterious voice claims she must bring it back.

Two men vie for her heart. Kyber, her captor, the rich, ruthless Emperor Prince of Asia, has all a man could desire. Then there's U.C.E. SEAL commander and would-be rescuer Ty Armstrong. He has all the right moves. With two such choices, Banzai regrets she has but one heart to give for her country.
Unfortunately, despite being unemployed and bumming at home, I have not yet started reading anything so far. Neuromancer is on my desk, and this one is at the head of my bed.

Bah, I am so lazy.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I found Neuromancer a letdown, but by the time I read it I had already been spoiled by Neal Stephenson.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Nightbringer, a Warhammer 40k novel by Graham McNeil. Reminds me a lot of the old EE Doc Smith Lensman series.

Except some of the torture scenes are more gruesome and explicit.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm working on Steig Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. An engrossing mystery; I can't put it down.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

JME2 wrote:I'm working on Steig Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. An engrossing mystery; I can't put it down.
I read it a couple weeks ago, I felt the same way about it as well. I didn't like the second one though.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's an alternate history where the Black Death wipes out 99% of Europe. But it's not like other alternate histories. It has an epic scope, and I really like how he's incorporated reincarnation inhere.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I am currently reading The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt, a steampunk/magic/political thriller, and it is absolutely awesome. The pace is unbelievable and the characters and world are well-realised and three dimensional.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I started reading Soul Hunter.

Has anyone here heard of or read any of the Shadowspan books (SM Stirling)?
atheistcanuck
Redshirt

Post by atheistcanuck »

I'm reading Fool Moon, book 2 of the Dresden Files. After that I think I'll finish reading Book 1 of the Codex Alera. But maybe not, I have a long queue of books to read.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

[R_H] wrote:I started reading Soul Hunter.
Well, I finished it yesterday evening. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't continue with Zso Shaal, but Talos was an interesting character, especially that he was an Apothecary and his "second sight" ability. The Night Lords (the 10th conpany anyways) came across as ill-disciplined and raggedy (having no spares, basically no artficers, doing no recruiting) - the price of largely remaining untainted?