True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I would love more Eric/Goderic flashbacks.

I don't recall Russel mentioning Goderic's age. When was this?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Thanas wrote:Rewatching the episode - anybody else think Tommy would have lost to that Rottweiler?
He seemed to be doing ok. I don't think it was his first time, and his mother wouldn't have allowed it unless she thought he could win. Hell, SHE won dog fights for years.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:I would love more Eric/Goderic flashbacks.

I don't recall Russel mentioning Goderic's age. When was this?
Can't remember the specific episode, maybe I am getting things confused. However, as Eric points out that Godric is the oldest vampire in the americas, that would make him per se older than Russell.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Thanas wrote:Rewatching the episode - anybody else think Tommy would have lost to that Rottweiler?
He seemed to be doing ok.
He was already bleeding from the neck, while the Rottie was unharmed. The neck means the Rottie also came close already to do some serious damage.

Plus, Rottweiler vs Bulldog is a mismatch anyway.

I don't think it was his first time, and his mother wouldn't have allowed it unless she thought he could win. Hell, SHE won dog fights for years.[/quote]
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The music this year has also been outstanding. Two weeks backthey had Damien Rice and 9 crimes in a cover version, this time they got PJ Harvey singing a song written for her by Gordon Gano.

Heh.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Sam is such a badass.

He stared down a Dog-fight Rottweilier.

Then again, a properly trained Rotti is a suck + coward with humans.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Can't remember the specific episode, maybe I am getting things confused. However, as Eric points out that Godric is the oldest vampire in the americas, that would make him per se older than Russell.
Only if Eric is aware of Russell's true age at the time. Given that Eric is in the same region as Russell, the age of the vampire Eric's hunting, and the little biographical issues like Russell wasn't in Mississippi in WW2; it would be surprising if Eric had known Russell's age and not checked him out.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Only if Eric is aware of Russell's true age at the time. Given that Eric is in the same region as Russell, the age of the vampire Eric's hunting, and the little biographical issues like Russell wasn't in Mississippi in WW2; it would be surprising if Eric had known Russell's age and not checked him out.

C'mon, he is the king of mississippi. How high do you think the chances are Eric does not know his exact lineage? It'd be akin to somebody not being able to figure out who the parents of the Governore of Mississippi were. True, Eric might not have known him before he became king of Mississippi, but he should know these biographical details which are very important to Vampires.

And why would he have checked him out, considering there is no evidence he was someplace? Plus, If Russel can fly, it is pretty easy for him to be in two places long enough nobody ever notices he is missing. Actually, with the flying trick, a vampire can in theory stay awake forever.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Only if Eric is aware of Russell's true age at the time. Given that Eric is in the same region as Russell, the age of the vampire Eric's hunting, and the little biographical issues like Russell wasn't in Mississippi in WW2; it would be surprising if Eric had known Russell's age and not checked him out.
I'm convinced that Eric didn't know Russell's true age. That scene where Bill tries to stake Russell (lol), and Russell just shurgs his shoulder and sends Bill flying up into the air Eric was actually amazed and impressed. And then when Russell is pissing himself laughing 'I'm nearly 3,000 years old', Eric raises and eyebrow.

I have a suspicion that Godric and Eric were 'travellers' as immortals rather than 'settlers' if that makes any sense. What I mean by that is when we meet Godric (in the flashback where he makes Eric) he seems like someone who roams and experiences, rather than a Vampire who marks a territory and protects it. And it sort of bleeds into the present day, both Godric and Eric due to their ages could have vastly better 'positions of office' but both are serving 'flunky' roles in a kingdom not in their control under Vampires younger and weaker them (granted that is an assumption on my behalf that the King of Texas is/was younger than Godric).

Perhaps they've always been on the outside of whatever Vampire society dynamic that existed and with the great relevation as they start integrating into this society, it leaves Godric utterly depressed to the point of suicide and Eric frustrated and enraged. And they sort of both 'miss out' on better positions since other than themselves (and Pam depending on when she was made) they had no 'power base' to lay claim to territory.

I still think back to those season 2 scenes involving Eric and Godric. Maybe it is utterly fanboish but was absolutely captivated and entralled at the dynamic being played out between the two, much more than the Sookie and 'Beel' scenes. The sheer rage that Eric was showing at Nan 'the administrator' not giving Godric his proper dues, Bill trying to alpha-dog Eric and the way Eric was begging him to try something. It was a great piece of storytelling where we were being showed Godric's power and influence by Eric's reactions rather than being told them.
Thanas wrote:Can't remember the specific episode, maybe I am getting things confused. However, as Eric points out that Godric is the oldest vampire in the americas, that would make him per se older than Russell.
I would really love it if you could confirm this, but alas I think you are perhaps mistaken here; I remember clearly when Godric was telling Eric he was going to commit suicide he says 'It's enough, after two thousand years, it's enough...'
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

C'mon, he is the king of mississippi. How high do you think the chances are Eric does not know his exact lineage? It'd be akin to somebody not being able to figure out who the parents of the Governore of Mississippi were. True, Eric might not have known him before he became king of Mississippi, but he should know these biographical details which are very important to Vampires.
Sure they're important, but it's hard to know more than any vampire is willing to reveal. Russell hasn't a damn thing about his lineage and other than his househusband progeny we know nothing about it. Eric wasn't forthcoming about his relationship with Goderic in the second season either. Traveling in premodern times would have been hazardous for vampires and communication even between vampires that knew each other would have been much more difficult. There simply wouldn't have been an interlinked vampire community, although a loosely connected bunch of feudal domains or something equivalent is likely. Russell managed to evade Goderic and Eric for a thousand years, despite them having picked his trail up at least once. The older the vampire the more old enemies and skeletons he's had a chance to acquire. Plenty of reason and clearly plenty of opportunity to bury the past and that's before we get to the whole "I want nothing to do with my asshole sire" issue that clearly exists.

Code: Select all

And why would he have checked him out, considering there is no evidence he was someplace? Plus, If Russel can fly, it is pretty easy for him to be in two places long enough nobody ever notices he is missing. Actually, with the flying trick, a vampire can in theory stay awake forever.
I'm speaking of little details like "was in Germany not Mississippi during the Third Reich, is old enough to have killed my family, and thus maybe the dude I want to kill."
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Crown wrote:That might be a possibility, but it wasn't permanent. It only gave him a mild resistance to the sunlight, and then he started smoking. What is interesting about True Blood Vampires, is that unlike their Anne Rice cousins (for example) as they get older their Vampiric abilities are magnified but so are their weaknesses.

Bill was able to walk from his house to the cemetary to help Sookie in season 1 getting a bit toasty, Godric in season 2 went up like a torch. I believe the quote from Godric was 'It wont take long, not at my age.' So if Bill, a 250 year old Vampire, nearly completely drains Sookie and gains a mild SPF 30 protection from the sun, than Russell a 3 thousand year old Vampire (if they are being consitant) would have to feast on an entire community of Sookies before he can brave it.
My bet is that it would be permanent if she was totally drained to death. That seems to fall under the category of "stealing her light". I get the impression that Bill was trying to get the benefit without having to kill her for it, and he failed.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
I'm speaking of little details like "was in Germany not Mississippi during the Third Reich, is old enough to have killed my family, and thus maybe the dude I want to kill."
Eric so far only knows the second one, so I really doubt that is enough to go on and dare potentially incur the wrath of a Vampire King.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:Eric so far only knows the second one, so I really doubt that is enough to go on and dare potentially incur the wrath of a Vampire King.
I'm going on the assumption that you typed what you meant (if you meant knew then feel free to ignore), but you can bet your bottom dollar Eric is planning the grand fall and destruction of one Russell Edgington, Royal. I'm betting Talbert gets it first.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:
Thanas wrote:Eric so far only knows the second one, so I really doubt that is enough to go on and dare potentially incur the wrath of a Vampire King.
I'm going on the assumption that you typed what you meant (if you meant knew then feel free to ignore), but you can bet your bottom dollar Eric is planning the grand fall and destruction of one Russell Edgington, Royal. I'm betting Talbert gets it first.

I meant knew. If we assume Eric knew back then about Russel and his age (or that he is really, really old), that is not enough IMO to go on to sniff around a King. And even if he tried to, what is he going to do to verify that Russel might have killed some people centuries ago? Ask him? :lol:

It is not like Vampires keep access of their movement.

Leaving this aside, it becames painfully clear by now that Bill really does not know much about the politics in the Vampire world or if he does, he is very good at covering it. Lorena clearly did not teach him much about being a Vampire besides sucking blood.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

FireNexus wrote:My bet is that it would be permanent if she was totally drained to death. That seems to fall under the category of "stealing her light". I get the impression that Bill was trying to get the benefit without having to kill her for it, and he failed.
You think he tried to drain her on purpose? What?
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

FireNexus wrote:My bet is that it would be permanent if she was totally drained to death. That seems to fall under the category of "stealing her light". I get the impression that Bill was trying to get the benefit without having to kill her for it, and he failed.
I don't think Bill has the slightest real clue about Sookie and her blood. I think he was sent to seduce/keep and eye on her by the Queen and had no idea why. I also think that Haley didn't whisper to Eric 'Sookie is fey', I think she whispered 'Sookie and I are cousins, and the Queen is a distant relative' ...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Minor nitpick: it is Hadley.

That said, I really doubt Sookie is related to the queen (unless you are going by book knowledge, there have been no hints about that so far).

Indeed, the Queen saying that Sookie has unusual blood in S2 seems to make it more likely she knows about Sookie's ancestry.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:^Minor nitpick: it is Hadley.

That said, I really doubt Sookie is related to the queen (unless you are going by book knowledge, there have been no hints about that so far).

Indeed, the Queen saying that Sookie has unusual blood in S2 seems to make it more likely she knows about Sookie's ancestry.
Not book knowledge, just by the way the Queen was shouting; where's Hadley, bring me Hadley, Hadley!!!

Just seemed more of a personal attachment to Hadley than a Vampire would have to minion if you like. Of course, could be wrong.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:Not book knowledge, just by the way the Queen was shouting; where's Hadley, bring me Hadley, Hadley!!!

Just seemed more of a personal attachment to Hadley than a Vampire would have to minion if you like. Of course, could be wrong.
Well, it depends. Remember Isabella and her human in Season 2? Vampire/minion relationships can go that way and given how the queen is anything but your typical queen....
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Eric so far only knows the second one, so I really doubt that is enough to go on and dare potentially incur the wrath of a Vampire King.
Eric's quite capable of being subtle and discrete. See all of Season 3 so far for supporting evidence. Finding out that the vampire king of Mississippi was someone else or elsewhere in the 40s is going to be easier in a era where vampire domains even have their own numbers.

Given that:

1) Goderic said that he's 2000 years old.
2) Russell only says he's 3000 once and in front of vampires he was either going to destroy or believed were his allies and retainers
3) Eric believed that Goderic was the oldest vampire on the New World
4) Eric is looking for a very old vampire

It seems fairly straight forward that Eric didn't know Russell's true age.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Or given how frequently vampires DIE, Eric probably didn't consider that the ONE vampire that killed his father would still be alive a thousand years later.

I'm guessing Godric told him it was no use trying to track down his father's killer and it wouldn't do much good.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Or given how frequently vampires DIE, Eric probably didn't consider that the ONE vampire that killed his father would still be alive a thousand years later.

I'm guessing Godric told him it was no use trying to track down his father's killer and it wouldn't do much good.
Given that they're tracking the werewolf pack in the 40s, I don't think so.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Or given how frequently vampires DIE, Eric probably didn't consider that the ONE vampire that killed his father would still be alive a thousand years later.

Given that they're tracking the werewolf pack in the 40s, I don't think so.
That makes me wonder how vulnerable vampires are to randomly dieing in dresdan or blitz scenarios.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Thanas wrote:Did anybody else think Sookie is related to Faeries? The telltale signs were there - water and rosepetals.
That was the first theory that popped into my watching group's mind. Appearing from natural things (the pond), singing and dancing but with a hint of darkness ("it wasn't the water that killed them")...yeah, I'm thinking faerie. If her grandfather was faerie also, it begs the question of how much is inherited, and did Jason simply end up without the faerie genes.
Apparently said faeries perceive vampires as The Dark. Huh.
I resent that :P
Sad to see the Magister go. I really would have preferred to see more of them. I was a bit dismayed how easily Russel put him down. I am betting Nan Flanagan will now get involved at some point, seeing as how she is with the Authority.

A lot of deaths this episode of characters who otherwise would have gotten their own death episode, so to speak. Lorena, The Magister, Cooter....sad to see all those characters go. But Kudos to the show for taking the plunge instead of drawing it out.
That was shocking. It was like Serenity, when the second major death occurred. I wasn't that surprised at how easily Russell took him down, though. It's been pretty clear that he's old and ruthless. Goderic was old, but not ruthless, and Eric's ruthless but not (by vampire standards) old. Russell's weakness is arrogance, though. He's got at least one enemy in his entourage (Eric), and another who's pissed off and has strange allies (Bill/Sookie).
Final thought: The subplots did not bore me this time. Indeed, they are getting more interesting.
I could do without the other Micklins now that Tommy's left them. I didn't care for how that subplot seemed to drag out. Other than that, I agree that the subplots have been very good.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Eric's ruthless but not (by vampire standards) old.
He is very old. As of this point we've seen two vampires older than him and one rough contemporary. Every other vampire has been younger than him and if we include minor characters we've seen dozens of vampires so far.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Crown wrote:
Thanas wrote:^Minor nitpick: it is Hadley.

Not book knowledge, just by the way the Queen was shouting; where's Hadley, bring me Hadley, Hadley!!!

they're romantically involved.

and in the book (which is a bit of a different direction from where the show seems to be going)
Spoiler
Hadley was turned into a vampire by sophie-anne, but not before having a son (who is also a telepath) bringing the total number of telepaths in the story up to 3
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb