True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crom
Jedi Council Member

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by Crom »

Solauren wrote:I think Eric is going to goad and bait Russel into doing something stupid. Then, when the authority comes down on him, Eric dumbs it all on him. "yeah, he was the one behind the Vampire Blood sales, he also blackmailed my queen, kidnapped random humans, and killed several of his own kind, including the Magister."

Russel gets nailed to the wall (possibly by Eric himself), and Eric comes out as the hero and gains alot of political influence. He can also stop selling 'V' (or no one would suspect him of doing it anyway), and his Queen is now in the clear and owes him big-time, especially if she ends up inheriting Russels 'estate'.

Ultimate revenge for Eric. Russel took away everything he and his father had (Eric's dad was a king, after all), and now he does the same.
I'm a fan of Eric, especially in this Hamlet subplot, but I can't understand one thing:

Why kill Talbot?

The death of Russell's paramour at the hands of Eric satisfies the eye-for-an-eye level of revenge, but how is Eric going to truly bring down Russell? More importantly, besides revenge, what advantage does Eric gain from this move? Superficially it looks like he just went out of his way to enrage a vampire lord in the middle of said vampire lord's kingdom. He can't call down the Authority if he's dead, and Russell will more than likely destroy Pam as well, so Eric is gambling with the life of his progeny as well. All for what? The satisfaction of killing the man who killed his father's cleaning lady boyfriend?
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

Crom wrote:
Solauren wrote:I think Eric is going to goad and bait Russel into doing something stupid. Then, when the authority comes down on him, Eric dumbs it all on him. "yeah, he was the one behind the Vampire Blood sales, he also blackmailed my queen, kidnapped random humans, and killed several of his own kind, including the Magister."

Russel gets nailed to the wall (possibly by Eric himself), and Eric comes out as the hero and gains alot of political influence. He can also stop selling 'V' (or no one would suspect him of doing it anyway), and his Queen is now in the clear and owes him big-time, especially if she ends up inheriting Russels 'estate'.

Ultimate revenge for Eric. Russel took away everything he and his father had (Eric's dad was a king, after all), and now he does the same.
I'm a fan of Eric, especially in this Hamlet subplot, but I can't understand one thing:

Why kill Talbot?

The death of Russell's paramour at the hands of Eric satisfies the eye-for-an-eye level of revenge, but how is Eric going to truly bring down Russell? More importantly, besides revenge, what advantage does Eric gain from this move? Superficially it looks like he just went out of his way to enrage a vampire lord in the middle of said vampire lord's kingdom. He can't call down the Authority if he's dead, and Russell will more than likely destroy Pam as well, so Eric is gambling with the life of his progeny as well. All for what? The satisfaction of killing the man who killed his father's cleaning lady boyfriend?
You are assuming the Authority isn't already on the way since the Magister has gone missing (even if they have no evidence said Magister was killed, he goes missing for a few days and something will happen. Just like if the Head of the FBI went missing for a few days with no explanation.).

I suspect Eric is going with Solauren's plan or...we don't know something. I'm starting to wonder if age isn't a factor in terms of powers. We haven't actually seen Eric and Russel go at it in a fight. We have seen Eric overpower the Queen, something Russel apparently expected to have to do personally. We also have not seen Russel do anything that Eric could not. Especially if Eric thought he needed a fall guy for the Magister's death. So...some possibility Eric can take an enraged Russel in single combat.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Dark wrote:
Thanas wrote:Sookie's mind sure is going on a ride. From breaking up with your boyfriend to hate-fucking him because she just can't quit him on the bloodstained floor....also, her slashing Debbie. :shock:
A side note a friend noticed: at the end, when Sookie winds up on top, she has her hands on Bill's throat.
Yeah, seems like she is starting to take control.

ShadowOfMadness wrote:I suspect Eric is going with Solauren's plan or...we don't know something. I'm starting to wonder if age isn't a factor in terms of powers. We haven't actually seen Eric and Russel go at it in a fight. We have seen Eric overpower the Queen, something Russel apparently expected to have to do personally. We also have not seen Russel do anything that Eric could not. Especially if Eric thought he needed a fall guy for the Magister's death. So...some possibility Eric can take an enraged Russel in single combat.
We never saw Eric become as fast as Russel. I doubt he can take on a vampire that has three times the experience and age.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Age obviously matters in True Blood, although we don't know how it scales or how much individual variations matter. We've seen Eric move bloody fast (his rescue of Lafayette) but I don't see him being Russell's equal. That's why, I think, he killed Talbot. He knows he can't take Russell directly and this is the best he can do with just his own pair of hands. Unless Eric has something ready to screw with Russell over with, he's about to be in deep shit.

The big question, in my mind, is what was Pam doing while all this was going on. She's the only person Eric really trusts and she was absent the whole episode.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Age obviously matters in True Blood, although we don't know how it scales or how much individual variations matter. We've seen Eric move bloody fast (his rescue of Lafayette) but I don't see him being Russell's equal. That's why, I think, he killed Talbot. He knows he can't take Russell directly and this is the best he can do with just his own pair of hands. Unless Eric has something ready to screw with Russell over with, he's about to be in deep shit.

The big question, in my mind, is what was Pam doing while all this was going on. She's the only person Eric really trusts and she was absent the whole episode.
The logical thing for Pam to be doing is calling down the Authority...if Age is enough to guarantee Russels's ability to beat Eric.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Well, another great episode, Russel definitely stole the show this time out. Talking to a glass jar filled with goo, ripping out a dude's spinal column on national TV, and even made the segment break for weather. Great, superb, the writers should get an award just for that segment.

We'll eat you, after we eat your children!

I was expecting something from Russel, I was definitely not expecting that.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"And now its time for the weather."

I laughed like a hyena at that line. Nan Flanagan looked to be in serious shock, and I can't blame her. I don't think Eric is going to be doing this privately anymore, seeing as how its no longer a private matter. the Authority has to get involved now, whether they like it or not.

Interesting thing, the Authority is only a few centuries old, how old are its reigning rulers? If they're younger than Russell, they're going to have a problem.

Dear god, Russell is the best thing on the show.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

I'm really surprised Pam has been with Eric a hundred years and didn't know about his teeny, tiny obsession. The affection between them continues to be awesome though.

Russell did an excellent job of opening the gates of hell.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

True Blood is on a roll. This season is so far the best of the show.

Loved the little conversation at the beginning between Bill and Sookie. Dead bodies not that surprising anymore to her. Though I am not sure I like this cold side to her.

Anybody else think whatever Andy has is worse than ulcers?

I wonder how long it will take Sookie to figure out that putting together such a dossier takes time...though something makes me suspect that Bill cannot tell her the truth due to some blood oath or something else. There must be something very dark and/or powerful that keeps him from telling the truth.

Nan Flanagan did not disappoint. Love her, love her shoes.

Russel has gone mad. But he still knows how to hurt the AVL the most - and is quite smart about it. His entire speech was great, clearly designed to hit on every fear the average american has.

And if he really starts running, I have no doubt it will take a long time for the authority to catch him. After all, if he really wants to, he just needs to secretly purchase a tank of true blood and then he can retire underground for the next 500 years or so. Very, very hard to find.

And I loved his speech. I wonder if he realized that one can apply everything he said to himself as well. Very, very deep episode.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Link to post mortem.

Poor Nan will be in a world of hurt.

Further thoughts:
I loved Eric and Pam.

Anybody want to speculate on why the Vamps want Sookie's blood if it pulls them into another realm where they are essentially at the mercy of the faeries?
------------
------------
My LPs
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Thanas wrote:Anybody want to speculate on why the Vamps want Sookie's blood if it pulls them into another realm where they are essentially at the mercy of the faeries?
Any vampire who drinks Faerie blood would have an incredible advantage over those who don't. A vampire can't even be awake in the dark during the day without bleeding from the eyes, if Russel had the blood he could wipe out all of his enemies between noon and 3 p.m. and they'd be powerless. I'd guess they don't KNOW about the down side, and they might not care.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Um, we didn't see what happens to a Vampire that stays in the Faerie Realm long term. All we saw was Bill looking for some answers.

We also didn't see if a Vampire could 'enter' the Faerie Realm and then leave immediately.

We don't have enough information for the specifics as why Russel + Anne (et al) want to get a hold of Sookie. All we know for sure is
A)- They want her
b)- They are aware she's not (entirely) human
c)- They are aware she's Telepathic, and have other powers (hinted to include TK, beside 'the Light flash')
d)- They may be aware it's heriditary

Given how 'long term' a vampire could think, it's possible they simply want her for breeding stock. Imagine if she had a male child with her powers, and that child was raised to be 'vampire-loyal', and then he sired who knows how many kids, who are in turned raised.

Nice army of loyal quasi-Jedi they just created. And in 2 - 3 generations. That's a insignificant timespan to a Vampire.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I'm disappointed by Eric's exit strategy. I was hoping he had sent Pam for the Authority while he took out Talbot and now it looks like he hadn't thought ahead at all. I did love the scene between Pam and Eric that echoed Godric and Eric in season 2.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, this really wasn't that much of a smart move by him.

However, one has to wonder how much longer it would have taken him to get that opportunity again.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, this really wasn't that much of a smart move by him.

However, one has to wonder how much longer it would have taken him to get that opportunity again.
I do understand that his need to hurt Russell, compounded by the frustration at his inability to do anything directly to Russell, motivated him. The impotence he felt must have been something he's had to deal with ever since Russell murdered his family, and I'm sure that's really hard for someone like Eric to handle ("I'm not weak!")

While I'm disappointed that he wasn't angling for some longer game (cleverly assassinate Russell indirectly, ie sunlight), it's still an interesting play for him. I'm really interested now that the Authority has given its ok for him to go Russell hunting. I wonder if the sword in his office is going to get some use.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I really doubt Eric can take Russell. Not without getting the drop on him and that is pretty unlikely unless Russell descends even more into madness.

No, I think it will be more like the authority deciding to put their heavy hitters in the field. I really doubt the Magister was the best they could do - he was the one who did the fetch and carry and the day-to-day work. Sure, there are probably very few vampires on the level of Russell, but if need be they can always get an old one from Europe or just team up a few ones on the level of the magister.

(On the other hand, anybody else think Nan is older than previously thought given her "americans" comment?)
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nan's age is hard to lay a finger on. She's clearly very well adapted to the modern age and is an excellent media rep. That implies she's relatively young, but doesn't require it. An elder vampire is likely to retain some anachronism and use glamor to brute force social interactions with humans when they become difficult, but that's not necessarily going to be the case. The "Americans" comment does lend wait to her having a few centuries under her belt and being a skilled social operator.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Nan's age is hard to lay a finger on. She's clearly very well adapted to the modern age and is an excellent media rep. That implies she's relatively young, but doesn't require it. An elder vampire is likely to retain some anachronism and use glamor to brute force social interactions with humans when they become difficult, but that's not necessarily going to be the case.
Agreed. Case in point: Eric is very well adapted to the modern age - he does not use glamor that much. Bill of course is the counterpoint - quite a nice irony that somebody who is probably the most less "vampiric" of all the vampires on the show is also the one apparently stuck in 19th century thinking.

The "Americans" comment does lend wait to her having a few centuries under her belt and being a skilled social operator.
Indeed. Or she may simply be originally not from the USA. Ireland, maybe, but then again names are not to be trusted.

My own guess is that she is about half Erics age - she seems to have a lot of energy and seems to be very goal-oriented, so that just screams to me "motivated young person trying to rise in the ranks". So 400-500 years is my guess.

Or - she really is much older and has been around for a long time. But I do not think she is as young as Bill.

Older vampires seem to lose a lot of their drive anyway. Eric was content just sitting in the bar...then again, seeing how Pam is characterized as "lazy", this might not be that much related to age. Russell certainly has not lost his touch.

EDIT: But then again I also thought Pam was older than a hundred years.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ghetto edit: Flanagan is shown with both Presidents Roosevelt, so she was influential at least a century ago.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Older vampires seem to lose a lot of their drive anyway. Eric was content just sitting in the bar...then again, seeing how Pam is characterized as "lazy", this might not be that much related to age. Russell certainly has not lost his touch.
Ennui certainly seems to be a danger to vampires. Even Russell's energy is mostly focused towards turning back the clock. It's hard to tell with Pam though. She may be merely following in Eric's footsteps loyally, but bored to tears by the whole bar/nightclub shtick.
EDIT: But then again I also thought Pam was older than a hundred years.
So did I.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Considering that Godric was a just a sheriff and he was a 1000+ old, the Authority may have some very old vampires to bring to bear on Russell.

lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

This has been discussed a bit, and Goderic who was one of the oldest vampires in america was also a sherif.
Sophian who was less than half that age was a queen.

So age has no gurrenteed bearing on position.

My guess is that Russel is stronger than any individual authority member, or maybe one member that is his equal or better.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Crom wrote:Considering that Godric was a just a sheriff and he was a 1000+ old, the Authority may have some very old vampires to bring to bear on Russell.
Sophie Ann is about half of Eric's age and Godric could have been a king if he wanted to.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm sure vampire politics plays a big part in who has what sort of power over other vampires.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Thanas wrote:Nan Flanagan did not disappoint. Love her, love her shoes.
I hate Nan, but I love how the actress is portraying the character :D . She does so well playing the uberbitch that I'm enjoying hating the hypocritical spokeswoman for the VRA.
My own guess is that she is about half Erics age - she seems to have a lot of energy and seems to be very goal-oriented, so that just screams to me "motivated young person trying to rise in the ranks". So 400-500 years is my guess.
Another possibility is that she's being groomed for a position on the Authority, and is aware that her performance will determine whether she makes it or not. This would account for the ambition and goal-orientedness, while permitting her to be much older.
Agreed. Case in point: Eric is very well adapted to the modern age - he does not use glamor that much. Bill of course is the counterpoint - quite a nice irony that somebody who is probably the most less "vampiric" of all the vampires on the show is also the one apparently stuck in 19th century thinking.
I would expect a sort of decline and then rebound - the vampire is fine at first, as the culture barely shifts from what s/he knew. Over time, it changes more and more, leaving them thinking in anachronistic ways. The ones that survive this period are the ones who learn to adapt and adjust to each era as it comes, whether from their own experience or from staying with a maker who has already reached that stage. Pam would be an example of the latter, since she's remained with Eric (who had reached the adaptation stage). Bill, however, left Lorena while still relatively young for a vampire, and likely also reverted to his living persona as a rebellion against what he saw as her corrupting influence.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore