What if the Empire invaded modern day Earth?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Re: What if the Empire invaded modern day Earth?

Post by Darth Hoth »

Shroom, are you just being passive-aggressive, or do you have some kind of point?

No one has argued that standard TIE fighters routinely survive tens of megatons. However, we do have movie footage showing that the TIEs at the DS-I did have shields, and those did demonstrate the ability to take at least one or two shots from the laser cannon of the X-wings. Michael Wong has, based on further on-screen evidence, rated these at 60 gigajoules as a conservative lower limit. By contrast, a MOAB detonation is on the order of 46 gigajoules (11 tons TNT-equivalent, roughly), and would not be able to distribute all that energy into the TIE's shields, even if it were to hit it at point-blank range.

A nuclear anti-air missile is the minimum required to deal with them in the air. On the ground it is obviously easier, given that shields are powered down.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Guerilla warfare won't depend on conventional faceoffs.
Given that I don't think this fight is goiing to last long enough for a guerilla war to even begin, that's completely nonsensical. I also don't care for the ridiculous strawmen that I think it would take multimegaton munitions to harm a TIE Fighter.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What do you mean? Anyway, nothing Earth throws on a conventional sense can beat the TIE fighters, that's decided. So the only way to harm these guys would be to kill them when they're out of uniform, like maybe when the stormies are off duty fucking Vietnamese Brazilian hookers or something, the Earth Resistance can arrange it so that all the prostitutes the stormies fuck are the ones with nasty STDs. Unless Stormtrooper nuclear-biological-chemical protection also applies to their naked cocks. Then, it can spread inside their camp and if Stormtroopers engage in casual sex within their ranks, they may soon be decimated by crabs and drip-dick or whatever. If they use protection, the Resistance can stab holes in their condoms or something. Hell, have the insurgency-brothels use date-rape drugs on the off-duty stormtroopers...

Would IEDs kill Stormtroopers? There are still gaps in their armor that Ewok arrows were able to pierce (right?), so if shrapnel goes through those gaps, it could work. The IEDs' blastwave might also concuss Stormtroopers harder then rocks thrown by goddamn teddy bears.

I wonder if modern anti-tank munitions or tank guns can replicate the feats produced by those logs that ruined those AT-STs' shit in ROTJ. If those AT-STs were replaced by T-34s* or British Mark I's*, those logs wouldn't have worked at all, but noo they had to use goddamn mecha.

*Appropriately armored with Wars armors, of course.

The insurgency can infest their water supply with parasites and cholera. The OP doesn't say anything about them having multi-gigaton water purifiers or anything. The same goes with their food. Like, the Resistance can sabotage them by opening their nutri-packs, taking a shit in them, sealing them up and giving them to the Stormtroopers to eat. Eat shit!

Either way, they run out of fuel for their TIEs and blasters and shit, and ammo, and eventually they lose. If they were assholes, they would have each TIE strafe major population centers. A TIE firing its blasters at full-auto could destroy an entire country. Each shot is several kilotons/megatons? Then at a modest full-auto firing rate of 30 shots per minute, it could destroy THIRTY CITIES PER MINUTE! Assuming a single city can be destroyed by just a few kilotons, ala Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

If a TIE fighter can fire multi-KT per shot, all you need to do is to park a TIE fighter in orbit and have it fire full-automatic. In mere minutes, the TIE will have destroyed hundreds of cities if its blasters can fire hundreds of shots! Jesus. It's like the ultimate killer satellite.

Even if they lose, the Empire's still going to utterly decimate the whole Earth! The OP states that they have 100 TIE fighters. IF each TIE fighter has only 100 blaster shots, and each blaster shot is several kilotons (enough to fuck a city ala Hiroshima/Nagasaki), then... 100*100 is... 10,000! The TIEs can decimate TEN THOUSAND CITIES with impunity from orbit!

We'll be reduced in the Stone Age. If we're reduced to sticks and stones and clubs, and if Darth Vader's lightsaber doesn't run out of fuel (do lightsabers even run out of fuel?), then I think the Empire will win since Darth Vader can kill anyone of the postapocalyptic survivors who are armed with only sticks and stones! He can just hack them to pieces!

But we have a chance at victory if Darth Vader's life support machines require maintenance and, like, the lack of resources and supplies cause them to break down. He'll die.

But if he manages to kill all of the Earth humans, and the only people left are the Stormtroopers... then the Empire wins, doesn't it?

Question, then:

How many people can 100 TIE fighters kill, if they're in orbit and shooting at all the major population centers with their multi-KT/multi-MT blasters?

Then, how many survivors can 100 AT-ATs and AT-STs kill? Imagine, the AT-ATs and AT-STs stalking the postnuclear wasteland murdering survivors just like Hunter Killers straight out of Terminator.

THEN, after the AT-ATs and AT-STs are out of juice, how many people can 500,000 stormtroopers kill? A Star Wars blaster is incredibly powerful. Can it be used as an anti-tank weapon against modern-day tanks? SeaSkimmer said that modern .50 BMG sniper rifles are no different from anti-tank rifles of the past, just with a catchier label of "anti-material rifle". Star Wars blaster rifles are deadlier then .50 BMG sniper/anti-material/anti-tank rifles, are accurate at longer ranges, are way smaller and lighter, and have more rounds. They can certainly kill any person with one shot. How many people can these 500,000 Stormtroopers kill? If we give each Stormtrooper a thousand rounds per blaster rifle, 1,000*500,000 = 500 000 000! IF each stormtrooper has a thousand rounds, these stormies can kill HALF A BILLION PEOPLE!

And remember! They can withstand nuclear, biological and chemical threats! Their armor can protect them from all forms of small arms fire! You'd need something as heavy as a .50 caliber weapon, and even if you shoot them IN THE FACE, there is only a POSSIBILITY of breaking a stormie's neck. Jesus. They're even worse than Terminators stalking the postnuclear wasteland. Plus blaster rifles can shoot at multi-KM distances, as seen in AOTC, which means these guys can outrange snipers, machinegun nests, they can even outrange tanks!

Then there's Darth Vader. He has the Force, which means he can just kill a person by blowing up their brain blood vessels from even interstellar distances (when he killed that Admiral/officer/whoever via the viewscreen). With his speed, and his lightsaber, he can kill anyone and everyone! He can keep on killing until he runs out of life-support supplies.

So.

Can this small force kill off the entire human population? The Stormtroopers alone may have enough ammo to kill half a billion people, if they shoot accurately. The TIE fighters, if each can fire several hundred multi-KT blaster shots, MIGHT outyield the entire nuclear arsenal of the world's nuclear powers! Then there are the AT-ATs and AT-STs!

Can anyone compute how many megadeaths these guys can cause? How many men, women and children can these guys murder through sheer technological superiority?

PS.

Can TIE fighters reach relativistic speeds in space?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If the TIE fighters could achieve relativistic velocity in space, it could do to Earth what those guys in the Avatar thread suggested the RDA starship do to Pandora - use its relativistic exhaust to vaporize the surface of the planet (moon, whatever).

That's if they could do that. Can they? Those Mach 12 numbers are for in atmospheric conditions, or in space travel?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Destructionator XIII wrote:If TIE performance is so amazing, why didn't they use that capability in The Empire Strikes Back when chasing down the Falcon in that atmosphere? (Or in space, to evade those asteroids?) Why did they never use that acceleration when fighting x-wings?

If they are so immune to weapons, why did the paniced pilot clipping the wing of his buddy in the Death Star battle lead to both of them losing control and being killed? That wasn't a high speed impact.

You guys seem to live in a fantasy land where Star Wars isn't based on slow ass World War II footage and where the Empire won every encounter. Newsflash: the actual movies are nothing like what's in your heads.
We know the following for sure

1) TIEs can reach speeds fast enough enter orbit from not only Earth gravity worlds but also gas giants.

2) X-Wing fighters in sublight mode demonstrated incredible performance when reaching the death star in episode 4. TIEs can keep up with them and if some sources are to believed outfly them.

Authorial intent about emulating WW 2 is irrelevant BS here. The performance of TIE fighters derived from the events puts them far far beyond what is possible with our technology.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The OP never specified what kind of TIE fighters. If they were the advanced types, with anti-ship missiles and torpedoes, those things could be in the gigaton-levels, wouldn't they? Man. I'm thinking they could REALLY kill everyone on Earth, if they had enough rounds.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:If the TIE fighters could achieve relativistic velocity in space, it could do to Earth what those guys in the Avatar thread suggested the RDA starship do to Pandora - use its relativistic exhaust to vaporize the surface of the planet (moon, whatever).

That's if they could do that. Can they? Those Mach 12 numbers are for in atmospheric conditions, or in space travel?

Atmosphere. In space there is no speed limit for anyone not just TIE fighters. The only hard limitations are time and propellants. But that is irrelevant here because Earth will not facing TIE fighters in space. What TIE fighters can do however is exploit their space capability to evade defenses. When attacking a city or military base TIEs can just climb to orbit to bypass any defenses en route. They only need to reenter the atmosphere long enough to blast the shit out the objective. In a combat scenario with our planes and SAM sites a TIE can always disengage by climbing so high no missile or aircraft can reach it. Flown intelligently a TIE wont take a single hit from our weapons.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The OP never specified what kind of TIE fighters. If they were the advanced types, with anti-ship missiles and torpedoes, those things could be in the gigaton-levels, wouldn't they? Man. I'm thinking they could REALLY kill everyone on Earth, if they had enough rounds.
Standard TIE fighters. The advanced types have designations after the names. Standard TIEs are pretty worthless in terms of armament. They dont have much in the way of missiles, torpedoes or bombs. The gigaton level bombs and missiles belong to TIE bombers. A standard TIE would be forced to strafe targets with its laser cannons. I seriously doubt a TIEs lasers can cause mushroom cloud level explosions. But they are more powerful than any conventional explosives we have. Its gonna take a while with those dinky lasers but given lack of defenses I can see TIE fighters slowly razing entire cities to the ground.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why would the TIEs even bother coming down to the atmosphere? They can just vaporize cities from orbit until everyone on Earth is dead.

If they can achieve relativistic speed in space, they can do what those anti-Avatar guys said and use their engines to vaporize the Earth's surface. Just like what happened to Pandora.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Why are you even bringing up the topic of an insurgency Shroomy? There's 500k Stormies, assuming each carries three blaster packs of 100-shots, that's 150 million blaster bolts. Coalition Forces use up 25k rounds for every insurgent they kill. That's only 6k troops the Stormiies can deal wiith at a time, since they don't have any real way to move this nebulous 'enough supplies to last them from North to South America'. Then there's their other equipment, they don't have the ability to refuel their fighters and given that a TIE Fighter is only good as a point-defence aircraft that can't be long at all. I don't even know what walkers use for power but they have no way of servicing them and Murphy's Law doesn't jive well with militaries that can't provide basic maintainance to their vehicles. Even Stormtrooper armor has to have immense power limitations or it would be standard equipment for the Imperial Army.

As for relatiivistic combat, IIRC NJO mentiions that most fights begin at relativistic distances and speeds. Until each siide begins using ECM and ECCM to jam the other and in order to get a decent target lock you need to be extremely close.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Grow brains people....

Day 1 - Vader goes: "What the Hell?" and they proceed to try to find civilization

Day 3 - They reach a South American city, and wonder what back-water shit hole they landed on. Insure massacare of South American city in question.

Day 5 - Translation is established (probably via the Force) and somene asks why Darth Vader is dressed up like 'the bad guy from those american movies'

Day 6 - Vader watches the Star Wars movies. Possibly makes a note to go and kidnap Natalie Portman.

Day 7 - Vader issues a statement apology for the attack on Earth, and explains the situtation 'Had no idea where we were, we were attacked first, etc'. He then goes "But yes, I am the real Darth Vader. Yes I was Anakin Skywalker, and yes, we really are part of an Empire with the level of technology depicted in those 'movies', and then some. And yes, I know how to build most of the military designs. And yes, you can have my autograph, just stop pestering me for them!"

Day 8+ Negotiations begin to bring Earth into the Galactic Empire, while Vader awaits for reinforcements to arrive. Vader also has to deal with Millions upon Millions of fan-boys wanting to ask him questions.

On the plus side, assuming he reconnects with the Empire, he now knows that he has kids, and where they are. This does not end well for the Star Wars Galaxy.

But on the plus side, we get hyperdrive! I'm off this dump.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

But their TIEs don't have to use shields, or hyperdrives, or cover long distances. They can stay in high orbit, away from human SAMs, and then all they have to do is play orbital firesupport and rain down kilotons per bolt on any target on the planet that has no way of defending itself. When they achieve a desirable orbit, they can shut all their systems down save lifesupport and weapons (and targetting) and only need to move when maneuvering for another target. They won't be flying interplanetary distances or whatever, saving a lot in fuel.

The Stormtroopers can use commandeered vehicles to move themselves. Their helmets give them sensors that would make modern day snipers look like blind people, so they can use their blasters to snipe people from miles away. Their armor is invincible to all forms of small arms, so they can wade through enemy infantry like nothing and unless an Ewok throws a rock at them or unless someone brings a .50 caliber machinegun or an arrow, they have nothing to fear. If an Ewok appears, or if there's a 50-cal or an archer, they can just shoot them anyway (they can do this from kilometers away using superior blaster weapons and helmet sensors). They will expend far less ammunition per Earthling they kill then modern day Coalition soldiers (who do not have stormtrooper sensors, and who have to use suppressing fire since the enemy's weapons can harm them - which is not the case with Stormtroopers). Can blaster rifles destroy tanks? How many shots would it take?

The TIE fighters already give them more firepower then the nuclear arsenals of entire countries. The stormtroopers are fucking invincible! With their precision accuracy, they can kill anything!

Also, maybe... if Darth Vader can Force choke people from long distance, can he also mindtrick them from long distance? He could pull that trick Yuri did in Red Alert 2, give a missile silo a phone call and have them initiate World War 3. Darth Vader could give Obama a phone call, use his mind trick, and have Obama outlaw the Soviet Union and unleash a preemptive nuclear attack. :twisted:

Seriously. I think the Star Wars forces in the OP is good enough to kill off the entire human race.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

Is there any evidence at all that the Tie fighter's lasers hit the ground from orbit? Also I really doubt those lasers I going to pound cities into the ground. I know people love to throw around these multiple kiloton estimates but can anyone show any evidence of large scale explosions/blasts/destruction caused by them? The blasts we see in the movies tend to be on the scale of the tie fighters themselves.

As for the Storm Troopers even if we make them highly bullet resistant they are still going to be cut down by artillery, bombs, mines, etc... This would be all out war and not at all what you see in Afghanistan. Also again is there any evidence for blasters having the firepower to take out a tank? The trees on Endor seemed to repel blaster fire just fine...
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If they can't kill tanks, then the TIE fighters from orbit can do it. Hell, if they're accurate enough, the TIE fighters in orbit can vaporize incoming artillery shells and mortar rounds. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:If they can't kill tanks, then the TIE fighters from orbit can do it. Hell, if they're accurate enough, the TIE fighters in orbit can vaporize incoming artillery shells and mortar rounds. :D
Can you show me anywhere Tie fighters engaging in orbital bombardment or that type of precision shooting?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Alderaan had planetary shields that required the Death Star to crack. Yavin was to be Death Star-ed as well. Hoth had a theater shield. Endor was likewise shielded. So in the movies, there were no occasions for the TIE fighter to do orbital bombardment or precision shooting. In fact, one might say that the TIE fighters actually behaved like WW2 fighters in the movies. :D

But hey, it's in space, and its weapons yield is measured in kilotons according to these guys, and unless the atmosphere significantly degrades the weapons range or if there's a theater shield, there's no reason for it to NOT engage in orbital bombardment. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Alderaan had planetary shields that required the Death Star to crack. Yavin was to be Death Star-ed as well. Hoth had a theater shield. Endor was likewise shielded. So in the movies, there were no occasions for the TIE fighter to do orbital bombardment or precision shooting. In fact, one might say that the TIE fighters actually behaved like WW2 fighters in the movies. :D

But hey, it's in space, and its weapons yield is measured in kilotons according to these guys, and unless the atmosphere significantly degrades the weapons range or if there's a theater shield, there's no reason for it to NOT engage in orbital bombardment. :D
Atmosphere's do significantly degrade lasers. So there needs to be more proof then "we never see them not doing it".

Also once again I think the kiloton estimate needs some big qualifiers at least until someone shows the standard laser cannons producing large blasts.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

But these aren't real lasers. These are blasters. Or turbolasers. Real lasers get degraded by atmospheres, but real lasers also aren't pew-pew red bolt things that move really slow.

The blasters/turbolasers/whatever don't produce large blasts in space because there's no atmosphere. If you detonate a nuke in space, there's not going to be any large blast or fireball either.

But I bet if a TIE fighter shot at Earth, there would be a giant fireball.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

The answer is simple; stormtroopers shoot themselves all in the foot, because Star Wars is filled with idiots, unlike such prestigious and realistic universes as Gundam, Babylon 5, or... Skylark. AT-ATs all trip over tree roots and explode, and TIE Fighters can't even lift off, they're so slow. Then the Brazilian army demolishes them with sledgehammers. [/sarcasm]
Destructionator XIII wrote:
Sarevok wrote:1) TIEs can reach speeds fast enough enter orbit from not only Earth gravity worlds but also gas giants.
Yet they never use that in combat. Are all Star Wars pilots just retarded?
2) X-Wing fighters in sublight mode demonstrated incredible performance when reaching the death star in episode 4. TIEs can keep up with them and if some sources are to believed outfly them.
Yet they never use that in combat. Are all Star Wars pilots just retarded?
Authorial intent about emulating WW 2 is irrelevant BS here. The performance of TIE fighters derived from the events puts them far far beyond what is possible with our technology.
Yet WW2 is all we see in combat in the actual films. You know, the thing that overrides all other accounts when there's a contradiction.
Sarevok wrote:Flown intelligently a TIE wont take a single hit from our weapons.
If they had the capabilities you Warsies thought they had, then flown intelligently, they wouldn't take a single hit from their weapons either. But they get consistently slaughtered in the films.

So, which is it? Are all Star Wars pilots just terminally retarded (along with the rest of the universe who refuse to replace their retarded pilots with competent computers), or could it be that ship performance isn't as good as you claim?
Wait, we see combat in ANH when their velocity is limited by the necessity of keeping close to the Death Star. We see them move slowly in a dense, dangerous area in ESB, and we see them outrun by the Millennium Falcon in the same movie. In ROTJ, we see them only for brief periods before they enter into the second Death Star, and that is also an area where going too fast is suicidal.

Meanwhile, I suppose that the pilots in Bespin were sent on suicide missions, and the X-wings secretly took hours to enter close orbit of the Death Star- clever editing disguised the fact that they launched well before the Death Star arrived. Saying "well we don't see it in the films neener neener" is ignoring the circumstances in favor of extrapolating oddly for purposeless vengeance against a largely clueless foe.

If we saw combat in a clear area- but the closest is the Endor battle in the opening minutes, where we see the fighters blaze past each other quickly, firing only a few brief shots. Then the ships close and the clear area vanishes. Of course, I do agree that using their full accelerative capabilities in combat is unlikely, since they prefer human pilots, but suggesting that they are limited to subsonic speeds in combat yet somehow can accelerate to orbital velocity within minutes requires something more convincing than i-know-you-are-but-what-am-i-style declarations of mass stupidity on the part of SW people.

This scenario is idiotic, but please.

Mobius IO wrote:Is there any evidence at all that the Tie fighter's lasers hit the ground from orbit? Also I really doubt those lasers I going to pound cities into the ground. I know people love to throw around these multiple kiloton estimates but can anyone show any evidence of large scale explosions/blasts/destruction caused by them? The blasts we see in the movies tend to be on the scale of the tie fighters themselves.

As for the Storm Troopers even if we make them highly bullet resistant they are still going to be cut down by artillery, bombs, mines, etc... This would be all out war and not at all what you see in Afghanistan. Also again is there any evidence for blasters having the firepower to take out a tank? The trees on Endor seemed to repel blaster fire just fine...
Do you have any idea... okay. In order to melt a block of iron the size of a TIE cockpit, you would need 2.41e11 J of energy input. That is about 1/6th of a kiloton. But, an explosion the "size of a TIE fighter" is somewhat different. The volume enclosed by a TIE's wings is about 250 m^3. Now, in order to create an explosion of that size from iron, with the velocity of a high-explosive like TNT (or like the explosives used on the models!), you would need to inject 4.22e12 J of energy into the block. That is just over one kiloton, or to be more precise, one kiloton per second. So there is the kiloton-per-second-range weaponry, just from the Death Star scene. It comes from the X-Wings, but TIE fighters and other small craft can fight on roughly even ground with them.

[SARCASM]Curiously, indeed almost magically, this is similar to the numbers provided in ancillary materials, which I presume we are disregarding. How could such a known fraud, liar, and moron as Dr. Curtis Saxton have stumbled upon these numbers? [/SARCASM]
Shroom Man 777 wrote:But these aren't real lasers. These are blasters. Or turbolasers. Real lasers get degraded by atmospheres, but real lasers also aren't pew-pew red bolt things that move really slow.

The blasters/turbolasers/whatever don't produce large blasts in space because there's no atmosphere. If you detonate a nuke in space, there's not going to be any large blast or fireball either.

But I bet if a TIE fighter shot at Earth, there would be a giant fireball.
It still isn't a nuke, so there'd be no fireball. It'd just be like putting a thousand tons of TNT in a point as wide as the bolt and detonating it. But they could hold Earth essentially hostage by threatening satellites in orbit, regardless of whether they could bombard with TIEs alone, at least until they run out of fuel/power.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Why would the TIEs even bother coming down to the atmosphere? They can just vaporize cities from orbit until everyone on Earth is dead.

If they can achieve relativistic speed in space, they can do what those anti-Avatar guys said and use their engines to vaporize the Earth's surface. Just like what happened to Pandora.
Meh,

You don't need to wank SW that much. Just put the TIE on a course towards a nearby asteroid and nudge it hard enough to hit Earth. Easy doomsday weapon.
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

Do you have any idea... okay. In order to melt a block of iron the size of a TIE cockpit, you would need 2.41e11 J of energy input. That is about 1/6th of a kiloton. But, an explosion the "size of a TIE fighter" is somewhat different. The volume enclosed by a TIE's wings is about 250 m^3. Now, in order to create an explosion of that size from iron, with the velocity of a high-explosive like TNT (or like the explosives used on the models!), you would need to inject 4.22e12 J of energy into the block. That is just over one kiloton, or to be more precise, one kiloton per second. So there is the kiloton-per-second-range weaponry, just from the Death Star scene. It comes from the X-Wings, but TIE fighters and other small craft can fight on roughly even ground with them.
Except Tie fighters are not just blocks of iron. They have a reactor, fuel, charged weapons, gas under pressure, etc all one of which could account for much of the explosion you see. So the methodology used there is flawed.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Bakustra wrote:The answer is simple; stormtroopers shoot themselves all in the foot, because Star Wars is filled with idiots, unlike such prestigious and realistic universes as Gundam[/sarcasm]
None of them are prestigious or realistic. Both Gundam and Star Wars have mecha, and are thus as stupid as fuck. Except one verse's stupid mecha does jew-jitsu while the other verse's stupid mecha does slow-motion in motion. :lol:

Hate to see a stormtrooper squad attacking a furry convention though. Those rocks will kill them. Yub-nub ain't got nothing on yiff-yiff. :twisted:
It still isn't a nuke, so there'd be no fireball. It'd just be like putting a thousand tons of TNT in a point as wide as the bolt and detonating it. But they could hold Earth essentially hostage by threatening satellites in orbit, regardless of whether they could bombard with TIEs alone, at least until they run out of fuel/power.
Goddamn. Are you telling me that the alloted forces aren't enough to kill off everyone on Earth? If you detonate a thousand tons of TNT in a point as wide as the bolt, it would still make a giant fireball, won't it?

What if we replaced the 100 basic TIE fighters with superior models, like ones with anti-ship weapons? How about TIE bombers? Would that be enough to kill everyone on Earth?

That would make a good thread though. The minimal amount of Star Wars forces required to kill everyone on modern Earth.

If we split the 500,000 stormtroopers evenly between males and females, the Empire could truly win by repopulating the world with the seed of the stormtrooper's grotesque progeny. :twisted:
Sarevok wrote: Meh,

You don't need to wank SW that much. Just put the TIE on a course towards a nearby asteroid and nudge it hard enough to hit Earth. Easy doomsday weapon.
Oh Jesus, you are a fucking genius! Yes. Sarevokerritch comes through! The Star Wars forces CAN kill everyone on Earth! Yes! Haha!

What is the maximum size of asteroid that can be pulled by 100 TIE fighters? God, yes. They do this, and after the asteroid murders everyone, the TIEs can stay in orbit and kill anyone who survives. While the Stormtroopers, by virtue of hiding in AT-ATs that need multi-kiloton direct hits to kill, can weather the DEEP IMPACT and then they and the AT-ATs and AT-STs and Darth Vader can hunt for human survivors after ARMAGEDDON(???)! Hah!

My enthusiasm in the prospects of the OP's forces being able to kill everyone on Earth is renewed. Thanks Sarevokerritch. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mobius IO
Youngling

Post by Mobius IO »

Oh Jesus, you are a fucking genius! Yes. Sarevokerritch comes through! The Star Wars forces CAN kill everyone on Earth! Yes! Haha!

What is the maximum size of asteroid that can be pulled by 100 TIE fighters? God, yes. They do this, and after the asteroid murders everyone, the TIEs can stay in orbit and kill anyone who survives. While the Stormtroopers, by virtue of hiding in AT-ATs that need multi-kiloton direct hits to kill, can weather the DEEP IMPACT and then they and the AT-ATs and AT-STs and Darth Vader can hunt for human survivors after ARMAGEDDON(???)! Hah!

My enthusiasm in the prospects of the OP's forces being able to kill everyone on Earth is renewed. Thanks Sarevokerritch.
And then they die shortly there after on a planet no longer able to support complex life, brilliant!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If there's two Stormtroopers and only one Earthling left, and the two Stormtroopers proceed to take their depleted blaster rifles and club that Earthling to death like a seal cub getting its skull bashed open by a stick splattering its miserable little seal brains and eyeballs on the immaculately white snow, then the Galactic Empire wins. :twisted:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Sarevok wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Why would the TIEs even bother coming down to the atmosphere? They can just vaporize cities from orbit until everyone on Earth is dead.

Meh,

Didn't we just have a thread where we pointed out how difficult it would be to move an asteroid from the Belt to Earth? The required energies were on the level of sterilizing the surface. TIEs also don't have any towlines with which to nudge the asteroid, and they only carry a few hours of air. So you're suggesting that they should send TIEs on suicide missions to perhaps hit the Earth with an asteroid in twenty years, with a margin of error of +/- 10%. Wow. I apologize to Destructionator for the sarcastic and caustic tone of the earlier post, for neither he nor I have the patience to deal with this kindly.
Mobius IO wrote:
Except Tie fighters are not just blocks of iron. They have a reactor, fuel, charged weapons, gas under pressure, etc all one of which could account for much of the explosion you see. So the methodology used there is flawed.
This is talking about the surface of the Death Star, not the TIE fighters themselves. Prove that the Death Star's surface is lined with gasoline and/or other volatiles. Prove that blasters, which you believe to be lasers, are volatile. We don't see holes being blasted in the hallways, we see the hallway shaking. This doesn't use the turrets either.

PS: elemental iron is very poor for space travel. It is used because it is moderately dense, has moderate melting and vaporization points, and so is a good intermediary between potential high-density, high-temperature alloys (or plain old steel) and supermetals, and low-density stuff like aluminum and low-temp stuff like copper.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums