True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Yeah, I don't think he's dead either. Goderick's death gets a pass (it was a bath in sunlight) but the tendency to gorily explode when staked suggests that most forms of vampiric death are really messy.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Tonight's episode continues the awesome.

-This is like the sixth time someone's asked Sookie 'What are you?'
-Lorena goes asplodey, yet more evidence Vampires don't die clean. Tara seems to have realized 'oh fuck oh fuck Franklin's not dead' too!
-Bitchy Tara has hopefully returned for good.
-More sexy manflesh.
-That cage is not silver, which means again that the vampires focus more on psychological imprisonment. Gotta wonder if the same would apply to kink with them, especially since the one effective restraint would cause burns. Not such an issue for the SM crowd, but for pure bondage that's not so desirable.
-Bloodbanks still exist - gotta wonder if that was just a mistake. TruBlood exists, afterall, and was developed in order to remove the need for blood donors...
-Jason is simultaneously the best and worst cop.
-Zjelko Ivanek makes the best scummy sadist ever. I love whenever he crops up in anything, so his recurring role here was wonderful. He also gave us confirmation that decapitation works on True Blood vampires!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Did anybody else think Sookie is related to Faeries? The telltale signs were there - water and rosepetals. Apparently said faeries perceive vampires as The Dark. Huh.

Sad to see the Magister go. I really would have preferred to see more of them. I was a bit dismayed how easily Russel put him down. I am betting Nan Flanagan will now get involved at some point, seeing as how she is with the Authority.

A lot of deaths this episode of characters who otherwise would have gotten their own death episode, so to speak. Lorena, The Magister, Cooter....sad to see all those characters go. But Kudos to the show for taking the plunge instead of drawing it out.

To my surprise, the episodes keep getting better and better.

Final thought: The subplots did not bore me this time. Indeed, they are getting more interesting.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Thanas, man, we've known Sookie's got fairy blood since the very first episode, with that chain trick. I've been calling it since the beginning of Season 2.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

loomer wrote:Thanas, man, we've known Sookie's got fairy blood since the very first episode, with that chain trick. I've been calling it since the beginning of Season 2.

Yeah, we thought. Now we got confirmation. Though it will be interesting to see what relation, if any, the courts of Faerie and Vampires got.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

"Don't let him take your light" - I think her blood allows Vampires to walk in Daylight. Notice how Bill was able to walk without much burning directly in the sun? That might also be the reason why the vamps want her.

That said, I think Russel is in for a world of hurt when somebody older than him shows up from the authority.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes, but will the faerie ever be called to task fro kidnapping all those kids in the legends?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

Thanas wrote:"Don't let him take your light" - I think her blood allows Vampires to walk in Daylight. Notice how Bill was able to walk without much burning directly in the sun? That might also be the reason why the vamps want her.

That said, I think Russel is in for a world of hurt when somebody older than him shows up from the authority.
I think Russel is as old (or otherwise possesses a power set that rivals said Authority) as the members of the Authority. He wouldn't be that big of an idiot.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Russel is probably the oldest living vampire NOT in the Authority. He isn't in because he's got alot more darkness and ambition than even THEY were comfortable with.

In Stargate-SG1 terms, he's Anubis. And thanks to Queen Sophie he's found a way to become immune to sunlight and be active 24/7. With Fey blood, vampires don't need to rest.

Ever.

That's why the Fey are so frightened. There aren't enough to fight a war against vampires, and in very ancient times they were enslaved by the vamps.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Russel is definitely in the same league as the Authority, but he needed/wanted something more for an edge. Sookkies day walk powers, the queens luck powers, other things? He might just pull out a Christmas tree effect.

Did anybody catch what that sign said in the fairy world?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

The fairy world just looked like a re-dressing of the cemetary near Bill's house. What did it say?
ImageImage
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote: Sad to see the Magister go. I really would have preferred to see more of them. I was a bit dismayed how easily Russel put him down.
While I love seeing Zeljko be evil, I'm glad that they didn't hesitate to kill him. As for being taken down to easily, he was probably not expecting to be physically attacked by Russel and with Russel's speed a moment is all he needs. The Magister's age is also uncertain. He's been called a "medieval relic" and has claimed to have been trained by the Inquisition. He could have been younger than Erik. He was fearsome because of his legal authority and callousness, not because of his personal power.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Thanas wrote: Sad to see the Magister go. I really would have preferred to see more of them. I was a bit dismayed how easily Russel put him down.
While I love seeing Zeljko be evil, I'm glad that they didn't hesitate to kill him. As for being taken down to easily, he was probably not expecting to be physically attacked by Russel and with Russel's speed a moment is all he needs. The Magister's age is also uncertain. He's been called a "medieval relic" and has claimed to have been trained by the Inquisition. He could have been younger than Erik. He was fearsome because of his legal authority and callousness, not because of his personal power.
didn't he say he was the oldest vampire in the new world at some point earlier in the show though?

might have been the first one he appeared in I think.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Koolaidkirby wrote:didn't he say he was the oldest vampire in the new world at some point earlier in the show though?

He's the oldest in AMERICA. Not sure about world-wide.
ImageImage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

What I really liked about this episode is some of the more subtle things, that perhaps are noticed but not talked about;
  • Sookie is dumb as dog shit.
  • Eric's priorities appear to be Pam > Revenge >the question of Sookie.
Seriously, exactly how dumb would you have to be to willingly lock yourself up with a starving, half dead vampire? More to the point, why would you be surprised that a Vampire appears half dead during daylight? We've already seen that they need to get some shut eye during sun up, or they start bleeding out like when Lorena was holding Bill captive last season (also a nice touch showing the Queen trying to stay conscience while Eric was making sure she couldn't make a run for it/be freed) and she thinks the best thing to do was to cut herself open and feed him?

The mind boggles.

What I love about the Eric subplot is that - I think - the writers are making a concerted effort to show how Eric thinks more in terms of an immortal than Bill (for example). He wants certain things; to save his progeny who he obviously cares for (watch out for the tender moment he has with Pam when she's tied on the table/released), revenge on a Vampire who is two thousand years his senior and to solve the mystery of Sookie, however he doesn't go charging in half cocked with a stake, he plots, plans and aligns.

It's an interesting juxtaposition between the way the two Vampires act; one is still more impulsive - human if you like, while the other is more reptilian in his actions. I think it goes back that blurb that Thanas posted about Vampires and their family relations, Eric was clearly schooled to be an immortal by Godric, whereas Bill hasn't had that at all.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:The fairy world just looked like a re-dressing of the cemetary near Bill's house. What did it say?
Pretty sure it was the Bom Temps cemetary.
Thanas wrote:"Don't let him take your light" - I think her blood allows Vampires to walk in Daylight. Notice how Bill was able to walk without much burning directly in the sun? That might also be the reason why the vamps want her.
That might be a possibility, but it wasn't permanent. It only gave him a mild resistance to the sunlight, and then he started smoking. What is interesting about True Blood Vampires, is that unlike their Anne Rice cousins (for example) as they get older their Vampiric abilities are magnified but so are their weaknesses.

Bill was able to walk from his house to the cemetary to help Sookie in season 1 getting a bit toasty, Godric in season 2 went up like a torch. I believe the quote from Godric was 'It wont take long, not at my age.' So if Bill, a 250 year old Vampire, nearly completely drains Sookie and gains a mild SPF 30 protection from the sun, than Russell a 3 thousand year old Vampire (if they are being consitant) would have to feast on an entire community of Sookies before he can brave it.
Thanas wrote:Sad to see the Magister go. I really would have preferred to see more of them. I was a bit dismayed how easily Russel put him down. I am betting Nan Flanagan will now get involved at some point, seeing as how she is with the Authority.
Eric was dismissive of her when Godric was alive (you don't have to take that from her!), I don't think Russell will be quaking that much. I have to wonder with the Authority ... if we take season 2 and Eric's estimation of Godric into account; that being that Godric could have been King in 'any territory he wanted', I wonder if the Authority are actually a group of really old Vampries (at least children of a millenia) or a bunch of more affluent younger Vampires (say 5 to 7 centuries) who group together to keep the more older, powerful Vampires in check?
Thanas wrote:A lot of deaths this episode of characters who otherwise would have gotten their own death episode, so to speak. Lorena, The Magister, Cooter....sad to see all those characters go. But Kudos to the show for taking the plunge instead of drawing it out.
You knew that Lorena was dead as soon as you saw Sookie enter the same room as her in the last episode, and the Magister was dead just because I didn't believe for a second that they would kill Pam to be honest.
Thanas wrote:Final thought: The subplots did not bore me this time. Indeed, they are getting more interesting.
I agree, I love the Alpha dog in Sam; 'Don't you growl at me!' :lol: The one thing that annoyed me was Sookie's trip to Fairyland; it totally sucked the dramatic tension of the situation and the production levels looked really cheap!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ahh yes, fairy-land brought to you by Bob Gucchionni

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Koolaidkirby wrote:didn't he say he was the oldest vampire in the new world at some point earlier in the show though?

He's the oldest in AMERICA. Not sure about world-wide.
thats what I meant by the new world, north + south america
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:The fairy world just looked like a re-dressing of the cemetary near Bill's house.
Of course. People who enter fairy land can never come back, hence they are dead.
Imperial Overlord wrote:While I love seeing Zeljko be evil, I'm glad that they didn't hesitate to kill him.
As I said, neither am I. I just would have loved seeing more of him.
As for being taken down to easily, he was probably not expecting to be physically attacked by Russel and with Russel's speed a moment is all he needs. The Magister's age is also uncertain. He's been called a "medieval relic" and has claimed to have been trained by the Inquisition.
He carries a 9th century stick from Basque, which fits very well with his apparent age. My guess is early reconquista, maybe even a contemporary of El Cid.
Crown wrote: That might be a possibility, but it wasn't permanent. It only gave him a mild resistance to the sunlight, and then he started smoking. What is interesting about True Blood Vampires, is that unlike their Anne Rice cousins (for example) as they get older their Vampiric abilities are magnified but so are their weaknesses.

Bill was able to walk from his house to the cemetary to help Sookie in season 1 getting a bit toasty, Godric in season 2 went up like a torch. I believe the quote from Godric was 'It wont take long, not at my age.' So if Bill, a 250 year old Vampire, nearly completely drains Sookie and gains a mild SPF 30 protection from the sun, than Russell a 3 thousand year old Vampire (if they are being consitant) would have to feast on an entire community of Sookies before he can brave it.
That is of course true. However, it may also be that with True Blood being manufactured, they might be able to manufacture Sookie's blood en masse. Or, maybe Russell, being held together by more magic than Bill, is much more efficient at using her blood.
Crown wrote:You knew that Lorena was dead as soon as you saw Sookie enter the same room as her in the last episode, and the Magister was dead just because I didn't believe for a second that they would kill Pam to be honest.
Look above - I already said that with regards to Lorena after the last episode.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

He carries a 9th century stick from Basque, which fits very well with his apparent age. My guess is early reconquista, maybe even a contemporary of El Cid.
It's certainly the most likely age, but it's not definitive (the stick could be, as an example, a gift from his maker and older than he is). Still if he that old that makes him ~1200 years old and that's just little older than Eric and much younger than Goderic or Russel and certainly not the oldest vampire in the New World. I don't recall him ever making that claim, but I am not infallible.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
It's certainly the most likely age, but it's not definitive (the stick could be, as an example, a gift from his maker and older than he is). Still if he that old that makes him ~1200 years old and that's just little older than Eric and much younger than Goderic or Russel and certainly not the oldest vampire in the New World. I don't recall him ever making that claim, but I am not infallible.
He never made the claim. That claim relates to Godric.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:
That makes much more sense. If Russel's age was generally known, especially given his physical proximity, chances are that Eric or Goderic would have given him a good, hard look to see if he might be the vampire they were looking for.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Thanas wrote:
That makes much more sense. If Russel's age was generally known, especially given his physical proximity, chances are that Eric or Goderic would have given him a good, hard look to see if he might be the vampire they were looking for.
Godric, according to Russel Edgington, was over 3000 years old and older than Russel himself, who is close to 3000 years old. However, keep in mind that when leading the Werewolfes in the old times, he seems to be wearing a cloak. Presumably, no vamp ever saw him giving blood to the wolves. And even if they got some wolves to talk, I would think he changed names etc. quite often. For example, I very much doubt he was called Russel Edgington in WWII Germany or in Scandinavia in the 900s. :lol:
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:Godric, according to Russel Edgington, was over 3000 years old and older than Russel himself, who is close to 3000 years old.
Sorry, but I thought Godric was only 2000 ... ?
Thanas wrote:For example, I very much doubt he was called Russel Edgington in WWII Germany or in Scandinavia in the 900s. :lol:
I agree, reminds me of that Godric name issue we had going on for the second season, for many reason he remains one of my (if not my actual) favourite Vampire in the show.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:
Thanas wrote:Godric, according to Russel Edgington, was over 3000 years old and older than Russel himself, who is close to 3000 years old.
Sorry, but I thought Godric was only 2000 ... ?
His age was not stated before IIRC, we only extrapolated that from his statements about Jesus etc. Russel, in the premiere, states that Godric was more than 3000 years old.
I agree, reminds me of that Godric name issue we had going on for the second season, for many reason he remains one of my (if not my actual) favourite Vampire in the show.
Yeah, mine too. Hopefully there will be more flashbacks.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Rewatching the episode - anybody else think Tommy would have lost to that Rottweiler?
------------
------------
My LPs