What if the Empire invaded modern day Earth?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Re: What if the Empire invaded modern day Earth?

Post by Star Wars 888 »

*sigh* that section on metal storms and such were a minor part of my post. You are nitpicking.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So why did you even mention it? When are you going to support this 'million soldiers anywhere in a week' claim?

Anyway since you're an idiot, let's look at maths. Say you have 100 metal storm barrels with 5 nose-to-tail rounds loaded, each of which fires with a 0.2s delay. Firing the system will shoot 500 rounds in one second. If you were simple-minded (or in marketing) you would thus extrapolate this into 500x60 = 30,000 rounds per second, even though this is totally meaningless. The system fires... and then it's empty. Someone has to go and take it down and replace it. The metal storm guys tried to sell on RPM to get military contracts and no system was ever fielded because it was a waste of time. The technology is now more likely to be applied to multi-round pre-loaded grenade launchers and the like where the advantage is not OMG BBQ TEH ROFZZ.

But you knew that, right, because you'd researched things before you threw out a laundry list of wank nonsense?
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

And I will say it again:

that was a casual, half off topic part of my post. You are nitpicking. Clearly you cannot disprove the rest of my post so you pick at a minor and casual part of my post.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You mean this post?
There are lots of new weapons and such being developed that could help even the odds. Although much of this isn't scheduled to be completed for quite a while, a war would speed up production.

Metal Storm - one million rounds a minute, no recoil, no jamming
Exoskeleton suits - yep
Iron man suits - yep
Lasers - yep

Are you guys agreeing with me though? The general consensus seems to be that the invasion force cannot occupy the Earth, and I agree with that.
The one where you throw out things you obviously don't understand as 'weapons' being 'developed' that could 'even the odds'?

You didn't even bother explaining they would help; how are sniper lasers going to help against an army that wears helmets all the time? How are load-carrying exoskeletons going to help when the enemy is in a plane?
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Star Wars 888 wrote:And I will say it again:

that was a casual, half off topic part of my post. You are nitpicking. Clearly you cannot disprove the rest of my post so you pick at a minor and casual part of my post.
Do you get it? You are nitpicking.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

They don't have to wipe out the entire installation with their hypothetical nuke, just blow the giant dish projecting the shield. Even if the whole thing could be rebuilt in short order, the Rebels only needed to knock it out for a short period of time.

Hell even if a nuke wouldn't work, the fact that they didn't clear a perimiter around their base and set up defenses would look shady as hell to anyone expecting competence. I mean clearly they were anticipating a possible attack, since they bothered to... you know... install a giant shield generator to protect the Death Star.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Star Wars 888 wrote:In ANH it was stated that an X wing with a targeting computer would have a very small chance of hitting that 2 meter exhaust port that was the weak point of the Death Star. Note that the X wings were firing from a few hundred feet or a few hundred meters away.´

So how will tie fighters, which are less formidable one on one than X wings, find and target aircraft carriers from orbit? Sure; aircraft carriers in real life are far larger than 2 meters, but that's matched by the distance difference between a few hundred meters and from orbit.
Yeah, that was against EW. THere is no evidence at all that the Earth is able to put out a jamming field that extends into space.

Where will they get those missiles? If they get them by capturing modern day ones, then said modern day ones would not have the destructive capability of Star Wars ones that would be needed to one shot or one volley aircraft carriers. Oh, and who's to say that tie fighters have the hardware and programming to do that? Since when would they have a button to press that activates missiles that they aren't equipped with?
It is an upgrade kit that could be fixed to TIEs within a day. I do not think you really understand what you are saying here.
That contradictory. If they are indeed a threat, then why would the USA and other countries leave them alone.
Because they cannot touch them. With what? ICBMS? Easily intercepted and destroyed. Ground forces? Impossible to reinforce.

But the Empire does not need to conquer anything - most nations would most likely just join them or give them basing rights. And I bet that a few million Earthers will nearly immediately join up with the Empire when they promise the end of famines, the end of aids, Ebola, free medicine for all etc.

I bet that even first world nations like the USA will voluntarily join or enter an alliance with the Empire, which is enough to give them planetary control.

Did you read the OP?
Yeah and it is idiotic. Still, even if all nations have signed a suicide pact, that does not mean their populations have as well.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Star Wars 888 wrote: Well apparently the Pentagon thinks otherwise.
Apparently the Pentagon doesn't, since you still haven't sourced the report.
Star Wars 888 wrote:An USA force could get supplies from the South American countries that it passes through.
Which obviously possess the proper supplies in neccessary amounts to support a gigantic American mechanized force moving through their territorry, right? Does Argentina or Brazil have large stockpiles of munitions and spares for American jets? Or perhaps they're keeping high-capacity rail lines and lakes of diesel fuel somewhere in reserve for just such an occurence?

On the other hand, Imperials have a force composed mostly of light infantry, with "enough supplies to last them from North to South America: which I presume includes food and fuel for the vehicles to march that far. You can do a lot to a South American country with half a million heavily armed and armored light infantrymen.
Star Wars 888 wrote:Maybe I'm wrong then, but surface to ground missiles would still do damage to the invasion force.
F-22s can't carry any surface to ground missiles, either. Which is really irrelevant, because the US has huge numbers of other planes, you just pulled the latest sweetest plane you could think of out of your ass, despite the fact it's only present in pitiful numbers and far from the primary US strike plane.
Star Wars 888 wrote:Yes it does.
No it doesn't. The total US ICBM force is composed of 500 Minuteman III missiles, 12 Pacekeepers, 72 Trident-I and 288 Trident-II sea-launched missiles.

Russia maintains a similar amount according to treaty limitations. The UK has 64 Trident-II on their SSBNs, China has an unknown number but probably less than two hundred missiles.

Also, you're an idiot who can't do simple research.
Star Wars 888 wrote:Get an ICBM and replace the nuclear payload with a conventional payload. It's not exactly something you can do in someone's backyard, but a modern day world power can certainly do that.
And it would take years to design, develop, test and deploy those warheads, which means any conflict will be over by the time it happens.

It would also be useless, since ICBMs have a CEP of about 150 metres, which is great accuracy when used with a nuke warhead, but really, really shitty with a conventional one. That's less precision than a WWII bomber, against troops which are very, very resistant to shrapnel.

Star Wars 888 wrote:Then what's your point? Your agreeing with me that their invasion will fail.
I agree they can't take over Earth by force ; I strongly disagree with the details of your assessment why.
Star Wars 888 wrote:In terms of combat on land, sea and air, the technological gap between modern militaries and medieval militaries is greater than the gap between Star Wars militaries and modern militaries. Note that I'm referring to land, sea and air warfare, not space warfare.
Fully armored ground troops immune to biological and chemical weapons armed with fully automatic small arms more reminescent of grenade launchers rather than rifles, and heavy weapons with nuclear yields (proton missile launchers, thermal detonators), equipped with two-way radios and sensors integrated into their helmets is not overwhelming? The difference may not be like that between a medieval army and a modern one, but it's certainly reminescent of the kind of superiority shown by European invaders in South America.
Star Wars 888 wrote:The idea that a fictional faction can invade Earth at all is not a very realistic scenario. Hence why its a hypothetical scenario. If you want to make it more realistic, then the USA could nuke the invasion force.
Like they nuked the Chinese forces invading Korea the moment they showed up?
Star Wars 888 wrote:Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil joined with other South American nations could stop the invasion force, or maybe significantly weaken it.
They wouldn't be able to mobilize fast enough. Imperials are already deployed (and by your own admission, have access to publically available information) inside a random South American country. They can either take it over by force, or forge an alliance of convenience (the latter option is much more optimal, especially with a Force user in command).
Star Wars 888 wrote:They sure cared a lot of stopping Saddam.
Who was perceived as a threat to Saudi oil extraction. And they didn't care enough to mobilize 100 million troops and destroy their economy in the process :D
Star Wars 888 wrote:In which they simply withdraw.
Before they can do that, the Imperial force will be done with their takeover by whichever means and any international coalition will have to attempt to force their way in against a vastly superior enemy. There's no way Brazil is going to accept taking hundreds of thousands of casualties to liberate Argentina, for example. The US won't, either: they are already bankrupt thanks to the war in Iraq, which at least promises to bring them oil in the future.
Star Wars 888 wrote:I was referring to infantry. Yes, armor units would take longer, but who's going to stop them? It's not like the invading force has a navy.
Infantry is worthless, since stormtroopers are vastly superior in equipment. They need heavy mechanized forces to do anything, and they'd need to ship them via sea. That's where the hundred TIE fighters come in, which, even if they can't turn cities into rubble, can easily wipe out any invasion fleet: they can simply come down from orbit and set all the transports on fire. Only SM-3 missiles would be able to engage them, but they're a maneuvering target.

Not that the US can unload these troops quickly ; They will have to use allied ports, since they can't take one intact if it's held by stormtroopers. With command and control crippled by a single TIE sortie against satellites, organizing a credible invasion force might very well take years.
Star Wars 888 wrote:You could say the same thing for the invasion force, which does not have the supply system of the USA, and their walkers seem to trip up a lot in places such as rainforests, which are common in South America.
AT-ATs have operated in the forests of Myrkr without any handicap whatsoever, and the Imperial force is already deployed in the field, while being composed of light infantry - a force structure with very light logistical requirements. Their light infantry, of course, is vastly superior to any Earth force in existence, which kinda makes it a heavy force on its own.

Furthermore, since any serious reinforcements are months away, they have plenty of time to march towards their objectives and seize them, or just forge an alliance of convenience. By the time an international response could be mobilized and moved into the area, they'd be the ones doing the attacking, and their opposition is going to be serious. Since it's South America we're talking about, nobody's going to care enough to take hundreds of thousands of casualties: they'll prefer to adjust to the new situation. And why not? To the Imperials, a single E-11 and some power packs is nothing ; The the US, it's a technological artifact of incredible power. To say nothing of interesting things Imperial field engineers must have stored on their personal computers...
Star Wars 888 wrote:Based on what we know, Russia does not have any plans to invade the United States. And Brazil is not a craphole.
And neither do the imperials, based on what the world would know. Funny thing, though: Russia supported invasions and communist takeovers of US allies (Vietnam and Korea) ; China participated in Korea directly, yet the US tolerates and happily trades with both now ; What does it tell you?

And yes, Brazil is still a craphole. They're on their way out, yes, but they have a long way to go still.
Star Wars 888 wrote:Yet in the OP I stated that the Earth is united against the invasion force in this scenario.
And even united, they can't mount a credible response in the time it takes for the invasion force to entrench itself, at which point they won't bother because of the inevitably high costs of the war.
Star Wars 888 wrote:A well conducted guerrilla campaign could take down the invasion force. AT-STs spend time tracking them and eventually run out of fuel. 100 AT-ATs can't be everywhere at once. 100 Tie fighters eventually run out of fuel. Note that Star Wars vehicles and starships don't run on anything we have here on Earth. Then you're left with 500,000 stormtroopers who would be ripe for ambushes and such.
Yes, because it will always be stormtroopers doing hunting for guerillas ; Not, say, the local security apparatus and auxilliary troops, supported by the US government in exchange for technological treats. No guerilla force has ever maneged to dislodge an occupier without outside support, and Imperials can guarantee that support for themselves by the simple expedient of trading away technology.
Staw Wars 888 wrote: Where will they get those missiles? If they get them by capturing modern day ones, then said modern day ones would not have the destructive capability of Star Wars ones that would be needed to one shot or one volley aircraft carriers. Oh, and who's to say that tie fighters have the hardware and programming to do that? Since when would they have a button to press that activates missiles that they aren't equipped with?
So...the US is going to deploy LOL IRON MEN and rearms all ICBMs with nonexistant conventional warheads and move a million men to the theatre in a week, yet the Imperials can't mount captured Exocets on their TIE fighters and jury-rig a simple addition to cockpit instruments? :D

I sense a double standard here...
Star Wars 888 wrote: That contradictory. If they are indeed a threat, then why would the USA and other countries leave them alone.
For the same reasons they leave China and Russia alone: the costs of removing the threat is too high for the benefit. It's easier to deter them from attacking.

I will also take the liberty of commenting on:
Star Wars 888 wrote: A spear made a nick in a stormtrooper's armor. A spear would not make a noticeable nick in tank armor that armor piercing armor is made to penetrate.
So you admit that killing stormtroopers would require direct hits with anti-tank ordnance?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

One thing to note is that both JDAMs and Small Diameter Bombs, which are the ONLY weapons an F-22 can carry (SDBs aren't deployed yet, though) rely on GPS guidance. The TIE fighters can blow up all the GPS satellites, as another poster already noted. That's gonna fuck with the JDAM and SDB accuracy.

Also, TIEs are fighter planes that can fly into orbit, reenter a planet, and shoot any target anywhere in the world at ridiculous speed. Anything the modern military uses, even ballistic missiles, are sitting ducks for something like TIEs. Without any Wars-grade weaponry or countermeasure, Earth will be at a disadvantage.

The only way I think the Earth can win is that if, and I stress IF, the Imperials were particularly careless and were in a jungle base, the Earth nations may recreate the Ewok attack - but instead of Ewoks, they can instead use special forces-trained child soldiers armed with grenade launchers, and dosed up on methamphetamines. The Ewoks are small targets, child soldiers are small targets, the Ewoks could surprise Stormtroopers and ambush some of them with rocks and arrows, the child soldiers may be able to do so with grenade launchers as well (their grenade launchers would also be equivalent to the blasters used by the Rebels), the Ewoks are unnaturally strong little animal monsters, and methamphetamines makes the child soldiers unnaturally strong little animal monsters! Even then, we'd still need a gorilla-man to hijack an AT-ST. But this is, like, a once-in-a-blue-moon event. It's a long shot, not a short shot, not even a medium shot!

I think one of the reasons why the Stormtroopers initially ignored the Ewoks, even if their sensors saw a lot of Ewoks crawling in the bushes, was that the Emperor was an animal lover and a vegetarian. Like Adolf Hitler, who loved doggies, just like MKSheppard. The Emperor did not want any cute animals to get killed. So the Stormtroopers didn't really do anything to harm the Ewoks of Endor, they didn't bulldoze the area around their forest, they didn't shoot up care bear tree houses, etc. Only when the Ewoks attacked them did they get authorization to actually shoot and kill the furballs, due to their ROE. :D

Unfortunately, while the Emperor loves animals and tells his men not to kill cute little creatures unnecessarily, the Emperor HATES CHILDREN! So if the Stormtroopers' sensors pick up crawling child soldiers (hopped up on meth, and armed with grenade launchers), they'll have no excuse to preemptively shoot the child soldiers and blow them to pieces with their blasters. The Emperor's hatred of children is because he had to put up with shitty child Anakin during the years between TPM and AOTC. Hell, even plucky teenager highschool students trying to be Wolverines might be subject to the Emperor's wrath too if Anakin still pissed him off during AOTC. :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:*Snip*

For fuck's sake. Could you stop with the passive aggressive insane bullshit for five minutes? Yes, we know that one legion of Imperial Stormtroopers was beaten by a bunch of Ewoks (and a smuggler, and a wookie, and a princes, oh, and a team of highly-trained rebel commandos.) because Palpatine is overconfident fool with no military experience and a flair for the dramatic.

Seriously. The whole "lol Stormtroopers lose to ewoks" thing was done to death by fanatical trekkies at the dawn of the versus argument. You aren't spouting anything anyone here hasn't heard before, you're merely putting your own crazy Filipino slant on it.

Anyone with half a brain who read the OP knows that the Imperials don't have anywhere near enough forces to defeat the armies of modern earth if the scenario does come to war, but they WILL be able to inflict a significant amount of damage before attrition and lack of fuel and supplies wears them down.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Thanas wrote: Yeah, that was against EW. THere is no evidence at all that the Earth is able to put out a jamming field that extends into space.
Except that in the movies they were talking about the difficulty of that without mentioning jamming or having any evidence that they knew about the jamming systems that the death star supposedly had.

It is an upgrade kit that could be fixed to TIEs within a day. I do not think you really understand what you are saying here.
And how will they make this "upgrade kit"?

Because they cannot touch them. With what? ICBMS? Easily intercepted and destroyed. Ground forces? Impossible to reinforce.
LOL. "impossible to reinforce"? Sure it may take a while, but the major world powers have the capability to mobilize a counter invasion of South America and the invaders that occupy it.

But the Empire does not need to conquer anything - most nations would most likely just join them or give them basing rights. And I bet that a few million Earthers will nearly immediately join up with the Empire when they promise the end of famines, the end of aids, Ebola, free medicine for all etc.
Except that the Empire is a genocidal empire that relies on the Tarkin doctrine (which, BTW, seems to fail all the time) and wouldn't do that.

I bet that even first world nations like the USA will voluntarily join or enter an alliance with the Empire, which is enough to give them planetary control.
BS. Why would they do that? Did you read the OP?

Yeah and it is idiotic. Still, even if all nations have signed a suicide pact, that does not mean their populations have as well.
1. It's not a suicide pact, because in a long scale war the USA could defeat the invasion force due to logistics and attrition.

2. It's a hypothetical situation. Does it make sense that Earth is united against this thread? Sort of. But does the idea that a fictional invasion force can somehow end up in Earth make sense? No, but that's why it's hypothetical.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

@ DARKSIDER:

I've said that same thing, actually, a few pages ago. I was under the impression that with the appropriate armaments, the TIEs could even wipe out a significant chunk of the human population. Then, in a postapocalyptic scenario, if the Stormtroopers brought with them like a MOUNTAIN of blaster packs (OP didn't specify them NOT having a crapload of extra ammo), they could conceivably finish the TIE's job. You'd have AT-ATs and AT-STs roaming the postnuclear wastelands, slagging survivor communities, and when the AT-ATs and AT-STs run out of juice, the stormtroopers can just ride in cars or commandeered military vehicles while killing and killing. Then, maybe in the end, they'll resort to smashing defenseless survivors with their depleted blaster rifles. Darth Vader could certainly kill and kill and keep on killing until his lightsaber runs out or his lifesupport runs out of juice. Heck, this exercise in murdering millions of millions might actually make him ascend into darkside godhood!

So yeah, that is a significant amount of damage inflicted before attrition and lack of fuel and supplies wear them down. Even without blasters, stormtrooper armor would still give them an advantage in the postapocalyptic wasteland. Darth Vader, if he can last that long, might even be able to kill the last surviving Earthlings. No matter where the Earthlings hide, the Stormtroopers can just use their suit sensors to find them and then shoot them from kilometers away with the blaster's range and the precision only stormtroopers could have.

This is even without using Sarevok's suggestion of having the TIE fighters drag asteroids to hit Earth. Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers can use the AT-ATs and AT-STs, hunkered down low, as bunkers to survive the holocaust while the rest of humanity is decimated. Hrm, yeah. After a few TIEs nudge a few asteroids towards Earth, the other TIEs can blow up all of the space telescopes on Earth, and no one will see it coming! Oh shit!

Besides, that Stormtrooper child soldier shit was a joke. Though certainly if in an unlikely scenario that could happen, then, hell, this child soldier shit could happen too. If the scenario was set in Thailand, I'd be proposing Tony Jaa lead a stampede of elephants to crush the Stormtroopers to death. Elephants would be harder to equate with the Ewok joke, but oh well.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Star Wars 888 wrote: LOL. "impossible to reinforce"? Sure it may take a while, but the major world powers have the capability to mobilize a counter invasion of South America and the invaders that occupy it.
TIEs can come down from orbit at ridiculous speeds to shoot down your transport planes and transport ships. This is a fighter aircraft that can reach space on its own power, in a short order of time. The TIEs make Space Shuttles and Saturn V look like a wooden wheel carved by a caveman.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, Stormtroopers could use earth-standard weapons and ammo just fine, while retaining most of their advanced capabilities. The armor itself won't degrade for millenia ; At worst, the plates will be repurposed and reused and adapted all the time.

Stormtroopers with AK-47s! :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

PeZook wrote:
Apparently the Pentagon doesn't, since you still haven't sourced the report.
Fine, you can doubt that statement, since I can't find the source.

Which obviously possess the proper supplies in neccessary amounts to support a gigantic American mechanized force moving through their territorry, right? Does Argentina or Brazil have large stockpiles of munitions and spares for American jets? Or perhaps they're keeping high-capacity rail lines and lakes of diesel fuel somewhere in reserve for just such an occurence?
Actually, they might. The USA would have their own supply lines and would be moving through friendly territory.

On the other hand, Imperials have a force composed mostly of light infantry, with "enough supplies to last them from North to South America: which I presume includes food and fuel for the vehicles to march that far. You can do a lot to a South American country with half a million heavily armed and armored light infantrymen.
Yet said invasion force would lose to the USA or another major world power.

F-22s can't carry any surface to ground missiles, either. Which is really irrelevant, because the US has huge numbers of other planes, you just pulled the latest sweetest plane you could think of out of your ass, despite the fact it's only present in pitiful numbers and far from the primary US strike plane.
WTF? Iirc they do indeed have air to ground missiles. And yes, other planes could be used as well.

No it doesn't. The total US ICBM force is composed of 500 Minuteman III missiles, 12 Pacekeepers, 72 Trident-I and 288 Trident-II sea-launched missiles.

Russia maintains a similar amount according to treaty limitations. The UK has 64 Trident-II on their SSBNs, China has an unknown number but probably less than two hundred missiles.

Also, you're an idiot who can't do simple research.
Ok.

And it would take years to design, develop, test and deploy those warheads, which means any conflict will be over by the time it happens.
Um, no, it wouldn't. Would it take years to design, develop and test putting apples instead of peanuts inside of a peanut jar?

It would also be useless, since ICBMs have a CEP of about 150 metres, which is great accuracy when used with a nuke warhead, but really, really shitty with a conventional one. That's less precision than a WWII bomber, against troops which are very, very resistant to shrapnel.
Except that we're talking about thousands of them, as well as artillery shells and missiles.

I agree they can't take over Earth by force ; I strongly disagree with the details of your assessment why.

My assessment is that they fail due to logistics.

Fully armored ground troops immune to biological and chemical weapons armed with fully automatic small arms more reminescent of grenade launchers rather than rifles, and heavy weapons with nuclear yields (proton missile launchers, thermal detonators), equipped with two-way radios and sensors integrated into their helmets is not overwhelming? The difference may not be like that between a medieval army and a modern one, but it's certainly reminescent of the kind of superiority shown by European invaders in South America.
Full armored - true, probably their main advantage
Fully automatic blasters - well yeah, blasters and pretty powerful, another advantage
Heavy weapons with nuclear yields - bullshit. Sure space ships and maybe powerful ground vehicles in Star Wars have beyond nuclear yields, but thermal detonators and such do not.
Two way radios and sensors - which they never seem to use

Like they nuked the Chinese forces invading Korea the moment they showed up?
Were the Chinese forces planning on taking over the world?

They wouldn't be able to mobilize fast enough. Imperials are already deployed (and by your own admission, have access to publically available information) inside a random South American country. They can either take it over by force, or forge an alliance of convenience (the latter option is much more optimal, especially with a Force user in command).
Yet the invasion force would be hard pressed to occupy such a large territory of land. They'd also have to set up an industrial base and infrastructure.

Who was perceived as a threat to Saudi oil extraction. And they didn't care enough to mobilize 100 million troops and destroy their economy in the process :D
Interestingly enough this invasion force would be perceived as a far greater threat than Saddam with his army and 70s era tech.

Before they can do that, the Imperial force will be done with their takeover by whichever means and any international coalition will have to attempt to force their way in against a vastly superior enemy. There's no way Brazil is going to accept taking hundreds of thousands of casualties to liberate Argentina, for example. The US won't, either: they are already bankrupt thanks to the war in Iraq, which at least promises to bring them oil in the future.
"they are already bankrupt" - lol what? The economy may be down, but we are by no means "bankrupt"
"vastly superior enemy" - until their AT-ATs, tie fighters and AT-STs run out of fuel, in which case the invasion force is left with 500,000 stormtroopers with no anti air or missile defense capabilities

Infantry is worthless, since stormtroopers are vastly superior in equipment.
Since when does that make them worthless?

BTW, are we talking about the OT stormtroopers that have terrible skill and tactical capabilities, or the somewhat more competent EU stormtroopers?
They need heavy mechanized forces to do anything, and they'd need to ship them via sea.
Or air; don't they have air transports capable of transporting tanks?
That's where the hundred TIE fighters come in, which, even if they can't turn cities into rubble, can easily wipe out any invasion fleet: they can simply come down from orbit and set all the transports on fire. Only SM-3 missiles would be able to engage them, but they're a maneuvering target.
Tie fighters can't move as fast in the atmosphere as they can in space, and in the OT they seem to be unable to move at full speed while attacking too.

Not that the US can unload these troops quickly ; They will have to use allied ports, since they can't take one intact if it's held by stormtroopers.
And how exactly will stormtroopers stop a combined armed invasion force of infantry, ships, aircraft and tanks?
With command and control crippled by a single TIE sortie against satellites, organizing a credible invasion force might very well take years.
And they have years.

AT-ATs have operated in the forests of Myrkr without any handicap whatsoever, and the Imperial force is already deployed in the field, while being composed of light infantry - a force structure with very light logistical requirements. Their light infantry, of course, is vastly superior to any Earth force in existence, which kinda makes it a heavy force on its own.
AT-ATs maybe, but AT-STs not that much. Note that the AT-ATs, AT-STs and tie fighters can't refuel or restock their ammo using resources found here on Earth. Stormtroopers cannot resupply their ammo either. The invasion force's superior tech will eventually wear out.

Furthermore, since any serious reinforcements are months away, they have plenty of time to march towards their objectives and seize them, or just forge an alliance of convenience. By the time an international response could be mobilized and moved into the area, they'd be the ones doing the attacking, and their opposition is going to be serious. Since it's South America we're talking about, nobody's going to care enough to take hundreds of thousands of casualties: they'll prefer to adjust to the new situation. And why not? To the Imperials, a single E-11 and some power packs is nothing ; The the US, it's a technological artifact of incredible power. To say nothing of interesting things Imperial field engineers must have stored on their personal computers...
Did you read the OP? Besides, who's to say that engineers (if they even brought any) would know how to make power packs? Why would they need to when they're likely manufactured in some factory? Sure there would be some engineers or other specialists that would know how to make that stuff, but why would they be in an invasion force?

And neither do the imperials, based on what the world would know. Funny thing, though: Russia supported invasions and communist takeovers of US allies (Vietnam and Korea) ; China participated in Korea directly, yet the US tolerates and happily trades with both now ; What does it tell you?
China - necessary for the USA's economy

And neither are a threat to the survival of the USA, especially since the Cold War is, like, over.

And yes, Brazil is still a craphole. They're on their way out, yes, but they have a long way to go still.
Yet military wise they're pretty capable, and PR wise most people know about and generally don't hate Brazil and would care (well, I guess a little) about it.

And even united, they can't mount a credible response in the time it takes for the invasion force to entrench itself, at which point they won't bother because of the inevitably high costs of the war.
Which would be necessary if the invasion force is a threat to the Earth.

Yes, because it will always be stormtroopers doing hunting for guerillas ; Not, say, the local security apparatus and auxilliary troops, supported by the US government in exchange for technological treats. No guerilla force has ever maneged to dislodge an occupier without outside support, and Imperials can guarantee that support for themselves by the simple expedient of trading away technology.
The stormtroopers would be combating the Brazilian troops, and if they win would they let Brazil keep its army and such? That would leave the invasion force ripe to be overthrown upon a counter invasion.

And it wouldn't look good for the USA's PR to help a genocidal regime simply to get a few technological gimmicks.

So...the US is going to deploy LOL IRON MEN and rearms all ICBMs with nonexistant conventional warheads and move a million men to the theatre in a week, yet the Imperials can't mount captured Exocets on their TIE fighters and jury-rig a simple addition to cockpit instruments? :D

I sense a double standard here...
They may be able to do that (with time), but to make Star Wars missiles would be beyond their capability.

For the same reasons they leave China and Russia alone: the costs of removing the threat is too high for the benefit. It's easier to deter them from attacking.
"too high for the benefit" - yet you (or what it someone else?) claimed that in 10 years they'd be a threat to the Earth. The benefit of stopping them before that is the survival of humanity (well, the invasion force is made up of humans too, but you get the point, right?).
I will also take the liberty of commenting on:
Star Wars 888 wrote: A spear made a nick in a stormtrooper's armor. A spear would not make a noticeable nick in tank armor that armor piercing armor is made to penetrate.
So you admit that killing stormtroopers would require direct hits with anti-tank ordnance?
Maybe. Their armor's durability is hard to quantify.

However, the armor doesn't stop kinetic energy, as shown during the Battle of Endor. A 50 caliber bullet hitting a stormtrooper's head protected by a helmet would still give the stormtrooper a bad concussion.
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
TIEs can come down from orbit at ridiculous speeds to shoot down your transport planes and transport ships.
As in 100 tie fighters with no way to resupply and an inability to hit the Millennium Falcon from a few hundred yards away?
This is a fighter aircraft that can reach space on its own power, in a short order of time. The TIEs make Space Shuttles and Saturn V look like a wooden wheel carved by a caveman.
Yet tie fighters were made to be unable to survive for long without resupplying. They aren't independent. Without a base to refuel the USA or another world power could set up decoys and let the tie fighters waste the ammo and fuel.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um, no, it wouldn't. Would it take years to design, develop and test putting apples instead of peanuts inside of a peanut jar?
I rest my case.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
TIEs can come down from orbit at ridiculous speeds to shoot down your transport planes and transport ships.
As in 100 tie fighters with no way to resupply and an inability to hit the Millennium Falcon from a few hundred yards away?
I have to pop in and ask: what movies did you watch? In every movie with TIE fighters they hit the Falcon. The reason why it isn't space dust are also pretty clear. In ANH, they don't want to destroy it - in fact they have orders to let it go; in ESB they pursue the Falcon through the asteroid field and still manage to score some hits (and remember they also don't want to have the ship destroyed, Vader wants it and its crew intact). Only in RotJ there is no reason for them not to destroy the Falcon, but at that point they also have plenty of other targets.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Batman wrote:
I rest my case.
You're using the classic tactic of avoiding actually debating with me by nitpicking at small parts of my argument and saying something nonconstructive like "I rest my case"

Care to actually debate?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Hey, fucktard:
You clearly do not understand the engineering issue behind this. Your example illustrated that - not only is weapon way more complicated than a jar or missile, but your example doesn't even work :lol:
You would have to devise a completely new jar, else you won't get any apples into it. At least if you want a small one.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
A Millennium Falcon that can move as fast as them, and stay ahead of them, and has sci-fi space shields as well?

If your transport ships and transport planes are spaceships that can enter and leave planetary atmospheres, and have energy shields to block pew-pew lasers, your argument in bringing up the Millennium Falcon would make sense. If a C-5 Galaxy can fly off into space and was protected by shields, yeah, the TIEs would certainly have trouble chasing it down. If a cargo ship could lead these space fighters into an asteroid field and outmaneuver them, if the cargo ship has the engines to blast off a planet and shit, sure. :lol:

If the US Military's transports looked like this and had Tony Stark in his Iron Man suit flying escort, yeah, and maybe with Obidiah Stane as his wingman, both using their Arc Reactors to power their repulsor afterburners, and maybe with Hammeroids flying in formation with them... :lol:

I know the Tentagon is developing these weapons systems. I don't have a source. Fine. You can doubt me. Blah! :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Serafina wrote:Hey, fucktard:
You clearly do not understand the engineering issue behind this. Your example illustrated that - not only is weapon way more complicated than a jar or missile, but your example doesn't even work :lol:
You would have to devise a completely new jar, else you won't get any apples into it. At least if you want a small one.
On the contrast, the missile itself contains and transports the nuclear warheads. To replace it with conventional warheads would not require a significant reconstruction of the missile itself, because the missile is not the nuclear warhead. It contains the nuclear warhead.
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Tiriol wrote:
I have to pop in and ask: what movies did you watch? In every movie with TIE fighters they hit the Falcon. The reason why it isn't space dust are also pretty clear. In ANH, they don't want to destroy it - in fact they have orders to let it go; in ESB they pursue the Falcon through the asteroid field and still manage to score some hits (and remember they also don't want to have the ship destroyed, Vader wants it and its crew intact). Only in RotJ there is no reason for them not to destroy the Falcon, but at that point they also have plenty of other targets.

In ANH they wanted to disable the Falcon. They clearly failed. They weren't missing on purpose; they were trying to hit the Falcon enough so that it's disable, but couldn't.

That isn't exactly a negative feat, since hitting a spaceship moving that fast from that far away is difficult, but it does disprove the idea that 100 tie fighters can shoot down thousands of missiles in a matter of seconds.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Star Wars 888 wrote:
Serafina wrote:Hey, fucktard:
On the contrast, the missile itself contains and transports the nuclear warheads. To replace it with conventional warheads would not require a significant reconstruction of the missile itself, because the missile is not the nuclear warhead. It contains the nuclear warhead.
As i said:
You have no idea about the engineering issue and are absolutely oversimplifing the issue.
In ANH they wanted to disable the Falcon. They clearly failed. They weren't missing on purpose; they were trying to hit the Falcon enough so that it's disable, but couldn't.
Bullshit. The Falcon had to escape in order to show them the hidden rebel base.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
A Millennium Falcon that can move as fast as them, and stay ahead of them, and has sci-fi space shields as well?
Can move as fast - in the chase seem they did not seem to be moving that much faster than modern day missiles would.
Stay ahead of them - the missiles would be coming in from multiple directions and moving at a faster relative speed.
Space shields - how does that affect the ability to hit them?

If your transport ships and transport planes are spaceships that can enter and leave planetary atmospheres, and have energy shields to block pew-pew lasers, your argument in bringing up the Millennium Falcon would make sense. If a C-5 Galaxy can fly off into space and was protected by shields, yeah, the TIEs would certainly have trouble chasing it down. If a cargo ship could lead these space fighters into an asteroid field and outmaneuver them, if the cargo ship has the engines to blast off a planet and shit, sure. :lol:
100 tie fighters would have to find the transport ships. The Ocean is pretty large relative to a tie fighter. Once they find them, they have to hit the transport ships and sink them for your plan to work. This takes fuel, ammo and time, non of which the invasion force has much of.

If the US Military's transports looked like this and had Tony Stark in his Iron Man suit flying escort, yeah, and maybe with Obidiah Stane as his wingman, both using their Arc Reactors to power their repulsor afterburners, and maybe with Hammeroids flying in formation with them... :lol:

I know the Tentagon is developing these weapons systems. I don't have a source. Fine. You can doubt me. Blah! :lol:
Again, you're nitpicking.