True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Arachnidus
Youngling

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by Arachnidus »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Eric's ruthless but not (by vampire standards) old.
He is very old. As of this point we've seen two vampires older than him and one rough contemporary. Every other vampire has been younger than him and if we include minor characters we've seen dozens of vampires so far.
Logically there'd be more young vampires than new, especially once vampires were made public. But it stands to reason that there could be hundreds, possibly even thousands of vamps well over thousands of years old. It all really depends on when the first anomaly that created a vamp came around. Godric said he outlived Jebus, so it's likely there are many that are far older than him.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Thanas wrote:You think he tried to drain her on purpose? What?
I think he might have taken advantage of his state to try and drain her almost completely, enough so that it wouldn't kill her, in order to be able to walk in daylight. That way, whether or not it works he can claim ignorance. I don't think Bill has any desire to kill her, and in fact i fully believe he loves her, but I do think he really wants to watch a sunrise.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

FireNexus wrote:
I think he might have taken advantage of his state to try and drain her almost completely, enough so that it wouldn't kill her, in order to be able to walk in daylight. That way, whether or not it works he can claim ignorance. I don't think Bill has any desire to kill her, and in fact i fully believe he loves her, but I do think he really wants to watch a sunrise.

So he wanted to drain her because he knew it would make him immune to sunlight? Really? Then explain his horrified reaction to being thrown into the sun. There is no evidence at all that he wanted to drain her or that he even knew what her blood would do. Especially considering he had plenty of opportunities to drain her in the past.

Meanwhile, his demeanor during and after the incident seems to suggest he had no knowledge of what he was doing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Yep looked more like near death instincts taking over more than anything. Hopefully he will either discover now or mention he had a thought about the effects of her blood.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

FireNexus wrote:
Or it could just be that Sookie fed a vampire at a point where he had no control over his instincts to get as much 'food' into him as possible, what with being unconscious. This is probably just a case of a Very Bad IdeaTM
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

In white wolf they call it "Frenzied" which means he had no more control than a shark does once it's nictating membranes cover it's eyes.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Or given how frequently vampires DIE, Eric probably didn't consider that the ONE vampire that killed his father would still be alive a thousand years later.

I'm guessing Godric told him it was no use trying to track down his father's killer and it wouldn't do much good.
Given that they're tracking the werewolf pack in the 40s, I don't think so.
For what its worth for those arguing this thread; if you re-watch the WWII flash back scene, they didn't know that they were hunting a pack ruled by a Vampire until that point. Also, Godric didn't seem as invested in the whole war against werewolves, it was clearly an obsession that Eric had that Godric was indulging.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Crown wrote:
For what its worth for those arguing this thread; if you re-watch the WWII flash back scene, they didn't know that they were hunting a pack ruled by a Vampire until that point.
What's your point? That's an important piece of information, but it was discovered 60 years ago not the previous night. The logical thing to do is map the histories and locations of old vamps against the packs' history. Eric's been reaching out to werewolves, presumably to find the pack, and has done so aggressively enough that he has big favors to call in. He's not going to stop looking after getting that kind of breakthrough. The presence of werewolves in Mississippi and Russell's age means he's certainly worth a good look. Now if Eric believed Russell to be younger that is consistent with:

1) claiming Goderic was the oldest vampire in the New World

2) Eric not having a big ass file on Russell already.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Imperial Overlord wrote:What's your point?
I'm fairly certain that my point was manifestly evident; Eric and Godric weren't on a 1000 year long quest to hunt down a Vampire, they were in a time/place where they had an opportunity to hunt a specific werewolf pack and the relevation was made that it was a Vampire behind this pack all along. Also, Godric seemed to be more indulging Eric's obssession than actually be driven by it himself.

See, my point.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Crown wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:What's your point?
I'm fairly certain that my point was manifestly evident; Eric and Godric weren't on a 1000 year long quest to hunt down a Vampire, they were in a time/place where they had an opportunity to hunt a specific werewolf pack and the relevation was made that it was a Vampire behind this pack all along. Also, Godric seemed to be more indulging Eric's obssession than actually be driven by it himself.

See, my point.
Which addresses what exactly? No one's arguing that Eric and Goderic did nothing in their unlives but hunt the pack and their master. I'm merely arguing that Russell's true age is not generally known, which happens to nicely explain Eric's statements about Goderic being the oldest vamp in North America and why Eric wasn't already on to him. Eric's clearly spent time in effort investigating werewolves, efforts that have let him rack up favors he's able to call in, favors from werewolves who live in Russell's territory. Ancient vamps living in same territory as werewolves is certainly where I would start if I was trying to track down an ancient vampire packmaster. Add in the close physical proximity and the length of time Eric has had to investigate, even as low priority project, and its really unlikely that he wouldn't have given Russell a long, hard look unless he thought there was some reason not to.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Which addresses what exactly?
You weren't the only person I originally quoted;
Crown wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Or given how frequently vampires DIE, Eric probably didn't consider that the ONE vampire that killed his father would still be alive a thousand years later.

I'm guessing Godric told him it was no use trying to track down his father's killer and it wouldn't do much good.
<snip>
For what its worth for those arguing this thread; <snip>
I was just clearing up a misconception of CaptainChewbacca's that you didn't point out as being a wrong assumption and stating that if anyone who wants to continue talking about this 'thread/topic' should take into account they didn't know that the pack was being headed by a Vampire until 60 years ago. So, as this is now the third time that I'm posting this, can you understand now, or do you need a picture :?:
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Crown wrote:
For what its worth for those arguing this thread; if you re-watch the WWII flash back scene, they didn't know that they were hunting a pack ruled by a Vampire until that point.
The logical thing to do is map the histories and locations of old vamps against the packs' history.
That would only work if the vampire stayed with one pack, which was not the case with Russel.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

I was just clearing up a misconception of CaptainChewbacca's that you didn't point out as being a wrong assumption and stating that if anyone who wants to continue talking about this 'thread/topic' should take into account they didn't know that the pack was being headed by a Vampire until 60 years ago.
Chewbacca's was talking about giving up the pursuit, I rebutted it on the evidence that even in the 40s( before Eric knew that a vampire was involved) it was still very important to him. That's all that was needed to rebut Chewbacca's particular argument, although you're certainly correct in that Eric didn't know the pack master was a vamp at that point. Your bringing up of Goderic and his apparent lesser interest and the time period seemed to be attempting to form a counter argument to my age and investigation argument and so I responded to your post. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That would only work if the vampire stayed with one pack, which was not the case with Russel.
The wolves he use recruit and carry his mark and have done so for a thousand years. Russell has to be near them to feed their habit. So the histories and locations will match up, once you get the data.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Thanas wrote:So he wanted to drain her because he knew it would make him immune to sunlight? Really? Then explain his horrified reaction to being thrown into the sun. There is no evidence at all that he wanted to drain her or that he even knew what her blood would do. Especially considering he had plenty of opportunities to drain her in the past.

Meanwhile, his demeanor during and after the incident seems to suggest he had no knowledge of what he was doing.
I concede the point. I rewatched, and I definitely misinterpreted.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have rewatched the episode and I got to say, Lorena's and Cooter's death were very well done. Especially Lorenas was very much in character and fitting for her, especially her embracing it. The magister's...a bit anticlimactic for my taste.

That said, I really want to see the authority.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Wow! TB continues to up the stakes this week. A great knockdown-dragout fight between vampires and werewolves, it was nice to see Jessica kicking butt.

Talbot dying was unexpected, but it was great plot (and this show is now the gayest thing ever). Will be interesting to see a Russel with nothing to lose.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

:shock:

Holy Crap.

I thought this was going to be one of those character pieces True Blood is so good at - focusing on the ramifications of the attack and being a lot of talking. Then....holy crap, the last ten minutes change the whole direction of the episode.

Jessica was great this episode. Love the scenes between her and Bill. And the "hey, get back here." So apparently even baby vampires with one or two hours of training can defeat werewolves in their prime.

Sookie's mind sure is going on a ride. From breaking up with your boyfriend to hate-fucking him because she just can't quit him on the bloodstained floor....also, her slashing Debbie. :shock:

Bill was quite noble this episode, sacrificing himself for Jessica at the end. I was first surprised to see him go after Jessica instead of Sookie first, but then thought that he can feel Sookie's emotion and knows she is holding her own.

Russel is a major dick.

Eric's Revenge was fitiing. Anybody else feel another Bill/Sookie/Eric teamup is coming to take down Russell?

Witches will be the grand theme next season, I think, with Lafayette having power, that witchy new waitress etc.

Debbie continues to be one of my favorite characters. The actress is playing her great and it is a joy to watch her.

Removed from this:
- Apparently the authority is so powerfull Russel needs Sookie to have a chance against them.
- Anybody else think vampiric powers are not a question of chocie, but of age? Russell can fly as well as Eric, so maybe this is a power that kicks in automatically after 1000+ years.
------------
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Holy fuccccccccccck. What an episode - it had everything I like! Angry white trash! Rednecks! Werewolves! Titties! Gorgeous manflesh! Babyvamp Jessica! Awesome ending!

I'm too fucking blown away to do a proper post with points of interest right now so just... FUCCCCCCCK! That episode!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Upon rewatching the episode, I am once more astonished by how masterfully crafted this episode was.

And what great actors Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are. Especially Moyer brought his a-game for that episode. Best part: His "way" answer.

But Dennis O'Hare stole every scene he was in. I would so hire him if I needed to get things done. I am not that impressed with Alexander Skarsgard's acting this season - especially his speech to the king was a bit painful to watch. O'Hare's presence is just crushing him.

I so want more Jessica scenes with Bill. Especially her "You don't get to release me, you are my maker". And hopefully we get a Jessica/Pam teamup next season.

Also: Vampires can feed on each other. Huh. Does that mean the King will now get sexy dreams of Jessica :lol:? A special kind of torture for him, having his lover splattered all over the carpet and then dreaming of that vampire baby.

Best line of the night:

"Franklin's brains won't wash out of the guest linens, I had to bury werewolves under the gazebo, and that Sookie bitch staked Lorena!" - Talbot. I'll miss you.

Anybody who has not seen HBO's postmortems, I suggest to do so now. Especially the one for this episode is great. As is the fake propaganda film.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also:

Newlin's are divorced now and got tax trouble.

The Bill&Lorena video is just filled with dark humour.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

But Dennis O'Hare stole every scene he was in. I would so hire him if I needed to get things done. I am not that impressed with Alexander Skarsgard's acting this season - especially his speech to the king was a bit painful to watch. O'Hare's presence is just crushing him.
O'Hare is doing a great job, no question about that, but I think you're being to harsh on Skarsgard. Eric is a lousy actor. We saw it last season with his lame "suck the silver out of my wound" performance with Sookie. That his performance with Russell is also unimpressive is consistent, although the amount of ego stroking probably helped the sale.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

What is Eric's game plan? He sends a cryptic and superficially worthless message to Sookie, and then proceeds to turn on Russell in such a way that would destroy all the trust he's worked to gain.

If his end goal is Russell's death, it doesn't seem like he's going about it the best way.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I think Eric is going to goad and bait Russel into doing something stupid. Then, when the authority comes down on him, Eric dumbs it all on him. "yeah, he was the one behind the Vampire Blood sales, he also blackmailed my queen, kidnapped random humans, and killed several of his own kind, including the Magister."

Russel gets nailed to the wall (possibly by Eric himself), and Eric comes out as the hero and gains alot of political influence. He can also stop selling 'V' (or no one would suspect him of doing it anyway), and his Queen is now in the clear and owes him big-time, especially if she ends up inheriting Russels 'estate'.

Ultimate revenge for Eric. Russel took away everything he and his father had (Eric's dad was a king, after all), and now he does the same.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
O'Hare is doing a great job, no question about that, but I think you're being to harsh on Skarsgard. Eric is a lousy actor. We saw it last season with his lame "suck the silver out of my wound" performance with Sookie. That his performance with Russell is also unimpressive is consistent, although the amount of ego stroking probably helped the sale.
Maybe. However, I did not find that good even in the staking scene....maybe that wasn't his ep.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Thanas wrote:Sookie's mind sure is going on a ride. From breaking up with your boyfriend to hate-fucking him because she just can't quit him on the bloodstained floor....also, her slashing Debbie. :shock:
A side note a friend noticed: at the end, when Sookie winds up on top, she has her hands on Bill's throat.

- Anybody else think vampiric powers are not a question of chocie, but of age? Russell can fly as well as Eric, so maybe this is a power that kicks in automatically after 1000+ years.
I had assumed a combination of age + training. The way vampires speak about each other makes it seem that the older ones are more powerful, both direct lineage (Lorena and Bill) and non-lineage (Russell and Bill, the respect for Goderic). I think we'd have to come down on "insufficient evidence" at this point, but circumstantially age appears to be a factor.

And since I haven't seen it mentioned...crazy mofo's baaaaaack (even if only in Arlene's nightmares).

By the way, anyone have a translation of Talbot's Greek from this episode? He cracked me up.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore